Options

We're three times as fast in the 3rd [Gunpla] & Plastic models thread

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    It took me until just now to realize you're reading the PG Strike Gundam despite it being the only perfect grade I've built. I love the ridiculous folders in the skirt armor almost as much as the giant sword I don't think was ever seen in the anime.

Hah. I started with a picture of the box! Believe me, them calling it the Perfect Grade Perfect Strike Gundam was confusing at first.

I kind of bought it sight unseen because I heard the base model was a good starter. I'm disappointed to learn that not all the equipment can be equipped at once.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    ooohh the Perfect Strike, I did the base version ages ago which comes with the ridiculous sword you can see here:

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Strike-Gundam-Perfect/dp/B0004EAGEM

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    much as I hate on gundam seed, the regular-ass strike gundam was a pretty good vanilla hero gundam design

in fact the vanilla strike gundam and the not-zakus are probably the only things I liked in it

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    ooohh the Perfect Strike, I did the base version ages ago which comes with the ridiculous sword you can see here:

https://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Hobby-Strike-Gundam-Perfect/dp/B0004EAGEM

... Huh. I thought those parts were part of the hips, then the shoulders. But I guess they are the hilt of that sword? Interesting, My model doesn't come with that, instead coming with a stupid-huge beam saber. :)

Maybe I'll track down that runner. Also thanks for the link so I can see the differences between the base and my model, because I've noticed some strange duplicated runners and pieces.

Edit: Yup. Definitely different knees, side skirts have some different patterns, the silvery bits are all new on the ankles and front skirts. Nifty!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    much as I hate on gundam seed, the regular-ass strike gundam was a pretty good vanilla hero gundam design

in fact the vanilla strike gundam and the not-zakus are probably the only things I liked in it

I liked the basic Strike, and I really liked the ZAKUs from the sequel show SEED Destiny.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The PG Perfect Strike took the exterior armor from the PG Strike and redid it to add a lot more details. But all the new armor bits are on new runners, so you'll be left with almost all of the old armor parts. The Grand Slam sword was included in the original PG Strike because it was used in Gundam Evolve episode 8, which was released at the same time as the Perfect Grade kit (all the way back in 2004).

I already have my PG Strike set up as a ghetto perfect strike because I bought the 1/60 no grade Strike and Launch packs that were upgrades for the original 1/60 no grade Strike.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    "Grand Slam Sword", fuckin blessed

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Ok maybe legs do help

20200411-143748.jpg

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Ha! The markers I ordered will now arrive Tuesday. Meanwhile the tools are still scheduled for the first and the actual kits are still waiting to ship out.

At this rate I’ll be back at work before I’m ready to start building.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Strong day today! I don't feel tired, but I do think I'm going to take a break here.. Maybe. I need to find something. You'll see what and why at the end.

With the center torso done, that means it's everyone's favorite: The shoulder joints! I swear every Gundam and Zoid I've done handles this differently. So let's see what a Perfect Grade brings to the table.

... Oh, a horizontal rotation. Easy enough.

oecyLppl.jpg

Little bit of decoration, good good...

WhSEA3Nl.jpg

Woah. What you don't see here is the vertical rotation that uses that same polycap on one side, hard plastic on the other side (with ratchets) design that's become a hallmark of this model for me. But hey, we have something for those pipes to go into!

9kiUxb4l.jpg

But wait! More pipes! Lots of flexibility. Awesome.

sat7gkXl.jpg

No need to photograph the other side going together, it's pretty much identical but reversed.

8JaIT4dl.jpg

And on they go! At this stage, I thought the sides of the torso would be able to slide up and down. Turns out later that isn't the case, so this picture just shows the pre and post slide positions.

1Gj14tGl.jpg

Along with the sides comes the cockpit cover.

0mdzycVl.jpg

And the collar! You know, to stop those beam sabers from decapitating the robots? ... Of course, everyone knows to go for the chest, but hey.

WrYhyFhl.jpg

Bottom of the torso! Ooooh, this sucker has a couple compound joints and swivel and a couple other things! Neat!

tWcfmr4l.jpg

@Heffling mentioned that the perfect strike had some updated armor pieces that have more detail. This piece is a prime example. The one on the runner is the original. The one that is clipped out is the perfect strike version.

KTwmEzul.jpg

Even the underside that you will NEVER EVER SEE has more detail. (It's also that danged silver that hates panel lining of all stripes.)

XLxA8Nvl.jpg

Here we are with those armor pieces installed, as well as the bottom of the torso. It's looking a lot like a Gundam! ... It's also much harder to show to the camera because of that large peg.

fnRWVRcl.jpg

Still good in there little bud? Great.

