As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Aretha Franklin has passed away

Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
She was in hospice and surrounded by family for the last few days so we kind of knew it was coming.

Aretha Franklin has one of, if not the, greatest singing voices I've ever heard.

Let's talk about Motown music and soul in her honor.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    While it was expected, it doesn't hurt any less. She was, by all accounts, an amazing woman.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    This really sucks.

Thinking about, she probably has the best singing voice of anyone I've ever heard. She is the standard against which others have been and will be measured.

She put so much emotion into her songs. When you listened to her music, it was like she was there with you, baring her soul to you. The Queen of Soul, indeed.

E: Also, duet with another great artist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSPidSahu0A

silence1186 on
  • Options
    She hand selected Jennifer Hudson to sing at her Tribute concert.

Its a great choice. Jennifer Hudson is one of the few people who can do Aretha justice.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    man

Not unexpected and not terribly untimely, but still a huge blow. Literally a legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6YCxXQ6Scw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PZHIT42gUM

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Originally, the 1998 Grammys was to have Luciano Pavarotti perform Nessun Dorma - but at the last moment, he was forced to cancel because of illness. Show producer Ken Ehrlich was forced to try to find some way to rework the show, until he realized that Franklin, who was performing another number in the performance, had recently performed the same song at another event a few days prior. So, after a quick request, we wound up with this:

https://youtu.be/MjTXRo-rxGA

If you're interested, here's Ehrlich on the whole event:
    "OK, if that's what you want."

Those words, spoken very quietly by Aretha Franklin in a cramped, hot, fourth-floor dressing room at Radio City Music Hall, on the night of the 40th Annual Grammy Awards, are the closest I can come to answering the question that I am most frequently asked -- "What was the most tense moment in your career as a television producer?"

This is a tale of terror, unpredicatability, and ultimately, the truly amazing grace of a woman whose anthem song "Respect" took on a new and eternal meaning for me as a result of this one day in Grammy history.

Here's the situation: that afternoon at the dress rehearsal for the show, a tired but seemingly cooperative Luciano Pavarotti had worked his way through "Nessun Dorma," the operatic aria that we had all hoped would be the high point of a Grammy show that also contained performances by an amazing number of superstars, including Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, Will Smith and Stevie Wonder.

But now it was showtime, and Pavarotti hadn't returned from his Central Park West apartment. He was scheduled somewhere in the middle of our three-hour show, so although my unwritten rule is that all talent is in the house before we go on the air, I wasn't overly concerned. There were plenty of other things to worry about.

We were about an hour into the show when my assistant Ron Basile rushed up to me offstage with a hastily scrawled number for Pavarotti at home. I found a quiet phone deep in the depths of Radio City, took a breath, and made the call.

You know what's coming.

"Ken, I'm sick. I can't come and sing. I will sing for you next year, but what will you do now?"

"First, Luciano, I will get off the phone and try to figure out how to fill four-and-a-half minutes of the Grammy Awards when we're already a half-hour into it."

Said with less harshness than the words indicate in print, it was still a critical situation that needed to be dealt with -- and fast. And I might add, in my 20-plus years of doing live television, though we had faced artists dropping in and out of shows prior to their airing, this was the first time I had ever faced an act canceling after the show was already on the air.

My first thoughts were random. You don't work with people for 20 years without creating some long-term relationships in the business -- and the Music Hall was filled with many of those folks that night. Should I go to Sting (who was introducing Pavarotti, but not performing that night) and ask him to perform? Among the performances still left in the show was one by Fleetwood Mac, and I thought about going to Lindsey Buckingham and asking him to extend their medley, which I had already trimmed to a tight five-and-a-half minutes. But how could I go to them after we had delicately negotiated them down from nine minutes in the beginning? Or should I think about going to Stevie, my old friend and someone who was always ready with something and ask him to do a second performance, in addition to his duet with Babyface?

One thing was certain, however. Though Kelsey Grammar was hosting the show, his strengths as an actor did not include ad-libbing -- and I couldn't put him in the position of "stretching" for up to five minutes without material.

And then it struck me. Three days earlier Aretha (with whom I've worked for nearly 20 years) had sung the aria "Nessun Dorma" at the Musicares benefit dinner ... in another key, with another arrangement, without a full orchestra. She had told me numerous times over the years we've worked together that she always wanted to sing opera, but to ask her to sing it in front of millions ...

She was scheduled to perform about 30 minutes from the present moment in a brief, but fun Blues Brothers medley with Dan Aykroyd and John Goodman, doing "Respect" as only she could.

