Options

[Mueller Investigation] Trump/Russian 2016 election interference et al

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    How many witches is that now?

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Interestingly, Patten was referred to DC from SCO, who then bound him to cooperate with the SCO.

It's like legal Muellti-threading

...Parallel prosecuting?

I give up. It's seems like a good idea, and I'm glad they're doing it.
    Patten was charged by the US attorney’s office for the District of Columbia. But Mueller’s team referred the investigation there and Patten’s plea agreement specifically says he must cooperate with the special counsel’s office. Andrew Weissmann, an attorney on Mueller’s team, attended Patten’s hearing Friday.

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/31/17805310/sam-patten-mueller-plea-manafort

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    What Nunes did is mind boggling to me. I can only imagine some random member of parliament showing up on my doorstep asking for confidential information about a retired intel worker.

"Hello would you be so kind as to provide private information to me, a member of a foreign government? I could really use it."

"Oh, sure, I'll go ahead and throw my career away and face jail time for your benefit, foreign stranger. No problem."

*mashes phone number for counterintelligence*

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    What Nunes did is mind boggling to me. I can only imagine some random member of parliament showing up on my doorstep asking for confidential information about a retired intel worker.

"Hello would you be so kind as to provide private information to me, a member of a foreign government? I could really use it."

"Oh, sure, I'll go ahead and throw my career away and face jail time for your benefit, foreign stranger. No problem."

*mashes phone number for counterintelligence*

He probably figured it would be like his experience with the Russians.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Could just be a grift for a free trip on the govt dime.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Seal wrote: »

One, two, three, many, lots.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Phasen wrote: »
    Could just be a grift for a free trip on the govt dime.

Only if we ignore his other shenanigans such as multiple instances of requesting confidential information concerning ongoing investigations, going as far as to threaten contempt of Congress/impeachment, and then not even reading the shit when he finally gets it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Seal wrote: »

one, two, three, many, many-one, many-two, many-three, many many, many-many-one, many-many-two, many-many-three, many many many, many-many-many-one, many-many-many-two, many-many-three, LOTS..

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    CNN right now: Giuliani to release a rebuttal to the Mueller investigation.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Mueller hasn't even released any final reports to rebut?

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Says who?

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

WHAT ARE YOU REBUTTING ?!

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

He isn't rebutting the investigatory report. I think he's rebutting Mueller's existence. That him investigating the President and successfully convicting co-conspirators is just a mass delusion. Like the existence of Big Foot or Idaho.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Guessing it's in response to the Patten stuff above, because they know he was a funnel for money.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/mueller-makes-major-connection-tying-secret-ukrainian-money-to-trump-inauguration/
    Earlier Friday, Law&Crime noted that Patten, an associate of Paul Manafort and Rick Gates in the lobbying world, had ties to suspected Russian intelligence agent Konstantin Kilimnik. Patten was charged for acting as an unregistered foreign agent for Russia and Ukraine between 2014 and 2017. It happened after Mueller referred the investigation to the D.C. U.S. Attorney’s Office and the Department of Justice National Security Division.

Kilimnik, you may recall, was slapped with lobbying violations in June, as Mueller brought witness tampering and conspiracy charges against Manafort in a superseding indictment. Kilimnik’s ties to Patten go back two decades.

CNN’s Shimon Prokupecz is now reporting that prosecutors are alleging that Patten sought tickets to Trump’s inauguration as president of the United States “on behalf of a prominent Ukrainian oligarch” and acted as a “straw purchaser” to do so. Prosecutors say Ukrainian money was secretly funneled to the inauguration committee “through a Cypriot bank account.”

Why does this matter? It had already been reported as far back as April that Mueller was investigating whether “wealthy Russians illegally funneled cash donations directly or indirectly into Donald Trump’s presidential campaign and inauguration.”

Sources said at the time claimed that Mueller had a theory that “straw donors” (particularly Americans) acted as “a vessel through which they could pump money into the campaign and inauguration fund.”

D.C. prosecutors are saying that this is exactly what happened in the case of Patten. In fact, they said he admitted it.

