As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
edited August 2022 in Games and Technology
Ye olde thread.

And if you're just joining us, this is where we collectively discuss those little plug 'n play consoles that come with a collection of games that hook straight up to your telly-vee, no fuss, no muss.

Incidentally, this isn't really for stuff like fourth-party clone consoles like Retron 5 and whatnot -- that better fits this lovely thread here. And I don't think we can even start talking about flaky pastry dishes using berries from the Rubus genus.

So, what've we got here? We've got...

3pwpilbe9nss.png

The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition -- available now! I don't mean it's just been released, I mean you can actually go into a store and potentially buy one now!

ezno2na3kwd3.jpg

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition, featuring the never-before-released Star Fox 2, as well as the original Star Fox and Yoshi's Island, two Super FX Chip-based Super NES games that were never released on Virtual Console.

More recently, there's:

gzoisdkn2p19.jpg

The NEOGEO Mini, which, while providing its own screen, can plug into a television, so it totally counts.

It contains the following 40 titles (in all caps, because that's now SNK NEOGEO rolls):
1.THE KING OF FIGHTERS '94
2.THE KING OF FIGHTERS '95
3.THE KING OF FIGHTERS '96
4.THE KING OF FIGHTERS '97
5.THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98
6.THE KING OF FIGHTERS '99
7.THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2000
8.THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2001
9.THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2002
10.THE KING OF FIGHTERS 2003
11.SAMURAI SHODOWN II
12.SAMURAI SHODOWN IV
13.SAMURAI SHODOWN V SPECIAL
14.FATAL FURY SPECIAL
15.REAL BOUT FATAL FURY
16.REAL BOUT FATAL FURY 2
17.GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES
18.WORLD HEROES PERFECT
19.KIZUNA ENCOUNTER
20.ART OF FIGHTING
21.THE LAST BLADE
22.THE LAST BLADE 2
23.NINJA MASTER'S
24.AGGRESSORS OF DARK KOMBAT
25.KING OF THE MONSTERS 2
26.CYBER-LIP
27.SHOCK TROOPERS 2ND SQUAD
28.TOP HUNTER RODDY & CATHY
29.NINJA COMMANDO
30.BURNING FIGHT
31.METAL SLUG
32.METAL SLUG 2
33.METAL SLUG 3
34.SENGOKU3
35.ALPHA MISSION II
36.TWINKLE STAR SPRITES
37.BLAZING STAR
38.TOP PLAYER'S GOLF
39.SUPER SIDEKICKS
40.PUZZLED

Not to be outdone, SEGA has had numerous plug 'n play consoles over the years, all from the folks at AtGames (who've also made these for everything from Atari to Coleco, though they've slimmed their offerings in recent), the latest of which being:

4a6ztin05ihp.jpg

The AtGames 2017 SEGA Genesis Flashback

AtGames is known for making a lot of these plug 'n play consoles, among them the SEGA Genesis, the results not always being... great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtDjmFqEwwY

While their latest has improved somewhat...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nYDbMk_Ooc

...word has it that SEGA's announced Mega Drive Mini, now confirmed for U.S. and European release, has been delayed until 2019. What's more, they say they're letting a Japanese developer handle the software, which means that SEGA may have told AtGames...

tenor.gif

Finally, the big news that's pushed us to a new thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl2h8LDq_oI

Sony has announced the PlayStation Classic, arriving December 3rd for $99.99 USD (MSRP) / $129.99 CAN (MSRP).

It will include two non-DualShock controllers, a USB power cord (minus AC adapter), and 20 games, including Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, Wild Arms...

6sikid851l1k.gif

And many more!

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER!
SteevL wrote: »
Mini console news:

The Christmas Edition of the Neo Geo mini you've all asked for is coming:

Go forth and be merry!

