As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    D&D got cancelled, I'll try and be on around 7PM est (PS4 for ancient leshen)

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    I think any fire damage may work? The group I did it in had a rocket great sword, I didn't check if they instead released the element instead of non-ele but we did have birds down often enough. Other runs we had were close had people using Luna Blaze LBG with rapid fire Fire ammo

You may be right. Anja III doesn't seem to be burning the birds off though.

Got my 2nd win last night after only 4 attempts. So now I have both required skulls. Apparently you can plunderblade farm the rest of the materials. I have both mutagens, so both layered armors. Crafted the sword, now I just need 6 more bones and 4 more claws.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Interestingly enough, the bow seems to do a decent job of stunning him (it is one of the best stun weapons I know haha). I was able to back to back stun him 3 times. I had a god tier wide area buffer that realised what I was doing and started using dash juice (that's the replenish one right? I can't remember) to replenish stamina and I was just spamming O to wide shot, coconuts, wide shot, coconuts over and over. It forced Leshan to his knees 3 times and the GS user loved it cause he got a bunch of true charges off haha.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    KO up works on coconuts right?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i wanna carve 'this machine kills jagras' onto my kjaar axe king

• Options
    build i ended up going with was 4 piece drachen with the empress gamma headpiece to pick up some wide range and small slots and obv the aforementioned axe

i just through the set together in a rush to get going and that shit owned

• Options
    yeah you were doing some nasty damage to the leshen

and apparently two ranks of flinch free still wasn't enough not to get flinched :rotate:

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    yeah you were doing some nasty damage to the leshen

and apparently two ranks of flinch free still wasn't enough not to get flinched :rotate:
    sacrifices had to be made at the altar of dps

• Options
    edited February 2019
    naph did you happen to note any of our kill times from last night? most of the runs seemed to end a lot sooner than i expected but i managed to never once actually check the time

that second run, i think we got two greatsword guys, seemed crazy

Elendil on
  • Options
    20-25 minutes I think, the double GS run might have been faster. seems pretty typical of the kills I've seen so far. It has like 67K HP, and that last phase takes fooorever

• Options
    the only thing i had the mats to craft so far has been the dual blades

they seem cool so i went into the training room to try out dual blades (having never once done so)

dual blades are really boring

• Options
    but zireael makes you look like you're flash-stepping when you dash in demon mode

and isn't that really what's important

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Are these new Dual Blades better than Diablos?

God I fucking hate hunting Kirin at this point, found 2 I thought was Large Gold Crowns today, wasnt even a new record.

• Options
    Sirialis wrote: »

No, not for raw. They're better than Jho for dragon, but not as good as kjaar decay with peak performance

• Options
    edited February 2019
    i mean, they're pretty close to diablos for raw now that you can dump handicraft, surely

i will trade a little bit of damage for not having to build 5 handicraft 1000% of the time, personally

especially if the fashion is that much better

Elendil on
  • Options
    Eeep. I totally forgot about the dual blades, that means I need another kill tonight for a 3rd skull. Ugh.

• Options
    Sirialis wrote: »

God I fucking hate hunting Kirin at this point, found 2 I thought was Large Gold Crowns today, wasnt even a new record.

I had at least 4 kirin that should have been large crown but weren't. Was very frustrating. Keep at it man, you'll get there :D

I also died to a potential gold crown super early on - knowing my luck i'm going to just state that it was definitely a gold crown - due to me being too nervous about not dying, I died.

• Options
    Good night of MHW. Got my last required kill to get the dual blades (which I totally didn't forget about >_>), plunderbladed the remaining materials to craft Ciri armor, so now I'm 100% on the event. Back to Lavashit farming.

Speaking of lavashit, he gave me a free elem/ammo up gem, so that was nice. God damn shield gem would be better!!!

• Options
    Klatu wrote: »
    Good night of MHW. Got my last required kill to get the dual blades (which I totally didn't forget about >_>), plunderbladed the remaining materials to craft Ciri armor, so now I'm 100% on the event. Back to Lavashit farming.

Speaking of lavashit, he gave me a free elem/ammo up gem, so that was nice. God damn shield gem would be better!!!

