As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I've been playing 2 knights plus one or two armigers backed up by guard against a friend's almost all infantry necrons (usually a couple doom scythes & doomsday ark) over the past month. Not always the best lists and I've made some bad moves, but hes won every game, easily. Usually every knight dies, mostly to tesla (my will be done is broken as fuck on some units) but generally due to just volume of mid/low strength shots rather than heavy anti-armor guns thanks to the ion shield. The crap rules for terrain/buildings this edition don't help either as you need to assault in that particular matchup. My macharius vulcan thats about the same stat line as a knight dies in about 2 round to the ark alone due to the lack of an invuln for comparison.

Knights are tough but not nearly as bad as some people tend to think (probably a hold over form when they first came out) and their offence isn't that great compared to the equivalent points of Russes or Vultures depending on the target. That is assuming you're using the two Admech stratagems for them too as much as possible. But its still more fun that the all guard list I was doing better with a few months ago with, at least with this some units actually move.

Edit: though I don't have the book in front of me, from what i can gather about some of the necron rules, he can't actually do some of the more ridiculous things with necron abilities from the last couple games because the keyword restrictions on them don't allow it.

Ogotai on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Ogotai wrote: »
    I've been playing 2 knights plus one or two armigers backed up by guard against a friend's almost all infantry necrons (usually a couple doom scythes & doomsday ark)
    All infantry but a couple doom scythes and doomsday ark? :).

Edit: though I don't have the book in front of me, from what i can gather about some of the necron rules, he can't actually do some of the more ridiculous things with necron abilities from the last couple games because the keyword restrictions on them don't allow it.
    What'd he do?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    novaspike wrote: »
    "Oh cool, old deamonette art...*click*"

wm9s4zq1d4e9.png

eqmcnclz5ejc.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The one thing baffling me about the Harlequin Codex is the pistol pricing.

The Fusion Pistol has a 6 inch range, is S8, -4 AP, deals D6 damage, and if you're within half range you can roll two dice for damage and discard the lowest. Cool, that's 9 points.

The Neuro Disrupter has a 12 inch range, is S4, -3 AP, deals D3 damage (but only 1 to vehicles) and... costs 10 points?

Why?

• Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I've been playing 2 knights plus one or two armigers backed up by guard against a friend's almost all infantry necrons (usually a couple doom scythes & doomsday ark)
    All infantry but a couple doom scythes and doomsday ark? :).

What'd he do?

Put my will be done on the ark & tomb blades, which I thought had an infantry only restriction? Also not sure last game if he was treating tesla rolls of 6+ as 3 hits or 3 additional hits, though I might have just miss heard what he said.

The only vehicle he always brings is the ark, not always the flyers. I'm not sure why he bothers with the flyers as he just moved them into melta range of something turn one then they die after the main gun bounces off the ion shields usually. But still like 60-70+ necrons is a pain to try to kill on their own.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Burnage wrote: »
    The one thing baffling me about the Harlequin Codex is the pistol pricing.

The Fusion Pistol has a 6 inch range, is S8, -4 AP, deals D6 damage, and if you're within half range you can roll two dice for damage and discard the lowest. Cool, that's 9 points.

The Neuro Disrupter has a 12 inch range, is S4, -3 AP, deals D3 damage (but only 1 to vehicles) and... costs 10 points?

Why?
    Sounds like GW prices range as being a big modifier to their point scaling. I am not saying it's correct in this instance, but you just know someone somewhere was like "It has DOUBLE RANGE".

Are there stratagems or rules or perks for them to specifically target characters? If they are, it looks like an assassin style weapon.
    Put my will be done on the ark & tomb blades, which I thought had an infantry only restriction? Also not sure last game if he was treating tesla rolls of 6+ as 3 hits or 3 additional hits, though I might have just miss heard what he said.

The only vehicle he always brings is the ark, not always the flyers. I'm not sure why he bothers with the flyers as he just moved them into melta range of something turn one then they die after the main gun bounces off the ion shields usually. But still like 60-70+ necrons is a pain to try to kill on their own.

My Will Be Done / Wave of Command is infantry only. Yay for Destroyers being infantry (except when fighting DEldar, boo).

Tesla rolls of 6 are two additional hits to the hit, so yes, 6+ is basically 3 hits instead of 1. Remember, if you are able to give your guys -1 to hit, this basically F's Tesla.