There, now you're all caught up.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
LBD_Nytetrayn on

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    To keep up tradition, I'll be the first reply in this one as well!
    It will include one non-DualShock controller
    Nuhhhhhhhh

forty on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    To keep up tradition, I'll be the first reply in this one as well!
    It will include one non-DualShock controller
    Nuhhhhhhhh

Whoops, fixed! All those pics with just the one must have thrown me off.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    The thread didn't do the playstation boot up sound when I clicked in it. 0/10 not reading again

RickRude on
    Tell me how and I'll gladly add it.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    This is definitely the boot sound, exactly how you remember hearing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IX9x-0Rjs4

Frem on
    Just watched a YouTube video with the neo geo mini. Even Gizmo would say the thing was tint. It is defiantly wall art it looks like.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Should add in the Commodore 64 Mini.

https://thec64.com/

Just being silly since the poor thing never got a chance to be cool back when it was full sized and now. Darn consoles and Apples.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Brutal Doom is now available to play on the SNES Classic mini, for those who have hacked their system.

Well, whatever is happening with AtGames regarding SEGA, they're not finished yet:

fh2spd2zidde.jpeg

AtGames® Announces Blast! Family of Products

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I know AtGames makes some bad stuff, but those are neat ideas at least.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Says it has Pac Man. Doesn't mention Ms. Pac Man, the superior game. Fail.

8+ button controller for classic arcade games?

Maybe the top three buttons are turbo?

Or they just mass produced the controllers and need to move them.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, looks like repurposed Genesis controllers (that they may no longer need).

Yeah, that might be it. Well, extra innards, maybe, since the shell is clearly different. Either way, it just adds to the unprofessional, half-assedness that has become the AtGames hallmark. Here, have a controller where 2/3 of the buttons are never used in any of the games! At least the Pong package seems to have an appropriate looking controller.

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I know a bunch of people have been putting predictions for whats on the PS Classic.

my guess:

Final Fantasy VII
    Tekken 3
    Wild Arms
    Ridge Racer Type 4
    Jumping Flash
    Crash Bandicoot
    Spyro the Dragon
    Metal Gear Solid
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Parappa the Rapper
    Intelligent Qube
    Tomba
    MediEvil
    Gran Turismo 2
    Hot Shots Golf 2
    Legend of Dragoon
    Twisted Metal
    Wipeout
    Syphon Filter
    Cool Boarders

A few 3rd party titles, and the rest all Sony Published titles. A few of them dont necessarily need to be the first one, just pick whichever is regarded as the best in the series.

SteevL wrote: »

Maybe the top three buttons are turbo?

Or they just mass produced the controllers and need to move them.

Hmmm, the controllers + announcement makes me think Sega isn't usig ATgames for their newest mini.

RickRude wrote: »

Isn't Bandai Namco kinda cagey about that one?

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Hopefully if they go with Twisted Metal (and they should!) their entry will be Twisted Metal 2. Until Black, that was the high point of the series.

While Crash was a huge character for Sony at the time, part of me would be surprised to see him on the mini since the remastered version of the first 3 games exists and is pretty solid.

BloodySloth on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    While Crash was a huge character for Sony at the time, part of me would be surprised to see him on the mini since the remastered version of the first 3 games exists and is pretty solid.
    I don't see why that would stop them. Interest in one can provoke interest in the other. Same with Wipeout and a whole bunch of other games.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular

It was a sequel developed by Midway (the NA publisher of Pac-Man) without Namco's consent. Namco currently holds the rights to the game though and it does pop up every now and then in namco arcade collections.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »

It was a sequel developed by Midway (the NA publisher of Pac-Man) without Namco's consent. Namco currently holds the rights to the game though and it does pop up every now and then in namco arcade collections.

Yep, Ms. Pac-Man's kind of a sore spot for them, especially since it was such a huge success.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    I know a bunch of people have been putting predictions for whats on the PS Classic.

my guess:

Final Fantasy VII
    Tekken 3
    Wild Arms
    Ridge Racer Type 4
    Jumping Flash
    Crash Bandicoot
    Spyro the Dragon
    Metal Gear Solid
    Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    Parappa the Rapper
    Intelligent Qube
    Tomba
    MediEvil
    Gran Turismo 2
    Hot Shots Golf 2
    Legend of Dragoon
    Twisted Metal
    Wipeout
    Syphon Filter
    Cool Boarders

A few 3rd party titles, and the rest all Sony Published titles. A few of them dont necessarily need to be the first one, just pick whichever is regarded as the best in the series.

I think there will be more 3rd party games than that. I think Silent Hill and Resident Evil will be on it. As well as a Street Fighter game (probably Street Fighter Alpha 3) and a Mega Man game (either Mega Man X4 or Mega Man Legends).

