As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Bring back the building destruction table for superheavies to melee buildings they can’t enter.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    After playing Death Guard and a bit of admech I'm excited to play something fast... So probably kraken to start off.

The starter come with kit to make a mawloc/trygon. Which is better, or are they just different/situational?

I would advise that, whatever else you buy to start with, buy at least two boxes of gants or gaunts.

Assemble them, paint them, call those good.

You will appreciate the screening units, and you will REALLY appreciate the other kits that much more.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    After playing Death Guard and a bit of admech I'm excited to play something fast... So probably kraken to start off.

The starter come with kit to make a mawloc/trygon. Which is better, or are they just different/situational?

Very different units. Trygons are absolutely nasty close combat monsters, relatively fragile, and are nice for popping other stuff up with the Jorm stratagem. Mawlocs exist to pop up and mortal wound the hell out of everything around them, then get shot to death next turn.

Neither of those sound top tier :lol:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I haven't even assembled the Trygon from my Start Collecting box...

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I use a Trygon basically just to deliver 30 devourer gaunts to the field, sometimes it even makes it into combat by itself and promptly dies!
    Although in my game this evening it did manage to take out a Keeper of Secrets in the world's luckiest break, I even got to use the Implant Attack strategem properly, exciting stuff...

• Options
    How does the trygon ability work? Units have to be deployed "wholly" within 3" of it. That doesn't seem like you can cram in that many units.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    How does the trygon ability work? Units have to be deployed "wholly" within 3" of it. That doesn't seem like you can cram in that many units.

It has a very large base, you can easily fit 30 gaunts within 3 inches of its base. Works easiest with dakka gaunts.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Good god, I don't wanna prep more gaunts...

Second box of twelve is still unopened. First box in final stages of painting.

Send halp

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

It has a very large base, you can easily fit 30 gaunts within 3 inches of its base. Works easiest with dakka gaunts.

Ohhhh, ok. That makes more sense.

Just got home with my start collecting Tyranids box :D

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Not really necessary, but I got a coat hanger and bent it into an oval 3” larger than the trygons base for easy deepstrikes.

• Options
    Not really necessary, but I got a coat hanger and bent it into an oval 3” larger than the trygons base for easy deepstrikes.

That's awesome

My wife is going to be super confused.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Q: If a unit declares a charge against an enemy unit that is entirely on the upper level of a terrain feature such as a ruin, Sector Mechanicus structure, etc., but it cannot physically end its charge move within 1" of any models from that unit (either because there is not enough room to place the charging unit, or because the charging unit is unable to end its move on the upper levels of that terrain feature because of the expanded terrain rules for it – as with ruins, for example), does that charge fail?

A: Yes.

What is a "terrain feature"? What's to stop that guy from parking a gunline on top of a square block of terrain that is 1.1" tall and having them be immune to close combat? That's not really common with 40k terrain, but my FLGS has a bunch of small pieces of foam that are cut and painted to be hills or elevated plateaus with ramps and sheer faces and it seems like something that could happen if a player planned their movement for it.

• Options
    That’s why you always discuss beforehand what terrain features do what. And if someone slides a bunch of geometric shapes onto the board that just so happen to fit his gunline, you kindly ask if there’s any other terrain you can use.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Usually things like step up the other size of the table or move to the right {if playing on a square} or theme battles which is really a common one my brother and I play since I have parts of the Garden of Morr {a ton of graves and one tomb} that we test out armies in since We just say it's an Imperial grave world and the various graves and tomb provide a level of cover and you can fly over them you cannot land on them kind of stuff
    So it's nice to learn about what your army can do when the graves are ramdomly laid in lines and the tomb is somewhere in a nearly set table

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I really want to get some Garden of Morr terrain, although I only play 40k so it doesn't really fit thematically.

It looks cool as hell, though. I dig the idea of an ancient Imperial grave world for long forgotten nobles/VIPs/war heroes though.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I really want to get some Garden of Morr terrain, although I only play 40k so it doesn't really fit thematically.

