Options

Tom Paris Sucks [chat]

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    Man therapy today was not helpful. For some reason my therapist wanted to talk about my dating life and I was not prepared.
    “Are you seeing anyone?”

“No.”

“Are you looking?”

“Not really.”

“Do you want to be in a relationship?”

“Um, sure, I guess?”

“Then why aren’t you looking?”

“Because of a deeply-held belief that I’m not attractive or desirable, conditioned by a lifetime of bad relationships with abusive people and poor socialization skills, amplified by severe body dysmorphia. Add that to being a mom who works weird hours and being a giant femme lesbian, I’m not exactly what anyone is looking for and I don’t blame them. I wouldn’t date me.”

“Well I think you’re just fine the way you are!”

Obviously,”
    Maybe your therapist was looking to hook up?

Me being a dumbass, I kinda wondered that for a moment

She doesn’t strike me unprofessional but if she wasn’t my therapist, she’d be my type.

But no, I don’t think that’s the case

Nothing stopping you from one day saying, "I don't want to be your patient any more. I'll go somewhere else for therapy. Maybe you can recommend a good one over dinner."

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I’ve been very cautious about unions at my place of work, as this is an international company and not an especially bank making branch. Figured if a union was going to appear the company would just leave. Then a union for the bus drivers rolls in and offers to include the tour guides in all the benefits. Turns out transport workers unions have some real weight on them and so far things are looking good.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    I’ve been very cautious about unions at my place of work, as this is an international company and not an especially bank making branch. Figured if a union was going to appear the company would just leave. Then a union for the bus drivers rolls in and offers to include the tour guides in all the benefits. Turns out transport workers unions have some real weight on them and so far things are looking good.

Teamsters are like... THE union

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Man therapy today was not helpful. For some reason my therapist wanted to talk about my dating life and I was not prepared.
    “Are you seeing anyone?”

“No.”

“Are you looking?”

“Not really.”

“Um, sure, I guess?”

“Because of a deeply-held belief that I’m not attractive or desirable, conditioned by a lifetime of bad relationships with abusive people and poor socialization skills, amplified by severe body dysmorphia. Add that to being a mom who works weird hours and being a giant femme lesbian, I’m not exactly what anyone is looking for and I don’t blame them. I wouldn’t date me.”

Obviously,”

She doesn’t strike me unprofessional but if she wasn’t my therapist, she’d be my type.

Nothing stopping you from one day saying, "I don't want to be your patient any more. I'll go somewhere else for therapy. Maybe you can recommend a good one over dinner."
    “Are you seeing anyone?”

“No.”

“Are you looking?”

“Not really.”

“Um, sure, I guess?”

Obviously,”

I guess?

She’s been a great advocate for me and she’s a PhD and a queer lady whose office is very close to my apartment, and I see her weekly

I’d hate to fuck that up

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Paris more like Paris Texas
    “Are you seeing anyone?”

“No.”

“Are you looking?”

“Not really.”

“Um, sure, I guess?”

Obviously,”

MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Maybe don't though.

• Options
    Rather, you should feel free to say what you want to say to your therapist.

And they are appropriately trained to deal with an inquiry of that nature.

And the reason they have that training is that there is a GIANT ball of ethical issues there.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    chu from the stories you told about the levels of management above you...
    there's no way a union is going to be worse

Like think about the thing where they told you to do all these tasks you couldn't do in the timeframe and also told you couldn't drop any and refused to prioritize them? (aka fishing for you to work unclocked hours)
    No union lets that shit fly.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    My impression is that unions almost never cost more in dues than they bring back in wages, and that's before you even get to stuff like pto and grievances. My bro is a union organizer, tho, so I'm biased

He says the main thing organization campaigns have to fight through is fear--fear people will get fired for organizing, fear that if the vote comes out positive the company will close shop to set an example rather than organize a union contract.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    What I said was 85% comedy.

Precisely 85%.

And yes, most therapists know how to deal with that situation and have gotten TONS of training on it.

And maybe part of the reason you feel good with this person is because they are trained in how to make you trust them so that you can open up, and for lots of people where that is hard a ton of other emotions can spill into that opening.

I know of two situations where a therapist went out with their (former) patient. One turned into a great marriage and the other led to the therapist moving and starting life all over somewhere else.

Not exactly GREAT odds here.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Two Harry Kims? Still better than one Tom Paris
    MrMister wrote: »
    My impression is that unions almost never cost more in dues than they bring back in wages, and that's before you even get to stuff like pto and grievances. My bro is a union organizer, tho, so I'm biased

He says the main thing organization campaigns have to fight through is fear--fear people will get fired for organizing, fear that if the vote comes out positive the company will close shop to set an example rather than organize a union contract.

To be fair both of those thing have happened, and our current federal government is doing its best to outlaw unions.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Hell yeah free bread

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

To be fair both of those thing have happened, and our current federal government is doing its best to outlaw unions.

