As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to make wood pretty.

Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better.Registered User regular
So I have a hollow core door that I want to turn into a desk. Problem is, it's a bit rough. I would like to smooth it out and like make it prettier, but I have no wood skills what so ever.

How do I make this door pretty and functional as a desk?

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Is it just veneer panels over a simple interior wood frame, or something more substantial?

I don’t know how well veneer responds to sanding, but you could probably make it a little prettier if you’re careful. You’d need a fine grit, and it’s probably safest to do it by hand. Then you could put some kind of a stain on it, which will bring out the grain and provide a bit of protection (mostly from things like sunlight and liquid spills) to boot.

Bear in mind that hollow core doors are not really built to hold a lot of weight, because they generally hang from door frames. So if you do use it as a table, whatever you put on it needs to be light or it’ll punch through the veneer.

knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    If there’s enough material to work with, like you wouldn’t make it to thin, the idea is to sand it down with progressively finer sand paper and then stain it whatever pretty stain you prefer. I’m a sucker for mahogany personally.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    A picture would help us see what you've got to work with

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    This is what I'm working with

https://imgur.com/a/pFDiKo6

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that’s not going to hold a lot of weight as a desk. Another thing to consider is what to do about the knob, or the hole that will remain when/if you remove the knob.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Yeah, that’s not going to hold a lot of weight as a desk. Another thing to consider is what to do about the knob, or the hole that will remain when/if you remove the knob.

Run cables through it I guess? CH could probably get some plexi or something that is designed to take a bit more weight and lay it over top of the door?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

Bondo the hole and stain it, or re-purpose the hole.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018

It wouldn't cost much to get some actual lumber in those dimensions and make it properly. You could probably what you would need, untreated, in those dimensions for under $50.

Your miles may vary, but if I was going to take the time to make a desk from scratch I'd rather do it properly so it lasts forever. Especially if you are already planning on buying the tools needed to make it happen.

Enc on
  • Options
    Enc wrote: »

It wouldn't cost much to get some actual lumber in those dimensions and make it properly. You could probably what you would need, untreated, in those dimensions for under $50.

Your miles may vary, but if I was going to take the time to make a desk from scratch I'd rather do it properly so it lasts forever. Especially if you are already planning on buying the tools needed to make it happen.
    I like the look of reclaimed door tables.

dfh1_doortable.jpg

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Well, how do you make a desk with wood?

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Well, how do you make a desk with wood?

here's an old man with pretty good instructions. The only thing left after that is to stain it. If that is too complex, he has some simpler designs.

I like this one better for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqC-w73zpXU

I mean what are you looking for in a desk?

zepherin on
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Something like my hobby table but not as long and not a billion lbs.

DL5tpK4.jpg

See, that guy has like a billion dollars worth of tools already. I have a circular saw, a full set of mechanics tools, and my bare hands. Not much tools that involve wood.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    So I have a hollow core door that I want to turn into a desk. Problem is, it's a bit rough. I would like to smooth it out and like make it prettier, but I have no wood skills what so ever.

How do I make this door pretty and functional as a desk?

to smooth that cheap veneer will take more time and money than buying an actual desk or a decent door

I would suggest looking at home reclaim shops in your area if you have them and start with a better door

Sanding that door will destroy the veneer (if using a powered sander) or take 10,000 hours (hand sanding). Wood filler, epoxy, or similar would flatten the surface but would look really really bad.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    You just need a cordless drill and maybe a couple of bits, which will run you like $75 and is worth having around anyways. You have the circ saw, but home depot will cut boards for you if you ask.

• Options
    I'd question if you can really do that desk for $15, it would depend on if you have to shop from a hardware store or if you have a lumber factor in your town. I'd tag that one at closer to $50 at retail rates at a Home Depot.

With low tools/skill level, I'd probably get your legs from someplace like Ikea (get two trestle kits for 20-40 bucks each), higher end ones will have shelving built in and you'll only need the tools that come with it and (probably) a screwdriver or two. You can get unfinished saw horses at a hardware store like you have there for about 30 for a pair, or make your own for probably the same price.

Then buy some unfinished wood planks. A 2"x10"x16' plank is about 20 bucks or so. Depending on how long you want it, you could get about 8-12 per plank, and would probably need 3 planks. Most hardware stores will cut to your dimensions for you, Get a couple of smaller planks for framework, all told probably $40-60 bucks depending on your size.

Buy some varnish, ~5 bucks for a can plus 2 bucks for a brush.

Or just go buy a prefab simple wooden table and skip the hassle from Amazon or someplace for ~$90.

• Options
    I don't like store desks because they're never big enough and have a bunch of crap I don't need. Unless y'all can suggest a good one.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I'm a fan of the Ikea desk systems because the tops are thick and solid, and its just a tabletop and your chosen leg type. Want it a wall instillation? Sure, gab that plank and the wall hardware. Want something on wheels? Grab the plank and the wheel legs. Etc.
    Tops: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/11844/
    Leg Options: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/11845/

And yer done. Pretty durable in my experience. Similar systems are on various Amazon retailers as well. It's nothing fancy, but they look good, are simple and to the point, and wear well with time.

Enc on
  • Options
    Okay, Ikea seems to be the perfect solution.

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    I'm a fan of the Ikea desk systems because the tops are thick and solid, and its just a tabletop and your chosen leg type. Want it a wall instillation? Sure, gab that plank and the wall hardware. Want something on wheels? Grab the plank and the wheel legs. Etc.
    Tops: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/11844/
    Leg Options: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/11845/

And yer done. Pretty durable in my experience. Similar systems are on various Amazon retailers as well. It's nothing fancy, but they look good, are simple and to the point, and wear well with time.
    I forgot about the Ikea desk systems. I made a lego desk out of one of those systems.