Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PbP - The Champions of Virtue

PokeylopePokeylope Registered User regular
edited July 3 in Critical Failures
Welcome to the game! Lets begin

JHAbf7a.png

Osatha is a small continent in a big world full of chaos and darkness. Civilization is naught but a candle in that darkness, and the Leshian empire shines brightest amongst the world's flickering lights. The first Leshians to set foot on Osatha did so only a few decades past and the continent has already seen remarkable changes. As the empire pushes east the natives must choose whether or not to stand aside. Change is coming. The future's shape has yet to be determined and out near the little town of Poswick three unlikely heroes come together for the first time.


Bulmeer Bundgrom
AC:18 || Atk: +5 || Dmg: 1d8+3 || Spd: 30 || Init: +1 || HP: 27/27
Stats || Str: 16 || Dex:12 || Con:12 || Int:10 || Wis:15 || Cha:09
Saves || Str:+5 || Dex:+1 || Con:+3 || Int: 0 || Wis:+2 || Cha:+1

Athletics 5 - Insight4 - Medicine4 - Perception4
Champion: Crits on 19-20
Great Weapon Fighting: When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage dice for a two handed attack, you may re-roll and keep the new result.
Action Surge: Take a second action on your turn once per long rest.
Second Wind: Regain 1d10+3 Hit Points as a bonus action once per long rest.
Dwarven Resilience: You have advantage on saving throws against poison.
Stonecutting: You have advantage on skill checks related to masonry.


Axis Upon Repose
AC:10 || Atk: +5 || Dmg: 1d10 || Spd: 30 || Init: 0 || HP: 21/21
Stats || Str: 08 || Dex:10 || Con:13 || Int:14 || Wis:14 || Cha:17
Saves || Str:-1 || Dex: 0 || Con:+1 || Int:+2 || Wis:+4 || Cha:+5

Deception5 - Intimidation5 - Persuasion5
Darkvision, Resistant to both radiant and necrotic damage.
Healing Hands: Once per long rest, may restore HP equivalent to level on touch.
Radiant Soul: Once per long rest, turn into a literal angel for 30 seconds; able to fly at 30 ft/turn; once per turn, may deal extra radiant damage equal to level to single target.
Eyes of the Rune Keeper: You can read any language.
Mask of Many Faces: You can use disguise self at will.
Pact of the Tome (Spare the Dying - Guidance - Thorn Whip)


John Roep
AC:14 || Atk: +5 || Dmg: 1d6+3 || Spd: 40 || Init: +3 || HP: 21/21
Stats || Str: 12 || Dex:16 || Con:12 || Int:14 || Wis:13 || Cha:12
Saves || Str:+1 || Dex:+5 || Con:+1 || Int:+4 || Wis:+1 || Cha:+1

Acrobatics7 - Nature6 - Sleight Of Hand 5 - Stealth5 - History4 - Investigate4
Sneak Attack: Once per round you can do an extra 1d6 damage to any enemy you've hit as long as you had advantage on the attack roll.
Backstab: You may do sneak attack damage to any foe within 5 feet of an ally of yours as long as you do not have disadvantage on the attack.
Skirmisher: Once per round you may move up to half your speed as a reaction when an enemy ends it's turn within 5 feet of you.
Thieves Cant: You speak the secret language of thieves and scallywags.


B7aNhne.png


PART ONE: THE TREMENDOUS TRIO

Poswick is in peril. Nearby farms are being forced to pay tribute to a new pack of bandits in the area. The citizens of Poswick have pooled what little resources they have at their disposal to hire some muscle and defend what's theirs. Bulmeer Bundgrom, the town's blacksmith and toughest guy around was sent on a mission to find help.

His mission hasn't been very successful. Even in these trying times there aren't many men willing to risk their lives for a few pieces of gold. Those desperate enough to do so can generally find the opportunity closer to home. The men in the back of his wagon don't look much like soldiers. They look like the drunks and petty thugs they are. All except for two. John Roep, an old friend Bulmeer had been damned lucky to find and Axis Upon Repose, a well dressed Leshian who'd made him write everything up in a contract before he would agree to come along.