I called for my long-time friend and coordinating producer Tisha Fein and Phil Ramone, who had produced the Musicares event, and we raced up the four flights of stairs. We had about fifty minutes before we got to the highly anticipated Pavarotti performance (the nonperformance). When I got to Aretha's small, overheated dressing room, complete with vaporizer and hangers-on, she was fanning herself, quietly waiting to go on. And then we hit her with this lightning bolt of a statement.

"Aretha, we have a problem. I know it's short notice, but how would you like to sing twice tonight? Go out there and do 'Respect' and then 20 minutes later, supported by a 65-piece orchestra and a 20-voice chorus, do 'Nessun Dorma'?"

And that's when she uttered those words. I knew she would, even before I had taken the first steps up the heart-attack stairway in the bowels of Radio City Music Hall. I will always love the Queen of Soul.

And though to many people, that was the Night of Soybomb disrupting Bob Dylan's triumphant Grammy performance, and Ol' Dirty Bastard storming the stage to interrupt Shawn Colvin's well-deserved acceptance speech, for me the 40th Annual Grammy Awards will always be the Night Aretha Franklin Saved the Grammys -- and not incidentally, my professional life.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    I had no idea what to expect, that was remarkable.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vet6AHmq3_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cF0tf35Mbo

Both of these I saw for the first time on the day it was announced she was "gravely ill" (yes I've never seen the whole Blues Brothers movie, sorry) and they're both incredible performances, 30 years apart.

Goose! on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I know Blues Brothers 2000 is.. not a great movie, but her rendition of Respect in it is amazing too.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I talked about this a bit in a couple other threads, but Aretha's music was something I grew up listening to with my mom, so this is hitting me harder than any other famous passing to date.

So funny thing about Aretha's success, it was anything but overnight. Despite recording her first album at age 14, a collection of gospel songs she sung in her father's church, it wasn't until her eleventh studio album that she finally hit it big.

After that first album, she signed a record deal with Columbia Records at 18 years old. Over the next six years, she recorded and released nine albums for Columbia, but throughout that whole time they never really knew what to do with her - was she a jazz singer or a pop singer or something else? As a result, the albums were kind of all over the place, but mostly just versions of pop and jazz standards. She had one song barely crack the top 40, but that was it, and after six years, Columbia chose not to offer her a new contract.

Enter Atlantic Records, and Jerry Wexler, who had produced acts such as Ray Charles, and Wilson Pickett. He immediately signed Aretha to a recording contract, and set her up with Rick Hall and the FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. Their first single, I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You) was Aretha's biggest hit to date, hitting number one on the R&B charts, and number nine on the Billboard Top 40. This success sent them back into the studio immediately to start working on a follow-up single, which would also be the lead track on her next album.

That single was a cover of an Otis Redding hit, with a new arrangement written by Aretha herself. With it, she took a song that had been a man's desperate plea for his woman to treat him right, to a confident woman's demand for, well, respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOUqQt3Kg0

It did pretty well. Respect has become so ubiquitous that it's easy to take it for granted, but this was the Queen of Soul finally arriving and claiming her throne. Another R&B #1, and #2 on the pop charts, it also won Aretha her first Grammy for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance, the first ever award in that category.

All of this within a year of Columbia deciding not to renew her contract.

Also she won the award the next seven years after that.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »

Both of these I saw for the first time on the day it was announced she was "gravely ill" (yes I've never seen the whole Blues Brothers movie, sorry) and they're both incredible performances, 30 years apart.

watch blues brothers

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Two more songs/videos and then I need to get back to work.

First we have my all-time favourite song. Not just my favourite Aretha song but my favourite song by any artist, ever. Specifically this version too, because she somehow managed to make it groove even harder than the album version. I mean, she is directly at odds with the Blues Brothers in this scene but even they can't help but dance in the face of the Queen doing her thing.

Finally (for now) some emotions. When Carole King being celebrated at the Kennedy Center Honors, they brought in Aretha to perform one of King's songs that she had made famous nearly fifty years previous. I love everything about this performance, from King breaking down from the first note through to the end, to President Obama's tears less than two lines in, to Aretha grabbing the mic, tossing off her coat, and just owning that entire theater, at 73 years old. I still get chills every time I watch it.

• Options
    I don't even mind being ghosted on those. they deserve multiple postings

• Options
    I never looked much into her personal life before today.

She had her first kid when she was 12 and her second kid at 14.

That's crazy. I was still a baby when I was 12. I couldn't imagine needing to care for a baby.

