As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Shooting in Jacksonville, FL at a Madden Tournament

syndalissyndalis Getting ClassyOn the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
edited August 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
pretty please lets not make this a gun control thread, rather just news on it and letting florida folks let us know if they are okay, etc. We can talk politics in another thread if the mods approve
(CNN)The Jacksonville, Florida, Sheriff's Office said there was a mass shooting with multiple fatalities at a downtown shopping-dining complex on Sunday and urged people to stay far away from the area.

"Mass shooting at the Jacksonville Landing. Stay far away from the area. The area is not safe at this time. STAY AWAY #TheLandingMassShooting," the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said on Twitter.
The shooting occurred during a qualifying event for the Madden 19 Tournament at the GLHF Game Bar, according to the Twitter of CompLexity Gaming, one of the gaming teams. One Madden participant, Young Drini, was grazed in the hand and is away from the scene and safe, Complexity said.

One shooter is confirmed dead, searching for additional ones

4 victims dead, 11 injured.

More news as it comes.

edit: Jacksonville Sheriff 's office is active on twitter and giving info and instructions

SW-4158-3990-6116
Let's play Mario Kart or something...
syndalis on

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    There's video. Why did I watch that? Jesus I'm gonna be sick.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    The video from twitch cuts off before anything can be seen, but the audio is very disturbing and I would highly recommend people do not watch it.

This is horrible.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Is the situation ongoing or is the suspect arrested / fled from the scene?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Henroid wrote: »

One suspect dead, police searching for the possibility of additional suspects, but currently they are unsure if it is over or not.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

One suspect is confirmed dead, they aren't certain if there was only one. Police are telling people to stay far away from the area at this time and if you happen to be there in hiding, stay there and call 911 so police can find you.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

One suspect dead, police searching for the possibility of additional suspects, but currently they are unsure if it is over or not.

Also searching a several block area for people hiding.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Whoah yeah no let’s skip the video, all. As far as I understand Twitch are taking it down anyway, and doing their best to scrub it.

CNN are saying the suspect is one of the fatalities.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I watched the replay of the twitch stream when it happened and wish I hadn’t.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    The video from twitch cuts off before anything can be seen, but the audio is very disturbing and I would highly recommend people do not watch it.

This is horrible.

The video shows what looks like a laser targeting pointer going across one of the players just before it cuts to the gameplay.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    The video in question is audio-only as far as exposure to the shooting goes but still, I don't recommend looking it up.

Henroid on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

This is horrible.

The video shows what looks like a laser targeting pointer going across one of the players just before it cuts to the gameplay.

spool18 was watching this live. It rattled the fuck out of him...times like this I wish he'd elected to be on the forums.

• Options
    I take it everyone here is okay? There were no G&Ters there or anything?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So I guess Florida is just the mass shooting capitol of the US now? Jesus...

Seems like it, anyway.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Hope all of our PA brethren are ok. :(

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's depression or mass shooting fatigue but all I can do is just lie down after hearing this.

• Options
    Reminder that nobody is obliged to follow this story or pay attention to what has happened. You’re not a horrible person for not being able to deal with shit like this.

• Options
    Fuck me, you guys need to stay away from social media on this one. It's stupider than usual.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    The video already seems to have been taken down.

• Options
    TetraRayTetraRay Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    The video already seems to have been taken down.

The video is out there. MSNBC really fucked up and played it already. If you don't feel you can handle this, for any reason, it may be for the best to step back from media for a little bit.

Steam ID: TetraRay
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Fuck me, you guys need to stay away from social media on this one. It's stupider than usual.

*holds envelope up to head*

Gun free zones, liberal gun control laws, false flag.

*opens twitter*

Yup, same old shit.

• Options
    Is there any confirmation on the shooter being a participant in the tournament who lost? An LA Times correspondent is saying as such.

• Options

Urgh, really? Social media is how I’d heard about it, but it was through the reactions of the gamers I follow. I haven’t paid much attention to anything else.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    We're at the point with these shootings that I'm "relieved" there's only 4 confirmed fatalities...

Bleh.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Is there any confirmation on the shooter being a participant in the tournament who lost? An LA Times correspondent is saying as such.