It's been a quiet trip south out of the New Leshian Colonies. You're traveling through the sparse forests just outside of Poswick when you see the first signs of trouble. Ahead of you in the road is a curious sight. An orc, a goblin, and a kobold stand next to a chest full of gold. They aren't killing one another, which is strange. Even stranger than that, it appears they want to talk.

The orc shouts in common. "Hail Travelers!"


opsc5Fa.png

So now it's your turn. Right now the wagon is far enough away you can talk things over without being heard. Ask me any questions you want, but I'd prefer to keep out-of-character chat in italics. If you need to roll some dice, I think that functionality is build into the forum but I haven't looked into it. I use Orokos for dice as it spits out a nice formatted bit of BBcode for you.
For your posts, you don't need to put the stat block in there unless we're in combat, but I think it would look nice if you put these little nameplates I made at the top of your posts.
14U8k0a.png
gH9OPt5.png
xiBlwvE.png
If you go to quote my post, you can just copy all the BBcode stuff and paste it into a new post. It might seem complicated now, but you'll get the hang of it.

You're being asked to parley with some unsavory looking characters. What's your move?

Pokeylope on
Scanloma
«13

Posts

  • ScanlomaScanloma Registered User regular
    ifuqm7vrp09s.png


    I'm not entirely certain how to properly place those nameplates. They do look awesome though.

    Axis Upon Repose is a man whose time, in a previous life, was worth quite a bit of money; most fiefkings' coffers would barely hold enough to keep Upon Repose in retainer for more than a few minutes. As he sat rocking in the back of the wagon, the stench of desperate peasants and unbathed strongmen soaking through even his heavily perfumed kerchief, he briefly reflected upon how far in life he had fallen. But he was biding his time; a phoenix from the ashes, and what not. So, after a moment of self-pity, he swallowed, steeled himself with the thought of his vengeance, forced a warm smile, and turned to his crew of companions. "Well, this certainly is an uncommon sight. Mayhaps we give them a listen, eh, chaps?"

  • JohnRoepJohnRoep Registered User regular
    edited July 3
    xiBlwvE.png

    John Roep stares warily at the trio of goons ahead of him, eyes darting back and forth between the creatures and their chest of gold. He has learned to be cautious of strangers offering deals, be it the governing officials on high who promised him a lifetime of riches and prestige if he joined the expedition to the frigid north, knowing full well the danger that they themselves could not handle, or the bastards who sold the crew defective and putrid foodstuffs, furthering the misery of his friends and crewmates. He gives a quick glance to Axis, removing the pipe from his lips and snorting deeply, hacking and spitting a hefty glob of spit between his legs onto the floor of the cart in which he rides.

    Insight check on the trio and their gold chest.: 1d20+3 15

    JohnRoep on
  • CryptikothCryptikoth Registered User regular
    Bulmeer has a great disdain for bandits, and often hunted them in the seige party of the dwarven guard. He desires to scowl but remains calm and composed at the sight of what may be criminals against the good people of osatha. He remembers the blood on his face and beard, the thrill of the hunt is exciting, even for a retired knight. He is calm but ready for some sort of bandit ambush to take place.

  • PokeylopePokeylope Registered User regular
    edited July 3
    John
    These guys seem like they really want to talk. The kobold shows his hand though. They're pack creatures, and he keeps turning to gaze down the road behind them. Looking for his pack no doubt, though his nervous demeanor suggests they may be keeping a respectful distance.

    Everyone can read spoilered text, but only the character it's intended for can act on it.

    Pokeylope on
  • ScanlomaScanloma Registered User regular
    b779n6o8n2sw.png

    Axis looks upon his sullen comrades.

    "No one has any thoughts? Perhaps they mean to parlay." <muttering to himself> "I think I have negotiation contract 16A-54 subtext 1 in here somewhere."

  • JohnRoepJohnRoep Registered User regular
    Roep eyes the Kobold suspiciously, his eyes scanning the tree line and then looks to Bulmeer and Axis, "The little bastard if awfully shifty, I don't believe they are alone. If one of you wish to speak to them, I have your back...but I wouldn't trust a word they say."

