As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] is like normal reality, but butter

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    this shit is actually impossible

Nice to hear I'm not alone.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I am excited to try still. I love the customs but going back to the originals is always more fun to me.

They will undoubtedly crush me, I don't think I've SS'd anything yet...

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I did the Skyrim VR intro last Friday, hoping to find out how well it works with Natural Locomotion. Well, the latter didn't work and I didn't want to spend too much time on that, but my first impression was a mix between "Wow" and "Eww". It's definitely cool to be in that environment in VR, but this also highlights just how janky Bethesda's RPGs are. I'm hoping that this will be less of an issue once I've installed a bunch of mods, Natural Locomotion works and I've been playing for a bit.

I haven't had a lot of VR time lately, so maybe it's been a recent update, and I don't really have time to help troubleshoot, but it has been weird to see all these reports of Natural Locomotion not working, as it's been working great for me and is like the only way I can stand playing Skyrim VR.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I tried Falloutvr and man, that is rough to play. Definitely sticking to games built for VR next time. I made it maybe 15 mins before my head was gonna explode.

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I thought this was awesome. Impractical, and probably bad for your wrists, but still awesome. (I'm sure this doesn't even work)

And if and when they do come out with PSVR 2, I hope they keep lights on the headset and wands only because I think they look awesome.

mfnyuw2ysr021.jpg

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    I need a way to extend the Rifts' headset cables.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    I did the Skyrim VR intro last Friday, hoping to find out how well it works with Natural Locomotion. Well, the latter didn't work and I didn't want to spend too much time on that, but my first impression was a mix between "Wow" and "Eww". It's definitely cool to be in that environment in VR, but this also highlights just how janky Bethesda's RPGs are. I'm hoping that this will be less of an issue once I've installed a bunch of mods, Natural Locomotion works and I've been playing for a bit.

I haven't had a lot of VR time lately, so maybe it's been a recent update, and I don't really have time to help troubleshoot, but it has been weird to see all these reports of Natural Locomotion not working, as it's been working great for me and is like the only way I can stand playing Skyrim VR.

I've been wanting to try natural locomotion but I've never been able to get the demo to run. So I'm worried about spending $10 on something that may or may bot work with my rift, and I may or may not like with skyrim.

And now I'm playing through Arizona sunshine which is a blast.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I need a way to extend the Rifts' headset cables.

I'd like to do that too.

I logged in to Home for the first time in a few months yesterday and really enjoyed being back. It was my first time since the introduction of the new avatar system and I was unhappy that my original blue-outline avatar is no longer possible. I came up with something satisfactory but the accessories are different. It would have been nice to allow users to keep their old avatars.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I use these to extend my headset and it works great

USB - Cable Matters SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Extension

HDMI - Cable Matters HDMI Extension

Have been using these since mid 2016.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »

I don't think it'll be a major thing - I simply didn't want to spend time there and then on troubleshooting, so I just did part of the intro using the stick to move around. I expect to be able to resolve it within a very short time.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018

Slortex on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
  • Options
    Extending cables I'd highly recommend picking up a repeater for the HDMI signal. It made the difference between it working and not working for me. Without I would get sparkly pixels and frequent disconnects (and that's with a decent quality HDMI extension cable).

I picked up this one (which isn't in stock now) but I imagine any would work. Doesn't require any extra power, may draw more power from the HDMI port though (I've genuinely no idea how it works):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0748G8LFS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My USB extension is just a bog standard USB extension really. I've then just wrapped where the cables connect in duct tape.

• Options
    So I am really loving Arizona sunshine. Just got to the mines and it is tense in there! Question about that part, do you have to hold the flashlight reverse handed like you would in real life all tactical? I get its real but it gets uncomfortable to hold like that after awhile.

Another question about the rift in general, how do you clean the lenses. I constantly use the cloth after and in between sessions as it'll hit my forehead /get some fog/ I sweat it's vr, but I feel like there's a smudge on the left lens that isn't coming off. I know you're not supposed to use any cleaners , is there something you're supposed to use ?

