As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump is abusing the Presidential pardon power

So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
edited May 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
Let's talk about it here.
Veagle wrote: »
Trump just announced that he is going to pardon Dinesh D’Souza, who was previously convicted of making illegal campaign contributions in 2014.

Now, if I were a cynical person, I might imagine that this is a way of signaling that he plans to pardon others who have made illegal campaign contributions, as long as they don't flip and give up more treason related evidence on Trump himself.

But I'm sure there is a perfectly legitimate reason for doing this.
Couscous wrote: »
Fencingsax wrote: »
Solar wrote: »
The President being able to just pardon people who have been convicted of federal crimes seems like an extremely stupid power for someone to have.

It's supposed to be a check on the judiciary, and an acknowledgement that the judiciary is not infallible.

The main reason given in the federalist papers was that sentences under the law could be harsh and pardons allowed "exceptions in the case of unfortunate guilt."

I can't see this as not sending a clear message:

DarkPrimus wrote: »

So It Goes on

• Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    Yeah this seems awful shitty. Every pardon so far seems to be a signal that, "Hey, if you break the law to help the Republican party, we'll pardon and forgive you."

I sincerely don't even know what can be done about this.

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Law and order president guys.

The founding fathers clearly outlined abuse of the pardon for personal or political reasons as a sufficient reason for impeachment.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    There's really no way to stop this, is there?

• Options
    MeeqeMeeqe Lord of the pants most fancy Someplace amazingRegistered User regular
    Impeachment is the proscribed legal method of punishment for this.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    But then you'd have to have a political party in power that actually gives a damn about things like the constitution, checks and balances, and the people they represent.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Why pardon Martha Stewart? Isn’t she already out?

Commuting Blagojevich would also signal that being a corrupt politician is okay.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »

Commuting Blagojevich would also signal that being a corrupt politician is okay.

Because her crime was lying to the feds.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    It's a miracle that we got as far along as we did as a country before it became irreparably clear that none of our institutions are built on foundations solid enough to stand against flagrant abuse of power.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    LostNinja wrote: »

Smokescreen? Can’t be accused of playing politics if someone isn’t a politician, “that’s fake news” style situation?

Edit: llpala is probably right.

Fawst on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Dronus86 wrote: »
    Yeah this seems awful shitty. Every pardon so far seems to be a signal that, "Hey, if you break the law to help the Republican party, we'll pardon and forgive you."

This isn't even "hey if you help republicans..."

This is literally, "if you do rich white people crime, Trump will let you off the hook. "

Blagojevich was a Democrat

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Oh, I thought you guys were joking about the Martha Stewart stuff

oh

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

This is literally, "if you do rich white people crime, Trump will let you off the hook. "

but it's a signal to his team that they can just do what he did

• Options
    If any of the Enron guys were still alive I'd expect them to be getting a commutation.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/trump-pardon-conservative-author-dinesh-d-souza-n878851
    Trump told reporters Thursday that Blagojevich had said something "stupid" and called his lengthy sentence "really unfair." The president added that "plenty of other politicians could have said a lot worse" than Blagojevich and suggested he was more interested in "curtailing his sentence" than granting a full pardon to the former governor.
    What. Blagovich was about as clear a case of corruption as you can find.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Trump is not necessarily doing this strategically. Remember, he’s extremely suggestible and these could easily be the result of anybody getting his ear that he likes or wants to impress.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The Blago pardon has a simpler, stupider explaination:

Daniel Dale is a political reporter for the Toronto Star.

Yup, it's him helping someone he personally knows.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular

Oh FUCK OFF!

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/trump-pardon-conservative-author-dinesh-d-souza-n878851
    Trump told reporters Thursday that Blagojevich had said something "stupid" and called his lengthy sentence "really unfair." The president added that "plenty of other politicians could have said a lot worse" than Blagojevich and suggested he was more interested in "curtailing his sentence" than granting a full pardon to the former governor.

It does double duty to attempt to normalize their graft. The Nixon crew tried to do the same thing, normalizing their dirty tricks during Watergate.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    same with martha stewart, i'd assume

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

It's charades.

Can't say it out loud so you ape the act.

Trump supporter like Arpaio? Pardoned

Broke election law like Souza? Pardoned

Lied to the FBI like Stewart? Pardoned

Corrupt politician like Blagojevich? Pardoned

Its like setting out eligibility for the shitbird scholarship.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Trump is not necessarily doing this strategically. Remember, he’s extremely suggestible and these could easily be the result of anybody getting his ear that he likes or wants to impress.

It would be really depressing if this was the reason.

• Options
    wait, is he literally just letting all his friends off the hook?

That is just amazingly brazen corruption.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It's a miracle that we got as far along as we did as a country before it became irreparably clear that none of our institutions are built on foundations solid enough to stand against flagrant abuse of power.

It's not flagrant abuse of power, it's just partisanship.

The pardon power is a holdover from monarchical powers under common law imported in by the founders. It's only check is congress. Except why would Congress check the power of someone within their own party?

Like so many US institutions it is incapable of surviving any contact with organized coherent political organizations.

• Options
    Ilpala wrote: »

Oh FUCK OFF!