  • ScanlomaScanloma Registered User regular
    Scanloma wrote: »
    b779n6o8n2sw.png

    Whilst rifling through his briefcase, Axis surreptitiously attempts to discern whether there's anything suspicious or alarming about his companions, e.g., furtively clenched weapons, ugly looks, nervous hands, etc. He also attempts to gauge how many other men are riding in the back of the wagon.

    As he surveys his companions, he continues to mutter, "Yes, yes - there's always a diplomatic solution. All you need is a pen, some paper, and just a touch of contractual and binding clauses. Eh, Ol' Bulmeer?"


  • PokeylopePokeylope Registered User regular
    edited July 4
    The men in the wagon look nervous as it trundles closer and Bulmeer reigns it in to halt a few paces from the group in the road. The orc is clearly in charge and steps forward.
    "Greetings travelers. I hate to inconvenience you but I'm afraid this road has been closed by order of Chief One-eye."
    He speaks common very well for an orc.
    "I am called Grumsh, and I have been sent here to." He pauses for a moment, his hairy brow knit in concentration. "Lawfully requisition" He pronounces the words one syllable at a time as though he had only just learned them. "Any and all cargo heading to the town of Poswick."

    Pokeylope on
  • ScanlomaScanloma Registered User regular
    My perception check for my compatriots.
    Perception Check: 1d20 15+2(WIS modifier)=17

  • PokeylopePokeylope Registered User regular
    edited July 4
    Axis
    There's wildlife skittering freely about the forest and no large obstructions nearby to hide behind. There's no ambush here. The notice a telltale crease in the goblin's boot that indicates he hasn't entirely disarmed himself.

    The orc walks a bit closer and peers at the men in the back of your wagon.
    "We're not here to cause any sort of criminal mischief. We pay for what we take. For instance, these fine mercenaries." He flashes your hired help a toothy grin and shouts "Fifty gold to turn coats boys!"
    The men in the wagon begin exchanging calculating glances and one moves to get down from the cart.

    Pokeylope on
  • ScanlomaScanloma Registered User regular
    edited July 4
    An enormous, beaming smile creeps across Axis' face. He is no warrior, no, nor your classical adventurer. But goddamn, does the man know his way around a contract.

    He stands and walks to the back of the wagon, addressing the orc.

    "Mr. Grumsh, was it? Absolutely charmed. My name is Axis Upon Repose, Esquire, and I represent this band of men herewith. I regret to inform you that we actually possess the requisite permit to pass through these woods unmolested, specifically 'Waiver of Boreal Transit 1-d6 prefix 8b.'" He draws a mind-numbingly dense page of text from his brief case, waving it in the direction of Grumsh. "Moreover, all of these gentlemen have entered into a binding legal document with the town of Poswick that explicitly proscribes collusion with inimical forces and has a noncompete clause addressing actions contrary to and/or in conflict with the express interests of the aforementioned town body, persuant to local anti-interdiction legislature delineated in the Poswickian town code, paragraphs A through ZZZ and including amendments 1a through 2,340g. As such, any attempts to coerce or distract these men from their duties are utterly countermanded and abrogated and potentially subject to disciplinary action, elsewhere specified." He stops to take a breath. "In short, sir, you have no recourse but to allow us to pass."

    Persuasion roll 'cause some suckers 'bout to break contract: 1d20+5 17

    Scanloma on
    JohnRoep
  • PokeylopePokeylope Registered User regular
    edited July 4
    The man who had stood to leave withers beneath Axis's verbal assault, shrinking back down onto his bench. Grumsh wears the look of a man who's mind has shut down in self defense. From further down the road you hear the goblin cursing in his native tongue as he slams the lid on the chest and struggles to haul it off to one side.

    Sneakin away: 1d20+3 13

    Bulmeer and Axis have a passive perception of 14 and notice the kobold as it tries to slip away into the forest.

    Grumsh blinks a few times as his neurons reboot in safe mode. "You pinks are fools. Poswick will burn when One-eye comes, and you'll burn with it. Take the gold and leave or we'll bring you iron instead."