Yea I spent the night knocking off optional quests to try and unlock the two that rewarded research commission tickets. Fortunately was able to find an SOS for one so I now have a ticket for one of the empress upgrades. Since apparently I am a light gunner I am deciding on whether to do the blaze or Styx upgrade first. Going to do both regardless but only have the mats for one right now.
    Excited for the upgrade though. The base model is pretty dope.

Do the different bow guns have different rates of fire for normal or rapid? I swear the empress shell burns through way more ammo then any of the other guns I use.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    picked up two more gold crowns

five...more... to go

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    I picked up World for Xbox One when it dropped; my first Monster Hunter game. For whatever reason, it did not click with me at all. Part of it was because I bought it to play with a friend, and the limitations on multiplayer while trying to get through the campaign were frustrating. I still couldn't get into it a month later when I went back to play it alone, ultimately just putting the game down.

This last Friday, some friends and I were planning to play Anthem on PC. My computer being 5 years old performs abysmally and makes for very painful game play, so I just couldn't keep playing with them. In my anticipation to play it, though, I really started craving a good grindy looter based RPG. Decided to give World a go again to scratch the itch and this time all the pieces fit - I'm really loving this game. I didn't want to go to bed last night like a responsible adult who had work in the morning and I'm counting down the minutes until I get to go home and play more.

I will say, though, starting a year behind of content drops and updates is a bit overwhelming. There appears to be a LOT of meat to this game.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Klatu wrote: »

Yea I spent the night knocking off optional quests to try and unlock the two that rewarded research commission tickets. Fortunately was able to find an SOS for one so I now have a ticket for one of the empress upgrades. Since apparently I am a light gunner I am deciding on whether to do the blaze or Styx upgrade first. Going to do both regardless but only have the mats for one right now.
    Excited for the upgrade though. The base model is pretty dope.

Do the different bow guns have different rates of fire for normal or rapid? I swear the empress shell burns through way more ammo then any of the other guns I use.

Yes, the recoil stat affects how fast you can fire another round. You can slot upgrades to reduce recoil in MHW. Prior games had armor skills for it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Ah OK I didn't realize recoil affected fire rate but it makes sense. I assumed it was more mobility. I do have 3 recoil suppressor mods in it as opposed to reload

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Ah OK I didn't realize recoil affected fire rate but it makes sense. I assumed it was more mobility. I do have 3 recoil suppressor mods in it as opposed to reload

It affects mobility too.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I picked up World for Xbox One when it dropped; my first Monster Hunter game. For whatever reason, it did not click with me at all. Part of it was because I bought it to play with a friend, and the limitations on multiplayer while trying to get through the campaign were frustrating. I still couldn't get into it a month later when I went back to play it alone, ultimately just putting the game down.

This last Friday, some friends and I were planning to play Anthem on PC. My computer being 5 years old performs abysmally and makes for very painful game play, so I just couldn't keep playing with them. In my anticipation to play it, though, I really started craving a good grindy looter based RPG. Decided to give World a go again to scratch the itch and this time all the pieces fit - I'm really loving this game. I didn't want to go to bed last night like a responsible adult who had work in the morning and I'm counting down the minutes until I get to go home and play more.

I will say, though, starting a year behind of content drops and updates is a bit overwhelming. There appears to be a LOT of meat to this game.

This was pretty much the situation I found myself in.

I bought the game on PS4 way back in February last year (a month after the game launched). Back then, I was into Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3...and there were a bunch of (superficial) similarities between those games and MHW. Because of those seeming similarities, I saw the switch axe and went "Oh! I know that weapon from Bloodborne, that's a natural choice!" With that in mind, I distinctly remember nearly carting several times against both Jagras (not even Great Jagras) and Kestodons. Between not being able to instantly turn on a dime mid attack combo and always fumbling the controls (I was used to bumper/trigger being used for light and heavy, respectively, attacks), I bounced off the game pretty dang hard.

Fast forward to the Christmas holiday sale on Steam where MHW was 50% off. I figured that I'd try it out on PC and maybe I'd have a better go at it. Picked it up during the sale, installed it just after the new year (I was away from my main desktop on holiday), and started playing. Sure, having your character's facing be locked during attack combos is still kinda frustrating; but, this time, things clicked for me. Exactly how well did it click with me? According to Steam, for the first month I was playing, I was averaging 78 hours every two weeks.

