Options

Work

emma12345emma12345 Registered User new member
I work in a retail company. I was working there for nearly 2 Years. Most of the time I was sat on till. Sometimes it was like a 10h shift with only 30 min break. A few times I give a costumer the wrong change and i noticed that after they left but because we only allow to have like £2 chash difference I sometimes did a refound for no more than £5 as I wouldn’t be allowed to do it for more than that on my own as I would need my managers atherisition. Today at the start of my shift my manager asked me to have a word with him I went in to the office and he told me that we need to have a chat about money Londonderry and theath. He asked me to explain to him the refound precludes and I told him. Then he was asking me questions about a refounds I have done. Which I just said that I don’t remember as I serv a lot of costumes. Then he showed me a cctv camera footage was was me doing a refound without a costume there taking some money from the till and put in on the side. ( I have done that to make my till right and I left the money one the side). He said that he is sespending me and I will get a letter about a disciplinary meeting. I am really embarrass about it and I really worried about going to the deseplinary meeting. I know they going to fire me I just really worried about was people that I worked with are going to think of me i really didn’t take any money. Do you recon they could take me to court for that ? Will I every be able to get another job as obviously they won’t give me good references.I know what I did was wrong and I should of just left it as it was but I didn’t everyone makes mistakes.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Sorry I just read that through and I noticed some grammar and spelling mistakes

emma12345 on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    They could, sure.

They'll probably just fire you if it's anything like the US.

Obviously if you're brought up on charges talk to a lawyer, etc.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    What do you think would happen if I don’t go to the meeting?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You'll be fired for sure. This may just be a, "hey stop doing all this stuff."

It could also be an attempt to get you to admit you stole money and try to get you to agree to let them dock your pay (which I'm not sure on the legality of since IANAL).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    *i am not a lawyer*
    If you don't go they will almost assuredly assume that means you did steal money and fire you.

It is highly unlikely that they will bother taking you to court over this unless we're talking a huge amount of money. A few pounds for a refunded item isn't worth that time.

They have you on video taking money from the till in way that probably isn't consistent with procedure, but if you're putting it on the counter and not pocketing it they don't really have a strong claim for you stealing it, just insufficient training.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I worked retail in the US while in school before settling into my career. From experience (US not UK) I’d say you may get fired, but charges are extremely unlikely depending on the total amount.

The meeting may just be to allow you to explain your reasoning, and for them to tell you why you shouldn’t do that.

A register being off a little bit due to mistakes in giving change is common, most stores in the US don’t think much of it until it’s off by a certain amount. Anyone who has ever worked a register has messed up giving change at some point.

Fraudulent returns on the other hand is something that would ping loss prevention’s radar because it is how people often cover up stealing, even if that isn’t what you were doing.

• Options
    I know what I have done is wrong and I really regret it. I’m just realllly scared to go to the meeting.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    If you don't go, more than likely they'll take it as an admission of guilt and fire you anyways. Go in with the expectation of possibly being fired, and if you keep your job, do everything exactly by the book and ask what to do in case that situation ever shows up again, and then do exactly that.

As far as what the others think of you, well... if you did something wrong, it's par for the course, I'd think. Yes, it's blunt, and yes, I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's how things work. Businesses don't want people who can't manage money around a cash drawer- maybe you could shift to another position, if you don't get fired, if you're not good with money?

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    What did you do with the money after you put it to the side? Since your boss didn't have a record of you turning it in, it's possible you kept it, which is theft even if it was small and to even your till.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    emma12345 wrote: »
    I know what I have done is wrong and I really regret it. I’m just realllly scared to go to the meeting.

Do not be scared about the meeting - if they were set on firing you they would have done so. Just be open and honest about what you've done and why.
    Now you may still get fired, but I do think that is rather unlikely. However if you do not go then there is no way you won't be fired.

Are you in a union. If so give them a call and get advice. Here if someone is called into have a meeting like yours one is entitled to bring a supporter of ones own choice, that will usually be union representative but it really is ones choice.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    The basic issue here is that they know you've been manipulating the till total, but have no way of knowing by how much.

So, you may know that you have changed the count to hide small mistakes, and that's all you did, but from their perspective you could have been consistently stealing money from the till and then disguising it - they don't have any way to tell if you have hidden small differences or large ones.

If they were definitely going to fire you they likely would have already. Whether they'll fire you likely depends on whether they believe that you've been stealing or not, based on the meeting. You likely don't have anything to lose by going, but if there is a union it would be a good idea to contact them for advice. Depending on where you work you may also be entitled to have a union representative with you at the meeting.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I’m going to be honest. Admit to nothing review all paperwork and if there is a loss officer or the police there refuse to talk without legal council.

They may be trying to firm up their firing for misconduct to avoid paying you unemployment (this is something they commonly do in the US not sure about UK), or to gather evidence to have you arrested. Retail bosses can be shit heals in every nation.

If you are Union, request your union rep for this meeting if not, listen to what they have to say and deny any allegation of illegality. Don’t admit to anything.