As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCEU]: The Batman, The

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oh hey, some actual movie news. Looks like the DC 2021 lineup is solidifying, and will feature:

--The Batman. Sans Affleck, it'll focus on Batman's detective side and have a large rogue's gallery.
    --The Suicide Squad. James Gunn will direct, the cast will be mostly all-new, and hopefully there won't be crap written all over the costumes this time.
    --DC Super Pets. ….yep.

Also, this happened:

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I hope they go back and give all the old DC animated shows something similar to Teen Titans Go movie. Bring back the old voices, same art style, etc

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I wish DC would stop coming up with responses to what Marvel is doing and start making movies that exist on their own merits. Spider-Verse sure as hell didn't feel calibrated to meet the moves of an opponent, in the way that this does.

Although Aquaman was definitely another targeted response to Marvel and I will die defending that ludicrous, nonstop cheesefest of a movie.

• Options
    Honestly, if Spider-Verse encourages everyone else to make theatrical-quality animated superhero movies, I'm all for it. As long as a Batman Beyond movie isn't, like, Bat-verse or something.

Batman Beyond sounds like a perfect candidate for this treatment, since he's a character that is less familiar.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    They better not screw up Super Pets and make it some Secret Life of Pets knock off with Tiffany Haddish and James Corden and whoever is the comedian flavor of the season.

Make it Homeward Bound but every time the pets get close to their owners they have to go stop crime.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Forgot to mention that I saw Aquaman, and... yeah, the impressions here were about right.

It was okay. I can't say I hated it, but I didn't love it. It meandered, it crammed a trilogy's worth of setpieces into one film, I liked some bits, the conversation explosions sure were a thing, it was fine.

I think I liked Wonder Woman more as a film. Aquaman's probably a solid #2 slot, but it's a long way down to #3, and we're going to need supplies, tools, and a pile of sturdy men/women if we want to go searching for 4 or beyond.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I wish DC would stop coming up with responses to what Marvel is doing and start making movies that exist on their own merits. Spider-Verse sure as hell didn't feel calibrated to meet the moves of an opponent, in the way that this does.

Although Aquaman was definitely another targeted response to Marvel and I will die defending that ludicrous, nonstop cheesefest of a movie.

I'm worried that this means that Terry will find a way to go back and meet the DCAU Batman. And Lego Batman.
    And possibly the less popular animated Batmen (Beware, etc) And they'll teach him how to be Batman.

Which could be good, but I've seen most of that movie already.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I hope they'll at least get the DCAU people involved. They had the vision to turn a cheesy marketing ploy, teenage Batman to sell more toys to kids, into a something that was creative, dark, and mature.

They already have a great template but there's always the risk that they'd play it too safe and lose the edge of the animated series.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    if spider-verse convinced some executive somewhere that the animated product is worth investing in then that's all to the good as far as I'm concerned

the only 'worry' will be that whatever they produce will inevitably not live up to the previous DCAU work, but then neither has anything else they've tried

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    if spider-verse convinced some executive somewhere that the animated product is worth investing in then that's all to the good as far as I'm concerned

the only 'worry' will be that whatever they produce will inevitably not live up to the previous DCAU work, but then neither has anything else they've tried

Topping Sub-Zero and Mask of the Phantasm is gonna be tough.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Mask of the Phantasm was done on a budget of $6 million. I wonder what they can do with a budget of $60 million.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Mask of the Phantasm was done on a budget of $6 million. I wonder what they can do with a budget of $60 million.

Cocaine and hookers?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Spider-Verse's budget was 90, so a fair amount.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I've said for over a decade that DC needs to show more respect to the animation wing then they have and it looks like they've finally clued in that that's the way to go.

• Options
    So, that animated Batman Beyond rumor? Never mind.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    nhq9rq1sh1og.png

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    If we get a Batman Beyond movie I hope Blight is in it.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    If we get a Batman Beyond movie I hope Inque is in it.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Inque got enough episodes. There was a lot of build up to Powers losing control and having an active super villain persona and then you get like two instances of it before he's out of the series.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

"You killed my father."

"Do you realise how little that helps narrow it down?"

The Beyond villains always kinda paled to the original roster, but that was the best line in the series.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Good, yes, but best? Only if we don't include RotJ.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options

"You killed my father."

The Beyond villains always kinda paled to the original roster, but that was the best line in the series.

I dunno, the Freeze had some good ones in his episode.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

Fair point.

"But all too soon, the serums and the shocks took their toll. And the boy began to share such secrets with me. Secrets that are mine alone to know. Bruce."

"It's true Batsy, I know everything, and kind of like the kid who peeks at his christmas presents, I have to say, I'm sorely disappointed. Beneath all the stern and batarangs you're just a little boy in a playsuit, cryyyyyyying for mommy and daddy"

"It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic. Oh what the heck, I'll laugh anyway, HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA!"

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    Also, DC gets me excited for something potentially amazing and that suggests they've managed the herculean feat of extricating their skull from their rectal cavity only for my joy to be completely dashed.

Good job DC. Good job.

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

"You killed my father."

I dunno, the Freeze had some good ones in his episode.

“Remember, There might be some momentary discomfort.”

• Options
    edited February 2019

Fair point.

