As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sleeve [chat]

descdesc Goretexing to deathRegistered User regular
edited June 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
3nnjkKfl.jpg
nBL3QSyl.jpg
MUSoGeJl.jpg
FnJbSJZl.jpg

desc on

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    this post blessed by Organichu who is at work btw fyi hth

• Options
    edited June 2018
    edit: wait that might make the post too big

desc on
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I want you all to see what desc just saved you from:
    Orbital Launch Detected

You have no one to blame but yourselves!

Coming to [chat] live for the very first time since I created a thread dedicated to this very purpose, it's a SPACEPOST!

Coming up at 04:29 UTC (that's 12:29am Eastern, 9:29pm Pacific) we have a SpaceX Falcon 9 launch! Launching out of Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, the four hour launch window gives the Falcon 9 plenty of opportunity to lift its payload SES-12 into the heavens! It's a previously-flown Block 4 booster, so there won't be a landing attempt, but this big ol' bird is headed to a Geostationary Transfer Orbit, so the full capabilities of this mighty rocket will still be on full display!

Organichu or desc could have saved you from this fate, but they didn't! This was always going to be the end result, [chat]! Kneel before your spacelord!

Here's the rocket vertical on the pad earlier today:

Here's the link to The Press Kit

And here's the livestream, scheduled to go live ~20 minutes prior to liftoff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hcM5hqQ45s

Fly safe, [chat]!

Wooooo, rockets!

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    pu8ys0mzktig.png

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    While a moving Earth was proposed at least from the 4th century BC in Pythagoreanism, and a fully developed heliocentric model was developed by Aristarchus of Samos in the 3rd century BC, these ideas were not successful in replacing the view of a static spherical Earth, and from the 2nd century AD the predominant model, which would be inherited by medieval astronomy, was the geocentric model described in Ptolemy's Almagest.

The Ptolemaic system was a sophisticated astronomical system that managed to calculate the positions for the planets to a fair degree of accuracy. Ptolemy himself, in his Almagest, points out that any model for describing the motions of the planets is merely a mathematical device, and since there is no actual way to know which is true, the simplest model that gets the right numbers should be used. However, he rejected the idea of a spinning earth as absurd as he believed it would create huge winds. His planetary hypotheses were sufficiently real that the distances of moon, sun, planets and stars could be determined by treating orbits' celestial spheres as contiguous realities. This made the stars' distance less than 20 Astronomical Units, a regression, since Aristarchus of Samos's heliocentric scheme had centuries earlier necessarily placed the stars at least two orders of magnitude more distant.

Problems with Ptolemy's system were well recognized in medieval astronomy, and an increasing effort to criticize and improve it in the late medieval period eventually led to the Copernican heliocentrism developed in Renaissance astronomy.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Yes these geometric sleeves are good
    Some day some day

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    #3 and #4 are my faves

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yeah that stuff was clearly demarcated, but not really when they realized that the sun also still moves.

Though I’ve found another article which suggests thoughts about it in the 18th c, but acceptance in the 1920s. That sounds hella late, not sure if true

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I thought about editing out the part about Organichu and / or desc not coming to your rescue because, obviously, desc did

But the part about kneeling to your spacelord is still valid so I figured why mess with a good thing

• Options
    Also noticed that, at least translated to English, the crime Galileo plead guilty to was “suspicion of heresy”. Might have been an emphasizing word prior to heresy there, but the key part was suspicion.

What kind of sloppy legalese system can you be guilty of being suspected of something. It defies all logic.

• Options
    Honk wrote: »
    Yeah that stuff was clearly demarcated, but not really when they realized that the sun also still moves.

Though I’ve found another article which suggests thoughts about it in the 18th c, but acceptance in the 1920s. That sounds hella late, not sure if true

Well this kind of thing is not really something that usually comes as a eureka moment

more like, hm, this new model does seem like it could work but X, Y and Z because they're not born fully formed

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Jeez. I wasn't expecting my entire extended family to be here!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Well this kind of thing is not really something that usually comes as a eureka moment

more like, hm, this new model does seem like it could work but X, Y and Z because they're not born fully formed

That may be the case at least from a scientific point of view. But since it seemed like such a big deal philosophically and theologically when heliocentrism became accepted I figured there’d have been a similar thing when someone came to the conclusion that the sun wasn’t the center either.

Maybe they had been so thoroughly disappointed once already that learning we’re even less special wasn’t a big deal.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    thrusting swords are kind of garbo in ds1

wtb good dex weapon

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Does watching The Battle of Algiers put you on some sorta list these days.

Asking for a friend.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    While a moving Earth was proposed at least from the 4th century BC in Pythagoreanism, and a fully developed heliocentric model was developed by Aristarchus of Samos in the 3rd century BC, these ideas were not successful in replacing the view of a static spherical Earth, and from the 2nd century AD the predominant model, which would be inherited by medieval astronomy, was the geocentric model described in Ptolemy's Almagest.

The Ptolemaic system was a sophisticated astronomical system that managed to calculate the positions for the planets to a fair degree of accuracy. Ptolemy himself, in his Almagest, points out that any model for describing the motions of the planets is merely a mathematical device, and since there is no actual way to know which is true, the simplest model that gets the right numbers should be used. However, he rejected the idea of a spinning earth as absurd as he believed it would create huge winds. His planetary hypotheses were sufficiently real that the distances of moon, sun, planets and stars could be determined by treating orbits' celestial spheres as contiguous realities. This made the stars' distance less than 20 Astronomical Units, a regression, since Aristarchus of Samos's heliocentric scheme had centuries earlier necessarily placed the stars at least two orders of magnitude more distant.

