As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yu-Gi-Oh!'s...

Left Wing jAyLeft Wing jAy Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
I love me some Yu-Gi, but the last and indeed only game i've played is the 2004 Ed. on the GBA. I'm looking to move onto the DS.

Money's an issue, and 'Nightmare Troubador' is available for like £12, which is good.

Is it worth spending some extra cheddar on one of the more recent updates, like 'Spirit Caller' or the 2007 World Championship thing? I'm concerned about AI and amount of features really.

'Duel Academy' sounded cool on the GBA, gave you extra stuff to do rather than just navigate a set map and duel, so I wondered if 'Spirit Caller' does the same on the DS. Importantly though, i'm not interested in the spin-off games, I just want card duelling (Duellists of the Roses on Ps2 was...upsetting in this regard).

Reviews on these games aren't too easy to get from trusted sources, so if anyone with any experience with them could help, that'd be safe as fuck.

Left Wing jAy on

• Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Im sorry, but as a Brit myself I must ask:

spending some extra cheddar?

Ive never heard that ever. What does it mean? Money? Is it rhyming slang I just dunno.

As for Yu-Gi-Oh, how cool would an Eye of Judgement game be for that. Its practically exactly the animated series.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    cheddar = monies

muninn on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    From my understand, Spirit Caller is what you're looking for. It's basically Duel Academy with a more structured plot and such, and a few gameplay twists (Duel Spirits) and just some cool extra stuff (character customization).

Furu on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Both Spirit Caller and 2007 tourny edition have wifi.

Nightmare Troubador does not.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ahh yes, cheddar...money...don't know where I picked that up.

The cheapest i've seen Spirit Caller is basically RRP, £25, which would seriously dampen my chance of getting something else too (I've borrowed the DS from a family member, and have 1 or 2 decent games available).

Hard to gauge if it's worth double the price for Nightmare Troubador (which I suppose is identical to what i've played for hours on the GBA, except with touch support).

Left Wing jAy on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Spirit Caller if you care at all about playing through a "story mode"

If you just want to throw down some Yu-gi-oh cards, World Championship 2007 is the one for you.

I like WC07 more, personally. Having to walk around to find matches in SC was pretty dumb, as I often wanted to sneak in a quick game before doing something else.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Alternatively Yu-gi-Os would be an awsome ceral.

Belive in the heart of the marshmellows!

Bedlam on
  • Options
    eternal_twilighteternal_twilight Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As as Yugi fan myself, I imported word championship 2007 and certainly was not dissapointed. There's no fucking around with a story and its just straight up dueling. There's the usual gripes such as they left out key cards for certain themes, but all in all its a good game. Not to mention that its out here in blighty in a few weeks.

eternal_twilight on
    Diamond friend code: 5412 6738 6873
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Guys! Stop making me want to re-re buy another Yu-Gi-Oh game. But really, how many Yugi games do there need to be? Are there any significant updates? I consider buying a DS version but remember that the GBA version had all the cards I knew of. Are the DS versions just card/rule updates with some extras like a story mode and touchscreen? And Wi-Fi dueling of course.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    From what I can tell, 'GX Spirit Summoner' adds a few twists to the GBA game, 'GX Duel Academy'.

The PSP one, Tag Force, sounds like a different take on the actual game.

Nightmare Troubador and Tournament 2007 are basically just updates with cards etc.

Really can't decide what I want, it's painful, not to mention incredibly driven by price. DS games are so expensive.

Left Wing jAy on
  • Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I remember playing Duelist of the Rose and liking it. Keep in mind I never played the Yu-gi-Oh card game at all, I had only watched the show. Speaking of which was there ever a Yu-Gi-Oh game that followed the storyline of the show at all?

Artoria on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Don't mean to hijack, but I've got WC 2004, and it's good an all - but I'm a Magic the Gathering man at heart, and like CCGs where you have to use mana to cast.

Is their any MtG-a-likes for gba/ds? Will there be?

Lave II on
  • Options
    BacklashBacklash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Lave II wrote: »
    Don't mean to hijack, but I've got WC 2004, and it's good an all - but I'm a Magic the Gathering man at heart, and like CCGs where you have to use mana to cast.

If you're familiar with the VS system at all, there's a Marvel Trading Card Game coming out on the DS soon. I played it a ton on the PSP and loved it.

Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
    SSBB: 2921-8745-1438
    Diamond: 2320-2615-4086
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Backlash wrote: »

If you're familiar with the VS system at all, there's a Marvel Trading Card Game coming out on the DS soon. I played it a ton on the PSP and loved it.

Hmmm. No idea what the VS system is - but if it's even slightly like MtG I'm all over it. I love marvel.

Cheers.

Lave II on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Backlash wrote: »

Someone else plays Vs!!! OMGWTF!!!

J/K...just surprised to see someone who plays it who doesn't go to one of the boards for it.

To Lave: Yes, it is a very awesome game and I would suggest you play it. Only problem I have with the game is that they only have Marvel's portion and they didn't add DCs stuff(probably because of copyright issues) heres to hoping they add DC stuff in the future though.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I played Vs. System Hardcore until the Avengers Set.

Shit, I still have all my old cards.

Transporter on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Bedlam wrote: »

:lol:

Peter Griffin: Brian, look! My Alpha Bits are speaking to me! It's saying "OOOOOO".
    Brian: Peter, those are Yu-gi-Os.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I've just looked VS up on wikipedia. My God. Unless the DS version gets as panned as the SNK/Capcom game I'm buying like a hundred copies.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Hmm I had briefly heard about that being released...Not sure on its status in the UK though.

Card battles are cool as fuck, but i've enjoyed relatively brief spells with them. MtG I had some collectors box and played a few games, Yu-Gi-Oh Wc 2004 was my longest stint.

I think i'll pick up Nightmare Troubador for now, it's cheap and online isn't really an option at the moment. I'm also unlikely to meet anyone else with a copy of something like this.

Left Wing jAy on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Yugi O's! They're Yugilicious!

rayofash on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    rayofash wrote: »

Yugi O's! They're Yugilicious!

Yugilicous? Is that even a word? Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abrigded Series rules!
    Sorry for not having anything to say about the threads original topic.
    I'm not really sorry

Peewi on
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Speaking of videogame themed cereal, there really should be a God of War themed cereal called 'Krat-O's'

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png