The latest news is that Patten has waived a trial by jury. The reason why is that he’s reached a plea agreement to cooperate with both Team Mueller’s investigation and D.C. prosecutors.

A bit more at the link (documents), etc).

Not super familiar with Law and Crime, but it advertises itself as being a Dan Abrams website, and Dan Abrams is "the chief legal affairs anchor for ABC News."

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    yeah this sounds like a regular giuliani appearance; he will go on tv and loudly shout NO COLLUSION while sticking his fingers in his ears

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I don’t even care what he has to say anymore, it’ll just be lies or excuses

I’ve got better things to do with my time than listen to a hack be a hack

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I am curious about the 39% of people in that survey who think Cohen told the truth about Trump breaking the law, but don't think Trump broke the law.

I'm assuming you and Bum are talking about this poll? https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/poll-60-percent-disapprove-of-trump-while-clear-majorities-back-mueller-and-sessions/2018/08/30/4cd32174-ac7c-11e8-a8d7-0f63ab8b1370_story.html?utm_term=.12313d264905

I don't see anything in that poll that says or implies that 39% of people think Cohen told the truth but don't think Trump broke the law. Are you referencing this poll or did I read something wrong?

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Not only will guiliani lie, he wont even stick to the same lie tomorrow. They're not even useful for revealing what trumps team is worried about or their strategy. Just whatever he happens to think sounds good in the moment.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Interestingly, Patten was referred to DC from SCO, who then bound him to cooperate with the SCO.

It's like legal Muellti-threading

...Parallel prosecuting?

I give up. It's seems like a good idea, and I'm glad they're doing it.
    Patten was charged by the US attorney’s office for the District of Columbia. But Mueller’s team referred the investigation there and Patten’s plea agreement specifically says he must cooperate with the special counsel’s office. Andrew Weissmann, an attorney on Mueller’s team, attended Patten’s hearing Friday.

https://www.vox.com/2018/8/31/17805310/sam-patten-mueller-plea-manafort

I was going to say a Beowulf cluster earlier but seemed too niche

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Not only will guiliani lie, he wont even stick to the same lie tomorrow. They're not even useful for revealing what trumps team is worried about or their strategy. Just whatever he happens to think sounds good in the moment.

Guliani will have to issue a rebuttal for his rebuttal. Just like every other statement he makes.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

That literally is the Trump strategy.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2018
    Bookmarked a while back when I was listening to Slow Burn, this hour long press conference by Watergate special prosecutor Archibald Cox, before he was fired, on the subject of the subpoena of the Nixon tapes and the Nixon’s proposed compromise of providing transcripts verified by a third party. Finally watched it last night, and it is fascinating and worth your time.

Edit: for a personal favorite of mine, hit 41:00.

https://youtu.be/cxfwE-ADebM

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    it is friday

Every day is Friday now.

https://apnews.com/amp/4ac772445073491aa7d3ca9e558e0144
    WASHINGTON (AP) — A senior Justice Department lawyer says a former British spy told him at a breakfast meeting two years ago that Russian intelligence believed it had Donald Trump "over a barrel," according to multiple people familiar with the encounter.

The lawyer, Bruce Ohr, also says he learned that a Trump campaign aide had met with higher-level Russian officials than the aide had acknowledged, the people said.

The previously unreported details of the July 30, 2016, breakfast with Christopher Steele, which Ohr described to lawmakers this week in a private interview, reveal an exchange of potentially explosive information about Trump between two men the president has relentlessly sought to discredit.

Does anyone know of any credible news outlet or something that has, or is, actively tracking the Steele report (I hate the word dossier) vs what has been shown to be at least pretty confidently accurate?

I know either wapo or wsj (I always get them mixed up) in the past had a relatively frequently updated "how does everyone connect to everyone else in this investigation stuff" thing.