1lTY923l.jpg

Here's another picture showing the original piece on the right versus the perfect strike's detail. What is insane is that vertical silver bit? It's just held in with friction. Personally I would've reinforced it with something... anything. But nope. There isn't room for that to keep with the original frame and what this adds.

egFBzaTl.jpg

Because the underside features a slide! This piece can move in and out. It does lock in the standard position and it's a bear to get out, but it is still a cool gimmick.

k6JdxQnl.jpg

Here's an extended versus retracted underside pic.

bCloKAIl.jpg

And from the top:

Bb6UT4ol.jpg

And here it is, installed with the outer side torso frames! Left side is normal, right side (from our perspective) is extended.

iJJyhS0l.jpg

SpKrmRnl.jpg

Now for the side armor.

ZnFiGBQl.jpg

Yt2Uowjl.jpg

vBjjXu1l.jpg

And the shoulder armor! Yay! This took me the longest, believe it or not. I couldn't get the shell pieces to line up with the pegs right, despite many tries. But eventually I got it!

vBjjXu1l.jpg

GqogWdol.jpg

Here you can see those buried pistons.

AjQ4CjDl.jpg

And here's the cockpit fully opened.

OCzGNyYl.jpg

u30IniMl.jpg

Last little bit for the torso: A back door and vent. Yes, the door at the top opens.

vHCG663l.jpg

It locks in place with a final bit of collar detail (this back assembly can slide up and down)...

yyTnVv4l.jpg

And now it's time for the install! Iron Kong's having his arms looked at, so it's just Barbatos helping out for now.

iCP3yVYl.jpg

Even without arms it strikes a cool pose.

AVUf9Gvl.jpg

DK3TtStl.jpg

But now, we can see... Just how big this guy's gonna be.

D1BAqF4h.jpg

Oh, bonus shot, here's that back flap open.

SqiPYtkl.jpg

The next step is the head! It's time to finish off that iconic look. But... well, this is why I'm pausing here tonight. See... I don't have the right kind of batteries. I tried grabbing some at the grocery store today, but they didn't have any. I checked Walmart and Target, and nothing. So I need to hunt around and figure out who might carry them that's open with this quarantine. I could order online, but it seems wasteful.

Luckily I have a couple other projects to occupy a day or two with. :)

Athenor on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Pharmacies or places that carry hearing aids might have the battery you need. Normal you could try watch repair shops but they will probably charge you more for a single battery then what a pack would cost on Amazon. Building the arms and saving for last is also an option.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    The order is head, weapon, arms, base /stand. It makes NO sense. :)

Edit: Good call on the pharmacy! It closes in 15 and I'm not doing any more building tonight, but I can pick one up tomorrow!

Athenor on
  • Options
    Yeah that is a stupid order. You probably want the stand ready before you slap a bunch of weaponry and that big ass backpack that every Gundam from SEED has unless you enjoy watching unbalanced Gundams fall over. Guess that is why they gave you metal weights for the legs and waist. But weapons before arms is pure madness.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Yeah that is a stupid order. You probably want the stand ready before you slap a bunch of weaponry and that big ass backpack that every Gundam from SEED has unless you enjoy watching unbalanced Gundams fall over. Guess that is why they gave you metal weights for the legs and waist. But weapons before arms is pure madness.

To be fair, it's base Strike weapons: The rifle and the shield. The expansion units come after finishing the main model.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    TNTrooper wrote: »

I think that's part of what I don't like about the SEED/Destiny/etc mecha. They start with really cool basic stuff like the Strike or the ZAKUs, but then they just kind of go nuts with over-the-top nonsense and/or weirdly placed kibble. If you thought the Wing Zero Gundam was OP, the Strike Freedom puts it to shame. Meanwhile, shellformers and other goofball designs are fine in a series like G Gundam, but it just doesn't feel as though it fits the style SEED was going for. Like, the Forbidden Gundam is, to my mind, one of the worst-looking things in the franchise:
    latest?cb=20120520055411
    Why doesn't the Forbidden just always have the side panels out like the quin mantha? Why can't it just brace the long guns over the shoulders or fold them under the armpits & hold them like the strike freedom? What is the functional reason for that glorified mushroom cap that lowers over it's head? Conversely, why not ditch the extraneous Gundam bits and simply make it a proper mobile armor? Cause even when its all folded-up, it has got to impede the range of movement for the Mobile Suit mode.
    latest?cb=20120520055240

Silly as it looks, the Nether Gundam at least had a reason to transform (camouflage).
    latest?cb=20120818152956

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Seed does have giant robot dogs, so you know, kinda evens out.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Oh yeah, the BuCUE or something, right? I'll admit I wasn't wild about them, but I like when Gundam stretches its legs a little and tries something different. In the case of the dog mecha, it's a quadruped weapons platform with guns or missile launchers mounted in a sensible way. That's a good design.

