[Octopath Traveler]: out now on steam

2456758

Posts

  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    No idea, maybe? Could be they were doing her story though, and you have to have the character in the party during their storyline.

    Oh right, that might be it.

    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The impression I've gotten from the demo and other pictures is that the first person you pick is basically the "Crono/Cecil" of the group, AKA the one party member that can never be swapped out. Honestly though nobody really knows any details by simple virtue of the game not being out.

    Is it like Saga Frontier, where each character was their own story but the other characters could show up in it?
    Is it like Seiken Densetsu 3 (what would have been Secret of Mana 2) where the overall plot is mostly the same, but with little tweaks and scenes here and there depending on which character you picked?
    Is it like Live a Live, where the individual stories of each character are all part of an all encompassing story and you have to play with everybody to get the full game?

    Personally I'm hoping for an experience where I can play through all the stories of all the characters in one playthrough, and I don't need to essentially play through the entire game multiple times.

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    PSN: TheWolfman64 3DS/Pokemon Y: 0774-4614-4065/NNID: the_wolfman64
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    The impression I've gotten from the demo and other pictures is that the first person you pick is basically the "Crono/Cecil" of the group, AKA the one party member that can never be swapped out. Honestly though nobody really knows any details by simple virtue of the game not being out.

    Is it like Saga Frontier, where each character was their own story but the other characters could show up in it?
    Is it like Seiken Densetsu 3 (what would have been Secret of Mana 2) where the overall plot is mostly the same, but with little tweaks and scenes here and there depending on which character you picked?
    Is it like Live a Live, where the individual stories of each character are all part of an all encompassing story and you have to play with everybody to get the full game?

    Personally I'm hoping for an experience where I can play through all the stories of all the characters in one playthrough, and I don't need to essentially play through the entire game multiple times.

    Uh... I'm pretty sure you could swap out Crono later in the story.

    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    milskiVyolynce
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    The impression I've gotten from the demo and other pictures is that the first person you pick is basically the "Crono/Cecil" of the group, AKA the one party member that can never be swapped out. Honestly though nobody really knows any details by simple virtue of the game not being out.

    Is it like Saga Frontier, where each character was their own story but the other characters could show up in it?
    Is it like Seiken Densetsu 3 (what would have been Secret of Mana 2) where the overall plot is mostly the same, but with little tweaks and scenes here and there depending on which character you picked?
    Is it like Live a Live, where the individual stories of each character are all part of an all encompassing story and you have to play with everybody to get the full game?

    Personally I'm hoping for an experience where I can play through all the stories of all the characters in one playthrough, and I don't need to essentially play through the entire game multiple times.

    Uh... I'm pretty sure you could swap out Crono later in the story.

    Well yeah, later on. But I trust you get the point. :) His was just the first name that kept popping into my head.

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    PSN: TheWolfman64 3DS/Pokemon Y: 0774-4614-4065/NNID: the_wolfman64
    Smrtnik
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    WHY I ONLY 3 HOURS WITH DEMO. WANT PLAY MORE.

    (But not enough to restart save a million times)

    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    BlueBlueShadowfireDonnictonGenji-GlovesNightslyr
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I found this on the Octopath Traveler subreddit, a comparison of the stats of all the characters (at level 1):

    BEST/WORST

    Max HP: Olberic (325) > Alfyn (300) > Tressa (275) > Therion/H'aanit (250) > Ophilia/Primrose (225) > Cyrus (200)

    Max SP: Ophilia (65) > Cyrus (60) > Tressa/Primrose/Alfyn (50) > Olberic/Therion/H'aanit (40)

    Phys. Atk.: Olberic/H'aanit (96) > Tressa/Alfyn/Therion (88) > Primrose/Ophilia (80) > Cyrus (72)

    Elem. Atk.: Cyrus (104) > Ophilia/Primrose (96) > Tressa (88) > Alfyn/Therion/H'aanit (80) > Olberic (72)

    Phys. Def.: Olberic (88) > Ophilia/Tressa/Alfyn (80) > Cyrus (72) > Therion/H'aanit (64) > Primrose (56)

    Elem. Def.: Ophilia (104) > Cyrus (96) > Tressa/Alfyn (80) > Olberic/Primrose/Therion/H'aanit (64)

    Accuracy: H'aanit (96) > Olberic/Therion (88) > Ophilia/Cyrus/Tressa/Primrose/Alfyn (80)

    Speed: Primrose (104) > Therion (96) > Olberic/H'aanit (80) > Cyrus/Tressa (72) > Ophilia/Alfyn (64)

    Critical: H'aanit (88) > Olberic/Primrose/Alfyn/Therion (80) > Tressa (72) > Cyrus (64) > Ophilia (56)

    Evasion: Therion (96) > Primrose/H'aanit (88) > Cyrus (80) > Tressa/Alfyn (72) > Ophilia/Olberic (64)


    Seems like my planned main party (Primrose, Cyrus, Therion & H'aanit) has the lowest physical defense of all characters. Great!

