As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragon Quest] XI-S on Xbox, Gamepass and PC soon

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Dang the hero of DQ5 has simultaneously the best and worst luck

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    I think the DQV hero has the worst Luck stat out of all DQ MCs from games that have said stat.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    V probably has the best party out of all of them. Sure, I like Angelo and Yangus, and all the other members across the games. But V is especially great. Some mild spoilers on who they are:
    Being able to have a party consisting of The Hero (well not really), His Wife, his Daughter, and his Son (the actual real prophesied hero) is just great. And the party chat makes it better. Because there's a moment in the final dungeon where you can talk to them, and your daughter will ask her daddy if he can hold her hand while they travel through the spooky dungeon.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Anyone have any tips on how I should class change in DQIII? Currently, I have a thief, soldier, and cleric, as well as the sage book.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    You can eventually get a second Sage book, so don't feel like the one you have is like, the biggest most important decision in the game ever.

Thieves don't do much. By that token, neither do Merchants, but you can have one character learn ALL the skills from all the jobs and then final class change them into a Sage. It's not recommended, but it does eventually make a very useful character.

Soldier can equip all of the best weapons and if they're female, all the best armor. Soldier is probably the one class I would just leave as they are. Sage your Cleric, and if you're tired of your thief, make them a Wizard, and then make them Sage #2.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Can't remember if they let you reclass as the same class, but if they do you might want to start the soldier from level 1 again instead of keeping as they are, due to the boost in starting stats every time you reclass.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Can't remember if they let you reclass as the same class, but if they do you might want to start the soldier from level 1 again instead of keeping as they are, due to the boost in starting stats every time you reclass.

Just checked. You cannot do this.
    You can eventually get a second Sage book, so don't feel like the one you have is like, the biggest most important decision in the game ever.

Thieves don't do much. By that token, neither do Merchants, but you can have one character learn ALL the skills from all the jobs and then final class change them into a Sage. It's not recommended, but it does eventually make a very useful character.

Soldier can equip all of the best weapons and if they're female, all the best armor. Soldier is probably the one class I would just leave as they are. Sage your Cleric, and if you're tired of your thief, make them a Wizard, and then make them Sage #2.

I've heard that wizards are pretty fragile, which might make Baramos's lair trouble. Also that I should wait to get the AoE heal before class changing my cleric.

Maybe I should keep my party makeup until I get the 2nd book. At that point, My cleric will have the heal, and I can easily grind a wizard to 20.

Edit: Kinda wish I had my soldier start as a fighter. Then he'd have higher agility. C'est la vie.

Edit 2: Also, anything I should pick up while I have the change staff?

Zython on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I can’t say that any DQ characters are particular favourites of mine - as much as I appreciate the stories and characters, I don’t really identify with any of them the way I do characters in other games - but I do really appreciate all the positive family dynamics displayed in the games.

And in general I just really appreciate how bright and positive they manage to remain even when the story turns quite dark. And having such colourful environments is especially appreciated; it seems like such a rarity in games!

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of Serena, but that's because I don't like how healers are always given really passive/soft spoken personalities in a lot of RPGs. It's kind of a tired steroetype.

We need more Doctor Cottle healers in JRPG's.

• Options
    Zython wrote: »

Just checked. You cannot do this.

I've heard that wizards are pretty fragile, which might make Baramos's lair trouble. Also that I should wait to get the AoE heal before class changing my cleric.

Maybe I should keep my party makeup until I get the 2nd book. At that point, My cleric will have the heal, and I can easily grind a wizard to 20.

Edit: Kinda wish I had my soldier start as a fighter. Then he'd have higher agility. C'est la vie.

Edit 2: Also, anything I should pick up while I have the change staff?

What version of DQ3 are playing? Mobile? Does the mobile version have the different moods/temperaments for the characters, or was that a SNES remake exclusive feature?

• Options
    I'd assume the mobile version would have the personality mechanic as it's based on the SNES remake.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Finally finished the game last night. (95-99th level, all main objectives done, don't care about the small quests i didnt do). I finally can take the game out of my PS4 and move on to Valk Chronicals 4.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    DQ3:

Don't forget Jokers (or whatever they are called now) can change into Sages without the book. So you can make anyone a Sage as long as you make them a Joker, grind them to 20, then switch to Sage.

