As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dell Nvidia driver install question

Here's a quick question. I went to update my graphics carsd drivers, the NVIDIA thing popped up wanting to do it. Then it said it couldn't install due to the version of windows I'm running.

Is this because of the present dell configuration and a clean wipe will fix it or am I always going to have to do it another way?

I have a Dell G3 17 that I just recently got. I plan on doing a clean install of windows to get rid of preinstalled crap, but haven't yet.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    What version of Windows are you running?

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    My Dell installs nvidia drivers (via GF Experience just fine, before and after clean install). I think it is related to something else.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Windows 10 home I believe

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I had trouble on an office workstation running Win 7, which was a Dell also. It refused me to install Nvidia drivers and said to only use Dell drivers, I had to get a new computer due to this alone since the Dell drivers didn't pack in opengl support beyond what was current in 1998. IT investigated and came to the conclusion that there was no way to install a reasonable video driver. So despite the hardware working properly we had to buy a new computer.

I have to imagine there's a difference between what they sell to regular customers and what they sell to companies though. If GF Experience doesn't work I would probably try a clean install with the added benefit of getting rid of bloatware.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I had trouble on an office workstation running Win 7, which was a Dell also. It refused me to install Nvidia drivers and said to only use Dell drivers, I had to get a new computer due to this alone since the Dell drivers didn't pack in opengl support beyond what was current in 1998. IT investigated and came to the conclusion that there was no way to install a reasonable video driver. So despite the hardware working properly we had to buy a new computer.

I have to imagine there's a difference between what they sell to regular customers and what they sell to companies though. If GF Experience doesn't work I would probably try a clean install with the added benefit of getting rid of bloatware.

This sounds crazy. Do you remember any of the model numbers of the workstation or the video card?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Windows 10 home I believe

All updates current?

• Options
    You seem to have a common issue with Dells, it appears. Apparently Dells will get finicky if there needs to be a new chipset driver downloaded and an intel GPU driver.

Their website and help people are of little help. Telling people to backwards flash their BIOS to get a new gpu driver installed is pants-on-head.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    So it said my pc was up to date but I searched and it did a windows update. I then ran the nvidia software and it all installed fine.

• Options
    Windows Update shennanigans and Dell proprietary confuckulism is a deadly combo.