But I'm curious about the Steele thing. Trumps people, which includes apparently most of the GOP at this point, continually claim that it is completely fabricated and all lies; but I seem to recall when it was made public last year, even at the time a good chunk of it was pretty verifiable, with other stuff being related to things that happened, but no public evidence of connections (like the 19b oil corp sale thing) to Trump at that point. And a whole mess of Russian agent related stuff that was functionally a laundry list of people who had either "died" or had been removed from their positions since.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    The problem is that 99% of the dossier could be proven true, but so long as the piss story is unproven, they'll be able to use it to discredit the whole thing. It's become synonymous with the dossier, and not on accident either.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    The problem is that 99% of the disorder could be proven true, but so long as the piss story is unproven, they'll be able to use it to discredit the whole thing. Its become synonymous with the dossier, and not on accident either.

Sure, but currently I'm not terribly concerned with the media narrative (EDIT: to be clear, I mean the narrative of the people who want to dismiss it and know that their followers will accept that and not look into it any more; I.E. Trump) of the dossier; I simply want to know the facts for my own information.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The problem is that 99% of the disorder could be proven true, but so long as the piss story is unproven, they'll be able to use it to discredit the whole thing. Its become synonymous with the dossier, and not on accident either.

They'll discredit it even if the piss thing is on tape and Trump is front and centre. This isn't about facts with his base, or the Republicans who think Trump will help their agenda.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Jesus Christ

I'm refreshing myself on the major points of the dossier and yeah...A lot of that is known to be accurate or at least the substance is in line with almost everything else that is been discovered/leaked over the past year.

But what stuck out to me was the Cohen in Prague thing.

That I had completely forgotten about it. In fact, it is bizarre how many things have just slipped by in the neverending circus of the Trump-era "news cycle". Major things immediately moved on and forgotten, because fifteen minutes later something else major happens.

I don't think Mueller forgets though.

I can't help but wonder if part of what got Cohen to plead guilty (and presumably, as some prior DA's have said, while he hasn't "flipped", it seems he has set the stage for negotiations to flip to begin; or that he already has really, but for various reasons has presented his plea as not part of any bargin or agreement) is the FBI said "hey, there's a lot of shit going on, but unrelated to anything, why don't you take a look at this picture of you in Prague in August of 2016?"

EDIT: I had also totally forgotten that it was Cohen that had filed a lawsuit against Buzzfeed (on behalf of Trump I believe?) when they released the dossier.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    So, wait; fuck

This guy Patten had been receiving money from an "unnamed" Ukrainian oligarch for the Trump Inauguration Money Laundering Committee. The news that broke this evening.

Patten and Manafort had both worked with Ukrainians in the past; both of them have now been shown to have been foreign agents in this regard (both also didn't disclose it, though thus far it looks like Patten only has one charge against him)

The Dossier claims that ex-Ukrainian president and "Ukrainian oligarch" Yanukovych had been funneling money to Manafort while he was campaign manager in "untraceable" means.

I mean, I could hand this "puzzle" to my 6yr-old and he'd have it figured out in seconds.

The connections are pretty blindingly obvious, but I guess I have to give props to (at least what I've read) news outlets for having the restraint to not directly claim connections; just "subtly" mentioning in the articles that, hey, manafort worked with the same people this guy did and wouldn't you know it, was just found guilty of 8 charges related to these things!

But the connections are also such that, without fail, the Trump sycophants will be all over news shows this weekend claiming this has nothing to do with Trump.

And it might not!

If it doesn't, it will mean that Trump is literally the most oblivious and incompetent person to have achieved the level of success he has; which is saying a lot!

I'm seeing 3 options here. Trump knew and participated. Trump knew but just let it happen for no apparent reason. Trump had no idea and he's criminally stupid.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The problem is that 99% of the dossier could be proven true, but so long as the piss story is unproven, they'll be able to use it to discredit the whole thing. It's become synonymous with the dossier, and not on accident either.

I think we're already down to knowing that there were prostitutes intended for Trump in the hotel at the time?

• Options
    jothki wrote: »

I think we're already down to knowing that there were prostitutes intended for Trump in the hotel at the time?

Trump's bodyguard said there were some prostitutes at the hotel that were rejected but Trump denied anything like that happening.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

Trump's bodyguard said there were some prostitutes at the hotel that were rejected but Trump denied anything like that happening.

Well that settles things!