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Also another question. I'm on Oculus rift and using the rift interface for Arizona sunshine and lone echo. I started a Arizona sunshine game and she started a lone echo game. In both games I believe I just see the Co tinge option. Is there a way for both of us to have different saved games?

Lone echo funny story no game spoilers. But juvenile so I soiled it :)
    So I guess if you grab the lady she pushes you away. My gf has been grabbing her breasts and stuff, and just laughing as the lady pushes her off and interacts. That's kind of funny.
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Extending cables I'd highly recommend picking up a repeater for the HDMI signal. It made the difference between it working and not working for me. Without I would get sparkly pixels and frequent disconnects (and that's with a decent quality HDMI extension cable).

I picked up this one (which isn't in stock now) but I imagine any would work. Doesn't require any extra power, may draw more power from the HDMI port though (I've genuinely no idea how it works):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0748G8LFS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My USB extension is just a bog standard USB extension really. I've then just wrapped where the cables connect in duct tape.

Do you remember how much they cost?

RickRude on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I'd like to try one of these (the closest thing I could find on US Amazon that was available was the Flashmen HDMI 2.0 amplifier/booster) with my Samsung Odyssey, which is oddly sensitive. Some people have been able to straight up use normal HDMI and USB cables to extend the length, but when I did, the audio/power was carried fine but the video would constantly drop in an out.

On the other hand, it's not like I have a lot of room to move beyond my PC's desk.

• Options
    RickRude wrote: »
    Also another question. I'm on Oculus rift and using the rift interface for Arizona sunshine and lone echo. I started a Arizona sunshine game and she started a lone echo game. In both games I believe I just see the Co tinge option. Is there a way for both of us to have different saved games?

So I guess if you grab the lady she pushes you away. My gf has been grabbing her breasts and stuff, and just laughing as the lady pushes her off and interacts. That's kind of funny.

It was about £15. So probably $15 to $20? If you go to Amazon and search for HDMI Repeaters you should be able to search the reviews for the word "Oculus". Pick the one with the most success stories!

If you've got a smudge on your lens, try the following:

- Boot in to Safe Mode
    - Go to user folder > Appdata > local > Oculus > SPUD on windows (so for me that'd be C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Oculus\SPUD) and DELETE all the files in there. Back them up first if you want :)
    - Reboot as normal

(instead of safe mode if you're comfy doing it you can just close the rift software and stop the OVRService from services.msc)

OLED screens aren't perfect, nor are most displays. SPUD files are calibration files specifically for displays, essentially it tweaks the display for better image quality. However the rift one appears to cock up (a lot for me) and can leave what look like a smudge or mark. The Rift alters this SPUD file on each boot up of the software, creating a mashed file, I'm not entirely sure why. I don't know if it's to try and cope with how it heats up and cools down or what. Deleting it forces it to create a fresh calibration file which works considerably better. It gives me a MUCH better image. I've set a script up to delete it on each boot of the system. It's a weird bug.

See here for more info:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/59948/new-curious-findings-about-spud-technical

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    So I am really loving Arizona sunshine. Just got to the mines and it is tense in there! Question about that part, do you have to hold the flashlight reverse handed like you would in real life all tactical? I get its real but it gets uncomfortable to hold like that after awhile.

Another question about the rift in general, how do you clean the lenses. I constantly use the cloth after and in between sessions as it'll hit my forehead /get some fog/ I sweat it's vr, but I feel like there's a smudge on the left lens that isn't coming off. I know you're not supposed to use any cleaners , is there something you're supposed to use ?

I haven't played Arizona Sunshine yet, but does the flashlight follow one hand independently? I assume you're using the Harries cross-arm technique. Another recommended flashlight posture is "neck-indexed". I.e. hold the light at your neck or along the side of your head such that it illuminates your firearm as well as your target.

In real life, this helps by illuminating the sights on your pistol to help you line up your shots. It also helps you protect your head from strikes in close quarters. You give up a little stability, but it might help you relieve discomfort to switch between postures now and then.