• Options
    I finished the game last night!

I mentioned that my kids have been watching me play... my 6 year old is easily distracted and hasn’t been super into it, but my 3 year has been watching it intently, and as he has a long nap during the day he goes to bed late and has been able to stay up to watch as much as possible.

Well... he cried bitterly when it ended, because it was over. Which I thought was super sweet and sums up how I feel when I complete a good game.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    It's a very pretty game. I love the cell shading animation. honestly it probably got me through the parts i didnt like.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I'm an utter sucker mark for cell shaded Toriyama graphics. This, the other DQ games, and the various DBZ games. These are the graphics that make my jaw drop, and not the hyper realism angle of other games like RDR2 for example.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I'm stuck again. Does anyone have any tips for beating:
    the boss lady in Phnom Nonh, in the demon dimension beyond the stone mural? She casts 'beguile' (like a confusion status effect) (or maybe it's an ability) and my whole party starts attacking one another.
    Is there some sort of accessory(s) that I'm missing?

• Options
    Woo! I beat Dragon Quest III. My first Dagron Quest! While I can't say it's my all-time favorite, it's definitely held up VERY well for a 30 year old JRPG. I'm definitely interested in what the other games have to offer now. Especially if they go a little heavier in the story.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I'm stuck again. Does anyone have any tips for beating:
    the boss lady in Phnom Nonh, in the demon dimension beyond the stone mural? She casts 'beguile' (like a confusion status effect) (or maybe it's an ability) and my whole party starts attacking one another.
    Is there some sort of accessory(s) that I'm missing?

I might have gotten lucky with that boss, because I didn't get hit by status effects that I can recall. That said...
    You can buy Protective Pendants from the shop for 2000 gold in Phnom Nohn, or craft them from a recipe you find in the L'Academie. Upgrade it to 3* and it has 25% beguilement resistance. Equip two and those will probably be your best odds to defend against unlucky landings of that effect.
    Woo! I beat Dragon Quest III. My first Dagron Quest! While I can't say it's my all-time favorite, it's definitely held up VERY well for a 30 year old JRPG. I'm definitely interested in what the other games have to offer now. Especially if they go a little heavier in the story.

Dragon Quest IV, V and VI both have what I would say, the right amount of plot going for them. Dragon Quest VII has a lot of story. I was getting into it on the 3DS, but stopped somewhere along the way and haven't picked it back up.

• Options

Dragon Quest IV, V and VI both have what I would say, the right amount of plot going for them. Dragon Quest VII has a lot of story. I was getting into it on the 3DS, but stopped somewhere along the way and haven't picked it back up.

From what I've heard, it's a fantastic 60 hour game that lasts about 110 hours. I'm probably going to get it, too (even though I have it on PS1 already). Still can't decide if I should get the 3DS version of DQVIII or stick with the PS2 version I have.

• Options
    DQVIII is a tough call. Personally the 3DS version's portability, QoL improvements carried over from the mobile version, and added content made up for the worse visuals and music.

• Options
    I’ve not played the PS2 version of VIII, but from everything I have read I think the story elements they added to the 3DS version were very much needed.

And VII does have a lot of story - I remember relying on guides the most with that game to avoid frustration.

Aah now that I’ve finished XI I’d really like to play III, but last time I tried to play on mobile I found the controls too annoying...

• Options
    Horribly late, but I've only just now reached the postgame.
    I already knew what the "twist" was. But I wasn't expecting them to really go all in on the time travel. Everybody was equipped with what they had at the time, and I didn't even notice at first that they were all the same levels as well.

Just... why is the hero not saying a damn word about anything? I really got the feeling that if you could convince any group of people that you're suddenly from the future, it would be this party. Getting Hendrick on board would be slightly tricky, but that's about it. Everybody else would believe him. "You came from the future to stop it from ever happening? Fuck, you're the Luminary, I believe ya!". Being silent and letting Yggdrasil play out was one thing. I can see the strategy in not blowing the lid right there. But now Mordegon has "revealed" himself because he was stupid enough to do the red eye thing and the party conveniently entered the room to witness it. "Oh no! Is the king being possessed?" Yes! Say something you mute asshole, you know exactly what's going on.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I already knew what the "twist" was. But I wasn't expecting them to really go all in on the time travel. Everybody was equipped with what they had at the time, and I didn't even notice at first that they were all the same levels as well.