That's pretty much how I felt about Gundam 00's mecha as well; I wasn't a big fan of that aesthetic (although the Flag kinda grew on me), but I really liked that it wasn't just another retread of the same-old same-old.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    It's like the UC doesn't have ridiculous over the top ugly mobile suits. Like the Penelope:

71lX2hQ3CeL._AC_SX522_.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Heffling wrote: »
    It's like the UC doesn't have ridiculous over the top ugly mobile suits. Like the Penelope:

Oh it does. I don't like them either, is the thing. Nor a lot of the original series Mobile Armors, like the Big Zam or Zakrello. There's no sacred cows here.

But to be fair, isn't the whole thing with the Penelope that it has atmospheric flight? So at least there's a clear purpose for all that kibble.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Dont say mean things about my extremely large bird child

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Oh it does. I don't like them either, is the thing. Nor a lot of the original series Mobile Armors, like the Big Zam or Zakrello. There's no sacred cows here.

But to be fair, isn't the whole thing with the Penelope that it has atmospheric flight? So at least there's a clear purpose for all that kibble.

All that shit hanging off it makes it less aerodynamic than a housebrick, though. It'd fly like a particularly heavy lead weight.

• Options
    edited April 2020

All that shit hanging off it makes it less aerodynamic than a housebrick, though. It'd fly like a particularly heavy lead weight.

Sure, but it's still one step ahead of the Forbidden Gundam. Even if it's approach to flight is only marginally better than the brute force method favored by WH40K's Space Marine aircraft:
    300px-99120101117_Stormwolf360.jpg
    That's still less silly than mashing together a mobile armor and a Gundam in ways that hinder both for no apparent reason beyond "we need x new Gundam figures this season, and we're all out of gimmick ideas". Compare some of the other transforming Gundams from SEED:
    Aegis
    51jtncms48dl.jpg
    c84fwaaeuxq8.jpg
    Chaos
    p1p6z15t028g.jpg
    g2wj8wbvs9xo.jpg
    Gaia (speaking of Mobile Dogs)
    47v9gz5e7ghi.jpg
    9hxjtiycpzw4.jpg
    Savior
    ypj7gqzfnneb.jpg
    90ncvl55mj5y.jpg
    And you may start to see why I dump on the Forbidden so much.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options

Well, the thing is it's a prototype unit for testing minovsky particle barrier flight.

Basically, it projects a dome shaped energy field in front of itself that effortlessly slides everything off it, giving it zero friction/air resistance. It basically creates it's own vacuum to fly in, which let's it get up to cruising speeds of Mach 5 or 6. Somewhere in there. And the system doubles as an extremely potent defensive system in combat.

And then they just strapped a fuckload of missiles to it cause why not.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    With the lead on the battery I managed to pick up what I needed... so that means it's time to assemble the head!

Here we have the runners for head. This also marks the first appearance of the R Runner!

The R runner is very similar to the inner frame bits of the Real Grades. It is a multi-molded piece... and every. single. joint. of. the. hands. is. its. own. piece.

We use R here for the eyes. Double molded - clear with black around it to make sure the light goes where it is supposed to.

xCxmo2kh.jpg

Here you can see the inside structure of the optics.

j8blr1ql.jpg

And the first head assembly! ... I kind of like this, it has a Mortal Kombat vibe.

j8blr1ql.jpg

Here's the back. Big hole. Wonder why? :D

j8blr1ql.jpg

Light assembly time! It's super basic, but also really, REALLY annoying. Essentially you are putting in place contacts that then wrap around the LED and with a small switch. It's super fiddly.

mhaB4egl.jpg

Here's roughly how the LED and switch go. I screwed up my first time assembling it, so the LED isn't placed right.

R4UNHqml.jpg

The cover clips on... thankfully, in case you need to replace the LED. Or get it all working in the first place.

uapHVhGl.jpg

Testing time! Looks good.. Or so I thought at the time.

dVZDFIol.jpg

After some fiddling, the battery cover was installed and the screw installed.

5zCipQgl.jpg

And then it just slots into the helmet!

ONmoX7Jl.jpg

A plate keeps it in place and provides the frame detail.

jiVviQ3l.jpg

So now it's time to start putting on the armor. I actually screwed up slightly with the top crest and cut off a decorative bit, but you'd never notice it.

RjRBAlUl.jpg

Side bits of head armor! I had SO MUCH TROUBLE with one of the gatling guns that refused to go in properly, holy cow. Eventually I think I got it? But it is still.. ugh.