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    When did they actually bring Patten in? I thought I read March or May but now I can't find it.

Artemenko is the Pro-Russian Ukranian MP (subsequently ejected) who supposedly came to DC to pitch a peace plan to Cohen shortly after the inauguration.

He got hauled in front of the grand jury May 14 and again June 8, I'm curious if Artemenko was the next link in the chain after Patten.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Again, it is a day ending in -y. A sentencing memo by Papadopoulos's defense is out and I still really need to look up how to pronounce his name.

http://www.startribune.com/papadopoulos-trump-nodded-at-suggestion-of-putin-meeting/492239821/
    The 16-page defense memo paints Papadopoulos as an eager-to-please campaign aide who was in over his head and aims to counter the prosecution's narrative that Papadopoulos's deception irreparably damaged the investigation.

The defense lawyers say Papadopoulos was hired by the campaign in March 2016 despite having no experience with Russian or U.S. diplomacy. That month, he traveled to Italy and connected with a London-based professor who introduced him to a woman described as a Putin relative. That professor, Joseph Mifsud, would later tell him that individuals in Moscow possessed "dirt" on Clinton.

"Eager to show his value to the campaign," defense lawyers say, Papadopoulos suggested during a meeting with Trump and his foreign policy advisers that same month he could leverage his newfound Russian connections to arrange a meeting between Trump and Putin.

"While some in the room rebuffed George's offer, Mr. Trump nodded with approval and deferred to Mr. Sessions who appeared to like the idea and stated that the campaign should look into it," defense lawyers wrote.
    Defense lawyers acknowledge that Papadopoulos "lied, minimized, and omitted material facts" to the FBI about his foreign contacts, saying, "Out of loyalty to the new president and his desire to be part of the administration, he hoisted himself upon his own petard."
    The "he is just a stupid moron" argument works pretty well given everything Papadopoulos has done since he came into the public eye.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Again, it is a day ending in -y. A sentencing memo by Papadopoulos's defense is out and I still really need to look up how to pronounce his name.

http://www.startribune.com/papadopoulos-trump-nodded-at-suggestion-of-putin-meeting/492239821/
    The 16-page defense memo paints Papadopoulos as an eager-to-please campaign aide who was in over his head and aims to counter the prosecution's narrative that Papadopoulos's deception irreparably damaged the investigation.

The defense lawyers say Papadopoulos was hired by the campaign in March 2016 despite having no experience with Russian or U.S. diplomacy. That month, he traveled to Italy and connected with a London-based professor who introduced him to a woman described as a Putin relative. That professor, Joseph Mifsud, would later tell him that individuals in Moscow possessed "dirt" on Clinton.

"Eager to show his value to the campaign," defense lawyers say, Papadopoulos suggested during a meeting with Trump and his foreign policy advisers that same month he could leverage his newfound Russian connections to arrange a meeting between Trump and Putin.

"While some in the room rebuffed George's offer, Mr. Trump nodded with approval and deferred to Mr. Sessions who appeared to like the idea and stated that the campaign should look into it," defense lawyers wrote.
    The "he is just a stupid moron" argument works pretty well given everything Papadopoulos has done since he came into the public eye.

That is one enthusiastic coffee boy.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    -

Defense lawyers acknowledge that Papadopoulos "lied, minimized, and omitted material facts" to the FBI about his foreign contacts, saying, "Out of loyalty to the new president and his desire to be part of the administration, he hoisted himself upon his own petard."

A link to Sessions you say.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    -

A link to Sessions you say.

That's the part of the text that leapt out to me, too.

Edit: Not that I'm terribly surprised by the revelation. Now, if Papadopoulos had said there was someone on the Trump team who explicitly wasn't in bed with the Russians, that would have surprised me.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

Papa dop oh luss

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Papa dop oh luss

It helps me to imagine Captain Murphy from Sealab saying it

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    It sounds a bit thin, probably not enough to get Sessions on perjury. But it might make a good excuse to fire him.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Lets fire the guy who once said a nice thing about Russia so we can end the investigation of Russian crimes, American accomplices, and a Manchurian President.

Sounds about right.

This discussion has been closed.