• Options

That's crazy. I was still a baby when I was 12. I couldn't imagine needing to care for a baby.

steve you're a baby with a beard now and you're in your 30s

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

steve you're a baby with a beard now and you're in your 30s

This is accurate.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    This sucks but at least she got to go surrounded by loved ones and after a long and successful career.

• Options
    @Goose if you need more convincing to watch Blues Brothers, here's another song
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdbrIrFxas0

For me the great thing about Blues Brothers is it could easily have just been a movie about a pair of white guys performing and appropriating the songs of black artists, because that's how stuff like that usually went down. Instead Ackroyd & Belushi used it as an excuse to work with and promote their musical heroes, which they did in spite of objections from the studio who wanted to replace them with younger musicians. So you get a movie with Aretha Franklin running a diner, Ray Charles a music store, James Brown as a preacher, Cab Calloway as the brothers' surrogate father who introduced them to the blues, etc.

• Options
    it also features a yandere carrie fisher with a rocket launcher

• Options
    Cab Calloway's Minnie the Moocher from Blues Brothers in one of my absolute favorite songs ever

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Cab Calloway's Minnie the Moocher from Blues Brothers in one of my absolute favorite songs ever

his delivery of "a diamond car with the platinum wheels" as they kick up the tempo is just so so good

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Honestly, The Blues Brothers is a contender for the greatest musical ever made, and it is definitely my favorite. My dad loved it, to the point where I will break it out any chance I get to watch with him. It's a massive love letter to American music, showing its roots, its evolutions, and its destinations.

It also cemented my hatred of Illinois Nazis.

I don't even mind watching the extended version, that shows where the car got its powers (because Ackroyd needs to explain everything) and the extended musical number outside the diner.

But again.. Franklin just STEALS the show. Just watch the framing, the way the rest of the cast reacts to her performance, and everything. I think she might have even had a cold when singing it originally, but they couldn't dub over her singing because she mixed it up so much every performance! You can also see how loving and supporting she is - she's protecting her man from his hooligan friends (whereas Blues Brothers 2000 frames her more as a nagging wife, which is unfortunate).

Edit:
    Fearghaill wrote: »

his delivery of "a diamond car with the platinum wheels" as they kick up the tempo is just so so good

He originally wanted to do his recently released Disco version, because he didn't think people would like the old-style swing. I'm so glad he was overruled on that, because what we got was phenomenal.

Athenor on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    also while the Columbia Records albums weren't particularly successful, and there are very few memorable songs from that era, I absolutely adore this album title & cover

Yeah%21%21%21_album.jpg

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

If you take me to a place with Karaoke I will absolutely do it because I love the scating

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Respect.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I just got linked to this great article, which sent me to her cover of Rolling in the Deep, which I hadn't heard.

this woman was 72 when she recorded this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNWeGngQqOI

edit: that said, the producer on this should be slapped a little, they've done too much clean up. But still.

tynic on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    God damn thats a good cover

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Originally, the 1998 Grammys was to have Luciano Pavarotti perform Nessun Dorma - but at the last moment, he was forced to cancel because of illness. Show producer Ken Ehrlich was forced to try to find some way to rework the show, until he realized that Franklin, who was performing another number in the performance, had recently performed the same song at another event a few days prior. So, after a quick request, we wound up with this:

https://youtu.be/MjTXRo-rxGA

If you're interested, here's Ehrlich on the whole event:
    "OK, if that's what you want."

Those words, spoken very quietly by Aretha Franklin in a cramped, hot, fourth-floor dressing room at Radio City Music Hall, on the night of the 40th Annual Grammy Awards, are the closest I can come to answering the question that I am most frequently asked -- "What was the most tense moment in your career as a television producer?"

This is a tale of terror, unpredicatability, and ultimately, the truly amazing grace of a woman whose anthem song "Respect" took on a new and eternal meaning for me as a result of this one day in Grammy history.

Here's the situation: that afternoon at the dress rehearsal for the show, a tired but seemingly cooperative Luciano Pavarotti had worked his way through "Nessun Dorma," the operatic aria that we had all hoped would be the high point of a Grammy show that also contained performances by an amazing number of superstars, including Bob Dylan, Fleetwood Mac, Will Smith and Stevie Wonder.

But now it was showtime, and Pavarotti hadn't returned from his Central Park West apartment. He was scheduled somewhere in the middle of our three-hour show, so although my unwritten rule is that all talent is in the house before we go on the air, I wasn't overly concerned. There were plenty of other things to worry about.

We were about an hour into the show when my assistant Ron Basile rushed up to me offstage with a hastily scrawled number for Pavarotti at home. I found a quiet phone deep in the depths of Radio City, took a breath, and made the call.