    Pokeylope on
  • CryptikothCryptikoth Registered User regular
    Bulmeer relflects upon Grumsh's weak words and smiles. "We have work to do, step aside". Bulmeer peers in the direction of the sneaking Kobold, making sure Grumsh's back handed attempts at a shake down are being thwarted.

    Intimidation: 1d20+1 6

  • JohnRoepJohnRoep Registered User regular
    Roep follows Bulmeer's gaze down towards the sneaking Kobold and grins. Removing a spool of rope from his belt, he deftly fashions it into a makeshift lasso. The seaman Roep knows ropes, and let us not forget he knows knots. He stands from the cart, walks a few paces forward and in a wide arc, hurles the lasso down towards the Kobold in an attempt to catch the sneaky bastard.

    An attempt to lasso the Kobold: 1d20+7 23

    I wasn't entirely sure what skill I use for ropes, I went with acrobatics but if that's not right I can re-roll, let me know

    Scanloma
  • PokeylopePokeylope Registered User regular
    Bulmeer coaxes the wagon into motion once again and Grumsh makes no move to stop you. His goblin friend spits on the road as you pass by.
    You gain 100 XP for avoiding a potentially dangerous situation.

    As the wagon moves along John Roep suddenly stands up, peering into the forest. With a practiced flick of the wrist he hurls a coil of rope into the underbrush and hauls out a familiar kobold.

    "HhsScraaaaa" The creature screeches and gibbers madly as John drags it up and into the moving wagon.

  • ScanlomaScanloma Registered User regular
    “Good show, my man! And how!” Axis begins to giggle. Once he is sure that the wagon has moved out of earshot of Grumsh, he breaks out into hysterical laughter.

    “The poor bastard!” he gets out between breaths, wiping tears of mirth from his face. “Didn’t even realize that the waiver of boreal transit 1-d6 doesn’t have a prefix higher than 7a! Ha!”

    After a moment, regaining his composure, he turns to the bound kobold. “Now, what do we have hear? A curious creature, to be sure.”

  • JohnRoepJohnRoep Registered User regular
    Roep narrows his eyes towards Axis, he does not appreciate liars, or a name he finds more appropriate, conmen. His slight resentment overshadows the fact that he bought Axis' lie hook, line and sinker (things you find on a ship, no big). He looks down on the Kobold, propping his boot on the creatures chest. "Either you spill your guts, or I will. Speak, bugger."

  • PokeylopePokeylope Registered User regular
    The kobold squints up at it's captor and begins to whine. "No spill, no break. This one is a lowly worm. This one is stinking muck beneath your feet." He glances round at the wagon full of angry faces and swallows hard. "This one can tell you, we are in the forest. We lie in wait, where trees turn to grass. This one is weak, but we are strong. We are to make the example. We are to slay trespassers in the grass. The pinks in town will sssee. They will know we are strong."

  • ScanlomaScanloma Registered User regular
    Axis hurries over to the bound kobold, muttering, "You brutes, you needn't be so brusque with the poor thing."

    As he passes, he leans in to whisper in John Roep's ear. "What say you and I play a little kind sheriff, unkind sheriff?" He pauses to wink briefly (WINK: 1d20+3 5) before turning to the kobold.

    "You poor thing," he begins, unwinding the rope from around the kobold. "Come now, let's get you fixed up and hear your sad little tale once again." Before the kobold can react, Axis lifts him gently and sets him on his hindquarters, snapping a clip-on tie to the cervical scale plates (Get TIED ON: 1d20+1 7).

  • ScanlomaScanloma Registered User regular
    As an aside, my rolls have been hot garbage.

  • JohnRoepJohnRoep Registered User regular
    Seriously. I think you just managed to fail a wink

  • ScanlomaScanloma Registered User regular
    I...I think you're right? Like, did that just give me a migraine? A stroke?

  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited July 5
    I think you might be failing to seduce the kobold.
    ... Wait, perhaps not. The wink was at the dwarf

    discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • PokeylopePokeylope Registered User regular
    The kobold perks up when you clip the tie on him. He runs a hand tenderly along the fabric before looking up into Axis's face and offering a hesitant wink of his own. "We have never seen a hat like this one. What does it mean?"

