As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes of the Storm 2.0] my memes have transcended dreams

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    If you personally kill everyone on the enemy team your team will refuse to push and just wander around doing map things because one of the enemies will respawn in 40 seconds, it's not safe to push.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm an old man. My APM ain't what it used to be. There's a reason I don't play competitive StarCraft anymore.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I'm an old man. My APM ain't what it used to be. There's a reason I don't play competitive StarCraft anymore.

Trust me, my APM in shit like Starcraft was never there. I don't actually like playing multiplayer starcraft. Too stressful and too brutal on me and just no fun.

But I was grinding up TLV during a bonus XP week because getting everyone to 10 (now 15) was the plan. And I'm like, ugh, this is painful. And my hands are fucking sweating. And then I look at my record and I'm on like a fucking 10 game winstreak because TLV (at least then) were kinda quietly broken in how good they were at just generating big advantage for your team. And even my lack of micro can't stop that too much.

Not sure how they perform these days though.

I did have some fun times though. Sending like 2 to the objective to harass while a 3rd runs across the map, caps a mercenary camp and almost destroys a keep and then doing Play It Again and ambushing the guy they send to stop you can be pretty fun. You feel pretty badass.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    shryke wrote: »
    I'm still a big proponent of just killing the other team over and over again to get out of Silver/Gold instead of worrying about the draft or macro.

But how?

Play a bunch of StarCraft then come back and play Greymane and tear them apart with your far superior micro.

Play a bunch of Starcraft then come back and play The Lost Vikings and tear them apart with your far superior micro and macro.

Play a bunch of Starcraft

shryke wrote: »

Trust me, my APM in shit like Starcraft was never there. I don't actually like playing multiplayer starcraft. Too stressful and too brutal on me and just no fun.

But I was grinding up TLV during a bonus XP week because getting everyone to 10 (now 15) was the plan. And I'm like, ugh, this is painful. And my hands are fucking sweating. And then I look at my record and I'm on like a fucking 10 game winstreak because TLV (at least then) were kinda quietly broken in how good they were at just generating big advantage for your team. And even my lack of micro can't stop that too much.

Not sure how they perform these days though.

I did have some fun times though. Sending like 2 to the objective to harass while a 3rd runs across the map, caps a mercenary camp and almost destroys a keep and then doing Play It Again and ambushing the guy they send to stop you can be pretty fun. You feel pretty badass.

TLV used to be very OP if you could play them decently, yeah. You could seriously carry a team with a 70+% winrate. They aren't quite as good anymore, though :(

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have been playing starcraft but I ashamed to admit I totally forgot how to play the zerg

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    TLV used to also be able to oneshot squishies if they got near one with the aoe attack, and they also had an immunity button so it was pretty easy to get near anyone.

Also longboat raid was crazy damage. like a super strafe you could cast flamestrike out of, so they were secretly teamfight gods.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, I sometimes wonder if I'd climb faster in HL if I played more carries.

Focusing on playing support (because no one else will) sometimes feels like you're leaving your fate up to a roll of the dice in Silver to whether you get competent players on your team or not. At least if you're carrying, you know there'll be at least one.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    People are saying that Whitemane will be a Discipline Priest?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i said i thought that might be a possibility on the last page, but i don't believe any part of her kit has been shown yet

that said, it'll be shown in less than 24 hours, so we need just sip our milk and wait

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    People are saying that Whitemane will be a Discipline Priest?

Current-gen Disc Priests deal damage to heal through a passive called Atonement. The way it specifically works is that Power Word: Shield, Power Word: Radiance and Shadowmend all apply Atonement on your targets for 15 seconds, and then spell damage you deal heals all targets affected by Atonement for 60% of the damage you dealt. It's legitimately good and fun, and it feels like a nice balance between Holy (straight healing) and Shadow (straight damage). I can definitely see Whitemane having access to any or all of the WoW Priest specs.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Maybe Whitemane will get Tassadar's kit and then Tassadar will be reworked into a mage.

• Options
    Maybe Whitemane will get Tassadar's kit and then Tassadar will be reworked into a mage.

pls to not launch dead characters

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Tassadar is good though

• Options
    literally every statistic says no he is not outside of hgc/extremely high coordination play.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Oh well statistics

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Oh well statistics

I mean if you want anecdotes I haven't been happy about having a Tass on my team in roughly two years

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Knight_ wrote: »
    literally every statistic says no he is not outside of hgc/extremely high coordination play.