I think a Doomsday Ark is a permanent part of any Necron List I build. I actually want a second one. Maybe even a third.

Necron flyers seem to blow.

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    I think the Warhammer Adventures concept is awesome. With a seven year old daughter who just asked to play 40k sometime and who has painted a handful of miniatures, this is right up our alley. (And to be honest the Grimdark of 40k has always felt a little tongue and cheek and taken way too seriously at times. There is no reason there can't be kid friendly adventures within the universe. You don't have to bring in all the details and themes that are more aimed at teenagers).

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Even kids don't like kid friendly adventures, I remember reading in one postmortem of the Star Wars prequels how 10 year old Anakin in The Phantom Menace was a waste of time. Presumably George Lucas went that direction to appeal to kids and... polling shows kids identified more with the adults in that movie, with adult Anakin in later movies and especially adult Anakin in the Clone Wars cartoon - which I haven't seen but hear is pretty grim and dark.

I don't mind Games Workshop trying to hook kids when they're young, but IMO this wouldn't be the way to do it, just make the stuff you target at kids less murderous toward humans and near-human Xenos - no parent will even blink if you kill hordes of Daemons and Necrons, etc.

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    - no parent will even blink if you kill hordes of Daemons and Necrons, etc.
    Necrons are people, too :(. They were here first,even.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Well, kid friendly is different from pandering to kids. My hope is that these will be the former. I agree kids can handle plenty of dark stuff (look at some of the content in Harry Potter, Coraline, etc.), so it doesn't have to be puppies and kittens in the 41st millennium. It'll remain to be see how well written they are; they can't be worse than some of the stuff out there :)

UreshiiAkuma on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Yeah, it really comes to how didactic vs subversive it ends up being and how well written it ends up being.

Like, I loved Phantom Tollbooth as a kid and that's aimed at kids and preachy as shit. But it was written well so I enjoyed it.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I got into Warhammer in general at 10: I did not need a special version of it to do so.

But no let's be sure to instabook twort all the Hungry Pottermon.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I’m reminded of Joe Abercrombie’s turn at writing YA books and how they ended not too dissimilar from his (grim dark) adult books.

They just weren’t quite as descriptive when it came to the sex scenes and how people died.

Obviously I don’t know what the tone of these books are, but they could still be in keeping with the tone of 40k (I don’t know much about AoS but it doesn’t seem quite as dark).

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    The focus on children protagonists weirdly makes it MORE grimdark. Like, children don't really show up that much in other 40k lore because it's such a horrible setting. There's a few teenaged characters (usually latent psykers) and some references to stuff like sola progenium and gangs and whatnot, but for the most part, they're relatively low profile. No one really wants to read what happens when a bunch of slaanesh cultists get into an orphanage...

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    True, considering the backstory for one of the kids is he deserted from being conscripted into the imperial guard and is now running around with hive world gangers, while his brother is off fighting for the Imperium who-knows-where, I think it shows how 40k could actually make a good background for this kind of story.
    Ultimately, even if they are well written, these books certainly won't be for everyone. But they are another avenue to potentially get more people into the hobby. The more diversity and inclusiveness you have, the more vibrant its future will ultimately be. Heck, without mass-market games made for kids like "Heroquest," I may have never gotten into the hobby...

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    40k is still dumb edgelord garbage that no respectable adult would be caught dead with. Sure it's violent as hell but there's no boobies! It's fine for the 10+ crowd!

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    40k is still dumb edgelord garbage that no respectable adult would be caught dead with. Sure it's violent as hell but there's no boobies! It's fine for the 10+ crowd!

Funny I heard someone say something similar about Game of Thrones before HBO picked it up...

"It has incest for god's sake!"

This isn't to say that there isn't a crap-ton of pulpy Warhammer "literature", but it's come a hell of a long way. It's still hard to believe they've been doing the Heresy series for 10 years, and that series has even evolved in that time.

A properly done mature tv series in 40k is absolutely possible, it's just hard to do because 1. budget 2. GW is likely loathe to blow the lid off of the darker aspects to parents buying toy soldiers for their kids.

People have torched Harry Potter novels over the fact that they're just wizards ffs

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I think that, maybe, you didn't add the requisite pile observe the Seven Sacred Rites of Sarcasm needed to fully process a Dr_Keenbean post.

edit: I forgot which thread I was in.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    Part of me hopes these stories were winners of the Black Library author search.

