As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

technology of future computers

decoy_octopusdecoy_octopus Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So my dad was telling me how he just talked to his friend who works in a think-tank at Los Alamos. His job is to come up with the concept ideas for inventions post-future. Kinda like the stuff that will be invented after we are all dead. He told my dad that roughly 100 years from now, computers will be as different as contemporary-computers are now compared to the old pull-crank adding machines. And they won't run on electricity. Due to confidentiality agreements, the friend could not tell my dad more.

I'm curious what kinda theories have been released--as to alternatives to electricity. What could we possibly use unstead of electricity? Any thoughts?

decoy_octopus on

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    He might have been talking about organic DNA-based computers, but I don't think those are really suitable for home use. However they are probably at the more feasible end of scifi computers compared to quantum computers and arteficial brains.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2007
    Computers will run on cake.

Chiffon has the most RAM.

And yes, they've been talking about organic-based chips ever since "omigod, the human genome, we are gods unto men!"

And in the last ten years I think that's about as far as they've gotten with that. A kind of "wow, wouldn't it be neat?"

Aroduc on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    100 years ago they thought that modern life would be something like this:

future_new_york.jpg

I'd say that our own projections about 2100 are actually going to prove to be less accurate.

moniker on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    moniker wrote: »

future_new_york.jpg

I'd say that our own projections about 2100 are actually going to prove to be less accurate.

That's not too far off. Replace those old planes with jumbo jets and the sky bridges with subways and you're good to go.

Though we've never been that great at predicting the future. If we were, we wouldn't be writing messages to each other on the internet on computers right now.

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    James wrote: »

future_new_york.jpgI'd say that our own projections about 2100 are actually going to prove to be less accurate.

That's not too far off. Replace those old planes with jumbo jets and the sky bridges with subways and you're good to go.

Though we've never been that great at predicting the future. If we were, we wouldn't be writing messages to each other on the internet on computers right now.

So if you were to replace the single most defining element of the picture with something completely different that is currently used (meaning the prophecy is strictly 'tall buildings would exist') it would be a fairly accurate description of modern cities? Incredible!

Notice the elevated tracks running alongside buildings above boulevards dedicated solely to motorized traffic rather than any pedestrians at all. That is the exact opposite of where New York is heading, pushing the use of pedestrian traffic over driving. Let alone promoting trains running through/over skyscrapers at 60 storys.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

future_new_york.jpgI'd say that our own projections about 2100 are actually going to prove to be less accurate.

So if you were to replace the single most defining element of the picture with something completely different that is currently used (meaning the prophecy is strictly 'tall buildings would exist') it would be a fairly accurate description of modern cities? Incredible!

Notice the elevated tracks running alongside buildings above boulevards dedicated solely to motorized traffic rather than any pedestrians at all. That is the exact opposite of where New York is heading, pushing the use of pedestrian traffic over driving. Let alone promoting trains running through/over skyscrapers at 60 storys.

The subway is a major part of many modern cities. They got the aethetics a bit wrong, but the function is still there. As far as pedestrian traffic is concerned, they had no way of predicting that.

James on
  • Options
    Prophetavius VProphetavius V __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Too bad computers of today aren't really fundamentally different from the crank machines. They both still compute, it's just that today we compute so much that we can process even more complex functions.

We may not be able to predict what the internals of a computer in the distant future will be made of, but the fact remains we do know what computers will be doing 100 years, even 1000 years down the line. To me that's the more interesting prospect of all this. And I suspect for many others as well.

Prophetavius V on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

The subway is a major part of many modern cities. They got the aethetics a bit wrong, but the function is still there.

Subways do not line both sides of every street as well as bridge the tops of buildings to have roughly 5 lines intersect every block. Even bus lines aren't as frequent as this and they don't require any infrastructure or encroach on the building owner at all.
    As far as pedestrian traffic is concerned, they had no way of predicting that.

That was my point. This is laughably inaccurate. In a hundred years time our own predictions will be even moreso. Who else is waiting for jetpacks and flying cars?

moniker on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2007
    Too bad computers of today aren't really fundamentally different from the crank machines. They both still compute, it's just that today we compute so much that we can process even more complex functions.

We may not be able to predict what the internals of a computer in the distant future will be made of, but the fact remains we do know what computers will be doing 100 years, even 1000 years down the line. To me that's the more interesting prospect of all this. And I suspect for many others as well.

By this logic, the printing press is no different than a quill pen.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »

By this logic, the printing press is no different than a quill pen.

Not quite. A typewriter would be the more accurate machine to fit this comparison.

moniker on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Industrial diamond production could be the next big thing for computer processors, as it cuts down on the amount of heat produced per chip.

I went to a science and technology seminar way back when I was in secondary school, and the main speaker talked about DNA computers - he claimed that the supercomputers of five years ago could fit into a DNA processor the size of a raindrop. Eh, could happen, but my money's still on diamond chips.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Rolly RizlaRolly Rizla __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Magic.