Here's what he said in 2011:
    Rod Blagojevich's former TV boss, Donald Trump, says he "feels bad" for the disgraced Illinois Governor, who was convicted Monday on 17 corruption charges.

Trump tells Forbes, “Well, he was convicted. That’s a rough thing for him and his family; I feel badly for him and his family. It’s a tragedy."

Blagojevich made it through four episodes of Celebrity Apprectice before Trump fired him.

Trump adds, “I got to know [Blagojevich] based on the fact that he was in The Apprentice and I always felt bad for him. It just seemed like he was in over his head, you know what I mean?”

I don't know what offends me more - the corruption, or how stupid it all is.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    It's about precedence, both legal and in public opinion. Like when you get convicted of something and the judge gives you an excessive sentence, you can go back and say "These 20 people were convicted of the same offense but received a lesser sentence."

Except Trump has the authority to retroactively change people's sentences for crimes he is being investigated for, which may affect the precedent applied to himself and his associates. It's about creating an environment where a pardon for corruption is no big deal, and then when Cohen or Flynn gets pardoned the attitude is "eh, if Marth Stewart got pardoned for it why not this guy".

• Options

Yeah, this all strikes me not entirely about sending signals and more so about Trump being a petty moron with no respect for the powers he has or restraint when wielding any power he has ever had.

There is no process here. No review. He's simply deciding in a fit of pique that he doesn't like what happened to X person so he's going to let them get away with it.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    It still sends the message that he’s going to abuse it cause fuck you

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Because Trump looks at these people and sees "Oh, this person is my friend!" or "This person does things that piss off people I don't like!" instead of "This person flagrantly violated federal laws and was in prison for a damned good reason".

He's got no better reason than that to do this.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Why do it now?

Also does he not know what Blagojevich did?

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    The Pardon is bad.

If someone is unjustly imprisoned, then the law is wrong and must be changed and them freed through that. If they are not, then they should not simply be able to walk free.

This power in the hands of an active, political figure is really quite abuseable, as seen in the cases above.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Because Trump looks at these people and sees "Oh, this person is my friend!" or "This person does things that piss off people I don't like!" instead of "This person flagrantly violated federal laws and was in prison for a damned good reason".

Basically "for my friends anything, for my enemies the law."

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    It is at moments like these that I really feel the gravity of being powerless in the face of unchecked authority. What does it matter to me if blagojevich is pardoned, or Martha Stewart gets her record wiped? Well, sure, nothing directly. But it does make it clear that there are rules for me but not for thee, and I don’t know how we can fix this when all the beneficiaries of lopsided power are the ones who have to check themselves against abuse of it. It’s frustrating af.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Martha Stewart was prosecuted by James Comey.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »

Basically "for my friends anything, for my enemies the law."

Not even the law, as his friends can do anything they want to his enemies and it'd be ok by him.

• Options
    Why do it now?

He knows, but thinks that it's business as usual:

President Trump on Rod Blagojich per pool: “18 yrs in jail for being stupid & saying things that every other politician, you know that many other politicians say...What he did does not justify 18 yrs in a jail. And he’s a Democrat. ... But I thought that he was treated unfairly.”

Yamiche Alcindor is a reporter for PBS.

That's the explanation - in his mind, blatant corruption is how our government works.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    It is at moments like these that I really feel the gravity of being powerless in the face of unchecked authority. What does it matter to me if blagojevich is pardoned, or Martha Stewart gets her record wiped? Well, sure, nothing directly. But it does make it clear that there are rules for me but not for thee, and I don’t know how we can fix this when all the beneficiaries of lopsided power are the ones who have to check themselves against abuse of it. It’s frustrating af.

Trump is basically showcasing why the pardon power being so broad and so unchecked is insane.

Like so many things, it's always been broken, he's just crass enough to bring that into the spotlight.

shryke on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I think I’m taking crazy pills, because I legit think it’s more likely Trump to pardon people that were on his old show, than playing some political game of sending signals to his cronies that he has their backs.

We truly live in interesting times.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Solar wrote: »
    The Pardon is bad.

If someone is unjustly imprisoned, then the law is wrong and must be changed and them freed through that. If they are not, then they should not simply be able to walk free.

This power in the hands of an active, political figure is really quite abuseable, as seen in the cases above.

"This power can be abused" is a poor argument for removing the power of pardon. The answer is to hold abuse accountable.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    There's really no way to stop this, is there?
    File charges at the state or county level. Try them again under the separate sovereigns doctrine.

• Options
    Why do it now?

He knows, but thinks that it's business as usual:

President Trump on Rod Blagojich per pool: “18 yrs in jail for being stupid & saying things that every other politician, you know that many other politicians say...What he did does not justify 18 yrs in a jail. And he’s a Democrat. ... But I thought that he was treated unfairly.”

Yamiche Alcindor is a reporter for PBS.

That's the explanation - in his mind, blatant corruption is how our government works.

He's a true believing Fox News viewer. Of course he views the government that way.

Hell, it's not even partisan. That's standard anti-current-government populism for ya. It's the same kind of thing backing Congress' low approval ratings.