It looks cool as hell, though. I dig the idea of an ancient Imperial grave world for long forgotten nobles/VIPs/war heroes though.

Put a bunch of Imperial statues and such inbetween, add a ruin of a 40k church and there you go, Imperial Shrine World.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    That’s why you always discuss beforehand what terrain features do what. And if someone slides a bunch of geometric shapes onto the board that just so happen to fit his gunline, you kindly ask if there’s any other terrain you can use.

People at my store have taken to including a Skyshield landing pad in their lists and just sticking their whole gunlines on top of that so they can't be charged, it is, er, pretty silly.

• Options
    Oh man, necrons with Tesla weapons would love that. Sit underneath it and unload into the landing pad and zap the shit out of everyone standing on it.

• Options
    The Knight codex previews make me think one thing:

Where's my 1st person rpg / mech simulator where you start out out as a lowly infantry peasant, get elated to Knight status, rise up through the ranks of the house and finally become the Lord.

The sequel starts with the household getting ruined in a bombastic opening sequence. Then the title card: Freeblade

Both games include a home base building system. The first one is about building up the houshold fortress which has been in disrepair for the last millenia. In the sequel you build up the rogue trader vessel and it's supporting fleet you're hitching a ride on.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    The Knight codex previews make me think one thing:

Where's my 1st person rpg / mech simulator where you start out out as a lowly infantry peasant, get elated to Knight status, rise up through the ranks of the house and finally become the Lord.

The sequel starts with the household getting ruined in a bombastic opening sequence. Then the title card: Freeblade

Both games include a home base building system. The first one is about building up the houshold fortress which has been in disrepair for the last millenia. In the sequel you build up the rogue trader vessel and it's supporting fleet you're hitching a ride on.

It’s not a knight but there’s a titan turn based mech game coming out that might be like this.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Wishlisting for 40k computer games, I'd like to see an isometric Infinity Engine-esque (Balder's Gate style) affair where you are a Rogue Trader, fly around in your ship, can bring a party of up to six characters down to the surface, etc, the usual fare for that genre.

And then add in crazy 40k options like "take three fewer party members and you can go forth in this crazy giant stompy robot" or stolen Crisis Suit or whatever. And a party member could be a grumpy Dreadnought or something (maybe that takes two party slots, too), run wild with it. At every planet have an option to just take off and nuke the site from orbit.

Basically I see a lot of actiony 40k games like Space Marine and that new Inquisitor game, and a few strategy ones, although only the first Dawn of War worked for me personally, but it would be a nice to see a RPG with party building and the whole nine yards.

Just make the protagonist a Rogue Trader or Inquisitor and they can do whatever the fuck they want. Xenos party members? Sure. Chaos party members? No problem, radical Inquisitors straight up summon demons to fight fire with fire sometimes. Rogue Traders can be even more ridiculous, if you can believe it, when playing the eponymous Pen & Paper RPG it was possible to have your Warrant of Trade (aka your license to do whatever the fuck you want) be so old it was signed by the Emperor himself.

Let me tell you, nothing shuts up a Deathwatch Watch Captain giving you a hard time about the Xenos modifications to your ship as quickly as pulling out a document with the Big E's autograph on it!

Lanlaorn on
  • Options
    https://warhammer-community.com/2018/06/01/codexes-kings-cawdors-and-more/

Next up after Knights are Space Wolves and Orks.

Also GSC seem to be getting new models
    UKExpo-June1-GSCult6nc.jpg

Cawdor preview:
    UKExpo-June1-Cawdor3ln.jpg

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I have sold a single model of my orks and I will probably be able to unload them now to someone with less effort. Yay!

The model I did sell was my metal big mek that is out of print for $30 bucks. Which is about average with ebay.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Wishlisting for 40k computer games, I'd like to see an isometric Infinity Engine-esque (Balder's Gate style) affair where you are a Rogue Trader, fly around in your ship, can bring a party of up to six characters down to the surface, etc, the usual fare for that genre.

