As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Amazon workers are still striking transnationally I think

Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
edited July 2018 in Social Entropy++
We hereby re-publish the proposal launched by the Spanish Amazon workers to all the workers of Amazon in Europe for a day of strike in the second half of July during the Prime Day. The workers write in their text that only by organizing a transnational strike Amazon won’t be able to use its logistics network to weaken the effects of the strike. On the website of Spanish Amazon workers Amazon en Lucha it is possible to find the call translated in several languages.

In many European countries, Amazon workers have been fighting Amazon’s lousy employment and anti-union policies for years. For some time there has also been an exchange of employees and the various trade unions for a transnational unit of action of the employees at Amazon. At the same time, the national fighting conditions vary due to different legal requirements and degrees of organisation. It is therefore completely self-explanatory that strike planning lies with the workers’ struggle organisations, the trade unions, and nowhere else. In this sense, we share the call of Amazon employees in Spain on our homepage and on Facebook to document the international struggles and as an interesting debate proposal for a possible common action of in July 2018. Stay tuned!

Dear comrades,

The struggles against the abuses of the multinational company Amazon and for the distribution of its benefits are spreading throughout Europe. In spite of the company’s strategy to open new centres in countries that are “quieter” from the point of view of trade unionism, the tough working conditions it enforces are driving more and more workers to rebel against them.

In Poland they are using a hard anti-strike law to impose miserable salaries. In Germany the struggle for a collective agreement guaranteeing the rights of all workers independently of their centre continues. In France the very demanding measures to control times and efficiency remain in place. In Spain the working conditions were unilaterally imposed by the company in its main logistic centre once the previous collective agreement expired. In Italy, where fixed-term contracts are the norm, there are thousands of casual workers in its logistic centres. In the rest of the world Amazon is making history, but hardly distributes its millions in profits.

Last March in MAD4 we started an intense struggle to gain back a collective agreement that enshrines our historical rights and sets better working conditions, as we deserve. On March 21st and 22nd we called for a strike that was supported by over 95% of the workers. Since then, we have continued with our actions in order to put pressure on the company.

However, we know that Amazon is using its logistic network in Europe to counter the effect of our respective strikes. We in Madrid believe that only if we struggle together will we gain recognition for our demands. Similarly, only with a joint action at a European level will workers organize in those places where there is no union representation yet.

It is for these reasons that we are promoting the idea of a European general strike in the second week of July. That is when Prime Day is, a day during which Amazon aims to sell millions of products in what is one of its most important days of sales. The idea is that if no concessions to the workers are made, that day will not take place.

In the following weeks we will get in touch with all the centres to discuss the idea and work together in the format of this historical mobilisation.

Health and decent jobs for all Amazon workers! To victory always!

TLDR:Please don't do any Amazon bullshit today or until the fifteenth.

And if Amazon or any of your liberal friends put out another fucking tip-jar to "Show support for the striking workers", please explain to them that the purpose of a business is to make money, and that the purpose of a strike is to make the business make less money.

Edith Upwards on

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    your avatar of choice sure makes this whole thread seem a little suspect!

• Options
    I guess the Enron association is bad? I guess I'll change it.

• Options
    I guess the Enron association is bad? I guess I'll change it.

oh buddy

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Elon is not much better, all things considered.

sig.gif
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    People have the right/purpose to a safe and healthy work environments and also a livable wage.

You'll find no sympathy for Amazon or Bezos from me.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    It was a joke, the joke being that Elon is a scumbad.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Wow, I hope something like this happens in the US

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Good on them.

That said, daddy needs his super discounted kindle books.

No but seriously. Amazon needs some hardcore workers rights changes

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I ordered something yesterday that won't ship until next week, so I guess I'm going against the strike.

sig.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I ordered something yesterday that won't ship until next week, so I guess I'm going against the strike.

Nah youre good you didnt buy it during the strike

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    so I can find all of three mentions of this with a cursory google, and no actual web presence beyond the link the OP posted which is a couple months old

I don’t doubt they’re striking but there sure is no online mention of it!