I know they aren't, but still.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    40k is pulp. Fun pulp and it embraces its pulpiness. Which is what I like about it.

This is the universe where daemons can have 6 boobs or aliens are totally not xenomorphs or you are riding in a tank but have a sword to hit things.

It works because sometimes it is fun to be over the top.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I think that, maybe, you didn't add the requisite pile observe the Seven Sacred Rites of Sarcasm needed to fully process a Dr_Keenbean post.

edit: I forgot which thread I was in.

Yeah I was all over the place with that post. I can see how it was difficult to parse.

Basically 40k doesn't need to be made into kid's stuff because it's been appealing to teens and pre-teens for the last 30 years - this seems a redundant product. And then I kind of meandered into snarking on how american parents don't care if their kids see horrible violence but even mention a nipple and they lose their shit.

To be clear though, I don't actually care about them making 40k stories for kids either way and they certainly don't need my approval and if it brings greater diversity to the hobby then I support it 400%.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Honestly, it puts me in mind of Star Wars and how they've had books aimed at younger readers for ages, even when the first trilogy were the only films around. There were novels with super dark mass killing and planetary destruction, and then there was lighter stuff were Luke and co. save the whales on Mon Calamari.

40k is certainly appealing even to the youth (I know I was captivated by all the art and awesome painted models in the first Games Workshop I ever saw), but it's also kind've a pricey hobby to get into. A $12 book full of illustrations might be a lot more appealing to parents than a $100+ box of models that they'll also need to buy books and painting supplies and so forth for.

Plus, it's just too cute. I think it's adorable that the martian tech-priest kid is named 'Mekki'. Can't wait until they have to team up with some juvenile ork named 'Gorkus' or something.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    And Timmy, the Tiniest Hive Tyrant

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »

I'm not even ashamed that I want this.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »

Oh man, and you know the kids would, like, save Timmy from a trap or something, and it refrains from eating them out of gratitude, and then later on when the kids are in a tight spot and cornered by other tyranids Timmy comes stomping in to rescue them, full-grown but is still their friend because of that one act of kindness from earlier.

And Timmy gives one mournful glance back at the gang as he goes to rejoin the Hive Fleet.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    With the Citadel Hero bases I kind of want a few of them but I had a few questions
    Can you fix the tank turret to have an intact gun or would that trail off the base too much?
    And other ones I feel I can answer with a deep dive into less than savory places

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    FroThulhu wrote: »

Oh man, and you know the kids would, like, save Timmy from a trap or something, and it refrains from eating them out of gratitude, and then later on when the kids are in a tight spot and cornered by other tyranids Timmy comes stomping in to rescue them, full-grown but is still their friend because of that one act of kindness from earlier.

And Timmy gives one mournful glance back at the gang as he goes to rejoin the Hive Fleet.

Actual spoiler of Stranger Things!

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Damn, they beat me to the punch of writing a cyberpunk coming-of-age story featuring a young person becoming a Tech-Priest of the Mechanicus. While in school, they are made aware of a disturbing conspiracy that traces back to the Subsector Administratum! A conspiracy that undermines every principle that the protagonist's society is founded upon! (Oh no!)
    In the end, the protagonist decides to continue the conspiracy, because GRIMDARK they see the reason why everything has to be this way.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Goddamnit!

The Trump admin has taken my ability to understand sarcasm on the internet out back and shot it firmly in the back of the head.

RIP

• Options
    WHA-Scooby.jpg
    Abaddon would've gotten away with it, too!

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Honestly, it puts me in mind of Star Wars and how they've had books aimed at younger readers for ages, even when the first trilogy were the only films around. There were novels with super dark mass killing and planetary destruction, and then there was lighter stuff were Luke and co. save the whales on Mon Calamari.

40k is certainly appealing even to the youth (I know I was captivated by all the art and awesome painted models in the first Games Workshop I ever saw), but it's also kind've a pricey hobby to get into. A $12 book full of illustrations might be a lot more appealing to parents than a $100+ box of models that they'll also need to buy books and painting supplies and so forth for.

Plus, it's just too cute. I think it's adorable that the martian tech-priest kid is named 'Mekki'. Can't wait until they have to team up with some juvenile ork named 'Gorkus' or something.