He enables carries, so he obviously gains more value as the skill of your carries increase. You can argue that he's not worth picking until you're matched up with allies who can glean maximum value from his kit, but even then, you wouldn't really be arguing that Tassadar was bad so much as you'd be saying your teammates are bad.

I mean, objectively, he's picked or banned in over half of all pro matches with like a 54% win rate there, so he obviously isn't bad. In fact, the data would seem to indicate he's actually very good.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »

He enables carries, so he obviously gains more value as the skill of your carries increase. You can argue that he's not worth picking until you're matched up with allies who can glean maximum value from his kit, but even then, you wouldn't really be arguing that Tassadar was bad so much as you'd be saying your teammates are bad.

I mean, objectively, he's picked or banned in over half of all pro matches with like a 54% win rate there, so he obviously isn't bad. In fact, the data would seem to indicate he's actually very good.

That's not objective, that's the subjective view of someone only paying attention to pro-level play rather than the game at large

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    The argument is that Tass is bad.

He very clearly isn't.

You can quote the win rate data from Hotslogs all day, but Medivh and Hanzo also have bottom-of-the-barrell win rates and they're Omega-level God-tier heroes in the right hands, so I don't know how much stock you can really invest in everything you read there. The data from high-level play clearly indicates that Tassadar is not a dead hero; there's honestly just no possible way to refute that fact and I'm amazed we so often have to have this discussion.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    I'm amazed that you keep maintaining what happens at high level play has any bearing on 90% of the people playing the game.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Yes if you match into a gm game with krohen pick Tass.

If you’re playing at plat/diamond or worse, run like hell.

I think it’s obvious that when I say Tass is bad, I mean at this level Tass is bad. Ktz is a fucking blight at this level but he’s beyond useless in hgc. Does that mean he suddenly isn’t a blight? Of course not. HGC performance is interesting to see theoretical performance limits of a hero in a coordinated environment, but it’s not super relevant to how I play the game.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Nevermind, I'm out.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    It's also worth noting that "dead" is probably closer to "nobody plays them" than "they're ""objectively"" bad", and I'd be genuinely surprised if Tass' pickrate across the game puts him out of the bottom 15.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    the only heroes lower than tass in hl in popularity are chogall, which lol solo queue, probe, tlv, chen, and rexxar.

and tassadar is 10% winrate lower than all of them.

hanzo and tassadar
    p59RADV.jpg

saying "but, what if thousands of games are wrong" isn't really useful. statistically, these heroes are very bad outside of the very best players playing them. as i am not one of those players, i refer to tassadar as a dead hero.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Going in to bang out some silver HL games, in case anyone's bored and wants to hang out.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    i said i thought that might be a possibility on the last page, but i don't believe any part of her kit has been shown yet

that said, it'll be shown in less than 24 hours, so we need just sip our milk and wait

I'M LACTOSE INTOLERANT

I CAN'T

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    I never played a lot of Azmo, but played against him quite a bit. It was never fun at all, either in QM or HL, do go against him. All he did was split push all game and occasionally sacrifice himself to drop his Ult on a Keep while perma-lasering it. Never felt good. Maybe it was fun for the Azmo player or something.

Not to shit all over Azmo though. You can get the same experience with Zag, Murky, and Gaz.

Old Azmodan had laser/demon army build that was degenerate as fuck and needed to be killed with fire, yeah.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    the only heroes lower than tass in hl in popularity are chogall, which lol solo queue, probe, tlv, chen, and rexxar.

hanzo and tassadar
    p59RADV.jpg

saying "but, what if thousands of games are wrong" isn't really useful. statistically, these heroes are very bad outside of the very best players playing them. as i am not one of those players, i refer to tassadar as a dead hero.

It would be more accurate to say Tassadar is in a really bad place because he's super binary. He's either "burn it with fire, don't get it near me, too good" in very high level play or "burn it with fire, don't get it near me, so shit" at like every other level.

The basic issue being that what he does well is enable hypercarries and he does that super well and outside that he's just not good at all I think. So you've either got a hypercarry or you don't. And the majority of games don't.

