As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Natural Disasters] Talk About Your Heavy Weather Here

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Try again, please. Temps have to drop below 60 or I'm never going to get any sleep.

I mean like, why? That's basically hypothermia cold.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Chimera wrote: »
    Try again, please. Temps have to drop below 60 or I'm never going to get any sleep.

60K, not 60F

Santa Claustrophobia is actually a liquid nitrogen cooled supercomputer housed under the North Pole.

...Though I'm not sure if they knew that. Oops.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Nah, I'm with him. Drop the temperature because then I can use blankets. And I need blankets to sleep.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Nah, I'm with him. Drop the temperature because then I can use blankets. And I need blankets to sleep.

And puppers

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

I would agree with him. Once the outside temp drops into the 50s/40s open the window up and its hibernation time. It does make the trip to the shower in the morning a bit ouchy but it helps wake you up.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Mmmm puppers. <3

Dude!

I know the flooding is bad and you aren't sure what to do with your pets, but don't eat them!

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular

Sure looks like we will have a medicane sooner than later! Just in time for my boss to take a two week long trip to Italy! :P

@Chimera I haven't been following the medicanes as hard. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this system was the one that caused flooding in Tunisia, correct? (Some places received half their annual rainfall in a day.) Now there's one that's about to hit the Greek islands and Turkey (which will probably mean a lot of deadly landslides, considering how hard those areas got burned this summer).

Is this a different system, or is it the same disturbance moving east? And was the flooding in Tunisia related or something else?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Kevin update: It's up for auction with 100% of proceeds going to Red Cross with designation to help victims of Hurricane Florence.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Well good news, the upper midwest is getting it's first freeze of the year tonight. Predicted to be mid 30's tonight here.

THE MOSQUITOES ARE DEAD! HALLELUJAH!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    honovere on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

It’s horrifying. The buildings on the coast never stood a chance. Nor anyone in them. Awful.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    https://weatherwest.com/archives/6476

Link goes to a weather blog, but the tl;Dr for this thread is that the remnants of Hurricane Rosa are heading towards AZ and will likely cause flooding over there. Treat this more as a PSA for the locals because rain like this hitting AZ is rare, at the least.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Rain from Rosa (and in adjacent regions), in chart form for the next week:

gfs-ens_apcpn_wus_28.png

Also at the rate rain keeps falling here in eastern Iowa, I'm starting to think the flooding Cedar River (among others) will never go down. But fear not! The governor's office is working on changing the definitions of flooding in this region, so the river can rise without anyone being told that it's a flood! Then they can keep delaying funding flood protection for Cedar Rapids!

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Well good news, the upper midwest is getting it's first freeze of the year tonight. Predicted to be mid 30's tonight here.

THE MOSQUITOES ARE DEAD! HALLELUJAH!

Praise jeebus the last couple times I mowed the lawn I got some serious nasty welts all over from the man eating mosquitos this year.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    It's always a little amazing how "sheltered" Los Angeles is on a macro weather scale. Everything goes around us and I hate it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    It's always a little amazing how "sheltered" Los Angeles is on a macro weather scale. Everything goes around us and I hate it.

My wife and I have been living here for a year, and she's looking forward to seeing rain again when we move out.

We still haven't felt an earthquake, despite there having been several minor ones.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

My wife and I have been living here for a year, and she's looking forward to seeing rain again when we move out.

We still haven't felt an earthquake, despite there having been several minor ones.

Have you forgotten what lightning looks like yet?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

I had a sunshower yesterday that I'm pretty sure was only in my backyard.

I have felt like 2 real earthquakes in the 30 years I've been here (I slept through Northridge)

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

Have you forgotten what lightning looks like yet?

Back in July I heard a loud noise outside and wondered what it was. I knew what it sounded like, but I figured it was more likely to be something else, like construction equipment rolling down the side of a hill. My wife was at work and heard it too and texted me with "Was that thunder?!"

It was trending on twitter with a hashtag and everything. Here's a random tweet from that day:

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Los Angelinos freaking out about thunder is adorable.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    CQlZPp5l.jpg

When it rains in LA, lock your door and don't go outside.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

I had a sunshower yesterday that I'm pretty sure was only in my backyard.

I have felt like 2 real earthquakes in the 30 years I've been here (I slept through Northridge)

I could see rain from the 405 while I was out driving yesterday but never ran into it.

I've felt exactly one earthquake since I moved out here 3 years ago, it was a nice undulation not unlike being on a boat in mildly choppy water.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I've lived here a few years now, and every earthquake I felt was like a giant came up and kicked the house once.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Here's your current natural disasters headlines:

-Indonesian quake & tsunami death toll rises to 800+ and is expected to keep rising.
    -Tropical Storm Rosa will bring rare tropical moisture to Arizona this week, triggering dangerous flash floods.
    -Severe weather possible in the plains this weekend, especially near the NE/KS boarder on Sunday.
    -Rosa's remnant moisture will bring a lot of fresh early season powder to the higher elevations of Colorado and help dent the drought.
    -Korea and Japan in the path of Super Typhoon Kong-Rey after Japan recovers from their latest typhoon in what has been a busy season for them.
    -Uninhabited Johnston Atoll to take a close miss or direct hit by a category 5 storm, Hurricane Walaka before the storm moves out to open waters for good.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I live in Oklahoma, we feel earthquakes about once or twice a month here. Sometimes they cause minimal damage. The biggest I've been in was a 5.8 but all of our quakes are super shallow and typically the effects are more pronounced with them than one of the same magnitude in an area like the San Andres Fault. Some days we get quakes and tornadoes on the same day, we call those times a quakenado! :D

lsepausxklo0.jpg
    py9now8mqw4d.png

Chimera on
  • Options
    Yeah, the uptick is almost definitely caused by fracking, correct?