Just... why is the hero not saying a damn word about anything? I really got the feeling that if you could convince any group of people that you're suddenly from the future, it would be this party. Getting Hendrick on board would be slightly tricky, but that's about it. Everybody else would believe him. "You came from the future to stop it from ever happening? Fuck, you're the Luminary, I believe ya!". Being silent and letting Yggdrasil play out was one thing. I can see the strategy in not blowing the lid right there. But now Mordegon has "revealed" himself because he was stupid enough to do the red eye thing and the party conveniently entered the room to witness it. "Oh no! Is the king being possessed?" Yes! Say something you mute asshole, you know exactly what's going on.
    Oh yea they didn't really give 2 shits about any of that making sense. There's a few scenes from that part of the game that are pretty damn frustrating because there is just no reason they should be playing out the way they do even in the simple fluffy light cartoony story they are going for.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

Oh yea they didn't really give 2 shits about any of that making sense. There's a few scenes from that part of the game that are pretty damn frustrating because there is just no reason they should be playing out the way they do even in the simple fluffy light cartoony story they are going for.

Shypox is a hell of a thing.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Act 2: While travelling from Angri-La to Phnom Nom, I met
    Sylvando in probably the campiest and funniest scene I’ve ever seen in a video game! :lol:

Then I pressed X and now I am running around in ostrich feathers shaking my butt and waving my arm ALL THE TIME. :lol:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Act 2: While travelling from Angri-La to Phnom Nom, I met
    Sylvando in probably the campiest and funniest scene I’ve ever seen in a video game! :lol:

Then I pressed X and now I am running around in ostrich feathers shaking my butt and waving my arm ALL THE TIME. :lol:

You probably figured it out, already, but...
    You can't run in that costume. You can always unequip it, but it's basically the best costume ever. Also, forge it to +3 as it'll be useful for a sidequest later.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Act 2 spoiler:
    Yeesh, did they get a number wrong when they were programming Parallax? That ability hits way harder than it has any right to.

• Options
    http://www.siliconera.com/2018/11/14/japanese-dragon-quest-builders-2-demo-arrives-on-december-6-2018/

Dragon Quest Builders 2 demo for Japanese Switch and PS4 accounts will be available for download on December 6th.

I really need to go back and finish the first game.

• Options
    I can finally put this beast to bed with the platinum trophy. I was crazy enough to forge every possible item up to +3. But then I looked at the rest of the accolades to get, and noped out of that, so yeah, we done.
    I'm assuming that very last scene is the intro to III, making this a distant prequel. I don't really know much about III, but I thought near the end you got transported to a "dark" world that wasn't really evil, just... different. And that world turned out to be the world from I and II, and the one that invented the whole "Erdrick" legend. It's just weird that the legend started earlier, and somehow crossed worlds? I mean whatever though, it doesn't matter at all. This is Zelda timeline bullshit here and it doesn't matter. The whole thing was great. The only thing that I felt kind of bad about was when they were doing the retrospective through the games during the credits. And thanks to the series never really taking off here, I could feel it trying to tug on nostalgic heartstrings that just weren't there. But that's my problem, not the game. I just wish I could have felt that too. Instead when the DQI overworld music started playing, I just said "Huh... neat!".

Altogether an amazing game.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Wow, the final puff-puff sure was impressive :eek: :+1:

At the end of Act 2, I defeated the guardian in front of the castle and thought: “How long can it be to push through to the end?”

<spongebob> 3 hours later... </spongebob>

OK, Act 2 done! :biggrin:

61% of the trophies completed :eek: :rotate:

Corporal Carl on
    PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I have a question. I've been playing Dragon Quest 11 over the holidays, and I have "beaten" the game:
    I beat Mordegon after forging a new Sword of Light, and now there is a postgame sequence where I can go back in time to before Yggdrasil fell to potentially change history? I tried doing it and saving in a different save file, and it seems that with the exception of the Luminary and having all of the items/equipment I had before the time jump, everyone else is back to where they were at this point in the game.