    Although physical defense seems fairly low across the board, and really only Olberic ('s class) seems designed to take physical hits.

    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    Shadowfire
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I stopped looking at the octopath subreddit a while ago because it was 99% shit posting.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    That's what happen when you make a Reddit a year in advance of any real substance.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    Road BlockBlueBlueShadowfireakjakNightslyrAndy Joe
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    a moment of prayer for the smash reddit, trying to cover their tournament results or whatever else is going on when suddenly, 1 million x 'guys what if 1-up mushroom is in smash bros'

    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Alright - Ophilia/Cyrus/Tressa clear, I had only thought "I'll get the healer first" and wound up going in octopath order

    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    Are the other characters' special commands as strong as Ophilia's summon? Being able to add an additional party member to the battle is great.

    teriferin#1625
  • ForceVoidForceVoid Registered User regular
    The scholar starts every fight by revealing a weakness, so that's pretty handy

    ShadowfireAndy Joe
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So despite the demo being three hours, what little of I played with Therion I have enjoyed. I fought the
    Butler
    and intent to play a little more later.

    The music that I have heard so far for this game is fantastic.

  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Are the other characters' special commands as strong as Ophilia's summon? Being able to add an additional party member to the battle is great.

    The apothecary can mix (super cheap) items that can have strong curative or damaging effects.

    No need to buy Antidotes when you can buy the ingredients for a cure Poison + heal 200 HP concoction for a fraction of the price.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    ShadowfireForceVoidTDawgNightslyr
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Less than two weeks to go!

    I'm ridiculously excited. Already thinking about team composition, subjobs and stuff.

    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    Shadowfire
  • ForceVoidForceVoid Registered User regular
    Delicious

  • timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Master Librarian and Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I was slightly annoyed that there were no health bars on enemies and this boss was taking forever to fight then I noticed the name changes color as they bet more hurt so now I'm good.

    Also I tried Olberic and the very beginning, I think he is only so powerful because it seems that the entire war is being fought by soldiers using just their fists and he has the only sword. Pack some weapons next time guys!

    timspork's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork


  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I was slightly annoyed that there were no health bars on enemies and this boss was taking forever to fight then I noticed the name changes color as they bet more hurt so now I'm good.

    !!

    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    LucedesAndy JoemilskiRiokenn
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I got to a 4th party member with about 2 minutes to spare in the demo. (That's with skipping all cutscene/dialog possible). I'd watched the full opening story of three of them and then just restarted for a "speed run"

    Ophilia was my 4th. I really wanted to get to the Scholar or Merchant as the 4th, but there just wasn't time. I started with the hunter, got the apothecary, thief, and cleric.

    Anyway. Can't wait to keep playing.

    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    Nightslyr
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    i am incredibly hyped for a dig deep jrpg for my switch

    xbc2 was amazing and i want more

    twitch.tv/frawrst
    J3qcnBP.png
    DonnictonForceVoidXerink
  • TimFijiTimFiji Registered User regular
    Ugh I keep staring at this demo wanting to start, but I can't! I need the full game!

    Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148
    Steam: Archpriest
    Streaming games and playing music

    ForceVoidNightslyrLucedesTulabelleZombie Hero
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Do things scale to your highest leveled pretty member? I started with Therion and rolled through pretty easily then went to the hunter. Quickly made it to the boss and got dumpstered.

  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    each story part you complete increases the levels of the remaining ones.