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

Sooooooooooooooorta. Fracking alone wouldn't cause the quakes. It is the waste water injection wells we use to dispose of the toxic byproducts that cause the quakes, and that only happens when they are forced into a cavity of a dead well that has compressed due to being empty for so long, or because it lubricates dead faults and reactivates them. A long time ago Oklahoma was incredibly seismically active and today Oklahoma is the site of a failed continental rift. Places like North Dakota do not have the same number of quakes that we do thanks to being seismically inert in comparison.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    We get feelable quakes so often that my cats don't even react to them anymore. It's like they think that the building shaking is just a normal thing that happens just like when it thunders outside. Thunder is another thing that no-longer scares my cats.

Chimera on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    -Korea and Japan in the path of Super Typhoon Kong-Rey after Japan recovers from their latest typhoon in what has been a busy season for them.

We seem to have a bit of a mixup here. Godzilla is supposed to wreck Tokyo. King Kong is supposed to go after New York.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

-Indonesian quake & tsunami death toll rises to 800+ and is expected to keep rising.
    -Tropical Storm Rosa will bring rare tropical moisture to Arizona this week, triggering dangerous flash floods.
    -Severe weather possible in the plains this weekend, especially near the NE/KS boarder on Sunday.
    -Rosa's remnant moisture will bring a lot of fresh early season powder to the higher elevations of Colorado and help dent the drought.
    -Uninhabited Johnston Atoll to take a close miss or direct hit by a category 5 storm, Hurricane Walaka before the storm moves out to open waters for good.

Last report I read had the death toll in Indonesia at 1200 and still rising.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Sooooooooooooooorta. Fracking alone wouldn't cause the quakes. It is the waste water injection wells we use to dispose of the toxic byproducts that cause the quakes, and that only happens when they are forced into a cavity of a dead well that has compressed due to being empty for so long, or because it lubricates dead faults and reactivates them. A long time ago Oklahoma was incredibly seismically active and today Oklahoma is the site of a failed continental rift. Places like North Dakota do not have the same number of quakes that we do thanks to being seismically inert in comparison.

It's shocking to know that the Wichita Mountains used to be huge and are very old.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

They're still hearing trapped people.
    And they've switched to evacuation mode for the rest of the coast.

It's bad. Like, real bad.

The tsunami from this was expected, but not as big as it was. It was the wrong type of quake to cause a wall of water that big.

Or so we all thought.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Well my flight to Korea on the 6th may have gotten more interesting

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

They're still hearing trapped people.
    And they've switched to evacuation mode for the rest of the coast.

It's bad. Like, real bad.

The tsunami from this was expected, but not as big as it was. It was the wrong type of quake to cause a wall of water that big.

Or so we all thought.

A lot of why the wave was so bad has to do with the topography of the bay and the town. The earthquake, judging by the motion tensor and the long skinny area that experienced the worst shaking along the fault, was likely a transform quake and an exceptionally strong on for that type. While that kind normally doesn't cause tsunamis since it fails to make the sea floor rise or fall much, this quake did cause a number of very large land slides on the island and it is just as likely that there were ones on the sharp rising sea floors. It is likely this that caused the tsunami and as the wave headed into Palu Bay the long, shallow, skinny profile of the bay combined with the 90 degrees to the mouth of the bay motion of the wave caused its amplitude to rise exponentially with devastating effect.

The same thing happens with respect to storm surge in a hurricane and its why some areas along the same beach can see much worse surge or waves than others in an event like this or a hurricane. Interesting note, while surge does not have the forward speed and force of a tsunami, it does similar things. Negative surge with wind coming off the shore can actually drain a bay like the lead up to a tsunami, and the water rushing onto land in storm surge (while much slower than a tsunami's jet airliner speed) in a similar way. This is why water, not wind, does more damage and kills more people in a hurricane and why we evacuate for it. It is not just a normal flood, it is more like a less forceful, slower moving tsunami.

Look at the damage photos below. One is from a tsunami, the other from storm surge. Can you tell them apart?

cv7x1893stt6.jpg
    dtmlw8si304x.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2018
    The area that took the brunt of the shaking, Donggala Regency, has a population of nearly 300,000 people in it and has little to no communication after the quake with the central government. This has not been for a lack of trying and so the death toll from this quake will likely continue to rise sharply.

Palu, the town that took the wave, also had very large landslides by the airport that are not being well covered by the international media and this area was outside of the worst shaking so you can imagine what the rest of Donggala must be like. The much smaller quake in Japan earlier in September caused an insane number of slides (seen as the brown patches on the hills in the picture below) so you can only imagine what a magnitude 7.5 quake at a very shallow depth of 10km could have caused. The USGS shake map shows that it would have had effects of a an 9 on their instrumental intensity scale.

0lgxxv6sr9a6.png

Chimera on
  • Options
    It appears the tsunami buoys tasked with protecting Palu, which has been hit by two tsunamis since the 1920's, have not worked for 6 years. Combine that with the fact that the brunt of the wave was sent towards Palu and not out at sea, where the working buoys only recorded a 6cm wave, you had the perfect storm for what caused many to get caught off guard by the wave. It also likely didn't have the big drawbacks of water from the bay before the first wave arrived.

Because of the lack of data locally the federal government there lifted the tsunami warnings after 36 minutes from the time the quake happened. Depending on the point of generation there is a chance that the waves came just after the warning was lifted.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    So how smug was the dude whos house was still standing?

"Don't pay for the extra engineering and materials they said. It'll just blow down anyways they said."

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Well my flight to Korea on the 6th may have gotten more interesting

Lucky you it will only be a cat 1 by that time and weakening.

q4ftyp1qtack.gif

This discussion has been closed.