Granted, I wasn't exactly playing it the most efficient way possible (I grind a LOT for ALL the gear I think looks cool and want)...and now, I finally saw (and downed) Teostra and absolutely MUST have the Teostra-Beta helmet, chest, legs, Teostra-Alpha waist, and HBG. I will be the prettiest crimson princess cannoness!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I played up until Barroth last night.

All I can say is I haaaaaaate fighting in water and mud. I repeatedly let out audible sighs of relief when he'd retreat to dry land, and equally loud groans when he'd run back to his mud pit.

• Options
    I played up until Barroth last night.

All I can say is I haaaaaaate fighting in water and mud. I repeatedly let out audible sighs of relief when he'd retreat to dry land, and equally loud groans when he'd run back to his mud pit.

I had the same experience (seriously, its mud globs would literally vacu-suck me into them when I'm miles away from the even the outer edge of the blob). And then I discovered Gajau Boots to mitigate the effects of fighting in water.

Also, muck resistance comes in handy.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I had no idea such boots existed. You totally just made my day!

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Could also resort to dung pods to force a zone change if you really wanted.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Could also resort to dung pods to force a zone change if you really wanted.

True...but the boots and muck resistance will be handy in an upcoming fight.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Do you guys have any tips for the Nergigante (I'm almost assuredly spelling his name wrong)? I seemingly had him to a point where he had a skull but then he did this lunge attack that took me from full health to nothing. When I made my way back he did the same thing and murdered me. I have a fairly high defense gear on and I'm using hammers. I'm not sure if I could have fought him any better without risking a lot of attacks.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »
    Do you guys have any tips for the Nergigante (I'm almost assuredly spelling his name wrong)? I seemingly had him to a point where he had a skull but then he did this lunge attack that took me from full health to nothing. When I made my way back he did the same thing and murdered me. I have a fairly high defense gear on and I'm using hammers. I'm not sure if I could have fought him any better without risking a lot of attacks.

You got the spelling right.

For me, I think I went in with a pile of health boost and divine blessing. Even then, I spent the entire skull period in his nest going "fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckohshitfuckfuckfuck!!"

• Options
    edited February 2019
    For water, there are also mirewalker gems.

For nerg.

Yea, his nest thing is a bitch due to reduced dodge area.
    I am assuming you are armorskin drinking to start? You can stack that with seeds and powder.

Not sure if you dung bomb him there if he will leave.

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Hammer here too and Nergi's last phase was scary. MegaBombs help a lot to cut that section of the fight shorter, set them while he sleeps.
    I've been rocking a Diving Blessing Level 3 charm for a while and not regretting it. It kicks in quite often.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    How long does Armorskin last? I always feel like it's like a 1-2 minute thing at most and never really worth the time.

I didn't think about MegaBombs. I'll have to try that out too. Health boost too.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Event Leshen doesn't mess around.

Thought he'd be pretty easy in a group but those damn branch sneak attacks are impressive. I don't think I was able to guard against them with my HBG.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    hushhush Registered User regular

Learning how to reliably superman dive is incredibly important on him and later, harder, enemies - it lets you dodge his dumb bullshit one shots at will, and you will truly be unstoppable later on.

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    What is the best use of Sticky ammo?

I just nail monsters in the head with it since it seems to help with KOs/knocking em down but I'm assuming it does bonus damage to parts/helps break them off more easily.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Handkor wrote: »
    Hammer here too and Nergi's last phase was scary. MegaBombs help a lot to cut that section of the fight shorter, set them while he sleeps.
    I've been rocking a Diving Blessing Level 3 charm for a while and not regretting it. It kicks in quite often.
    How long does Armorskin last? I always feel like it's like a 1-2 minute thing at most and never really worth the time.

I didn't think about MegaBombs. I'll have to try that out too. Health boost too.

Incidentally, mega barrel bombs and mega bouncing bombs do not share a use limit. Which means you can use a mega bounce bomb to set off the two mega barrel bombs. Learned that one during my HR kirin farming.

Also, if you use Mega Armorskin, it'll last until death.

• Options
    i think it's just KO for the most part

heavy bowgun is the second best KO weapon behind the bow

hammer is somewhere between the jagras switch axe and dual blades with impact mantle