My question is, how much more game is there here? Did I really beat it like I think, or is there a whole other act if I follow through on this? Also, do I need to complete any side quests that are available before doing the time jump?

Thanks in advance.

Xerink on
    PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • Options
    Xerink wrote: »
    I have a question. I've been playing Dragon Quest 11 over the holidays, and I have "beaten" the game:
    I beat Mordegon after forging a new Sword of Light, and now there is a postgame sequence where I can go back in time to before Yggdrasil fell to potentially change history? I tried doing it and saving in a different save file, and it seems that with the exception of the Luminary and having all of the items/equipment I had before the time jump, everyone else is back to where they were at this point in the game.

My question is, how much more game is there here? Did I really beat it like I think, or is there a whole other act if I follow through on this? Also, do I need to complete any side quests that are available before doing the time jump?

Thanks in advance.
    It's less a "postgame" and more a straight up final chapter. The game and plot are not over, not in the slightest.

There's nothing missable at all. Like two optional little cutscenes and the ability to talk to all the NPC's in the world about how the world is saved, if such a thing matters to you. But no gameplay downside to going back in time. Your party will even get their levels back shortly. All sidequests and items are still available in one form or another. All things considered, it's shocking how fair and well designed everything is. Nothing is missable, at all.

• Options
    Xerink wrote: »

Thanks in advance.
    There's like, 2 or 3 little cutscenes you can see, but they're not story-driven. Just a little extra something to do/see before you go back in time to fix things.

The post-game act, for story purposes, is actually pretty short, but you can easily spend another 10-20 hours here getting to level 99, maxing out skill trees, doing the post-game dungeon a few times for the final recipes and end-game crafting materials. There's new Harma trials in Angri-La. There's also a true final boss.

• Options
    XerinkXerink Registered User regular
    Thanks for the info, guys! I guess I'm not done with the game quite yet and Spiderman will have to wait a little longer.

(Really, my backlog for PS4 games is horrifically long, and with KH3 and RE2make coming out this month I really shouldn't be calling out specific games like this. They are all going to be sitting on the shelf for a while longer.)

PSN: darkhart0
    3DS FC: 2234-7230-2712
    Battle.net: Kriese#1709
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah I didn't do the post-game myself. I know that it's not "complete" but damn it I saw the credits. If I get the itch to play it again I'll go through it in the future. Other games await my time!

• Options
    WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I didn't do the post-game myself. I know that it's not "complete" but damn it I saw the credits. If I get the itch to play it again I'll go through it in the future. Other games await my time!

After beating the true final boss you get the credits again, this time with some amazing callbacks to the whole DQ franchise.

So if you are a DQ fan in general, I would absolutely go back and do the post-game. If you looked at DQ12 as a stand-alone JRPG it's not as important, since you won't be connected to what the post-game credits are showing you.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    In case you missed it:

The latest rumor suggests Erdrick will join Smash Bros Ultimate as a DLC fighter.

https://www.twingalaxies.com/feed_details.php/4065/erdrick-of-dragon-quest-leaked-as-new-super-smash-bros-ultimate-dlc-character

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I'm trying to think of a suitable example in other media, and nothing really fits. Mulling it over a bit, the nearest and best example I can use would probably be Infinity War, if you saw that and then say "Welp, story's over, I don't really need to see Endgame now". You're... not wrong. But there is more crucial plot ahead.

Some fairly medium ending spoilers for XI ahead:
    I wonder what they'd do when it comes to a character model and name if the Smash rumor is true. The last 30 seconds of the ending reuse DQIII's "twist", that your character becomes "Erdrick", the whole game is a massive prequel to the I/II/III trilogy, and is the story that actually inspired the Erdrick legend for III. I wonder how much of that is an open spoiler now, because they'd certainly spoil it if they use XI's character model and call him "Erdrick".

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea calling it post-game doesn't really fit either.

It's not post-game content.

It's just chapter 3.