As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I need an xbox-live compatible modem

KevarKevar regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
My current modem is a piece of shit given to me by my ISP. I've done all of the recommended steps such as port forwarding and DMZ, but even when directly connected to my 360, my NAT is strict and I can't play with others. So I need a new modem - not router, but I know nothing about them. Usually, I would just learn and research myself, but the Halo 3 beta is in a few days and I'm running out of time. Please help.

The new modem will be connected to a Linksys WRT54G, which will be connected to my 360 and two PCs.

Kevar on

• Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Are you sure it's the modem and not your ISP? I haven't heard of a modem restricting traffic unless it has a built in router or something. Also if you want recommendations you may want to tell people your ISP and type of service. I'd contact your ISP first though if you haven't already.

djklay on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Q. When I tested my connection it said my NAT was "Strict", how do I fix this?
    A. If your router supports uPnP, turn it on. It will figure it out for you. If not, forward ports UDP Port 88, UDP Port 3074, TCP Port 3074.
    (From Somethingawful forum of all places.) Edit: Portforwading does nothing? No ideas then.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KevarKevar regular
    edited May 2007
    Jelloblimp wrote: »
    Q. When I tested my connection it said my NAT was "Strict", how do I fix this?
    A. If your router supports uPnP, turn it on. It will figure it out for you. If not, forward ports UDP Port 88, UDP Port 3074, TCP Port 3074.
    (From Somethingawful forum of all places.) Edit: Portforwading does nothing? No ideas then.
    Thanks, but trust me - I've fucked with this thing for several hours and it just won't work.
    Are you sure it's the modem and not your ISP? I haven't heard of a modem restricting traffic unless it has a built in router or something. Also if you want recommendations you may want to tell people your ISP and type of service. I'd contact your ISP first though if you haven't already.
    That's one problem, it does have a built-in router.

My ISP is a local DSL place.

Kevar on