Our social and technological evolution over the last 100 years has been an explosion.

The next hundred years of social evolution, through a means of global interpersonal connection like the internet, the world will be a completely different place.

Rolly Rizla on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Our technological advances have more or less followed Moore's Law.

Also:
    450px-PPTMooresLawai.jpg

moniker on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Am I going to see a 1024 core CPU-GPU-PSU-PS2-APU-XPU-FU-U2 before I die?

Rolly Rizla on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Am I going to see a 1024 core CPU-GPU-PSU-PS2-APU-XPU-FU-U2 before I die?

No, there would probably be a different material being used that'll be gauged in a different manner. You don't have any number of vacuum tubes in your computer right now. Same might become true of silicon before too long.

moniker on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    He told my dad that roughly 100 years from now, computers will be as different as contemporary-computers are now compared to the old pull-crank adding machines. And they won't run on electricity. Due to confidentiality agreements, the friend could not tell my dad more.

If these technologies aren't going to come about until we're all long-dead, I wonder why there was a non-disclosure agreement. Is this think tank trying to pre-emptively patent these ideas for profit or something?

Hachface on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

That only goes back 100 years.

And modern computer technology would look like magic to anyone from early 1900s.

Rolly Rizla on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    not everyone. I'll bet Nik Tesla or Sam Clemens would be pretty down with our computers.
    edit: or chuck babbage
    or chuck dodgson

in short, the smart people would not be hugely surprised.

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited May 2007
    So my dad was telling me how he just talked to his friend who works in a think-tank at Los Alamos. His job is to come up with the concept ideas for inventions post-future. Kinda like the stuff that will be invented after we are all dead. He told my dad that roughly 100 years from now, computers will be as different as contemporary-computers are now compared to the old pull-crank adding machines. And they won't run on electricity. Due to confidentiality agreements, the friend could not tell my dad more.

I'm curious what kinda theories have been released--as to alternatives to electricity. What could we possibly use unstead of electricity? Any thoughts?
    Optics or quantum entanglement.

I'm curious what group or contractor your dad's friend works for. I grew up in Los Alamos and worked at the Lab for around four years.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007

And modern computer technology would look like magic to anyone from early 1900s.

Why do you assume people of the past are always some kind of dumbasses? They invented the shit we have today.

Prophetavius V on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Why do you assume people of the past are always some kind of dumbasses? They invented the shit we have today.

They're not dumbasses, but they did live under restrictions as to what can be accomplished because they lacked certain inventions.

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

They're not dumbasses, but they did live under restrictions as to what can be accomplished because they lacked certain inventions.

The same could be said of us. And just about anybody that has ever lived.

Prophetavius V on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

That's exactly the point. We don't know what the future will be like indefinitely!

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

That's exactly the point. We don't know what the future will be like indefinitely!

On a long enough time line, nobody knows shit. Not even you Thanatos.

Prophetavius V on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Well, yes, that's true. If I'm interpreting correctly, he just meant to say that the technological advances that will be made over 100 years of modern history are essentially impossible to imagine with any sort of accuracy, and maybe seem to be fantastic or impossible. As opposed to, say, meaning that they would cower in fear and try to voodoo it away.

Or, as Arthur C. Clark said it: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Tarantio wrote: »

Well, yes, that's true. If I'm interpreting correctly, he just meant to say that the technological advances that will be made over 100 years of modern history are essentially impossible to imagine with any sort of accuracy, and maybe seem to be fantastic or impossible. As opposed to, say, meaning that they would cower in fear and try to voodoo it away.

Or, as Arthur C. Clark said it: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

The problem with that quote is it has no reference point.

Prophetavius V on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Supposedly optical computers might be in the works, where they do calculations using light based "circuitry" instead of electricty. Still uses electricity, but the calculations aren't done as such. Quantum computers have different possibilities for the precise physical medium used, but there is still a lot of work needed to be done to make them remotely useful.

Other than that I don't know.

Savant on
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/776.html

There's a link to the quote, if that's what you meant by reference point.

If you meant some period of time Clark was talking about to compare to our conversation (or an alien encounter) I kinda feel like it's beside the point. As far as I can tell, nobody was specifically insulting people from the early 1900s, or any era of the past. I'd guess that the use of the word "magic" was largely due to the Clark quote, as it's fairly well known.

Sure, it's possible that people would assume a fantastically advanced technology, 100 years or more ahead of its time, to be nothing more than what it is. But there are most definitely lots of people from any time period who would assume it to be supernatural, and other who would assume it's fake.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Savant wrote: »

Supposedly optical computers might be in the works, where they do calculations using light based "circuitry" instead of electricty. Still uses electricity, but the calculations aren't done as such. Quantum computers have different possibilities for the precise physical medium used, but there is still a lot of work needed to be done to make them remotely useful.