Both those things are illegal, but yes, see your point no. 2

Republicans have waged a campaign of starvation against the NLRB, much as they have for the entire regulatory state they so loathe and yet cannot get the votes to actually repeal

• Options
    27 and already convicted of fraud

I'm doing so little with my life

• Options
    According to bro, his experiences have come down to fear on the one side, versus anger and hope on the other

People need to be madder than they are afraid, and they need to be able to imagine things being better

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

This was one of those "man people committed fraud" But then it was like against a bunch of trust fund baby morons and it was like "is that really a crime?"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    wazilla wrote: »
    Like, honestly, the Kroger union probably isn't great, but it isn't going to get better by having less members.

I work with trade unions almost every day, and my company recently became signatory to a local union, and they remind me every day that unions are overall a force for good. Yes, even the UAW.
    Signatory member... elevator constructors or iron workers?

zepherin on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Tuvix is Better

This was one of those "man people committed fraud" But then it was like against a bunch of trust fund baby morons and it was like "is that really a crime?"

Tr3vor got justice today, Preacher. Let's be happy with that.

• Options

But should we? I mean brent, brett, bradly, and brenttoo also got justice, but did they?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

When I get back to Washington you and I are going to sell organic artisanal crystal enhanced water.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    l8wUz86.jpg

• Options
    wazilla wrote: »
    Like, honestly, the Kroger union probably isn't great, but it isn't going to get better by having less members.

I work with trade unions almost every day, and my company recently became signatory to a local union, and they remind me every day that unions are overall a force for good. Yes, even the UAW.
    Signatory member... elevator constructors or iron workers?

a local chapter of IBEW actually! (maybe signatory isn't the right word?)

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

Plenty of real people got fucked over too - musicians and local workers

• Options
    Tuvix is Better

But should we? I mean brent, brett, bradly, and brenttoo also got justice, but did they?

Chad, Price, and Windsor can sleep easy tonight knowing this fraudster won't trick them again any time soon.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Half the reason I didn’t much care for a union for my work was the fragile nature of this branch, and half things are okay besides the insurance just being “you will get your salary for a few weeks if you are injured enough to not work”. Nothing else. I don’t think the union is getting more than that but the slight salary increase is nice.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options

Damn it you're right Eddy. But but the chads the chads got something from this. Can't we just like tell him to pay the workers?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »

When I get back to Washington you and I are going to sell organic artisanal crystal enhanced water.

I'm in. I've got a hose and some cardboard bottles we can do this.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

iirc the majority of the ticket sales were in the sub $1000 range, the trust fund wastrels weren't the ones who bought into it, it was the trust fund wannabes

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

NYT called it "disastrous". Really? Rich assholes don't get their exclusive island concert, that's where we put the "disastrous" line now?

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

I mean I've only ever looked at this from about 5000 miles away, but from my arm-chair, the thing that really gets me is:

Why fraud? You successfully managed to get a bunch of shitty little rich kids to hand you a bunch of money. Why not just throw them a party? And then have a successful business?

• Options

NYT called it "disastrous". Really? Rich assholes don't get their exclusive island concert, that's where we put the "disastrous" line now?

Its one of those things where you can really see the class divide at play. Like the conditions sounded shitty, but like the NYT probably used nicer language to describe the horrendous conditions in puerto rico verus the fyre festival.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Tuvix is Better
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Why not just throw them a party?

The bros organizing this thing were incompetent amateurs.

• Options

I mean I've only ever looked at this from about 5000 miles away, but from my arm-chair, the thing that really gets me is:

Why fraud? You successfully managed to get a bunch of shitty little rich kids to hand you a bunch of money. Why not just throw them a party? And then have a successful business?

Because you want to be chauffeured around in a Maserati and it turns out you can't pay yourself enough to do that while keeping it all on the level

• Options
    The fact that this guy started another even-more-fraudulent scheme while he was out on bail is mindblowing

he sounds like a sociopath!

• Options
    Yeah the stupid thing is, if the fyre people were borderline competent they probably could have done the actual concert. I mean when ICP manages to run their thing better than you do, that's got to hurt.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Why not just throw them a party?

The bros organizing this thing were incompetent amateurs.

I mean maybe I'm crazy. I'm definitely an amateur party-thrower. But I feel like on that budget I could half-ass a party that wouldn't need an airline to mount a "rescue mission" or if it did, it would be in a good way.

• Options
    The fact that this guy started another even-more-fraudulent scheme while he was out on bail is mindblowing

he sounds like a sociopath!

he's got a case of the ol' afflueza

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    @spool32 the Sonic analogy for Michael is basically perfect. It revved up so hard that the NOAA 5 day forecast map shows fucking Mali on it.

• Options
    Yeah the stupid thing is, if the fyre people were borderline competent they probably could have done the actual concert. I mean when ICP manages to run their thing better than you do, that's got to hurt.

The thing is, ICP came up from nothing. They started running shit themselves and scaled through everything so they have legitimate experience.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Tuvix is Better

Because work is hard. Having an actual festival takes like time and experience and effort. Just look at the classic documentary Wayne's World 2.

This discussion has been closed.