As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ants! Ants! Ant-Man! (and the Wasp) July 6th...mostly.

SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man inWesterosRegistered User regular

5FbHK6dAKJaZ0pBIMixMS4nCQ24DraD5Q6q5yxrtXVY.jpg?fit=crop&crop=faces%2Centropy&arh=2&w=960&s=bc5d75ad231a3ec40abb0612d18afe74g

Ant-Man and The Wasp is a follow-up to the fun frothy joy that was 2015's Ant-Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUkn-enk2RU

It opens in the US and most other markets on the 6th of July...unless that is you live in the UK in which case you're stuck with the World Cup Quarter Finals and have to wait until the 3rd of August. Hurrah!

AHyXkPg.jpg

As the title suggests, Paul Rudd's Scott Lang is back and teamed up Evangeline Lilly's Hope Van Dyne to embark on an excellent adventure. Visual gags are sure to abound and thanks to Michael Peña's Luis I'm sure that won't be the only source of laughs either. As far as I understand, this one is set before Infinity War so it is unlikely do cover any ground regarding fallout from those events, but I would not be shocked to see something at the very end or after the credits. Maybe a 4vengers title? Who knows.

Apparently the mid-credits scene has leaked and is in the wild, so beware!

7qmGNt5.png
D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Saw this on Monday night. It was pretty good. The 3D effects in it are worth checking out if you like 3D, close to Doctor Strange levels of awesome.
    ?
    :(

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Mid credits scene:
    Exactly the turn off to seeing this that I was expecting.

No thanks, Marvel. I don't need to spend money on your product if you're gonna throw that dreck in too

A bit of a bummer to me, as Ant-Man is my personal "Easiest to watch over and over" Marvel movie, but I just don't want to pay money to be reminded of how much I dislike Infinity War

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Mid credits scene:

No thanks, Marvel. I don't need to spend money on your product if you're gonna throw that dreck in too

A bit of a bummer to me, as Ant-Man is my personal "Easiest to watch over and over" Marvel movie, but I just don't want to pay money to be reminded of how much I dislike Infinity War

Having checked out a synopsis of what happens I don’t understand what is upsetting about this.
    It’s a marvel movie that takes place before the events of Infinity War, it makes sense that the stinger scene would tie those two together.

• Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    wait, what happens

• Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2018
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    wait, what happens

If you REALLY want to know...
    like seriously real spoilers. double layer for accidental clicks.
    Hank, Janet, Hope and Scott are somewhere testing an updated way to get to the Quantum Realm and send Scott in for something. When he's ready to get out, they start a countdown to get him and as it hits 2 it goes silent on Scott's end. Cut back to the team and Hank, Hope and Janet are all puffs of dust...

Legacy on
  • Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    Mid credits scene:

Having checked out a synopsis of what happens I don’t understand what is upsetting about this.
    It’s a marvel movie that takes place before the events of Infinity War, it makes sense that the stinger scene would tie those two together.
    Picture being served a banana split that was actually a giant turd covered in soft-serve. Now picture being about to order a sundae and being told there is also a bit of turd at the bottom of the sundae.

Maybe you'd just skip the sundae?

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    Mid credits scene:

Picture being served a banana split that was actually a giant turd covered in soft-serve. Now picture being about to order a sundae and being told there is also a bit of turd at the bottom of the sundae.

Maybe you'd just skip the sundae?
    You’re complaining, and saying this movie isnt worth paying money for, because of a 30 second stinger that plays during the middle of the credits and has no bearing on the other 2 hours of the movie.

Over something that anyone who has seen a Marvel movie before would have seen coming a mile away.

I’m not sure what your specific beef is with Infinity War, but this is a little silly

• Options
    I wanted to post my opinion. Apparently you wanted to post your opinion on my opinion

Now we can both feel silly.

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I actually don’t feel silly at all. I’m still astounded that you’re upset by that scene.

I’ll probably go see this tonight.

Marathon on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    My slight beef with everything:
    more detailed movie spoilers
    Everything at the end is happening at the same instance of the snap, why was everyone up on a rooftop testing a small way to get to the QR? IW takes place in a short amount of time, but they must've seen something about the New York incident on the news. They weren't testing it in hopes to help in the battle, as they said they were just collecting healing particles for Ghost, so...why aren't they trying everything they can to help with alien invaders?

And this is obviously some time after this current movie ends(i doubt they made a portable portal in a week...), so why did they say Scott was still on house arrest in IW? He would've been out for a little while before IW takes place and it's kinda surprising nobody called Ant-Man after seeing his giant stunt again in SF.

Small nitpicks though. Still a fun movie.