Are you talking about the ones using lasers directed at a specific kind of plastic to discern data with the optical computer, or a wholly different kind of computer that I haven't heard about?

moniker on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are you talking about the ones using lasers directed at a specific kind of plastic to discern data with the optical computer, or a wholly different kind of computer that I haven't heard about?

Hopefully it's one based on hue and intensity as I've been predicting for a decade now.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Hopefully it's one based on hue and intensity as I've been predicting for a decade now.

But all colors fade with time and exposure which would corrupt your info. Of course, it'd be nice to finally understand what Pollock was going on about.

moniker on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »

But all colors fade with time and exposure which would corrupt your info. Of course, it'd be nice to finally understand what Pollock was going on about.

I was mostly envisioning it as a matter of data transfer. For storage, you'd have to find something that can be put in a variety of relatively stable states that can coexist next to each other.

Overall, I think we need to move past binary.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Savant wrote: »

I don't remember hearing anything about the specific mechanics of it, so I don't know. Something analogous to the difference between fiber optical cable and copper cable for transmissions is what I would guess. I've heard about some recent developments into optics but I wasn't enough of an engineering or physics buff to dig up the specifics.

Savant on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    He might have been talking about organic DNA-based computers, but I don't think those are really suitable for home use. However they are probably at the more feasible end of scifi computers compared to quantum computers and arteficial brains.

After having done a bit of reading about them, I'm not convinced that they're suitable for any kind of use, or ever will be.

jothki on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Light based computers are stumbling on the lack of an effective optical transistor. The ideal material would switch off a more intense beam of light when exposed to a less intense one. So far the best effort turns off 0.001% I'm led to understand.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think we will see more 'solid state' computing. where massive systems will simply be composed of hundred or thousands of devices similar in power to what we use today. I keep having this idea of thin metallic plates. Rectangular, maybe 1/16th of an inch thick, 10 inches long and six wide. Each one has a purpose, processing, audio, visual, holography, storage, etc, and you just stack them on top of each other to build what you want.

Need more processing? Just add on five more processing plates. More storage? Add a few more exobytes by slipping on a storage plate, etc. I think we'll see this idea come into place more and more where the frame work of the device is actually the computing system itself. So the sunroof in your smartcar is really the solid circuitry of your solar powered GPS navsat system. The weave in your shirt is the storage medium for your iPod. Contact lenses? Modern blackberry. White living room paint? Nano optic fibre compound for an HD surroundTheatre display.

We probably wont even notice that the price tags on our fruit allows them to be counted, and taken off as debit to our personal account when we leave the store. Or that the company tie pin prelights long hallways and acts as your keyring. Certain aspects to technology will become nearly invisible, and others will be far more glaring, just like it always has been. I'm just hoping that the brain vat is invented before I die. I would so volunteer for that.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Whatever would the motivation be to have a tie act as a key rather than, well, a key? Because I'm certainly not seeing price.

MrMister on
  • Options
    L*2*G*XL*2*G*X Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Spooky action at a distance baby, that's where the real cool kids are at.

But seriously?

Processing (that's what computing is, screw transistors and boolean logic) will take place outside our currently accessible reality.
    By studying how elementary particles 'know' what they are, we might be able to form our own particles.
    Using the same technology we might shape them into currently know 'states'.
    This opens the possibility of using particles, rather than our equipment, to form other particles.
    Which would compare to a transistor with 12 gates.
    The next step is to figure out how to play 'game of life' without converting the whole universe to one big computer.
    But if we get there we'll have processing power far beyond the puny trinary qubits of today.

L*2*G*X on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    L*2*G*X wrote: »
    Spooky action at a distance baby, that's where the real cool kids are at.

But seriously?

Processing (that's what computing is, screw transistors and boolean logic) will take place outside our currently accessible reality.
    By studying how elementary particles 'know' what they are, we might be able to form our own particles.
    Using the same technology we might shape them into currently know 'states'.
    This opens the possibility of using particles, rather than our equipment, to form other particles.
    Which would compare to a transistor with 12 gates.
    The next step is to figure out how to play 'game of life' without converting the whole universe to one big computer.
    But if we get there we'll have processing power far beyond the puny trinary qubits of today.
    Transistors don't have gates, qubits aren't trinary.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man, I'm not sure if this whole "we can just invent new elementary particles" thing fully agrees with the Standard Model. Or, well, anything.

Not that a supermagiconotron that breaks the first law and, like, spontaneously creates energy from nothing or something wouldn't be kind of neat, of course.

EDIT: With the trinary qubit thing, he probably got confused when reading one of those things that say "bits are on or off, but qubits are on, off or a superposition of both"

The superposition isn't a third state though, just a... superposition of the other two

Agem on