I haven't heard anything confirming it

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

I haven't heard anything confirming it
    Steven “Steveyj” Javaruski, one of the gamers, told the Los Angeles Times that the shooter was a competitor in the tournament who lost. Javaruski said he saw the the gunman kill two or three people before shooting himself.

• Options
    The editor-in-Chief of Mother Jones has issued a reminder not to share the twitch video, or any footage of mass shootings. Sad to say, but it just inspires copycats.

That tweet leads to a thread with data on the subject she’s collected and reported on over the years, if anyone needs to convince anyone else.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I don't know if it does or doesn't spawn copycats. But it's particularly goulish to share videos of people dying.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

Urgh, really? Social media is how I’d heard about it, but it was through the reactions of the gamers I follow. I haven’t paid much attention to anything else.

Just the usual parasites giving out false information or others outright blaming gamers/gaming culture.

Anyhow, it seems people are getting the point, videos are being taken down on mass.

• Options

Just the usual parasites giving out false information or others outright blaming gamers/gaming culture.

Anyhow, it seems people are getting the point, videos are being taken down on mass.
    No, it's not the usual. I mean it is but that's not what I mean. Not going to name names but someone prominent is hijacking the situation for something else and it's stupid.

• Options

No, it's not the usual. I mean it is but that's not what I mean. Not going to name names but someone prominent is hijacking the situation for something else and it's stupid.

It's not just one, you have one person falsely naming a youtuber as the suspect, then deleting the tweet blaming it on 'hackers' once called out on it. You have one jumping straight away saying the entire gaming culture is white racist and gleefully saying the whole 'told you so' crap.

It makes me absolutely sick to think these people are so low to hijack such a thing.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Sheriff says no suspects at large, shooter is a white man, but that's all we've got so far.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    What do people say to just ignoring the shooter for the entirety of this thread? Just straight up not talking about who he is, or what his background is, or any excuses he thought he had for doing this or whatnot? Just putting the kibosh on that whole sorry rabbit hole?

I don’t mind if people don’t want to, but I expect this to be a short lived thread since it’s just to keep track of news about what happened, and I honestly don’t think a focus on the shooter adds anything.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Whenever this happens I start sweating because it's easily something someone in my family could have been at

I'm so sad

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Sheriff says no suspects at large, shooter is a white man, but that's all we've got so far.

So isolated incident it is. Probably get blamed on the violence of madden or something equally insane.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

So isolated incident it is. Probably get blamed on the violence of madden or something equally insane.

The first person he targeted was a black competitor so let's see how that plays out

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

The first person he targeted was a black competitor so let's see how that plays out

Did that guy survive? I saw the photos of him playing away with the laser sight on his chest. Grim stuff.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

Did that guy survive? I saw the photos of him playing away with the laser sight on his chest. Grim stuff.

No clue, I tend to not engage with these shootings too much after the initial reports until the 48 hour mark to avoid the predictable noise blurring the signal. I could speculate based on what's in the video but I'd rather not.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    What do people say to just ignoring the shooter for the entirety of this thread? Just straight up not talking about who he is, or what his background is, or any excuses he thought he had for doing this or whatnot? Just putting the kibosh on that whole sorry rabbit hole?

I don’t mind if people don’t want to, but I expect this to be a short lived thread since it’s just to keep track of news about what happened, and I honestly don’t think a focus on the shooter adds anything.

If we ignore the shooter than we ignore the motivation for the shooting, which makes it a lot easier for people to just blanket blame white men or guns or videogames or whatever societal boogeyman is currently #trending on twitter.

You can discuss a mass shooting without glorifying the shooter. You can't learn from a situation and take steps to prevent it in the future if you deliberately ignore the cause of it.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

If we ignore the shooter than we ignore the motivation for the shooting, which makes it a lot easier for people to just blanket blame white men or guns or videogames or whatever societal boogeyman is currently #trending on twitter.

You can discuss a mass shooting without glorifying the shooter. You can't learn from a situation and take steps to prevent it in the future if you deliberately ignore the cause of it.
    I dunno. It's a rarity that we can get any kind of motivation. Most don't leave a manifesto, and frankly, the speculation that tends to spin up can often be just plain disgusting.

And we already know what the root causes are, but the original poster doesn't want us going there.

So I'm all for "Asshole Murderer". Though I think that's still a little too suggestive. "Asshole Coward" is more appropriate, I think.