Check out this thread for an update on DJ Eebs.

Youtubin'

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I used to love the idea of our mother star enveloping us, scouring the planet down to a molten core

but now I think hey, I live on our planet! I DON'T want the entire thing incinerated!

See, it's like the sun becoming a red giant is a hobgoblin...

Do what you can to elect Harris/Walz and downticket Dem candidates in your area by doorknocking, phonebanking, or postcarding: https://www.mobilize.us/
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Psh, you're only conceding to the laws of thermodynamics because they've convinced you it's inevitable.

There's nothing science can't do if we just wish hard enough!

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amjuJJwI3iM
    Could Aliens Build A Rocket To Escape A Super Earth?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »

Didn't CGPGrey already do this video a few months ago, just with less allegory?

6 months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C25qzDhGLx8

It's a topic he's passionate about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_far_future

The laws of thermodynamics say you're nicked, sonny jim.

Nobody wants to live forever, they just don't want to die.

Actually we can outlive the universe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulCdoCfw-bY&t=0s

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Deans wrote: »

6 months ago

The main problem I have with living forever is that if the cure for death were invented fifteen years ago, Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms would 100% still be in office. Sometimes generations just have to die off before we can do the work.

It's not just racist politicians, either. As the quite dead Max Planck said, "Science advances one funeral at a time."

I don't want to die, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the future of the human race so my ass can sit around and play video games for the next couple of millennia.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Yeah that video is a whole lot of bullshit.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Deans wrote: »

6 months ago

The main problem I have with living forever is that if the cure for death were invented fifteen years ago, Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms would 100% still be in office. Sometimes generations just have to die off before we can do the work.

It's not just racist politicians, either. As the quite dead Max Planck said, "Science advances one funeral at a time."

I don't want to die, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the future of the human race so my ass can sit around and play video games for the next couple of millennia.

I'd rather live forever and spend a thousand years fixing all the problems that causes than die in 80 years because that's more convenient. This might seem a bit selfish. And it is. And I don't care because I don't want to die.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Things getting better because older generations die off is a myth

liEt3nH.png
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Turns out older generations are pretty good at indoctrinating new generations

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I just watched the dragon tyrant video and that reaper one and both were terrible

Like they annoyed me the same way condescending atheist videos do

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Things getting better because older generations die off is a myth

It's a combination of things. It doesn't help if the older generation has convinced the younger generation to have very similar views. It's only if the younger generation has a progressive plan of action AND the older people in power retire, are politically defeated, or die that things improve.

Edit: Obviously the older generation in power changing their mind would also be a solution.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Thinking that your generation has it together and the older generation needs to die off so things can change is just a slacktivist way of smoking your own pole. It ignores the history of fighters for social rights, the amount of intolerance among your own generation, and also the number of times that societies have backslid through history. Like man, MAN! There was some great LGBT research in pre-Nazi Germany that we wouldn't see anything like again for decades!

liEt3nH.png
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    if people live to a billion then someone's gonna train at flipping a water bottle for all of that billion and oh man they're gonna nail it

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    you might not think that would solve any social or political problems but to this point no one has tried it, the results could be anything

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    you might not think that would solve any social or political problems but to this point no one has tried it, the results could be anything

the yeet heard 'round the world

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Football in the year 17776

I'd be ok with that kind of future.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    if people live to a billion then someone's gonna train at flipping a water bottle for all of that billion and oh man they're gonna nail it

the My Longest Yeah Boy Ever kid just yeah boy-ing for 85 years straight

Crippl3 on
    Kingdom Hearts 4 OP Extended [10,000 yrs]

CD World Tour status:
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Plus if you have the technology to live forever, you probably have the technology to allow someone to not lose as much of the ability to change your mind as you get older as we normally do.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    far from a new idea, but easily the best execution of it I've seen

https://youtu.be/jr0sdu3uJFg

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    far from a new idea, but easily the best execution of it I've seen

I was disappointed there was no Mei vs Pyro duel.

RT800 on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

That's cool.

That is clearly not the attitude of the Simpsons in general though.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I just watched the dragon tyrant video and that reaper one and both were terrible

Like they annoyed me the same way condescending atheist videos do

It's just stunningly self-absorbed to think that you're uncovering the eyes of the sheeple by suggesting that everyone being immortal and living in utopia could be... good?

