As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A thread presumably about [Giant Bomb]

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I recall it being fairly early on so if you have time to listen for like 15-30 minutes, one should be able to drink in that audio moonshine.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Looks like the inevitable happened at Vice today and I'm sure this ties back to Austin tweeting about having some hard times the past couple of weeks.

For reference: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/vice-media-reorganize-lay-10-percent-staff-1181785

I'm not sure if Waypoint is part of the digital arm or not so it's unclear how much they've been directly impacted.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Looks like the inevitable happened at Vice today and I'm sure this ties back to Austin tweeting about having some hard times the past couple of weeks.

For reference: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/vice-media-reorganize-lay-10-percent-staff-1181785

I'm not sure if Waypoint is part of the digital arm or not so it's unclear how much they've been directly impacted.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Well they just moved offices so I assume Waypoint will stick around in some capacity, even if the brand dies and gets folded into Vice itself.

It's certainly not good news, though.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Well shit.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Austin would RT this type of stuff regardless of his own job security, but he's been RTing stuff about unionizing, which Vice has and likely will protect people from being thrown out onto the street without some sort of severance.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Well they just moved offices so I assume Waypoint will stick around in some capacity, even if the brand dies and gets folded into Vice itself.

It's certainly not good news, though.

Considering how many managers and top-level execs are absolute shitbags who will wait until the last possible second to drop the hammer (think back to Telltale hiring people like the week before all their layoffs, one of whom moved cross-country), that gives me the smallest amount of confidence.

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Wait waypoint is disappearing?

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Wait waypoint is disappearing?

We don't know yet. Vice is doing layoffs and there are aryickes talking about it either shutting down or being focused into Vice itself, but no confirmation from Austin or anyone else.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    man that's a shame but I'm super not surprised. Waypoint doesnt do a ton to stick out compared to any other site. I really like Austin and basically everything Austin posts, and there are some other good articles buried in there, but there's just not enough.

It's suuuuuper important to talk about marginalized gamers and social responsibility but if that's basically ALL you post it's going to end up being noise and people will just stop going.

damn shame

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Danielle just posted this (which Austin retweeted)

I suspect it'll be a bit till any actual info comes out

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    man that's a shame but I'm super not surprised. Waypoint doesnt do a ton to stick out compared to any other site. I really like Austin and basically everything Austin posts, and there are some other good articles buried in there, but there's just not enough.

It's suuuuuper important to talk about marginalized gamers and social responsibility but if that's basically ALL you post it's going to end up being noise and people will just stop going.

but... that is what they do to stick out compared to other sites.

• Options
    admanb wrote: »

alas that doesn't stick out. they need to more than just that for the wider audience

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Also this so who knows anymore

as always these days, letting stuff shake out and then see is usually the sane course

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    being past around?

PAST around?!

Austin pls

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options

alas that doesn't stick out. they need to more than just that for the wider audience

Right. So the problem isn't that they're not doing anything to stick out, it's that what they're doing to stick out doesn't get them a wide audience.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    being past around?

PAST around?!

Austin pls

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options

Right. So the problem isn't that they're not doing anything to stick out, it's that what they're doing to stick out doesn't get them a wide audience.

right, which is known, so they aren't doing anything to stick out

:p

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Austin's Twitter probably generates more traffic then waypoint, but I'm glad there's a chance they'll get to continue doing there thing

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Also, keep in mind that a lot of media positions have been shut down lately not becuase they don't make money, but because they don't make ENOUGH money and shareholders decide they want resources allocated to things that might be more lucrative, so Waypoint could easily still viable (in that it produces enough money to keep a core staff employed with benefits) as an entity even if they did wind up getting folded.

• Options

right, which is known, so they aren't doing anything to stick out

:p

They don't care about having a wide audience. I didn't think I needed to say that.

• Options
    they might not but vice may long term :\

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    That's the joys of ~capitalism~, but I am positive that when Austin agreed to take the job it wasn't because Vice was under the impression that he was planning to create the next... IGN*. Their audience was planned to be small and their staffing reflects that, but whether that plan survives the transition through motherfucking management changes is anyone's guess.

*that's apparently the biggest videogame website by Alexa rank. Bleak.

• Options
    You can't say Waypoint fails because it doesn't do enough to stand out, then name the thing they do that nobody else does (it's changing slightly but it's not a site ethos anywhere else but Waypoint) as a reason they are failing.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    they might not but vice may long term :\

Sure, but in that case Austin and Co would have a much greater likelyhood of landing somewhere else. (Whether another organization or through something like Patreon)

• Options
    edited February 2019
    If Waypoint ends up going under I feel like Austin would do awesome going the research route. Get a appointment at a University and write interesting shit. Man that'd be cool.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    That might be the only field that's a downgrade from journalism.

• Options
    That might be the only field that's a downgrade from journalism.

Too real

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    depends if you can get a niche or not (and tenure)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    I mean, wasn't he already doing that as a grad student? I doubt he'd want to go back to that.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Every media field got crushed recently by Facebook lying their ass off about video.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Well, on this Die Another Friday, Dan reveals he doesn't know how to roll up long sleeve shirts. Perhaps he's just speaking about dress shirts, but it's not clear and still.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I felt like Dan’s triangle question was kind of interesting and everyone else ragged on him about it for no real reason. Triangles are an essential part of architecture. Like obviously no such thing could ever happen but I’d be interested to hear how it would impact things, I’m guessing a lot I wouldn’t expect.

I’m... defending Dan. For a question he asked, that was... thought-provoking?

I feel weird.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    I felt like Dan’s triangle question was kind of interesting and everyone else ragged on him about it for no real reason. Triangles are an essential part of architecture. Like obviously no such thing could ever happen but I’d be interested to hear how it would impact things, I’m guessing a lot I wouldn’t expect.

I feel weird.

who cares about triangles

they're not even round

and they don't taste like anything

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Pizza triangles taste like pizza. Pizza’s pretty good.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options

I feel weird.

"Are triangles such an important structure for architecture that modern buildings would basically collapse without them?" is a great question. The problem came from how Dan's brain and mouth decided to parse that question, which necessitated a lot of followup questions and came with a lot of baggage (like disappearing fingers).

I think the bigger question with Dan's TMP scenario, is would parts of computer screens rendering polygons disappear, or would just the rendered polygon disappear? If the latter, would it then reappear if you reloaded the program (or perhaps on the next frame refresh) or is the positional date that creates the triangle also destroyed?

• Options
    It's not a great question.

Is the basic unit shape of a triangle common enough that it likely exists somewhere in a building support is not a thought provoking question.

By the time he finally gets the question out, the weight of his tones expected answer, and the obvious inherent answer, is so out of proportion that you just laugh and move on, while the laugh track roles as Dan exists the screen

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    It was all worth it for the bit about ddp and jay z

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    “My hands!”