As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There is no such thing as a moral or immoral [book] thread

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    That's the good stuff.

The below contains spoilers for the series and speculation based on the released Chapters of Rhythm of War.
    The Sons of Honor were trying to start a new Desolation so that the Heralds would return and reestablish Vorin Church dominance. Gavilar was a member of the Sons of Honor, but we see here that he knows that the Heralds (mostly) never left and knows about the Oathpact. Was the plan to "Unite them" as instructed by the visions under the Vorin Church?

Edit: Gavilar thought Restares might have been the one to try to kill him, so maybe Gavilar was trying to drive the Sons of Honor in a different direction over time?

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    twotimesadingotwotimesadingo Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    You all know what time it is?

It is time for Rhythm of War's chapters to be posted next week until the release in November!

https://www.tor.com/2020/07/23/read-rhythm-of-war-by-brandon-sanderson-prologue-and-chapter-one/

And those first two chapters? They are GOOD

Goddamn I am so hyped for RoW.

Sanderson has really shown growth in his writing ability from Elantris and that first Mistborn trilogy on. He's become enjoyable to read not just for his plotting and magic system, but also for his dialogue now (though he still has his ... rough patches).

PSN: peepshowofforce
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Sanderson generally doesn't do it for me but Rhythm of War is a goodass title.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2020
    I'm reading Slave Old Man (https://thenewpress.com/books/slave-old-man) which is as much about language as it is about anything else. And mostly this works - it's incredibly richly textured and layered and cosmopolitan - but every now and then the text just seems to lose the rhythm and become a mess of imagery without meaning.
    I'm reading it translation, though, so I wonder if it all flowed better in the original French/Creole.

anyway it's really good, grab it if you want to spend an hour or two inhabiting a very small slice of time in plantation-era Martinique in a way that also stretches back to encompass all the history of the Caribbean slave trade and the Middle Passage, and all the languages and stories and connections both lost and gained through forced transportation.

tynic on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I am most of the way through The Bees by Laline Paull, and I have no goddamn idea what to make of it.

These are definitely not the kind of bees you encounter in A Bug's Life. These are some bee-ass bees written by someone who studied a great deal of entomology before writing this book. The process of foragers filling their crops with nectar and their panniers with pollen and bringing it back to the hive are described in loving detail. Repeatedly. About three-quarters of the activities the characters engage in are couched in terms so scientifically accurate that you read them in David Attenborough's voice.

But like every fifty pages or so, there's a description of a bee eating pollen bread, which is a real thing, off a wax platter, which is not. Or a bee in the sanitation caste, which doesn't exist, grabbing a broom to clean up.

I honestly don't know whether I'm supposed to be picturing the characters as Bee Movie bees with faces and hands, since the author keeps describing them as having facial expressions and hands, or as actual bees, since the author keeps emphasizing how they communicate mostly through scent and dance. And also spiders and some bees have telekinetic powers, apparently.

The book is often compared with YA lit and the Handmaid's Tale, and there are broad themes that fit those comparisons. "Our highest law is Only the Queen May Breed" and all that. But the story doesn't feel like either of those. It feels more like a juvenile fiction novel where a toaster or a clockwork mouse goes on a whole bunch of adventures and encounters talking wasps and terrifying crows and the whole magical realism bag.

Anyway, I guess you should read it? You should probably read it. It's weird, but it's the kind of weird that makes me want to keep reading, and it's like nothing else I've ever experienced.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    So Watership Down but with bees?

• Options
    That sounds insane but I think the inaccuracies and anthropomorphisation of insects would really irritate me.

Which is weird because I don’t care about it at all in mammals, watership down and the Duncton books are some of my favorite literature. But I’m protective of eusocial insects.

• Options
    No, it pisses me off every time. And I think it's actually worse that it only happens once in a while, like what are you even doing?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Although it helps that the author has completely nailed the weird baroque theology bees would come up with if they were sapient. Their beeology.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    No, it pisses me off every time. And I think it's actually worse that it only happens once in a while, like what are you even doing?

Yeah that’s a good point, like if you’re telling a full version of the gnostic Gospels through a civilization of moles then I’m not gonna get too overtly fussed if your occasional dip into real mole social structures is slightly off.