And then add in crazy 40k options like "take three fewer party members and you can go forth in this crazy giant stompy robot" or stolen Crisis Suit or whatever. And a party member could be a grumpy Dreadnought or something (maybe that takes two party slots, too), run wild with it. At every planet have an option to just take off and nuke the site from orbit.

Basically I see a lot of actiony 40k games like Space Marine and that new Inquisitor game, and a few strategy ones, although only the first Dawn of War worked for me personally, but it would be a nice to see a RPG with party building and the whole nine yards.

Just make the protagonist a Rogue Trader or Inquisitor and they can do whatever the fuck they want. Xenos party members? Sure. Chaos party members? No problem, radical Inquisitors straight up summon demons to fight fire with fire sometimes. Rogue Traders can be even more ridiculous, if you can believe it, when playing the eponymous Pen & Paper RPG it was possible to have your Warrant of Trade (aka your license to do whatever the fuck you want) be so old it was signed by the Emperor himself.

Let me tell you, nothing shuts up a Deathwatch Watch Captain giving you a hard time about the Xenos modifications to your ship as quickly as pulling out a document with the Big E's autograph on it!

Heck, I just want a turn-based 40K game. Use a simplified XCOM engine and give me full armies.

I'll never leave the house.

• Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »

Heck, I just want a turn-based 40K game. Use a simplified XCOM engine and give me full armies.

They are making an XCOM meets AdMech which could be cool.

• Options
    I'm full up on Imperials tho.

Like... I just really don't want to touch another Imperial product until they release female Guad models. And, even then, I don't wanna be roped into playing Imperials in electronic form if I can help it (which I can... by not buying the product).

Just, none of the Imperial sub-factions hold any appeal for me on a fluff or aesthetic level, aside from IG. Purely a matter of taste. Well... and the fact that they've managed to repeatedly release more Imperial books, armies, models, and accessories (looking at you, never-ending tide of new Chapters/shoulder pads) over the years whilst letting entire other armies go years and/or decades without new stuff.

I guess that's where I grognard.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I hate imperials. I have orks and chaos for a reason.

Though I will probably sell my orks, I don't like how they play in 8th and painting them gets tedious, and will use that money to buy an imperial army. And it is because you can make really interesting mixed things using soup for Imperials.

Also sometimes even as Chaos, the second in soup, I feel like a second class citizen.

Knights codex comes out, GW straight up states I have to use the index. No traitor guard or dark mechanicum to ally with. Models that are old enough to drink. I mean the CSM book is amazing. I can field multiple competitive and fluffy armies. I have a lot of flexibility and its fun.

But I would like something more than more chaos marines or daemons to ally in sometimes.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I'm full up on Imperials tho.

Orks be coming!

Question, so, let us say there's a thin wall between my dudes and enemy dudes. Neither model can see over it, but if they're both base to base against the wall, they're within one inch of each other. Can they melee each other?

Same as in a building...multi-story, one guy's on third floor, one's on fourth, but their bases are exactly 1 inch apart, can they fight? That'd require like a ceiling / floor of less 2mm or less, but just asking.....

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Imperials are dope sorry folks.

Knights rule chaos drools.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Wrapped up the Ferrus Manus Primarchs novel.

Of the Primarchs novels I've read so far (Perturabo/Magnus/Russ/Manus) it probably has the most insight into the Primarch himself. He's a hard character to like, but it was a pretty good book. The subsidiary plots were interesting and it does a good job of showing why he and Fulgrim were so close.

Would recommend.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I'm genuinely excited to see the Orks codex.

I just wish they'd update the models a bit. Boyz are showing their age pretty hard.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I would love a 40k action game that doesn't have the player be a space marine. I wanna play a 40k game where I can be Necrons or Tau.

I think I still have a copy of Fire Warrior some where.

Is it actually Space Wolves before Orks?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    I’d like to see something similar to Primaris Marines for Orks with Skarboyz, aka the orks that fought an unending war with Tyranids that escalated until there were Warbosses the size of buildings.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I hate imperials. I have orks and chaos for a reason.