You know what's coming.

"Ken, I'm sick. I can't come and sing. I will sing for you next year, but what will you do now?"

"First, Luciano, I will get off the phone and try to figure out how to fill four-and-a-half minutes of the Grammy Awards when we're already a half-hour into it."

Said with less harshness than the words indicate in print, it was still a critical situation that needed to be dealt with -- and fast. And I might add, in my 20-plus years of doing live television, though we had faced artists dropping in and out of shows prior to their airing, this was the first time I had ever faced an act canceling after the show was already on the air.

My first thoughts were random. You don't work with people for 20 years without creating some long-term relationships in the business -- and the Music Hall was filled with many of those folks that night. Should I go to Sting (who was introducing Pavarotti, but not performing that night) and ask him to perform? Among the performances still left in the show was one by Fleetwood Mac, and I thought about going to Lindsey Buckingham and asking him to extend their medley, which I had already trimmed to a tight five-and-a-half minutes. But how could I go to them after we had delicately negotiated them down from nine minutes in the beginning? Or should I think about going to Stevie, my old friend and someone who was always ready with something and ask him to do a second performance, in addition to his duet with Babyface?

One thing was certain, however. Though Kelsey Grammar was hosting the show, his strengths as an actor did not include ad-libbing -- and I couldn't put him in the position of "stretching" for up to five minutes without material.

And then it struck me. Three days earlier Aretha (with whom I've worked for nearly 20 years) had sung the aria "Nessun Dorma" at the Musicares benefit dinner ... in another key, with another arrangement, without a full orchestra. She had told me numerous times over the years we've worked together that she always wanted to sing opera, but to ask her to sing it in front of millions ...

She was scheduled to perform about 30 minutes from the present moment in a brief, but fun Blues Brothers medley with Dan Aykroyd and John Goodman, doing "Respect" as only she could.

I called for my long-time friend and coordinating producer Tisha Fein and Phil Ramone, who had produced the Musicares event, and we raced up the four flights of stairs. We had about fifty minutes before we got to the highly anticipated Pavarotti performance (the nonperformance). When I got to Aretha's small, overheated dressing room, complete with vaporizer and hangers-on, she was fanning herself, quietly waiting to go on. And then we hit her with this lightning bolt of a statement.

"Aretha, we have a problem. I know it's short notice, but how would you like to sing twice tonight? Go out there and do 'Respect' and then 20 minutes later, supported by a 65-piece orchestra and a 20-voice chorus, do 'Nessun Dorma'?"

And that's when she uttered those words. I knew she would, even before I had taken the first steps up the heart-attack stairway in the bowels of Radio City Music Hall. I will always love the Queen of Soul.

And though to many people, that was the Night of Soybomb disrupting Bob Dylan's triumphant Grammy performance, and Ol' Dirty Bastard storming the stage to interrupt Shawn Colvin's well-deserved acceptance speech, for me the 40th Annual Grammy Awards will always be the Night Aretha Franklin Saved the Grammys -- and not incidentally, my professional life.

somebody put a copyright claim on this and I suspect whoever it is deserves a smack in the mouth

• Options
  • Options
    Celine Dion's Face:

328bz9ailchv.jpg

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think this is another copy of the performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tsYKhGu--U

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    to me aretha's searing pop renditions of gospel and blues standards are like an alt origin story for modern rock that never traces a line through memphis or liverpool. she was a legend, and i suppose it's naive to look back and assume she forged everything i love personally.

but i will

https://youtu.be/Wg5PZtSTTN4

https://youtu.be/oc7VJAhnxlc

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    That video of her performance at the Kennedy Center is so completely overwhelming to me

it makes me weep, like I've caught a glimpse of something humans shouldn't see.

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    That video of her performance at the Kennedy Center is so completely overwhelming to me

it makes me weep, like I've caught a glimpse of something humans shouldn't see.

That's the same feeling I get when I see Prince's solo during While My Guitar Gently Weeps during the George Harrison tribute.

Every once in awhile there are there perfect moments of music

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    every single one of my classes will be watching a certain 5-minutes of the blues brothers today

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezz wrote: »
    every single one of my classes will be watching a certain 5-minutes of the blues brothers today

we got two honkies out there dressed like hasidic diamond salesmen
    what they want to eat?

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »

we got two honkies out there dressed like hasidic diamond salesmen
    what they want to eat?

the tall one wants
    toast
    dry
    with nothin on it

Elwood...

And the other one wants
    four whole fried chickens and a coke

and Jake, shit, the Blues Brothers!