As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NBA] Thread: Dame Ascending to Final Form

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »

Oh goddamit

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Patrick McCaw is the greatest NBA player of all time

o9imvs8r6uh4.png

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Great for Toronto, sucks for Klay and Durant though. I hope they recover as fast and as complete as possible.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    After the bullshit with Kawhi in San Antonio where I felt his team threw him under the bus for not wanting to play when he felt he was still hurt, I'm glad he was able to win a Championship with the Raptors

Lol

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    So GSW hobbles into a 7-8 seed next year but makes the finals again? Cool...?

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    What's funny to me, is that after I got done posting about being unsure of steph's super elite value last night, literally the next thing I did was long on to YouTube and watch Thinking Basketball's very thoughtful rankings of the best players in the league for 2019.

He ranked steph 1st. 2 other smart basketball outfits he cited also ranked steph first.

I guess there are plenty of smart people out there who say I'm wrong. Not the first time.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Steph’s value is 30% his shooting percentage and 140% how you have to guard him out to the half court line, which makes the game 100% easier for his team mates.

There are some young fellas coming up who may develop this trait as well- Steph broke basketball (in a good way)

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    And for everyone else

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Steph does a lot of small things at a very high level that give him high ratings in the advanced metrics. He's good at screening, excellent off the ball on offense (which is rare for point guards), and a brilliant creator. He's not a good on the ball defender but he's not terrible, he's good enough to draw charges and gets steals which often translate into transition threes.

But Klay was so fucking good this series on both ends and at times made me feel like he was carrying them so I know where you were coming from.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Steph’s value is 30% his shooting percentage and 140% how you have to guard him out to the half court line, which makes the game 100% easier for his team mates.

There are some young fellas coming up who may develop this trait as well- Steph broke basketball (in a good way)

yeah i wonder what the next-generation of post-Curry trained players are going to look like

having multiple players on a team who can be a 3-point threat from pretty much anywhere

I don't know what defense is actually going to look like in the NBA in a few years

• Options
    There are talks of some rule reforms to bring back low post play. The most notable is changing the arc and eliminating the corner three. I'm not sure what I think about that but I definitely understand people that watch Houston and fear for the future. That style is as boring to watch as it is efficient.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    There are talks of some rule reforms to bring back low post play. The most notable is changing the arc and eliminating the corner three. I'm not sure what I think about that but I definitely understand people that watch Houston and fear for the future. That style is as boring to watch as it is efficient.

I feel like actually calling fouls on James Harden would be a lot easier than eliminating the corner three, mostly because corner threes are awesome and James Harden is decidedly not.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    ph blake wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »

I feel like actually calling fouls on James Harden would be a lot easier than eliminating the corner three, mostly because corner threes are awesome and James Harden is decidedly not.

That doesn't necessarily fix the biggest problem Harden and Houston exploit though: currently the most efficient way to score in basketball BY FAR is to draw fouls shooting from three. This undeniable fact has led average and below average shooters to put up threes at an insane rate because even less than average shooting from the corner is too dangerous not to defend. This is a reality that does not bode well for the league long term if/when more teams follow Houston's lead.

Eliminating the corner and even moving the rest of the line further back again would force more average corner shooters to play closer to the basket again and could bring back value to the low post game.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Is there anything wrong with low post other than it’s not as efficient? I would think spacing for shooters is good for low post dudes too...

I guess a dude posting up doesn’t collapse the D the way a good drive does, so it’s not just less expected points per shot, but also less options if you get stopped?

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Good low post players tend to be bad perimeter defenders. If an opponent has enough shooters most true centers right now can't stay on the court. The only ones even surviving are exceptional defenders like Gasol and Bogut or hyper-athletic freaks like AD and Giannis while everyone else in the middle is providing minutes to rest stars during the season and riding the bench in the playoffs. Even Bogut couldn't stay on the court more than a few minutes the last couple games because he'll get torched trying to close out on Siakam or Ibaka.

Butters on
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

https://streamable.com/iwoe7

It’s a house warming gift for Kawhi! He stay!

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Make regular baskets worth 3 and 3 pointers worth 4

That is my idea I haven’t even begun to consider ramifications of

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the ramification would just be reducing the value of the longer shots

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    y2jake215 wrote: »

it's a not a terrible idea. it breaks historical records which is a problem, and also it leads to a lot more foul shots which is kinda a bummer. but it fixes the shot expected value problem.

basketball has a 3 pt reckoning coming at some point, it'll be interesting to see which method they use to go after it.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Each player gets a set number of misses behind the 3 point line, and if they take a 3 point shot after that, they're given a technical.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    the ramification would just be reducing the value of the longer shots

Well that but fouling bad ft shooters (who tend to be back to the basket, interior players) would be incentivized

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    the
    Maximum wrote: »
    Each player gets a set number of misses behind the 3 point line, and if they take a 3 point shot after that, they're given a technical.

Are you that determined to drum Westbrook and Green out of the NBA Maximum?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    SPRAWLBALL_Fig_013_kg_edit.png?w=575

this is really all you need to see about why the midrange 2 should basically never be taken unless you are particularly gifted like dirk or durant.

turns out once you're 5 feet from the basket it doesn't really get significantly harder to make shots until you're basically 30 feet away.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

it's a not a terrible idea. it breaks historical records which is a problem, and also it leads to a lot more foul shots which is kinda a bummer. but it fixes the shot expected value problem.

basketball has a 3 pt reckoning coming at some point, it'll be interesting to see which method they use to go after it.

Instead of ppg players get a “% of team’s points” metric, can be retroactively applied

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    All dunks are worth BOOMSHAKALAKA points.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dunks from half court are worth HE'S ON FIRE!

• Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

Records and history aren't that important. The addition of the three point line in the first place fundamentally changed the game.

• Options
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

This whole situation reminds me of what happened to Micheal Bennett after one of the patriot wins. Overzealous police charging a black person for not giving them their proper due.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    you could see I guess a towel/sweat mop kid comforting Ujiri after Officer Fuckboy acted out

• Options
    also footage of Ujiri watching the end of the game shows he literally had his credentials/pass in his hand when he walked out to the court

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

This whole situation reminds me of what happened to Micheal Bennett after one of the patriot wins. Overzealous police charging a black person for not giving them their proper due.

• Options
    The history of Achilles' comebacks in the NBA is bleak as hell

• Options
    I guess "refused to show credentials" is the "he reached for my weapon" when there are 19,500 witnesses

• Options
    The history of Achilles' comebacks in the NBA is bleak as hell

Does Boogie count yet?

Durant’s foot injury 5 years ago was also career threatening

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I don't think Boogie has proved anything positive about Achilles comebacks yet.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Double post

Dhalphir on
This discussion has been closed.