Though I will probably sell my orks, I don't like how they play in 8th and painting them gets tedious, and will use that money to buy an imperial army. And it is because you can make really interesting mixed things using soup for Imperials.

Also sometimes even as Chaos, the second in soup, I feel like a second class citizen.

Knights codex comes out, GW straight up states I have to use the index. No traitor guard or dark mechanicum to ally with. Models that are old enough to drink. I mean the CSM book is amazing. I can field multiple competitive and fluffy armies. I have a lot of flexibility and its fun.

But I would like something more than more chaos marines or daemons to ally in sometimes.

It was hard to come to terms with the fact that I love the idea of Chaos Space Marines more than the physical army. I really like how all of my daemons look though

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    I would love a 40k action game that doesn't have the player be a space marine. I wanna play a 40k game where I can be Necrons or Tau.

I think I still have a copy of Fire Warrior some where.

Is it actually Space Wolves before Orks?

So far the release schedule adhered to the order of the pictures in the warcom articles, I think.

• Options
    Imperials are dope sorry folks.

Knights rule chaos drools.

False

Also, what are Knights?

No, I know what they are. Let me rephrase:

Why are Knights? [/Drax]

Knights were never, ever a thing, for thirty years. That was never a thing. Nobody sat around for ten years thinking "damn, I wish GW would release models and a codex for Knights." Never happened, because they were never a thing, period. Almost the same with Custodes. Custodes was just a word that popped up in the fluff occasionally.

So, what we've got is a situation where, just to use my two armies as examples:

In 3rd Ed, they introduced mycetic spores and winged tyrants/warriors. I was maybe seventeen years old when that codex was released. Wings were sculpted and included in the Tyrant box, what... five years ago? Wings for warriors were only available through FW (after how many years?), and have now been discontinued and written out of the codex; multiple codexes had entries for winged warriors and Tyrants and mycetic spores in the time between 1999 and when these things happened. Mycetic spores became part of the reason the company renamed whole product lines. The Tyranids codexes have been packed with units that didn't have models.

Imperial Guard originally had pewter models for, let me count... three? regiments other than Catachans and Cadians; full lines of pewters for those regiments- heavy and special weapons, officers, characters. Steel Legion were added, IN PEWTER, after the Cadian and Catachan plastics were released and extremely popular. Do they even make plastic Catachans any more? Where can I even get Steel Legion?

But thank God we've got these giant robots.

Oh, and then there's the Imperial faction that people have been trying to play for twenty years: Sisters of Battle. They're getting plastics... sometime this year? Will they be their own army? If so, will they be released, then disappear in the next edition, like they did twenty years ago? Who knows! What we do know is that we'll get Knights.

I've had friends quit the hobby entirely because GW kept squeezing out shoulder pads and flying refrigerators. I was obnoxiously salty when Grey Knights released because... Again, thank God there's a new type of space marine, while I'm ordering the best melee weapon for my army, which has been unsupported for three codexes, from FW, and having to completely fabricate a transport by hand. This was also when Orks were missing their best vehicles, and GW was still making something called Vostroyans for some reason.

No, Knights don't rule. They actively dump on the portion of the customer base that has been loyalish for decades and don't play astartes or other Imperials. Those people do exist, and they'd probably add to the customer base further, if they got anything like equal love to the power armor and Imperial soup players.

Sorry...

Still salty, I guess.

• Options
    I hate to break up your rant but knights have been around for close to 30 years

WD126-Knights-Imperial-Houses1.jpg

• Options

They are making an XCOM meets AdMech which could be cool.

Necromunda with the Xcom engine would be cool

• Options
    I hate to break up your rant but knights have been around for close to 30 years

WD126-Knights-Imperial-Houses1.jpg

I'll be damned and corrected!

We're those actually a part of the game when that was printed? Were they in codexes?

• Options
    Still I am very curious about the Ork codex
    The Space Wolf one well that is a day one buy because it's been my brother's army for ages and in the fallout of War Zone Fenris I am curious in what state is the army now.
    The Crawdor look like how they are rumored to be junkers