Price point aside, lots of conscientious parents aren't going to let their 8-12 year old buy warhammer stuff when they see the art and illustrations.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    in your opinion (yes, YOU) would an autocannon or assault cannon be netter for a contemptor. I think I'm finally going to pull the trigger on that Imperial fist contemptor dread.

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, I want the cyclone launcher with it too. I may go autocannon. I plan to get a redemptor for my Deathwatch, and I definitely like the autocannon option on that one.

And when I say I like something, I am referring to looks only. I don't math well, so mathammer is a bit beyond me. I'm sure the plasma option is awesome, but the autocannon looks really rad.

EDIT the second: After more research, I don't like the way the Cyclone missile launcher looks on the Contemptor. And I do really like the twin autocannon arm. I think I'll get that one.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    kaliyama wrote: »

Price point aside, lots of conscientious parents aren't going to let their 8-12 year old buy warhammer stuff when they see the art and illustrations.

Y'know, I don't think as many would object as you might think. And I'm not even accusing parents of being oblivious or neglectful of what their kids consume. Most Warhammer art actually isn't especially gory or graphic - 90% of it is groups of yelling angry super-guys. Or a painting of two groups of yelling guys about to hit each other with hammers. I googled official warhammer art right now and out of dozens there's like one guy actually getting shot with an impact and everything. There's shooting, but heck G.I. Joe had shooting.

And I know someone can dig out the art of some Slaanesh daemon with her tits out licking a guy's face off, but there's like only one or two pieces like that out of hundreds of dramatic battleman poses, and that particular pic is from a side spin-off big time RPG anyway, not the usual stuff. The average magazine of White Dwarf is just gonna have cool models and some rad paintings.

At any rate, I think the reason these books exist in the first place is precisely so that the GW guys can point them out to parents with concerns about the other stuff being too heavy for their kids.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Or maybe I'll just not buy it again and wish I could afford it. I could also get a Vulture and twin Punisher cannons for it for almost the same price.

The Damocles Rhino also looks pretty neat and would look good as a Deathwatch Rhino.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Valhalla's last two posts are me whenever a family member gives me a Steam giftcard.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I think the children’s books are fine if funny due to their contrast against how the universe is usually seen.

My basis of looking at the universe is from the black library books like the first few Horus Heresy books, Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Space Wolves, Caiaphas Cain, and Gaunts Ghosts where they range from serious to still semi-serious if self parodying. Is it pulp? Yeah, but I like the characters taking this crazy galaxy seriously. I personally don’t like to compare things as adult vs for kids.

The flavor is derivative, but it all comes together in the sweetest mixed sauce I ever tasted.

I think that my view of it all comes from me basically seeing the universe from the parts other than the codices. I give not one shit about the wargame except for what my friend who plays it does or wants to share about it because he’s my dude. I came to this universe from Dawn of War and have stayed in that like outer strata of media with the videogames, books, and RPGs. There’s a divide between something like the second edition codex and Eisenhorn wanting like psychological help for veterans in a short story.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Or maybe I'll just not buy it again and wish I could afford it. I could also get a Vulture and twin Punisher cannons for it for almost the same price.

The Damocles Rhino also looks pretty neat and would look good as a Deathwatch Rhino.

I have a vulture I don't remember where I got it from but I remember all the hoops and effort it took to get it
    Just it was one of the last things I got as I remember needing a hobby saw to saw off all the pour markings and such
    Now I am stuck in a similar problem as I need a saw once more to do something but more of a vice since taping it down seems to not be ideal

I was not sold on the Primaris marines. sure hell blasters and the Aggressors seemed to really give my black templars an upgrade in fire power but that army took a back seat to learning the game again and finding out what I had
    I got the deathwatch codex and well I am stopping myself there as I see the ideal and possibilities to build a death watch army with primaris stuff

• Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    So they started a slow grow league at my local shop. I decided to join in with Tyranids.

I bought the following:
    Get Started Playing x2
    1x Genestealers
    3x Hormagaunts
    1x Venomthropes
    1x Hive Tyrant

I think the meta is very shooty. Any suggestions for playstyles and expanding after this?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Hive guard.

Can’t shoot you if they can’t see you.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    All your stuff is focused on melee, so it might be best to double down on it. Run the tyrant as a swarmlord, get some more genestealers, and run the slingshot to get your guys in their lines turn one. Shooty metas can’t shoot with all your dudes in their faces.

FC: 1435-5383-0883