    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    8 days to go! :rotate:

    The official Japanese Twitter account has started a countdown, posting artwork of all of the characters, in OCTOPATH order:





    Meanwhile, I'm (somewhat) closer to figuring out my main character as I'm currently leaning towards Cyrus. Apparently a recent article in Game Informer mentioned that your choice of main character does affect the overall story at least a little bit, so I'm still agonizing over it. While Cyrus' initial story hook isn't all that interesting, but I really like his personality and he kind of makes sense as a protagonist. Plus, all of his skill and abilities are pretty useful. Therion and Primrose, meanwhile, do have some really interesting personal stories, but I don't really see them going out of their way to meet up with the other characters. Also, I'm not 100% sure how useful Primrose is gonna be in combat throughout the game. She seems to be kind of a jack-of-all-trades; I'm planning on giving her the cleric sub-job and essentially making her my healer, hopefully that'll work out.

    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    ForceVoidXaquinXerinkShadowfireLucedesNightslyr
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    OTOH, I like the concept of Primrose's story. Always room for a good tale to be told when you start with intrigue, conspiracy, and revenge.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    PolaritieSwashbucklerXXShadowfireNightslyrAndy Joe
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    OTOH, I like the concept of Primrose's story. Always room for a good tale to be told when you start with intrigue, conspiracy, and revenge.

    Conspiracy and chasing it down is a great way to end up meeting other characters too. I'm probably starting with her actually since her story made more impact than Olberic's (Haven't bothered with new demo)

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Everything I've seen of this game makes it look like a return to form for 1990s JRPG goodness

    I'm buying it day one

    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    OTOH, I like the concept of Primrose's story. Always room for a good tale to be told when you start with intrigue, conspiracy, and revenge.

    Conspiracy and chasing it down is a great way to end up meeting other characters too. I'm probably starting with her actually since her story made more impact than Olberic's (Haven't bothered with new demo)

    That right there was probably the final nail in the wait until I see a lot more coffin for this game.

    There is currently no actual reason for meeting up with the other characters. Which is... some very poor writing.

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So they went from FFIII (4 Heroes of Light) to FFV (Bravely) to FFVI (octopath)

    That said, I feel like the class changing is more FFV-ish. Though the characters having defined specialities from the start is pretty FFVI.

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    ForceVoidLucedesNightslyrShadowfire
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I'm still not really getting how this works and can't find a good explanation. I'm having a hard time following how "you can do all 8 stories in one save", "you can pick 4, ignore 4", and "you can play a solo character" appear to be all true statements.

    It's making it really unclear to me how connected (or not) these characters actually are, and makes me worried the story could be too shallow in terms of emotional payoffs between characters if the game makes half the cast superfluous.

    Like maybe the devs are saying "it'd spoil if the story if we told you" and I'd get that, but I haven't found them saying that.

    Battletag: Noggin#1936
    DemonStacey
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    That's what happen when you make a Reddit a year in advance of any real substance.

  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Tressa is basically Kimmy Schmidt (minus the trauma). Don't @ me.

    (She's gonna be my main)

    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    SwashbucklerXX
  • KyanilisKyanilis Registered User regular
    Oh good, there's a thread for this.

    I'm currently at the point in the hype cycle where I don't really want to play anything else. Do I just spend all weekend with the demo? We'll see!
    Noggin wrote: »
    I'm still not really getting how this works and can't find a good explanation. I'm having a hard time following how "you can do all 8 stories in one save", "you can pick 4, ignore 4", and "you can play a solo character" appear to be all true statements.

    It's making it really unclear to me how connected (or not) these characters actually are, and makes me worried the story could be too shallow in terms of emotional payoffs between characters if the game makes half the cast superfluous.

    Like maybe the devs are saying "it'd spoil if the story if we told you" and I'd get that, but I haven't found them saying that.

    They have said that the demo doesn't really cover it but there absolutely is character interaction. The amount, quality and/or if it'll be satisfying are complete unknowns. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since it feels like each character's chapter 1 is intended to be more or less solo (since any of them can be started solo, of course), but we don't really have any real proof yet, sure.

  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So the demo doesn't really have story reasons for characters joining up, still? But that may change in the full game? But the demo save file carries over? So it changing in the first section is unlikely?

    YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
  • KyanilisKyanilis Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    So the demo doesn't really have story reasons for characters joining up, still? But that may change in the full game? But the demo save file carries over? So it changing in the first section is unlikely?

    Out of the two characters I've completed their chapter 1s, their reasoning has been basically "I have this personal quest but it wouldn't hurt to have other people along!"

    It's admittedly pretty weak, but I'm hopeful that later interactions will make it a little bit better.