    Bulmeer: Kobolds live primarily underground. As such dwarves are quite familiar with their kind. You understand that articles of clothing are used in Kobold society to indicate each kobold's purpose. Dwarves have uniforms of course but Kobolds treat clothing (which they call hats and wear about the face regardless of it's intended purpose) with an almost religious significance.

    A task for which there are little or no consequences for failure does not require a roll. You can wink freely. Here I've interpreted your failure as the Kobold seeing the wink. It's lucky for you he has no idea what that gesture means.

    If you know you've failed a roll (generally 5 and under is a fail on even an easy check) feel free to either describe the circumstances of your failure if you have a good idea, or wait for me to fill it in if you think something interesting might happen as a result.

  • JohnRoepJohnRoep Registered User regular
    edited July 5
    Roep nods along to Axis, he typically doesn't like to play games and something in the dandy's wink unsettles him to the core, but he understands that sometimes a light touch, something seemingly stripped of him in the frigid tundra, can go a long way. "From him? A loving gesture, a kind gift in exchange for information. For me? An easy handle in which to strangle your rat face blue. We are going to town, you must understand. And we don't much care for ambushes, we would much prefer to avoid that. But if you won't help us do so, we'll gladly wheel this wagon into your compatriots nest baring your splayed corpse as a battle flag and we will butcher every last one of them. We are not simple travelers, you must understand. So why don't you start off by telling us about this Chief One Eye."

    intimidation check: 1d20+3 15

    JohnRoep on
  • CryptikothCryptikoth Registered User regular
    Speak! Kobold! We have little time to waste!

    Bulmeer winks at axis

  • PokeylopePokeylope Registered User regular
    edited July 6
    The kobold looks back and forth between Axis and John, twisting his new tie up with nervous fingers. "We told this one that one-eye came from the Jhag Dosin. Only the strongest survive the Jhag. He had strong orcs with him. He found us when he crossed the mountains. Mother wanted to eat them, but One-eye fights with words. He spoke to mother, and now we follow. We left the mountains and crossed the mire. He spoke to the goblins there. Now they follow too." He pauses for a moment, but a harsh look from John gets him talking again. He speaks quieter now, as though afraid of the words he has to say. "One-eye talked with the sheepkeepers. They did not follow. We fought them and ate well." He looks up sharply. "Sheeps! We ate sheeps. We would not, we never eat a pink. We like pinks. Pinks show us how to use hats, pinks are clever like a kobold is." He nods eagerly, hoping this flattery might help his case.

    Pokeylope on
  • JohnRoepJohnRoep Registered User regular
    Roep snorts deeply and spits

    insight on the Kobold's tale: 1d20+3 22

  • PokeylopePokeylope Registered User regular
    John: The kobold is too terrified and confused to pull any tricks. A kobolds courage directly correlates to the number of other kobolds nearby. It's telling as much of the truth as it knows.

    "This one was chosen for what One-eye is calling diplomancy but we have no hat for such things. We watch the road ahead, but we do not know you are coming. You can sneak past us if not use road, yes? No butcher, no flags?

  • PokeylopePokeylope Registered User regular
    Bulmeer and John: You both know the area well enough to surmise that the 'sheepkeepers' he referred to are probably residents of Shepsfield. A small town with more sheep than people out near the swamps where the earth grows sour. A town that is most probably nothing but ash by now.

  • ScanlomaScanloma Registered User regular
    Axis nods empathetically as the kobold concludes its story. He pats its head, a sad, tired smile on his face. "Seems that old One-Eye has really shaken things up as of late. You mentioned the Jhag Dosin; do you know what that is? And Mother - who is she?"

  • PokeylopePokeylope Registered User regular
    "Mother is our mother. She wears the crown. We do what she says because she is the smartest and best of all kobolds. Mother is the clan." He says this as though speaking to a child. Bewildered that you apparently don't understand how a mother works. "The Jhag is a dead place west of our mountains. The sun drinks all the water and nothing grows there. Very bad. We say that bones can walk in the Jhag, but this one does not believe it."