• Options
    Yep. Mostly confined to social media.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Wouldn't decreasing the usage of Amazon's services reduce the effect of a strike?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    The purpose of the strike is not to cause disruption and failures, but to reduce the amount of money Amazon makes.

• Options
    It's currently 3:32 PM in Spain, where the workers are trying to start a strike.

Let's see what happens.

If it's anything like Amazon in the US, they were all fired at first break, and were replaced by lunchtime.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I've seen a little bit of this on social media, it doesn't seem like there's enough momentum to cause even a blip for Amazon, but that's purely anecdotal.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I didn't even know this was a thing until just now

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    so for folk who watch twitch and want to donate to streamers, check and see if they have a patreon, ko-fi, or non-amazon wishlist instead

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2018
    Isn’t the strike through the 17th aka Prime Day?

Ah, Euro dates

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    the first thing i thought was: how the hell do you stop using Amazon Web Services without being completely off the internet for the day?

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    the big thing is simply not ordering from amazon, or giving them money directly out of your own hands

I knew about the strike yesterday, and since I rarely order anything online (even when I need something, desperately) I went out of my way to order a few things I needed from a big box store's site

kinda hit two birds with one stone: pierced through my executive dysfunction to take care of some shit I've been sitting on, and exercised a little good praxis on the side

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    What if I preordered a game a while back and it will arrive Thursday? Am I still okay?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    What if I preordered a game a while back and it will arrive Thursday? Am I still okay?

Sure, as long as you don't open it or play until after the 15th. You monster.

I kid! If you purchased something before the boycott, and don't purchase during the boycott, you're still a part of the boycott.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

You didn't order it during the time of the boycott/strike, it's fine

• Options
    I buy a lot of things from Amazon

I will participate in the boycott to support the strike

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Remember to avoid Twitch and Audible as well if at all possible, as well as Kindle of course.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Depending on how seriously you take the strike, when you pre-order something from Amazon they don't take the money until it ships.

So if it ships during the strike you'll be paying them during the strike.

But you ordered it earlier sooooo it's kinda tricky.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    should I turn off my kindle fire with the ads?

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    should I turn off my kindle fire with the ads?

yup, amazon makes money off of ads

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    960x0.jpg?fit=scale
    Forbes: Amazon Boycott Unites Workers, Shoppers, Gamers for Prime Day

Amazon workers in Europe have walked out again ahead of a global 'Prime Day' boycott highlighting the poor conditions that fulfillment-center staff have endured for years.

On Monday, a growing number of online workers, gamers, and shoppers plan to boycott Amazon over its treatment of low-level workers, who have criticized the company's tough working conditions on multiple occasions. To get the company's attention on these issues, organizers hope their boycott will make a dent in Amazon's bottom line on June 16, 2018, a.k.a. Prime Day, one of the retail giant's biggest sales days of the year.

In a lead-up to the boycott, which has increasingly gained support on social media, Amazon workers in Spain launched a general strike last week Tuesday that is expected to last through Monday. Workers at other European Amazon facilities have reportedly joined the walk-out, including groups in Italy, France, England, Germany, and Poland.

More in the article, but it's kind of a questionable to post full articles.

• Options
    Yes, I am in

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Workers, Shoppers, GAMERS!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Gamers are obviously not shoppers, as they pirate everything! Pirates unite, arr!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Workers, Shoppers, GAMERS!

all we have to do to get gamers on board is tell them that boycotting amazon will somehow dox a woman

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    True gamers would never support a company that names itself after a tribe of man-hating women.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    True gamers would never support a company that names itself after a tribe of man-hating women.

Like they would know that :rotate:

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I thought the company was named after the river in South America...

OH! Yes, the amazonians! Totally didn't not think of them first, nooo...

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    It's a little known fact but you actually pronounce the company's name like Penny Hartz pronounces "Amazing".

Also reminder, it's Prime Day today--please do not buy anything from Amazon today.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    It's a little known fact but you actually pronounce the company's name like Penny Hartz pronounces "Amazing".

Also reminder, it's Prime Day today--please do not buy anything from Amazon today.

I thought the strike was over yesterday?

Edit nevermind I did not see that post before mine.

furlion on
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion