As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Yes shave september

AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
Hey H/A, how's it going? I've had a beard pretty consistently for the past 5 or so years, and I think I want to give shaving a try again. The thing is, my skin is pretty sensitive, and my hair grows fast. Hence the beard. I've tried lots of different techniques, going with, against and across the grain in various combinations.. I figure I just have to break down and spend some cash on decent razor & products. But what to buy?! Any suggestions, especially if you share my traits of babyskin and Rapunzelhair, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    I'm sharing this advice because it made a world of difference for me when I read about it some years back. It was from one of those listicle things like "10 secrets to a better shave!" and the comment thread was full of people complaining that it was the stupidest thing they'd ever seen and only a moronic caveman could possibly not already know these 10 things.

I didn't, and I'm confident I'm not a moronic caveman, so I'll share here, just in case.

For me, the trick is really doing a thorough job of pre-wetting my face with warm water and then spending extra time really massaging in the shaving gel. Second, I run the razor under really hot water in between applications.

Both these things combined have basically eliminated razor rash for me entirely.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Use trimmers on your beard first don’t just go at it when th a razor.

If you have a good barber, they can give you a good shave as well just to get you started.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    tbh a lot just comes down to the particulars of your own face and skin; you gotta try different tactics and products until you find a combo that works well for you. I would just try and get small bottles or samplers of different cream/aftershave until you find stuff you like using.

the best, low-irritation razor you can get is just a straight up single blade safety razor; you can buy a fancy one if you like but the cheapo plastic ones that come in a bag are almost as good if you only use each one a couple times (plus I don't feel guilty about leaving one in the shower accidentally, etc)

warming/scrubbing your face first is important; the warmer and less covered in gunk your face is, the easier the blade moves and the less irritation you get. I like to shave in a hot shower.

another thing I do if I need a close shave is do it in the evening, then just touch up the next morning. That way your skin has some time to heal overnight if you get a bit of rash somewhere

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    This thread may be useful for you. There isn't much activity now but there is a lot of good past discussion.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/124080/wetshaving-and-safety-razors#latest

• Options
    Thanks guys, especially Blaze, that thread was something I was unsuccessfully searching for. Going by your advice I was right, my technique is good but my tools have sucked. Time to get a safety razor. Gonna take a quick look at the thrift stores before I order one, maybe I'll get lucky.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Thanks guys, especially Blaze, that thread was something I was unsuccessfully searching for. Going by your advice I was right, my technique is good but my tools have sucked. Time to get a safety razor. Gonna take a quick look at the thrift stores before I order one, maybe I'll get lucky.

You can get a single blade safety razor at Target for cheap these days.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I'll recommend safety razors as well.
    I have a big bushy ginger beard and don't shave often so my skin is sensitive like a baby's.
    I went from a Mach whatever fancy disposable to safety and it's been night and day.
    I get a closer and quicker shave for way way cheaper and because you lather up the soap and brush it on your face I feel like you naturally spend a bit more time prepping which means a nicer shave.

I spent about 30 bucks on blades 5 years ago and I still have a couple years of blades left. The handle/razor holder itself takes about 30 seconds to clean whenever I remember.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I'd recommend a pre-shave oil before you soap if you have really sensitive skin. I've also found a shave butter like https://www.target.com/p/van-der-hagen-shave-butter-6-oz/-/A-15704509, a nice convience if I'm shaving right out of the shower anyways, rather than the soap and lather.

My experience is the opposite of drake's, rinse the safety razor with cold water.

Also, buy a styptic pencil, you'll 100% need it at some point.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    My experience is the opposite of drake's, rinse the safety razor with cold water.

That's really interesting - I used cold water for the blade for literally more than a decade before switching, and the hot was so much more comfortable for me I was frankly kind of shocked and felt like an idiot for how long I'd been cutting myself.

Takeaway here certainly sounds like people should try all kinds of things and see what works best.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Thanks y'all, I found a local sharp objects store and got a $17 Rockwell handle and a can of fancy $11 'anti-irritant' shaving cream with a name that sounds like provolone. (I tried a brush and bar ages ago, wasn't much a fan) 5 blades came with the handle so I'll try those for now, and try something else if they don't work for me. Seems to do the trick pretty well so far.

Aridhol you mention 30 seconds of maintenance, what does this entail? I just opened the top, removed the blade, rinsed both and set them on a piece of tp to dry, am I missing anything?

Atheraal on
  • Options
    I do the rinse and I have a hangar to set it on for drying but no matter what I always get soap buildup or stuck hairs so every so often I will soak it for a minute or so in warm water and a splash of vinegar and then do a little scrub with a toothbrush.
    Brings it back good as new.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    shaving cream with a name that sounds like provolone.

That would be Proraso. I like their aftershave but haven't tried the soaps/creams they make.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    There's a lot of anecdotal stuff when it comes to shaving. Make sure you experiment with different blades and creams/soaps/oils to find what works best for your skin.

My biggest recommendation is to make sure you completely dry the blade and handle after you're done and you've rinsed everything out. The blades last longer and the handles wear better if they are left dry.

For me personally, I get better results when I wash my face in the shower, then shave afterward. The hair is easier to shave and doesn't fight as much, plus your skin is a bit more forgiving. What has helped me a lot for nicks, is to turn the faucet water to full-cold after shaving, and splashing it on my face and neck. This causes the pores to close and often stops small nicks from bleeding. Some larger cuts will still bleed (often when I'm shaving for the first time with a new blade), but this method certainly reduces the number of

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I switched from disposable multi-blade razors to safety razors, so if you decide to go down that road:

I highly recommend getting a sampler pack of blades and a sampler pack of soaps. Also consider getting a pre-shave oil or similar product and an aftershave or moisturizer. I found the pre-shave oil in particular helpful when starting out. People's faces and hair thicknesses are different, so you'll need to experiment to find a combination that works for you. If you go for a solid soap, you'll want to also get a badger-hair brush for application. If you use a cream, you don't need the brush if you don't want to bother. Also agreed with getting a styptic pen. There will be that one time when you're tired and in a hurry and not paying attention when you'll manage to nick yourself but good, and a styptic pen is invaluable then.

In terms of general approach, I shower (hot water), then immediately shave with hot water (splashing my face with hot water while the sink fills to keep the pores open and letting the razor sit in the hot water). I wet the cream by simply putting it on my hand and letting my hand sit in the hot sink water for maybe 20 seconds, then apply. Repeat until face is covered and shave normally. Like the others above, I finish by splashing with cold water to clean the soap off and close the pores.

Most of it comes down to finding the combination of razor + shaving cream/soap and technique that works for your hair.

Something to be aware of if you do a lot of travel is that DE razor blades are not allowed in carry-on baggage. I've never been called out on it on a domestic flight, but the people running security in Japan noticed and confiscated them (very apologetically of course). If you have the option, I highly recommend checking them and having a backup disposable razor just in case.

Re: letting the razor be wet or dry for storage. I haven't seen any difference on longevity when I dry them off vs. when I don't. That said, I'm sure there are razors that don't use quite as stainless steel. It's very much YMMV.

Cleaning: some soaps lead to buildup on the razor (e.g. Proraso), others don't (e.g. Cremo Creme). Since the razor itself I'm replacing regularly, I only bother cleaning the soap scum off when it starts building up in the guard. Simple warm water and a toothpick is enough for cleaning out the guard and then I go about my day.

• Options
    The advice for getting a blade/soap sample pack is spot on. Took me a while to settle on "Feather" blades as my preference so see what works for you and your face/other bits.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    1. Water as hot as you can stand to pre-wet your face thoroughly (this opens your pores and softens the hair)
    2. Non-alcohol based shaving cream or lotion rubbed in well
    3. Use a simple razor, stay away from those mega-blade monstrosities because they can cause irritation
    4. I shave my face downwards and my neck upwards
    5. When finished, rinse your face with water as cold as you can stand (this closes up the pores again)

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Re: travelling with razors. In my experience it varies depending on who you end up with at the airport checkpoint. Some TSA agents don't do anything, others will confiscate the blades.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I try to avoid plugging my wife’s company around here but if you’re still experimenting with what works you might want to give Lush a try. They have a number of excellent shaving products and are happy to provide free samples.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Use trimmers on your beard first don’t just go at it when th a razor.

This can't be emphasised enough. Razors aren't designed to cut long-ish hair. They will snag, chafe, cut, etc. The easiest way to go from beard to nothing is to use an electric trimmer on your face (taking care to not be rough around sensitive areas (under the nose, under the neck)). This will bring you to the 5 o' clock shadow stage, which is what traditional razors are designed to deal with.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I try to avoid plugging my wife’s company around here but if you’re still experimenting with what works you might want to give Lush a try. They have a number of excellent shaving products and are happy to provide free samples.
    I want to make a joke about you being married to Liz Weir but you could be so I wont...

• Options
    Low key, @Quid is actually best-selling author Andy Weir. (no he isn't)

(.....maybe)

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Low key, @Quid is actually best-selling author Andy Weir. (no he isn't)

(.....maybe)

Nope. Not British.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    this is timely as i've gone clean shaven the other day for the first time in well over a year

but like, i've basically only ever used an electric razor in... i dunno 10 years

i supposed i should try out this proper shaving business

poo
  • Options
    this is timely as i've gone clean shaven the other day for the first time in well over a year

but like, i've basically only ever used an electric razor in... i dunno 10 years

i supposed i should try out this proper shaving business

Is your skin sensitive?

Growing up poor, my mom bought the Bic disposable single blade razors. I remember the first few times using shaving cream as a pre-teen. Then I just started shaving immediately from the shower before drying off with nothing but water. I dry shave when I actually shave because my skin is lizard at this point.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    I dunno

But it’s irritated a lot today from the electric one

poo
  • Options
    This is the best tutorial I've found, even though it's nearly a decade old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qSIP6uQ3EI

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I like wet shaving, the warm lather and that, but as far as using a safety razor it's too much hassle and it doesn't actually get close enough. I just don't want to focus on technique at all. But the nice brush and the good lather make up a good majority of making shaving a nice and enjoyable experience.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    honestly the only thing that really helped/prevented razor burn for me, even with a good blade and prep was a small dab of neosporin around where I get razor burn (basically a line extending on both sides of my adam's apple)

• Options
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I like wet shaving, the warm lather and that, but as far as using a safety razor it's too much hassle and it doesn't actually get close enough. I just don't want to focus on technique at all. But the nice brush and the good lather make up a good majority of making shaving a nice and enjoyable experience.

I never got a close enough shave until I started two-passing with a safety razor (one across the grain; one against the grain to pick up what was missed)

• Options
    Yeah, so far the safety razor has been great for me. In the past when I first started shaving again after having a beard for a while, I'd have intense irritation for th first week or two, followed by ongoing mild irritation for as long as I kept shaving. The safety razor/cream combo I got seems to avoid that completely, and also gives me an incredibly smooth close shave if I do a couple passes. Thanks again for all the advice, everyone!

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Safety razor shaving is done in several passes. If you're used to just dragging some four bladed monstrosity across your face, it will feel strange that you basically shave with the grain, against the grain and then go back for problem spots thoroughly lathering between each pass. It takes getting used to, but once you know your face it really doesn't take long. It does sort of suck that you really need to soften the hair with a hot shower or shaving oil before you get to it, so if you can't get into a routine with a brief window of time for prep it makes things harder. I'd say at this point it takes me maybe 10 minutes to do a quick shave, when I first started it was around 20-30 minutes. Any sort of cuts I get are because I went over a blemish or something, whereas the razor burn and cuts I got before were my hairs snagging on one of the many blades and then a following blade in the pass cutting it off well below the skin.

I shower, use jojoba oil on my face, lather up and then shave and it's kind of become a comforting routine. Don't start out with a hyper aggressive setup and overly sharp blades. I have a pretty average Merkur and some pretty basic Personna Blades and I'm perfectly content.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Safety razor shaving is done in several passes. If you're used to just dragging some four bladed monstrosity across your face, it will feel strange that you basically shave with the grain, against the grain and then go back for problem spots thoroughly lathering between each pass. It takes getting used to, but once you know your face it really doesn't take long. It does sort of suck that you really need to soften the hair with a hot shower or shaving oil before you get to it, so if you can't get into a routine with a brief window of time for prep it makes things harder. I'd say at this point it takes me maybe 10 minutes to do a quick shave, when I first started it was around 20-30 minutes. Any sort of cuts I get are because I went over a blemish or something, whereas the razor burn and cuts I got before were my hairs snagging on one of the many blades and then a following blade in the pass cutting it off well below the skin.

I shower, use jojoba oil on my face, lather up and then shave and it's kind of become a comforting routine. Don't start out with a hyper aggressive setup and overly sharp blades. I have a pretty average Merkur and some pretty basic Personna Blades and I'm perfectly content.

The bolded part, I only get irritated skin when I rush, because I just give it several passes quickly in order to get possibly missed spots, and the beard is not "wet" wet, like when you let the soap rest for a minute.

I found that the electric shaver is good when you just need to baby-fy your already well shaved face and you are in a rush, better than hasitly scrapping a blade through your face at 6am.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    My suggestion to anyone getting into safety razors or other "alternative" shaving methods is that take all advice and practices with a grain of salt. Everyone's face/facial hair is unique and it may take a bit of experimentation to find what works for you.

For example, I can do a daily shave without needing a shower beforehand and I typically only do one pass (different from dispatch.o).

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Am I the only one that shaves in the shower? I just shave while I'm showering. I used a 7-blade monstrosity 6 + mustache and it does the trick.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    My oldest friend, who never grows a beard, shaves in the shower, on top of brushing his teeth. Weirdo :P

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Ew. Big fat no on brushing my teeth in the shower. But basically you're in a constant state of lather/lubrication due to the stream of water, soap, and steam in the shower so it just makes sense to me. Someone mentioned it to me like 15 years ago and since then I've rarely shaved outside of a shower.

I can shave and thoroughly cleanse myself in about 10 minutes.

Of course, that's going to clean shaven. If I had to shape a beard, I would do that in front of a person yelling directions at me or a mirror but I prefer the former.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    I still like to use a mirror, so I don't shave in the shower. Also, call me weird, but I consider it a waste of water, only because of the way I tend to shave (and I understand everyone is different).

Yes, I know there are antifog mirrors made specifically for mounting in a shower. I do not own one.