(I'm deliberately not linking to any explainers, because a lot of the relevant sites are run by extremist weirdos.)

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    That trailer gave away too much!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    What a weird game. I'm intrigued!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Old edit

It was about £15. So probably $15 to $20? If you go to Amazon and search for HDMI Repeaters you should be able to search the reviews for the word "Oculus". Pick the one with the most success stories!

If you've got a smudge on your lens, try the following:

- Boot in to Safe Mode
    - Go to user folder > Appdata > local > Oculus > SPUD on windows (so for me that'd be C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Oculus\SPUD) and DELETE all the files in there. Back them up first if you want :)
    - Reboot as normal

(instead of safe mode if you're comfy doing it you can just close the rift software and stop the OVRService from services.msc)

OLED screens aren't perfect, nor are most displays. SPUD files are calibration files specifically for displays, essentially it tweaks the display for better image quality. However the rift one appears to cock up (a lot for me) and can leave what look like a smudge or mark. The Rift alters this SPUD file on each boot up of the software, creating a mashed file, I'm not entirely sure why. I don't know if it's to try and cope with how it heats up and cools down or what. Deleting it forces it to create a fresh calibration file which works considerably better. It gives me a MUCH better image. I've set a script up to delete it on each boot of the system. It's a weird bug.

See here for more info:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/59948/new-curious-findings-about-spud-technical

Hmmm this could be it. I know looking at them it doesn't appear to have a smudge. Will have to try it out later tonight.
    templewulf wrote: »

I haven't played Arizona Sunshine yet, but does the flashlight follow one hand independently? I assume you're using the Harries cross-arm technique. Another recommended flashlight posture is "neck-indexed". I.e. hold the light at your neck or along the side of your head such that it illuminates your firearm as well as your target.

In real life, this helps by illuminating the sights on your pistol to help you line up your shots. It also helps you protect your head from strikes in close quarters. You give up a little stability, but it might help you relieve discomfort to switch between postures now and then.

(I'm deliberately not linking to any explainers, because a lot of the relevant sites are run by extremist weirdos.)

You can switch hands but yes it tracks it and you can hold it anywhere you want. I tried to mimic the style you mentioned like you see on TV and the movies. Will have to try the other way you're mentioning to switch it up. It's not uncomrotable at first, but the mines are pretty long and it was starting to give a little pain holding it the same way.

• Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I finally had some time to play VR over the long weekend. I planned to catch up on a ton of games I had not touched in a while.

Then I bought Gorn.

This has got to be the most fun I have had in VR, ever. I know I am late to the party on this but holy shit this is a perfect VR game. Fun, runs like a champ, and would be absolutely impossible in pancake/flat/2D/yourchoicehere mode. My son and I probably put almost 15 hours into it over the weekend. Also the stories are true; no mater how larger your play space is, you WILL smack a wall/floor/animal when playing Gorn. Short of playing outdoors it’s impossible not to hit something.

We also managed to finish Arizona Sunshine, so it wasn’t all Gorn. I had not considered AS’ DLC prior, but now that we’ve finished it and had a good time with it I might. Is it any good?

Edit: I think my little VR renaissance has convinced me to look into the new 20 series cards from Nvidia. I have Skyrim for PSVR and I love it but I kind of want mods, and that means moving to PC. Looking at the recommended specs for it an FO4VR have convinced me to pull the trigger.

LutExIV on
    26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Best effort at Country Rounds Expert+ so far.

I've been able to beat it on Learning mode by setting it to 90% speed, but that doesn't really count, so I'm still working on it.

https://youtu.be/1ZPBG0C3mzs

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    20181129-223459.jpg

It's here! Hope everything goes well and that i don't die in there

Peas on
  • Options
    Peas wrote: »
    20181129-223459.jpg

It's here! Hope everything goes well and that i don't die in there

Remember you'll need headphones (well, that's frequently true for VR in general).