Problems with Ptolemy's system were well recognized in medieval astronomy, and an increasing effort to criticize and improve it in the late medieval period eventually led to the Copernican heliocentrism developed in Renaissance astronomy.

I love this stuff because it's like, yo, people a thousand years ago weren't stupider then we are today. They were pouring over this shit trying to figure it out just like us.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

wtb good dex weapon

Great Scythe. An easy-ish crazy loot run early in the game will get it for you. Thing is a beast.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »

Asking for a friend.

In France maybe.

• Options

That may be the case at least from a scientific point of view. But since it seemed like such a big deal philosophically and theologically when heliocentrism became accepted I figured there’d have been a similar thing when someone came to the conclusion that the sun wasn’t the center either.

Maybe they had been so thoroughly disappointed once already that learning we’re even less special wasn’t a big deal.

I've kind of found that the more I've read about the more it seems like the importance of it was overblown a bit

the fiercest arguments seem to have been about being dedicated to certain ideas on a scriptural basis or that philisopher style really wanting shit to be nice and neat, more than us not being special. I mean, this is the mundane world we are talking about, after all. Geocentrism implies a lot more than just the earth being in the center - and for many that wasn't the most important thing about that model.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Also noticed that, at least translated to English, the crime Galileo plead guilty to was “suspicion of heresy”. Might have been an emphasizing word prior to heresy there, but the key part was suspicion.

What kind of sloppy legalese system can you be guilty of being suspected of something. It defies all logic.

mods pls indict Honk on charges of suspicion of contempt of The Law

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

wtb good dex weapon

Great Scythe. An easy-ish crazy loot run early in the game will get it for you. Thing is a beast.
    i've never been a huge fan of the moveset but it might be worth a try now

tempted to farm a side sword but ugh

straight swords

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

I love this stuff because it's like, yo, people a thousand years ago weren't stupider then we are today. They were pouring over this shit trying to figure it out just like us.

The history of finding the speed of light is fascinating as shit

and really, really impressive once they start getting close because it requires some serious cleverness to look at the orbits of the planets and their moons and figure out what the speed of light must be. Like, nowadays we can just like... measure it.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Suspicion of memery

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    phlogiston theory is my favourite debunked theory because they got the nature of combustion and corrosion almost exactly the reverse of the right way around

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Coworker wants my dining room table and chairs. I say, what number did you have in mind? They give a number. I say, ok, deal. They say wait what if I’d offered (smaller number). I say, I guess we’ll never know

Now they’re trying to haggle! After I accepted their initial offer

Some people have no honor >(

• Options

Asking for a friend.

it's part of the curriculum in many parts of the pentago

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    shitty ass rapier took six hits to kill a necromancer

gawd

• Options

I've kind of found that the more I've read about the more it seems like the importance of it was overblown a bit

the fiercest arguments seem to have been about being dedicated to certain ideas on a scriptural basis or that philisopher style really wanting shit to be nice and neat, more than us not being special. I mean, this is the mundane world we are talking about, after all. Geocentrism implies a lot more than just the earth being in the center - and for many that wasn't the most important thing about that model.

Being special is probably a value I projected on it. One interesting thing is apparently the church was fine with the copernican system from a scientific and philosophical point of view - as long as you realized it wasn’t physically true.

Like observations and math says that we orbit the sun. But it’s not like that irl c’mon nudge nudge.

These guys.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Coworker wants my dining room table and chairs. I say, what number did you have in mind? They give a number. I say, ok, deal. They say wait what if I’d offered (smaller number). I say, I guess we’ll never know

Disgusting

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Asking for a friend.

In France maybe.

although DGSI would probably be unsure which list to put you in

not that I think they're overly worried about the OAS or the FLN these days

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    shitty ass rapier took six hits to kill a necromancer

gawd

no one held a gun to your head and told you to be not a waifu with a giant sword

no sympathy

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    this page reminds me of something I've noticed: whenever someone tries to sell an unorthodox idea by bringing up the notion that "X years ago people thought the world was flat" it is a sure sign they are full of shit.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    this page reminds me of something I've noticed: whenever someone tries to sell an unorthodox idea by bringing up the notion that "X years ago people thought the world was flat" it is a sure sign they are full of shit.

X is always "x hundred years ago" in that saying which really bugs me

try two and a half thousand years ago

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    X is probably now actually going by celebrity twitters.

• Options
    unless they're chinese

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I am angry at these hormones

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

Did you too eagerly accept though

Did you give yourself away

Or did you go hmmm

poo
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    "the Creator made the world in the form of a globe, round as from a lathe, having its extremes in every direction equidistant from the centre, the most perfect and the most like itself of all figures"

spheres are an easy sell. Spheres are kind of an inherently pleasing idea.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options

X is always "x hundred years ago" in that saying which really bugs me

try two and a half thousand years ago

Twenty five hundred years ago

• Options
    I also liked Brahe’s opposition to us orbiting the sun was that we’d see parallax in the stars and we didn’t. Unless the stars were like thiiiis far away it’d be negligible (undetectable then) and they fucking can’t be THAT far away come on.

And then the stars were very far away and he was right while wrong.

This discussion has been closed.