• Options
    Well, that was weird clear to the end. I'm not sure I enjoyed it, but I think I recommend it. I guess if you're going to read one book this summer where the love interest breaks his dick off in the protagonist's newborn daughter and dies, make it this one.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Well, that was weird clear to the end. I'm not sure I enjoyed it, but I think I recommend it. I guess if you're going to read one book this summer where the love interest breaks his dick off in the protagonist's newborn daughter and dies, make it this one.

Oh, it's a bee-make of Twilight?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I've been reading a Victorian mystery novel and I could feel my eyes glossing over and starting to just scan for essentials on each page. Figured I'd look it up on Wikipedia to see if I was going to continue reading it.

"With the outcome unresolved the story ends."

Turns out, no.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Boldly defying the conventions of the genre!

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I've been reading a Victorian mystery novel and I could feel my eyes glossing over and starting to just scan for essentials on each page. Figured I'd look it up on Wikipedia to see if I was going to continue reading it.

Turns out, no.

What was the novel?

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Finished Slave Old Man, after taking a day or two in the middle because that was A Lot, in a very slim volume.

Choices now:
    A new (to me) translation of the Confessions
    A book of nonsense verse about physics told through the narration of a cartoon pirate
    A book about time
    The broken earth trilogy
    An anthology of poetry in endangered languages (I’ll probably just sit that one on my coffee table and dip in and out)

tynic on
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Turns out, no.

What was the novel?
    The Quincunx

I don't remember buying it, but I'm certain I did it because of the name alone.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Oh ahaha ha haha
    Man
    The quincunx

It’s a parody, you know

Edit : but I don’t like it much. I got into a fight in a bar over the Quincunx once, but it ended in some pretty good sex.

tynic on
  • Options
    I mean, if that was on the cards I might finish it, but that seems unlikely.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    I mean, if that was on the cards I might finish it, but that seems unlikely.

Oh it ultimately was not worth the slog. I think it helps if you know going in that it’s supposed to be a send up of those long winding Victorian novels with a mysterious inheritance and everyone getting what they Justly Deserve, but it doesn’t make it any more fun to read, nor does it make the main character less of a prick.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    Oh ahaha ha haha
    Man
    The quincunx

It’s a parody, you know

Edit : but I don’t like it much. I got into a fight in a bar over the Quincunx once, but it ended in some pretty good sex.

Obviously you don't have to answer but roughly how many fights about books in your life have led to that outcome

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Oh ahaha ha haha
    Man
    The quincunx

It’s a parody, you know

Obviously you don't have to answer but roughly how many fights about books in your life have led to that outcome

Maybe like ... four
    Turns out that’s only foreplay for a very niche section of the populace

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Finally read Network Effect.

Murderbot: it's still good!

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Finished Slave Old Man, after taking a day or two in the middle because that was A Lot, in a very slim volume.

Choices now:
    A new (to me) translation of the Confessions
    A book of nonsense verse about physics told through the narration of a cartoon pirate
    A book about time
    The broken earth trilogy
    An anthology of poetry in endangered languages (I’ll probably just sit that one on my coffee table and dip in and out)

Actually id forgotten I bought Oryx and Crake, because @ChicoBlue talked about it. So I'm reading that.

Quite a lot of future rust in the early chapters, even though it was written in 2003. Atwood showing her age a bit, I suspect.

tynic on
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    knitdan wrote: »
    Coke came out with a drink years ago that mixed coffee and Coke. It tasted good, but the price point was much too high.

Way late on this one, but there's a coffee/coke version still sold in Southeast Asia, the 7-11s in my country seem to be importing them from Vietnam (?)

3ahdqpdl2l9l.png

It's currently.... around 50% pricier than regular coke.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    In case anyone still had any hope left at this point:

Patrick Rothfuss's editor confirms that, after nine years, she is yet to read a single word of The Doors of Stone.

• Options
    Honestly I prefer it that way. Authors that pump out fiction to deadline, that can turn that shit on and off like a hose - those people alarm me deeply. Very alienating.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    If it means Sanderson can finish his epic he can be whatever kind of alien and I'd still buy his books.