Also, once you (and everyone else) finally gets the Windows 10 1809 update ("October" update, LOLZ), you'll get the Flashlight functionality, which will allow you to project a small window where you can see the real world via your camera feeds. I'm shocked this hasn't become more of a thing yet for headsets with that functionality--while it's fairly low resolution, and not in color, the latency is apparently very good. Potentially useful for picking things up, moving around, if you're talking to people, etc.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    The Vive headset has what is generally called Tron mode, you can doubletap the VR menu button and it gives you an overlay of the front camera.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Quick update: I just tried Skyrim VR with Natural Locomotion again and it worked just fine. The problem the first time around was that I wasn't putting my thumbs on the sensors, so the game had no way of knowing that I was walking rather than just waving my hands around.

My impression is that the game will need a few tweaks, though. There are a couple of mods I want to install, but more importantly, I'm finding it quite difficult to be in the right place and look in the right direction to be able to interact with things. The prompt is just outside my field of vision as well, so picking up things or looting containers and corpses is rather tricky.

I won't be playing this just yet, so I've got time to tweak things, but even if I just play Skyrim VR for 20 hours (I've given up on regular and SE Skyrim before), I think it'll be cool to inhabit that world... IN VR!!!

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    The Vive headset has what is generally called Tron mode, you can doubletap the VR menu button and it gives you an overlay of the front camera.

No kidding. I was only familiar with the wireframe guardian mode. Interesting.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Yeah, it's still Skyrim, but the VRness adds an extra layer of fresh. I know in my initial playings I was going around with two handfuls of the starter fire spell and just giggling as I set things on fire.

NEO|Phyte on
  • Options
    Borderlands VR coming to Rift/Vive after all -- it's a five month timed exclusive.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

No kidding. I was only familiar with the wireframe guardian mode. Interesting.

I will note that if you are a person leaving your headset plugged in when not in use, as I was before going wireless, occasionally tron mode breaks, and it'll give you the rendered overlays of the controllers/lighthouses, but not the actual camera overlay, and you have to reboot the headset to fix it.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    npuh2vwi6tdz.jpg

I feel like the first and last stats are woefully underused. Give Quill more lovin'!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    * Quill stats *

I feel like the first and last stats are woefully underused. Give Quill more lovin'!

I believe half of those "blades of grass cut" were me. I believe I tried to cut every single blade of grass in the game.

• Options
    I spent about 5 minutes petting Quill. She's so cute!

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Wait, you can pet and high five the mouse? Ok I need to play my copy now.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I'll eventually get this game and high-five & pet the crap out of that little mouse.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    LutExIV wrote: »
    I finally had some time to play VR over the long weekend. I planned to catch up on a ton of games I had not touched in a while.

Then I bought Gorn.

This has got to be the most fun I have had in VR, ever. I know I am late to the party on this but holy shit this is a perfect VR game. Fun, runs like a champ, and would be absolutely impossible in pancake/flat/2D/yourchoicehere mode. My son and I probably put almost 15 hours into it over the weekend. Also the stories are true; no mater how larger your play space is, you WILL smack a wall/floor/animal when playing Gorn. Short of playing outdoors it’s impossible not to hit something.

We also managed to finish Arizona Sunshine, so it wasn’t all Gorn. I had not considered AS’ DLC prior, but now that we’ve finished it and had a good time with it I might. Is it any good?

Edit: I think my little VR renaissance has convinced me to look into the new 20 series cards from Nvidia. I have Skyrim for PSVR and I love it but I kind of want mods, and that means moving to PC. Looking at the recommended specs for it an FO4VR have convinced me to pull the trigger.

I've been quite enjoying Arizona sunshine, and I belive the dlc is extremely cheap so there's no reason not to get it if you've enjoyed the base game.

For me, it's the first vr game I've sat and thought about when not playing it. I haven't played many games I have to say, but this one really captured me.

I must say also, I'm kind of afraid of heights, and I've felt a little uncomfortable in vr due to it. Did the iss space walk by bbc. Looking down at the earth, man did it make me a little queasy and a little scared. I'm surprised that in vr you can just get lost in the immersion and real life fears like that cone into play. Just feels so real. Felt good to overcome it and climb around.

Then I got lost in space .

This discussion has been closed.