"But all too soon, the serums and the shocks took their toll. And the boy began to share such secrets with me. Secrets that are mine alone to know. Bruce."

"It's true Batsy, I know everything, and kind of like the kid who peeks at his christmas presents, I have to say, I'm sorely disappointed. Beneath all the stern and batarangs you're just a little boy in a playsuit, cryyyyyyying for mommy and daddy"

"It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic. Oh what the heck, I'll laugh anyway, HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAAA!"

"If you don't like the movie... I've got slides."

(also)

"Get a clue, clowny! He's got no sense of humor! He wouldn't know a good joke if it bit him in the cape. Not that you ever had a good joke."
    "Shut up! Shut up!"
    "I mean, joy buzzers, squirting flowers? Lame! Where's the "A" material? Make a face, drop your pants, something!"
    "Show yourself!"
    "You make me laugh... but only because I think you're kinda pathetic." *laughs*
    "Stop that!"
    "So you fell in a tank of acid, got your skin bleached, and decided to become a supervillain. What? You couldn't get work as a rodeo clown?" *laughs again*
    "Don't you dare laugh at me!"
    "Why? I thought the Joker always wanted to make Batman laugh!"
    "YOU'RE NOT BATMAN!"

"C'mon, McGinnis. Laugh it up now, you miserable little punk. Laugh! ... I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"
    "Ha. Ha."

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Also, DC gets me excited for something potentially amazing and that suggests they've managed the herculean feat of extricating their skull from their rectal cavity only for my joy to be completely dashed.

Good job DC. Good job.

It's almost more impressive that they managed to jam it right back up there

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    critockcritock Registered User regular
    "Well, if it's a whoopin you're a wantin..."

"Papa spank!"

• Options
    "Bonk? Oh, right. Dead."

• Options
    "flrghple."
    "What?"
    "Flagpole."
    *whap*

• Options
    edited February 2019
    for reals and serious, though, when it comes to best lines, there's this one - delivered without a trace of hyena chuckle or mad braying, soft and almost purring, a creepy parody of intimacy:

"You've lost, Batman. Robin is mine. The last sound you hear will be our laughter."

Followed by a startled, disappointed:

"That's not funny, that's not--"

Then nothing, only the cackle of a broken bird turning swiftly to sobs.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Hamills gasping delivery of "That's not funny, that's not-" was spot on, and that those were the Jokers last words. Just perfect. That whole flashback was perfect.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Honestly, I think that had more to do with less content for us to remember fondly.

It had what....52 episodes and a movie (ignoring Justice League and such). No comics to build off of. And in that time, we got Inque, Blight, Shriek, the Royal Flush gang (older group, technically, but their incarnation here stands out to me for whatever reason), Spellbinder, Curare, Armory...I mean, hell, I even remember joke villains like Mad Stan. Now, this is speaking as a person who watches cartoons more than reads comics, but that's....pretty damned impressive, because that feels like a better group of villains than a lot of other comic characters I'm familiar with.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Honestly, I think that had more to do with less content for us to remember fondly.

It had what....52 episodes and a movie (ignoring Justice League and such). No comics to build off of. And in that time, we got Inque, Blight, Shriek, the Royal Flush gang (older group, technically, but their incarnation here stands out to me for whatever reason), Spellbinder, Curare, Armory...I mean, hell, I even remember joke villains like Mad Stan. Now, this is speaking as a person who watches cartoons more than reads comics, but that's....pretty damned impressive, because that feels like a better group of villains than a lot of other comic characters I'm familiar with.

Also, the Jokers. Batman Beyond was smart in realizing just how well its cyberpunk trappings - future technology and corporate dystopia - meshed with the Batman villain template. It's why the villains worked a lot better than just updating the traditional villains with neon tubing would have.

• Options
    "We're the Jokerz!"
    "Sure you are."

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Ok, I have to admit , aquaman was a lot of fun. Maybe even worth paying for a ticket in theatres. Easily the best DC movie although that's not a huge bar. There's wonder woman, this, and then everything else. It was entertaining but I'm not sure a good movie. Good enough for me, and Jason mimoa was awesome. I love his as aquaman.

I hate that we probably wasted an actually talented cast. I thought I was going to hate the flash they cast, love the guy on th TV show, but he was great. So was afflick who I was down on, Cavil could have been a charming superman and wonder woman was pretty awesome as well. They totally screwed up what could have been a good justice leagu.

Anyways, I wouldn't break my opening day DC embargo, if I hear good things, I am.interested in shazaam even more than I was before.

I want more DC movies like aquaman. I would and will watch it again because it's just fun.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I always get a kick out of a whole floor of factory machinery spontaneously activating during a life and death struggle

I think it's my favorite dumb action scene trope

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    I want more DC movies like aquaman. I would and will watch it again because it's just fun.

one of us, one of us

gooble gobble gooble gobble

• Options
    The latest DC movie under development is... The Trench. If that doesn't ring a bell, The Trench is one of the 47 different underwater kingdoms visited in Aquaman. You know, the one with the monsters. No, not those monsters, the other monsters. No, not those monsters either, the ones that were scary. On purpose.

It'll be horror-themed and have nothing to do with any of Aquaman's cast or the rest of the DC universe. So... I guess?

This discussion has been closed.