Legacy on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Seeing this tomorrow. I'm not expecting much, so I'm sure I will enjoy it (minus theater goers). I'm hoping this can at least wash the taste of Jurassic World 2 out of my mouth.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    This was a fun movie!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Haven’t seen the movie, but I feel this must be posted

https://youtu.be/xyGwMqMCta4

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed this movie.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    This was very fun and funny

I especially liked
    The seeds they're planting for Cassie to become Stature/Stinger

I expect that to definitely be a thing in the third movie and very possibly in A4

And that they added a third father/daughter parallel relationship in Bill/Eva, it's a neat theme of these movies

Also these movies have some of my favorite action scenes in cinema, all the size-shifting gets so cool

• Options
    DversedDversed Registered User regular
    This movie was fun and I now want to learn up close magic

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    This felt like the most " well it is a movie I saw" marvel movie since Dr strange

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Is this the first Marvel movie where
    No one died? Some ants I guess. Maybe that bad FBI guy? They just said agent down, so he could have survived. No real explicit killing?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    No one died? Some ants I guess. Maybe that bad FBI guy? They just said agent down, so he could have survived. No real explicit killing?
    No real explicit villain, either. Goggins maybe comes the closest, but even he is just a henchman to forever the unseen buyer is (my money's on Doctor Claw). Truly the smallest of stakes.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

Sounds like that depends on if you count...
    the post credits scene?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    The de-aging technique on Pfeiffer and Douglas and Fishburne looked terrific.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    This was a fun movie that I liked a lot! It almost shoulda just been called The Wasp, though. Hope was a fucking wrecking ball

At times in the past movies it's been kinda uncanny, and it still looked a bit wonky on Douglas if you squinted, but Pfeiffer looked phenomenal in that scene

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    This was a fun movie that I liked a lot! It almost shoulda just been called The Wasp, though. Hope was a fucking wrecking ball

At times in the past movies it's been kinda uncanny, and it still looked a bit wonky on Douglas if you squinted, but Pfeiffer looked phenomenal in that scene

Take a moment to compare it to the de-aging in Tron: Legacy (2010) and it's pretty impressive how far those techniques have come along.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    soon they will never have to cast a young person again

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    If it means Chris Evans can be Captain America for the next 30+ years, I'm OK with it.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    If it means Chris Evans can be Captain America for the next 30+ years, I'm OK with it.

No, that's terrible!

The man hasn't had a carb in like 10 years let Chris Evans eat a donut for god's sake

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    No, they can CGI the cheeseburgers and donuts away, it'll be fine.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Can they CGI me some abs

• Options
    Can they CGI me some abs

If we are all wearing AR glasses then it could work!

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

Or persons at all, give us the bright future where all films are procedurally generated with no human input

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Lots of fun! I’d have a hard time sizing it up against Ant-Man 1, they’re very similar movies.

I’ll say I really hated Hope in 1 and she was by far the standout this time around.

Ghost and Walton Goggins were kinda back on the old super forgettable villain mode, though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ending scenes.
    Dick move writers. Grade A bullshit to ruin all the endings that way.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I liked Ghost a lot

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »

Or persons at all, give us the bright future where all films are procedurally generated with no human input

but the mcu already exists

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Hey

Harry Dean Stanton was in a MCU film and Harry Dean Stanton was a goddamn person goddamnit

• Options
    I’ll say I haven’t seen a movie being such an efficient comedy of errors in a long while. It sets all its clocks in plain view right at the beginning and gets them ticking right in front of you and you never lose track of all the things that are going wrong while the deadlines get tighter and tighter.

Much like an up-close magic trick.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Also Agent Wu is basically phase 1 Coulson and I love him with all my heart.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Expanded reaction on ending scenes now that I'm home, because apparently I hit quote and not edit and didn't notice.
    First off, congrats, you just decided the correct ending was to trap dad in the quantum realm and kill everyone who could rescue him. For what? What fucking narrative purpose did that diablos ex machina serve?
    Second, you completely ignored the rules you set for that. Because it clearly takes 5-10 seconds to happen. Fury was able to get around the car, rummage in it, and hit a panic button before it ran out. You telling me none of those three could throw the switch in time?

I really liked the movie, but that ending scene was bullshit and ruins the experience for no reason.

The entire fucking conflict of the movie is dad staying out of trouble so he can reunite with his family, and to reunite the Pym family. And they even manage to save Ghost. Except then some idiot decides the ending scene should take the last two hours, undo it, and then make everyone worse off than before, just because they have to have a Thanos tie in. No, fuck that. There are a million ways to do that without fucking ruining the entire conclusion you spent two hours reaching.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I liked Ghost a lot

You would

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Stinger
    Y’all should stop watching the stingers if you don’t want to see a tease of the next marvel film. It’ll either be a mostly forgettable one-off gag or a tie-in. I honestly don’t know what you were expecting.

Besides this leaves room for Laurence Fishburne and Cassie to save Scott at the start of Avengers 4