Though with him it's less turning it on and off like a hose and more he never turns it off at all with three projects going at once.

Madican on
  • Options
    I really wonder what happened with Doors of Stone.

Did he just run out of ideas, and what was published in books 1 and 2 was all the good stuff? Did he just realize that he left himself way too much ground to cover in a single book while doing the material justice (my personal theory)? Is he just too in his own head and continually restarting from scratch, petrified of turning in a less than perfect work after the success and popularity of the first two books?

I doubt we'll ever find out but man I would read the hell out of something investigating what happened there.

• Options
    Honestly I prefer it that way. Authors that pump out fiction to deadline, that can turn that shit on and off like a hose - those people alarm me deeply. Very alienating.

Eeeeh I dunno. I think this sort of falls into the myth of creation as something where you just channel your internal ideas and you're completely beholden to that, which...I dunno. Certainly you need some amount of ideas and inspiration, but I've seen a lot of authors talk about this and these days I'm firmly in the camp that it's a skill that you can hone and to some extent yes, turn on and off as you need it.

Obviously delays happen and running dry on ideas happens, anyone in any profession has periods of just Not Having It, but I think when you get authors like Rothfuss who only seem to be able to write under very specific conditions, they're increasingly the outlier. Most of the other authors who are enjoying popular and critical success these days seem to be able to turn it on when they need it and turn work in more or less on time (again, with exceptions of course - John Scalzi is famously great at hitting deadlines but turned in a couple books late in the last couple years because 2018 and 2019 are such shitshows, N.K. Jemisin turned in The Stone Sky late because her mom died, etc).

• Options
    edited July 2020
    ... ok so I should probably point out that I actually don’t care and my post was mostly a self joke about my own procrastination abilities

But also I do find people who take forever to do anything far more relatable as human beings, regardless of their field of endeavor. That bit is completely true.

tynic on
  • Options
    Does it seem like maybe a bad move for his editor to talk about that stuff publicly?

• Options
    I dunno after 9 years, which is charitably at least double (probably triple, honestly) the number of years in which he was supposed to have even a first draft to her, I think she has some right to speak publicly that the delays are not because the publisher is fucking around.

• Options
    It just seems like it's one thing to clarify that, it's another to say, about an author that people are invested in and who has a TV adaptation of his work coming, "I don't know if he's interested in writing anymore"

That seems like quite a thing to just say!

• Options
    It does feel like a very fair assessment at this point.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I mean, nine years and nothing on Doors of Stone. Has he done any other kind of writing in the meanwhile? Short stories, novellas, maybe a magazine submission here and there? Because if he hasn't, then I can understand the thought of wondering if he's interested in writing anymore. Because writers write. If there's anything I've been told by many many authors about what defines a writer it's that phrase. It is basically a compulsion to write in the same way that it's a compulsion to eat food, drink water, or breathe air. I may not ever be published, in fact I'm 99% certain of it, but I still write because I have stories and I want to put them to paper. Or maybe I'll do a short scene in the same way others might doodle in their notebook, connected to anything or maybe I just wanted to jot down this one scene in my head for the sheer joy of it. It's not good writing, but I write.

If Rothfuss isn't actually writing then that could be indicative of more personal problems. Or maybe as 3clipse suggested he is writing but also doesn't think it's good enough to stand up with his previous work, suffering from success as it were. I do hope whatever happens to be the case that he's at least writing something even if never sees print.

• Options
    He wrote a novella in that universe in 2014 that I thought was quite bad but I suppose other people liked

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Rothfuss was a guest on Writing Excuses this year on an episode about revisions and I felt an instant visceral are you fucking kidding me reaction.

https://writingexcuses.com/2020/01/26/15-04-revision-with-patrick-rothfuss/

Its like having Stephen King on for a podcast on outlining or satisfying endings.

edit: Also, jeez the fact that Mary Robinette Kowal (quite politely) pointed out that an analogy he made may have came across sexist and he reacted to that reasonably and the comments are like 50% people raging about it is just, ugn. Humans.

Kamar on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Authors don't owe the public anything

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    What about

Ernest Cline I feel like he owes me something

This discussion has been closed.