Options

This thread is for talking about things on [Television]

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Anyone watching Cloak and Dagger?

Its starting real slow but its ok so far.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I watched the first episode, definitely seems promising.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    So I’ve been watching a lot of Friends lately, which I had never really seen

I’m pleasantly surprised to find it’s a really solid sitcom, I was not expecting as much cleverness as there is here, and sure it can get a little corny at times when they go for actual emotion, but for the most part I really enjoy it

Every time the 90s emerges in full force in the show is a little jarring, though

They spent a lot of money on REM songs

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    friends rules

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Holy shit. I thought for sure it was toast, but it turns out that Neil Gaiman doesn't just PLAY God on the show.

Wait, is this the actual Vertigo version of Lucifer? Last I heard it was a pretty bad show about the devil solving mysteries in LA. Am I thinking of something else?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    No it's a pretty good show about the devil solving mysteries in LA.

• Options
    it's a very good show about the devil solving crimes in l.a., actually

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

Holy shit. I thought for sure it was toast, but it turns out that Neil Gaiman doesn't just PLAY God on the show.

Wait, is this the actual Vertigo version of Lucifer? Last I heard it was a pretty bad show about the devil solving mysteries in LA. Am I thinking of something else?

It is loosely based on the comic. Mostly just some characters in common. It is a very formulaic supernatural procedural in the vein of iZombie. While some episodes aren't fantastic, it is actually a very well thought out show with its heart in the right place.

Plus, the title character is unapologetically bi, and it's no big thing for anyone. Points for representation?

• Options
    aistan

my nemesis

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't know if you get points for representation when your character is literally satan.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I still haven't watched Lucifer, even though I am pretty sure I would enjoy it, due at least partially to how terrible the lead dude looks for the role

Also a deep love for the comics on which it's allegedly based, but mostly because they made the fucking lightbringer a brunet

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Unsurprisingly, I think his statement sucks ass

Outright denial of any wrong doing, trying to focus on her infidelity and taking a "high ground" when she tried to get back with him and the tired as shit AS A BROTHER AND HUSBAND I LOVE WOMEN bullshit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I don't know if you get points for representation when your character is literally satan.
    I'm pretty sure the whole show is built around him not being outright evil and having a redemptive arc, though?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Yeah but I mean

He's Satan. Of course he's bisexual. If Fred Phelps wrote a show about Satan, he'd make Satan bisexual. Making a symbol of depravity and sin bisexual isn't super PC, it's a standard trope.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think Lucifer is going for a negative portrayal of bisexuality in their choice to make Lucifer bisexual

But I don't fully want to give them credit for it either

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Constantine on Legends of Tomorrow is bi and it's

A: refreshing

And

B: he absolutely rules on that show and it's relatively nice to have that kind of representation on the show. Not that I could ever be a Constantine type, but having such a kick ass bi character is nice. The show is already pretty queer friendly with the leader of the team being bi, too.

And he's gonna be a regular in S4, and I can't wait.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I miss the Constantine show. Just, perfect casting

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

Same actor for the DC shows, oddly enough.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    Matt Ryan does a pretty good Constantine, but I feel like he's not miserable enough sometimes

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Eleanor on The Good Place is another nice bi character.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    is eleanor bi or is she just into tahani, like every human being should be

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    because i am very upset there was no good eleanor/bad elanor hookup

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

I’m pleasantly surprised to find it’s a really solid sitcom, I was not expecting as much cleverness as there is here, and sure it can get a little corny at times when they go for actual emotion, but for the most part I really enjoy it

Every time the 90s emerges in full force in the show is a little jarring, though

Friends holds up pretty well except for Ross. Ross is the "nice guy" trope times one million.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Friends holds up pretty well except for Ross. Ross is the "nice guy" trope times one million.

Ehh...

Ross is a thousand times better than Ted Mosby.

• Options
    Two things can be bad

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Ross in the first two seasons is insufferable.

Once he turns into an insane person he becomes the best character on the show.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

It is loosely based on the comic. Mostly just some characters in common. It is a very formulaic supernatural procedural in the vein of iZombie. While some episodes aren't fantastic, it is actually a very well thought out show with its heart in the right place.

Plus, the title character is unapologetically bi, and it's no big thing for anyone. Points for representation?

The episode with Dr. Linda's ex husband was really fucking good.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    because i am very upset there was no good eleanor/bad elanor hookup

Vicki was such a good character

they definitely should have hooked up

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular

Same actor for the DC shows, oddly enough.

Yeah I was glad to see him join legends.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Yeah but I mean

He's Satan. Of course he's bisexual. If Fred Phelps wrote a show about Satan, he'd make Satan bisexual. Making a symbol of depravity and sin bisexual isn't super PC, it's a standard trope.

That would be true if the point of the show was that Lucifer isn't actually the symbol of depravity everyone thinks he is.

• Options
    I guess after the six episodes I watched he does something more than spout double entendres and use his magic roofie powers to fuck people.

• Options
    Yeah but I mean

That would be true if the point of the show was that Lucifer isn't actually the symbol of depravity everyone thinks he is.
    He's definitely hedonistic and self-centered, but other than that, he's as good or better than any other angel.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    MY SANDWICH

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    MY MAAAANWIIIIIIIICH!

• Options
    I guess after the six episodes I watched he does something more than spout double entendres and use his magic roofie powers to fuck people.

Narrative arcs! How do they work?

Also Lucifer doesn't have magical roofie powers. Free will is a big deal to him. His main magic power is that people will always tell him what they most desire, if he asks.

The double entendres never stop, though, it is true.

• Options
    i just finished the legion season 2 finale

i will not be watching legion season 3

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I on the other hand can't wait for season 3 of Legion

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options

The magic roofie stuff happens a lot less, or is at least, moved way into the background, and Linda remembers about professional ethics and cuts off that too.

Narrative arcs! How do they work?

Also Lucifer doesn't have magical roofie powers. Free will is a big deal to him. His main magic power is that people will always tell him what they most desire, if he asks.

The double entendres never stop, though, it is true.

The yoga studio murder reenactment was a hilarious extended double entendre, and it was apparently Lauren German's idea to do it that way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah Lucifer's big thing is that he never lies. Dude always tells the truth when asked, and it actually becomes a focal point of one of the episodes where he doesn't want to lie but can't tell Decker the truth about something, so he tries really badly to just distract her instead.

He gets personally offended whenever someone says the devil is evil. He may have been kicked out of heaven, but he was only ever punishing the wicked in hell, not tempting anyone to do anything they didn't already want to do.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.