And all we have to do is all agree to prioritize the life-extending efforts that will definitely lead to a utopia despite nothing at all suggesting that is a likely result. And incidentally it will save this person from having to deal with the existential crisis we all must face but that's not the point at all.

Everyone wants to be raptured, it doesn't really rate as an insight.

Edit: Like fuck, to look at the ways people deal with the incalculable grief of death and be like "Oh so they're in a better place now? So you've bought into the propaganda?" is fucking wild

durandal4532 on
    Do what you can to elect Harris/Walz and downticket Dem candidates in your area by doorknocking, phonebanking, or postcarding: https://www.mobilize.us/
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    You seem to assume that somebody approaching the idea that dying is bad and immortality would be good as something most people would probably accept. This is not necessarily the case. And to someone who holds the position that immortality would be a good thing we should be working towards, people who don't think physical immortality would be good and/or believe in an afterlife and think that dying is what we're supposed to do to get to another world can be a hindrance to that goal. After all, why would people who assume that while sad and tragic for many, death is ultimately a right and righteous thing want to spend a lot of effort preventing it indefinitely?

I admit I haven't seen either video, but is it like, directly addressed to people who have recently lost loved ones? Or is it supposed to be played at funerals? If not, why the outrage at the audacity of someone to say "So hey, maybe dying is actually exactly as shitty as it seems and we should be doing more about stopping it from happening than consoling ourselves with the idea that it ultimately leads to a good outcome." You don't have to agree with this position, but you don't have to treat as an inherently insulting or offensive position to take.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    I'm just wondering why we assume that whatever procedure that keeps death at Bay would be free for everyone? It would probably be ridiculously expensive and exclusively only for the most wealthy (at least in America).

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Who's to say they haven't already discovered the secrets of life everlasting, shared only among the elite of shadow-cabals like the Illuminati?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

the first ever essays were written by a grouchy retired Frenchman and were mainly just him opining about stuff

youtube video essays are getting a little out of hand but "too opinionated" isn't at all one of the reasons

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering why we assume that whatever procedure that keeps death at Bay would be free for everyone? It would probably be ridiculously expensive and exclusively only for the most wealthy (at least in America).

The wisdom is that

a) there wouldn't be a single magic bullet injection or pill or procedure that would "beat death" but rather a collection of maintenance treatments that indefinitely extend life. A reasonable evolution of current medical practice creating treatments similar to a regular visit to the dentist or trip to the clinic to get some antibiotics and these treatments would become mundane as the aforementioned procedures have

b) a democratic society wouldn't stand for only a certain percentage of the population having access to these treatments, realizing that when "healthcare" means never having to die it instantly becomes the single most important campaigning point such that a candidate that promised it for everyone would easily get the majority vote

c) the economy of scale producing and performing these treatments would very quickly lower the cost of them to a point where they would be eminently affordable to the aforementioned governments

Put simply, if the technology to indefinitely extend life became available, it would become so important to society that it would need to be free for everyone. If the 1% had access to it and denied access to the 99%, they would quickly realize that never getting sick is for shit when the guillotine is knocking down your door.

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Ah.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    darunia106 wrote: »

The wisdom is that

a) there wouldn't be a single magic bullet injection or pill or procedure that would "beat death" but rather a collection of maintenance treatments that indefinitely extend life. A reasonable evolution of current medical practice creating treatments similar to a regular visit to the dentist or trip to the clinic to get some antibiotics and these treatments would become mundane as the aforementioned procedures have

b) a democratic society wouldn't stand for only a certain percentage of the population having access to these treatments, realizing that when "healthcare" means never having to die it instantly becomes the single most important campaigning point such that a candidate that promised it for everyone would easily get the majority vote

c) the economy of scale producing and performing these treatments would very quickly lower the cost of them to a point where they would be eminently affordable to the aforementioned governments

Put simply, if the technology to indefinitely extend life became available, it would become so important to society that it would need to be free for everyone. If the 1% had access to it and denied access to the 99%, they would quickly realize that never getting sick is for shit when the guillotine is knocking down your door.

You can already apply B&C to food, pharmaceuticals, and healthcare - yet many people are prevented from easy and free access to those things.

I think it is somewhat woefully naive to believe that an immortality treatment wouldn't be made artificially scarce and heavily controlled by those it benefits most.

This discussion has been closed.