    Anyway, no, I wouldn't expect that to change on release. The demo is literally just the beginning of the full game with a time limit and post chapter 1 content blocked off, it shouldn't be missing any story content for that first chapter. And if it were, I imagine many people would be upset since they would be missing it by playing the demo.

  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    So the demo doesn't really have story reasons for characters joining up, still? But that may change in the full game? But the demo save file carries over? So it changing in the first section is unlikely?

    Out of the two characters I've completed their chapter 1s, their reasoning has been basically "I have this personal quest but it wouldn't hurt to have other people along!"

    It's admittedly pretty weak, but I'm hopeful that later interactions will make it a little bit better.

    Anyway, no, I wouldn't expect that to change on release. The demo is literally just the beginning of the full game with a time limit and post chapter 1 content blocked off, it shouldn't be missing any story content for that first chapter. And if it were, I imagine many people would be upset since they would be missing it by playing the demo.

    I mean, half the time in traditional JRPGs there isn't a much stronger reason for banding together initially (before it becomes a "we all must save the world!" sort of thing).

    The concern is that if the other characters are all optional, it seems like the impact they each can have on the story or other characters is inherently limited.

    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    KyanilisakjakNogginNightslyrShadowfire
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I can't wait for this game to release i have been waiting for it for ages.

    I have not even played the Demos i want to run in completely blind and just get lost in an ocean of jrpg.

    ForceVoidGMaster7Lucedes
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    So the demo doesn't really have story reasons for characters joining up, still? But that may change in the full game? But the demo save file carries over? So it changing in the first section is unlikely?

    Out of the two characters I've completed their chapter 1s, their reasoning has been basically "I have this personal quest but it wouldn't hurt to have other people along!"

    It's admittedly pretty weak, but I'm hopeful that later interactions will make it a little bit better.

    Anyway, no, I wouldn't expect that to change on release. The demo is literally just the beginning of the full game with a time limit and post chapter 1 content blocked off, it shouldn't be missing any story content for that first chapter. And if it were, I imagine many people would be upset since they would be missing it by playing the demo.

    I mean, half the time in traditional JRPGs there isn't a much stronger reason for banding together initially (before it becomes a "we all must save the world!" sort of thing).

    The concern is that if the other characters are all optional, it seems like the impact they each can have on the story or other characters is inherently limited.

    This was also in large part true to FF6 too and they still made it work - after World of Ruin the bare minimum amount of characters required to finish the game was Edgar Setzer and Celes iirc. anything that required dialogue from a character that wasn't specifically inter-character interaction or a personal quest was handled by way of generic text. (you could tell when this happens when there's no character name in the dialogue box)

    I would ideally assume a higher level of complexity than that in a more recent game.

    Shadowfire
  • KyanilisKyanilis Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    kime wrote: »
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    So the demo doesn't really have story reasons for characters joining up, still? But that may change in the full game? But the demo save file carries over? So it changing in the first section is unlikely?

    Out of the two characters I've completed their chapter 1s, their reasoning has been basically "I have this personal quest but it wouldn't hurt to have other people along!"

    It's admittedly pretty weak, but I'm hopeful that later interactions will make it a little bit better.

    Anyway, no, I wouldn't expect that to change on release. The demo is literally just the beginning of the full game with a time limit and post chapter 1 content blocked off, it shouldn't be missing any story content for that first chapter. And if it were, I imagine many people would be upset since they would be missing it by playing the demo.

    I mean, half the time in traditional JRPGs there isn't a much stronger reason for banding together initially (before it becomes a "we all must save the world!" sort of thing).

    The concern is that if the other characters are all optional, it seems like the impact they each can have on the story or other characters is inherently limited.

    This was also in large part true to FF6 too and they still made it work - after World of Ruin the bare minimum amount of characters required to finish the game was Edgar Setzer and Celes iirc. anything that required dialogue from a character that wasn't specifically inter-character interaction or a personal quest was handled by way of generic text. (you could tell when this happens when there's no character name in the dialogue box)

    I would ideally assume a higher level of complexity than that in a more recent game.

    You would assume that, yes, however there are plenty of games in recent years where if something wasn't explicitly shown it's because, well, it didn't exist. Assuming generally is a bad idea.

    That being said, I'm hopeful that the lack of interaction in the demo is, well, a chapter 1 only problem. I understand full well that this may come back to bite me, but I also feel like the individual stories might be worth it anyway so I'm not turned off completely.

    kimeNoggin
Sign In or Register to comment.