Bad design basically.

shryke on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

That's not objective, that's the subjective view of someone only paying attention to pro-level play rather than the game at large

I agree with your premise, but you can’t just change the meaning of words like this :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime wrote: »

I agree with your premise, but you can’t just change the meaning of words like this :P

I can and I will.

Also the word "objective" has already lost all meaning in online discourse.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I'm gonna stream some Silver League HL matches as well! Silver unite!

Edit: OK, real life stepped in. Going to retry again. Jump on in!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Step one: let's play a qm. Click button
    Step two: my stomach is rumbling, i wonder if i should cancel the searc... Too late for that we are in a game loading screen
    Step three: Interesting match up clown fiesta style i wonder who.. rumble rumble rumble oh oh.
    Step four: we got two kills to their one in the opening stupidity in the middle and people are spreading out to soak, annnnnd I'm alt f4ing the game and running to the bathroom.

Good luck to my team, I'll be here for a while.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The best way for me to help break a @finnith losing streak is to play Medivh in QM.

• Options
    I highly recommend you do not watch my VODs from tonight. Unless you like watching awful play followed by me trying to balance a 12-week old on my lap while main Tanking Diablo. It...isn't pretty.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Yeah, that one game where I got in there was rough. (I was playing the Azmodan.)

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Lady Whitemane: Sex Nun of the Scarlet Crusade.

Like... wow did they oversexualize her in the image I saw on the Blizzard launcher last night. She's like a dominatrix sitting there in that throne.

• Options
    NyhtNyht Registered User regular

hanzo and tassadar
    p59RADV.jpg

I'm obviously in the same boat as I have no way to really utilize Tassadar (whether as the hero OR as the carry?). And a lot of people are in that same boat who try and work with him (or then decide not to).

That being said, I get what Ducks is getting at. Like, 40% WR is bad. But it's also not 0. It's above 30. He's obviously a niche hero and only fits into some setups but I have to agree he obviously still has some fits or he wouldn't even be as high as he is. And yes, obviously 40% is bad (I looked over the past 4 weeks at Master/Diamond/Plat for a wider range and it's 43% but still close). Obviously it's still hard to weigh these games as it's still a small pick percentage but again, even 40% means SOMETHING is working. Of course it could be the team carrying the pick, sure.

But if you look over the last 4 weeks, look at even the Master, Diamond, Plat league for the wider range, his highest WR hero to fight against? Kel'thuzad. At 65% WR against that anti fun ball. Even if you take into account bad KTZs, that's still a lot. Between some extra shields for anyone chained, the ability to NOPE out of being chained himself once every 30 seconds, or the ability to enable a diver (Tracer/Valla/whatever) to go after him, I get it.

Really I think you both are discussing past one another and that you're both right. He's garbage tier for you because nothing you play/the teams you're with can't help Tassadar do work. And Ducks is right that aside from HGC, he's obviously not garbage or his WR would be even lower than it is for non hgc levels of play and that it takes the right comp/players to make him work which does explain being 40% over something higher. I also think Tassadar comps probably take some time to iron out and get the feel for (both Tass and his carry working together to get on the same page). It's got to be frustrating to get to that level of unison, however, as you're eating losses as you're practicing.

Just my hot take on it, anyway.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    for something completely different: i have a long road trip in the very near future. it has been literally years since i have listened to any heroes related podcasts just for lack of interest. however given the length of this trip i am stockpiling audiobooks, podcasts, and music. anyone have good ones and can give a brief synopsis of their usual topics (focus on the pro scene, hypothetical hero concepts, meta discussions, or whatever). my wife will get sick of it, but if she is gonna make me drive i'm not listening to fucking harry potter for the ten trillionth time.

• Options
    gigawatt666gigawatt666 Registered User regular
    You could try 'Townhall Heroes' A podcast group made up of some HotS streamers and casters, some times features James 'Bakery' Baker the former Dignitas player. They discuss the current meta, balance changers reworks, the HGC etc.

BattleNet i.d. : gigawatt666#11111
    Ps4 : Gigawatt666
    Steam I.D. : Gigawatt666
    LoL : GiG4W4TT
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    You could try 'Townhall Heroes' A podcast group made up of some HotS streamers and casters, some times features James 'Bakery' Baker the former Dignitas player. They discuss the current meta, balance changers reworks, the HGC etc.

that's one of the ones i used to be aware of so good to know they still exist. i forget the name of the one from the angry chicken team but that was the other one i used to listen to years ago.