    The forest begins to thin out as you continue to ride along and chat with the kobold. Soon you'll be at the forest's edge where your prisoner has indicated an ambush of some sort awaits you.

  • JohnRoepJohnRoep Registered User regular
    “Well I suppose we should get off this road. Perhaps it’d be best to abandon ship and finish this trip on foot?”

  • ScanlomaScanloma Registered User regular
    Axis frowns. "I don't know this area well, and I'm worried we may lose our way -" his voice drops to a whisper "- and some of our troupe -" speaking again at full volume "- if we abandon the road. But I agree, we must do something. Do you think that we can reason, rationalize, or compromise our way out of a battle?"

  • JohnRoepJohnRoep Registered User regular
    "It's best not to reason with killers. I've dealt with terrain far harsher than this pleasure cruise, we won't lose a single boy." Roep turns to Bulmeer "You're most familiar with this area, do you know a way to town that doesn't require the road? A sneaky sneaky way?"

  • ScanlomaScanloma Registered User regular
    edited July 6
    Frowning but powerless to resist, Axis sits back in the wagon, surrounded by scared, tired, and despondent men. After a pause, he picks up the kobold and sits it beside him. They sit side by side, man and beast: Axis clutching his briefcase to his chest; the kobold, resplendent in its clip on tie.

    Scanloma on
  • CryptikothCryptikoth Registered User regular
    There is a path that will lead us there! But it is fraught with brush and foliage as it is long overgrown. It will lead us to town though.

  • PokeylopePokeylope Registered User regular
    edited July 7
    Your hired help begins to gather their traveling sacks as the discussion turns to leaving the wagon behind. One man who's been passed out in the wagon bed gets a boot to the side and starts with a yelp. Bulmeer slows the cart and points off to a patch of brush that's slightly less dense than the surrounding forest. He tells the assembled party that the trail is long and you might not make it into town until nightfall, but it will bypass the ambush entirely.

    The forest path will be a skill challenge:

    Your next few posts should all include a skill check describing how you use your particular talents to traverse this area or help the group to do so. Obstacles you might encounter include difficult terrain, inimical flora, getting lost, carving a path, improving morale, moving obstructions, whatever skill checks you can justify.

    The number you have to beat or tie is 10 for this one. I tell you this so you know if your post should describe a success or failure when you make it. The group needs to succeed on three checks before it fails three checks or there will be consequences.

    If forestry doesn't interest you, you can cut a path closer to the road and try to spot the ambush. Sneaking past will be difficult with a dwarf and a half dozen thugs in tow, you would probably need some sort of clever plan.

    Pokeylope on
  • ScanlomaScanloma Registered User regular
    edited July 7
    With a sigh, Axis stands and descends from the wagon, tightens his overcoat against the cool dusk twilight, and turns to help his kobold friend down from the wagon. They start off together as the party abandons the road, off to the side and largely ignored by the other men. Every now and again, one of the cadre's men will catch the strange duo in his eye, always seemingly in a different arrangement: at first glance waking hand-in-hand, on another occasion the kobold riding Axis' shoulders. On a third and very alarming instance, one man swears he briefly saw Axis astride the kobold like a horse; however, after doing a double-take, he merely found the man helping the little one over some brush.

    Unfamiliar with the territory, Axis is disadvantaged but not helpless. He briefly walks by Bullmeer and surreptitiously pats him on the shoulder, all the while muttering under his breath. I cast GUIDANCE on Bullmeer for whatever check he decides to make. When it becomes too dark to see, Axis snatches a nearby firefly, crushing it in his hand and rubbing its phosphorescent innards on the little one's tie. After a moment, it begins to give off a soft, yellow glow (I cast LIGHT on the tie). The illumination is not much, but enough to assure firm footing and help avoid some nastier mishaps.

    Scanloma on
  • ScanlomaScanloma Registered User regular
    I should clarify - with GUIDANCE, you can add a 1d4 to whatever roll you make. For flavor text, imagine you hear a number of whispering voices, filling your head with maddening nonsense - but every now and again, you can parse our a glimmer of something logical or insightful.

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.