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I don't see why that would stop them. Interest in one can provoke interest in the other. Same with Wipeout and a whole bunch of other games.

I think the thing that makes the difference for me is how recent it is. Like the Crash remaster was just released on Steam a couple of months ago (I'm aware it's been around longer on the PS4). I can see people being less interested in the original on an official emulator for that reason, or at least Sony assuming people will be less interested.

That being said I'll happily eat my words if I'm wrong; I love Crash Bandicoot.

I thought Crash Bandicoot was terrible. The N64 showed me what a great 3D platformer could be. And of course we'd already had great 2D platformers. To me, Crash was neither.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The title of the thread should be "Plug 'n Playstation.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Why did they say "rea"l? That is INCREDIBLY suspicious diction. Like saying Baloney "Meat" flavored topping.

Why did they say "rea"l? That is INCREDIBLY suspicious diction. Like saying Baloney "Meat" flavored topping.

I think they were just doing that old thing some people do where quotation marks are meant as emphasis. And also hit the end quote one character too early, of course.

The "rea"l just gives it that AtGames quality feel.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular

"Mine's is shipped from a 3rd world country named Homemáde, so I can legally print 'From Homemade' on the prepackaged package."

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    I think Silent Hill and Resident Evil will be on it.

M rated games are pretty unlikely for a plug n play this big. Even if most of the supposed audience should be that age anyway.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Xenogears? Xenogears. XENOGEARS.

Xenogears...

P.S.: Also FFT.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas

Xenogears...

Not gonna happen.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited September 2018

Xenogears...

Yeah, Square definitely wants to remind people of that hilarious time where they didn't finish a game and published the ending as fanfic, years before Steam made that sort of thing popular. It does stink that they did the pre-Dual Shock controller for the retro feels and therefore automatically excluded Ape Escape from contention. I do wonder if Mega Man X4, 8, or Legends is a possibility though...

shoeboxjeddy on

Inconsistently, I thought?
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Yep, Ms. Pac-Man's kind of a sore spot for them, especially since it was such a huge success.

That's what I thought. They haven't outright buried it, but it seems to seldom get paraded around, either.
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    The title of the thread should be "Plug 'n Playstation.

I like it, but it might give off the idea that the thread is only for the PlayStation Classic.
    Zython wrote: »
    I think Silent Hill and Resident Evil will be on it.

M rated games are pretty unlikely for a plug n play this big. Even if most of the supposed audience should be that age anyway.

Oof, that would mean no Metal Gear Solid or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, either.

I would think M rated games would be no problem. It's for people who grew up sith the system. They have to have one of the resident evil. Hopefully 3 as the others are easy to come by. Dino crisis and parasite eve would be awesome as well.

I'm trying to think of the best fighters on the system besides tekken. A battle arena would be nice but habe they aged well? SFA3 Maybe? Mk trilogy could be cool.

I'd love FFT and FF9, but feel tactics especially has been redone a lot.

A wipe out is a must. Were there any other good racers besides gran turrismo? I'd love breath of fire 3.

There were so many good game's but I'm having a hard time on the spot thinking of the game that defined the system for me. Metal gear solid has to be on there. As does SoTN, but again, that been done to death.

Their MGS game should be on there, I never got into it although so e people lilex it better than MGS.

One game I'd love is legacy of kain. The original.

I'm more curious of the guts, if it's more powerful than the nes offerings, and hackability.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    One game I'd love is legacy of kain. The original.

I'm more curious of the guts, if it's more powerful than the nes offerings, and hackability.
    I think Blood Omen would be a non-starter. I'm not sure what the legal issues surrounding it are, but there's a reason it's never shown up on Steam or GoG.
    It used to be complications between Crystal Dynamics who bought the franchise from Silicon Knights, but I don't know what it is now.

Soul Reaver is a definite possibility, though.

I think someone said they'd gotten PS games running on a hacked SNES classic (the only main limiter was the storage space), so it might be the same hardware, just with more storage.
    If it is easily hackable, that's gonna turn it into a very popular buy.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    I never could get into soul reaver like I did blood omen. Even had the amazing DC version

Speaking of game ratings, it always surprised me that FF7 was rated Teen. It had quite a few instances of people saying "shit," which was pretty unprecedented for the time.