6eEPSXBl.jpg

gDEiZPnl.jpg

And then the back... with an armor piece that can fall off fairly easily. I'm surprised there were no polycaps to keep this piece in place. But it seems to hold okay now.

5u4cqCnl.jpg

Head crests!

aacNtthl.jpg

And finally... installing the head. But... we already stood up the body. So how am I going to get that up there? Especially with Iron Kong out of commission?

SWz1Dpjh.jpg

"Thanks, big guy!"

Ajfig5Tl.jpg

Decision time. Do I go into the arms, or do I do the weapons like the instructions say? I kind of want to follow the order of the instructions, but the beam rifle and shield seem weird to build on a model that.. well.. isn't able to hold them.

I'll probably skip it and do the arms next. Except work is calling on an emergency thing. Ugh.

• Options
    turtleant wrote: »

Well, the thing is it's a prototype unit for testing minovsky particle barrier flight.

Basically, it projects a dome shaped energy field in front of itself that effortlessly slides everything off it, giving it zero friction/air resistance. It basically creates it's own vacuum to fly in, which let's it get up to cruising speeds of Mach 5 or 6. Somewhere in there. And the system doubles as an extremely potent defensive system in combat.

And then they just strapped a fuckload of missiles to it cause why not.

so all the shit strapped to it to make it look like a really dumb bird is double pointless, got it :P

Sure, but it's still one step ahead of the Forbidden Gundam. Even if it's approach to flight is only marginally better than the brute force method favored by WH40K's Space Marine aircraft:
    300px-99120101117_Stormwolf360.jpg
    That's still less silly than mashing together a mobile armor and a Gundam in ways that hinder both for no apparent reason beyond "we need x new Gundam figures this season, and we're all out of gimmick ideas". Compare some of the other transforming Gundams from SEED:
    Aegis
    51jtncms48dl.jpg
    c84fwaaeuxq8.jpg
    Chaos
    p1p6z15t028g.jpg
    g2wj8wbvs9xo.jpg
    Gaia (speaking of Mobile Dogs)
    47v9gz5e7ghi.jpg
    9hxjtiycpzw4.jpg
    Savior
    ypj7gqzfnneb.jpg
    90ncvl55mj5y.jpg

you know what, I take it back, the penelope could be worse

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

I'm way late responding to this, but it needs to be said: Buster is a phenomenal design. It's a design I like so much that I might build it again some day. <_<

• Options
    Hmmm.

I really shouldn't fall into the depths of aftermarket parts for Gunpla.

A store I follow just advertised a "Rage Nucleon" high mobility backpack for the MG Nu / Hi Nu ver. Ka models. As the Hi Nu's in my backlog, I'm looking at this and wondering what the story behind it is, and if it is essential.... It definitely is an interesting take on the fin funnel placement, but it looks really close to what the Hi Nu already does?

• Options
    Looks like a bigger more detailed Hi Nu backpack that comes in both Nu flavors. Incidentally I suddenly want to build a MG Nu Gundam get. Ka mind linking the store?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I try not to link stores, but because you asked -- please, mods, let me know if this is an issue. :)

This is my friend's store in Texas, where I've got a bunch of pre-orders waiting, and who has been advertising a lot of cool things on Facebook.

https://thegundamproject.com/

I should also link my local store. They had to bring their storefront online early thanks to COVID-19, so it's really incomplete. But I have to promote them. They mean a lot to me. :)

https://www.redraccoongames.net/iishop?dynamicFilters={"mfg_name":{"Bandai+Hobby":true}}

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Update on my first Gunpla... the tools will also be arriving this Tuesday! :)

Not sure about the delivery of the models. :?

I’m tempted to find something on Amazon that might actually show up by the end of the week.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    the talk about SEED backpacks makes me want to find that fake design (that might've been done by Okawara?) that was basically a large boxy winged backpack covered with weapons, verniers, and other kibbile with a gundam hanging off the front.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    This custom is killing me

Making armor on pants is a nightmare

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    20200412-215056.jpg

Best $40 I've spent in a while

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Kshatriya is SO COOL

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    85e4hvzjf0vx.png
    qw5k7pbkwrnd.png

big booster

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    Have they made a model of that spec-ops tank-transforming guncannon sort of thing from unicorn?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    the Loto, yeah

2222.jpg

they're small enough that you get 2 per box

they're also based on the guntank from F91, which i wish would get an updated kit at some point

1-100_gundam_f91_04_guntank_r-44_box.jpg

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Have they made a model of that spec-ops tank-transforming guncannon sort of thing from unicorn?

Funny story, one of the other things I built while on vacation was 20200413-001619.jpg

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    huh so it's sort of both a guncannon and guntank descended design then, neat

BahamutZERO.gif