As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking out of the Great Gatsby in Texas Summer

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited May 2018 in Help / Advice Forum
My friend is having a birthday party this weekend, and she decided to not only do it themed around roaring 20's, but she also decided to do it outdoors.

In 95 degrees.

That kills a lot of my usual options for these sort of parties. Anyone have any idea what I could wear that would be in theme and I wouldn't die of heat exhaustion?

EDIT: I'm a male btw

Kyougu on

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I found some interesting things when I did a poke around for roaring 20's summer fashion.

Maybe something like this?

1c10678e308318f5e191c7f3e5ea35c4.jpg

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    The only thing that approaches the modern men's short from the 1920s is the swimsuit:

2u8iN17.jpg
    u5trYeJ.jpg
    x6lSQCu.jpg

When it came to actual sportswear, "plus fours" (with a button down shirt, a tie and maybe even a sweater vest!) are the closest you'll get to comfortable summer wear:

ovoEVcI.jpg
    BMIpghe.jpg

If you don't mind wearing what amounts to a one-piece romper, you probably should strongly consider the swimsuit option.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Since is the 20’s you could go as Jack Dempsey. Just need shorts and a pair of boxing gloves (and a white tank if you are bashful).

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    The big thing is to wear natural fibers. Modern clothes don't breathe like older clothes did because of synthetics.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Note that the 1920s is when the classic striped bathing suit gives way to bathingsuits of a uniform colour.
    This is from the early 1920s. It's taken in Mölle which made a name for itself as a nest of sin because it was one of the first places in Europe where men and women bathed together (in the 1890s), despite the fact that there were uniformed guards to prevent anyone from bathing naked or otherwise engaging in inproprieties. Even in the 1920s it was still one of the few places in Europe that had a common beach.
    hd-se.jpg?w=863

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    If you can find an old-fashioned wooden tennis racket a 1920s tennisplayer wouldn't be a bad idea either.
    135-2002005700588.jpg

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Thanks for the advice! I decided to go with a simple look.

And our whole group