As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Fuck you LNP

Pretty sure this requires a long winded postal survey.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Sounds like these tax cuts will go through, with Labor pushing to give everyone a tax cut now, rather than pushing the high bracket tax cuts off into the future.
    Greens calling them out for the haste and cost.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Yup. Why do they even exist.
    Like a lot of our friend in the US and UK, getting fucking tired of the leftists just fucking capitulating all the time to the conservatives.

Now, I don’t want them opposing purely out of contrariness. But put up a fucking fight for your priorities, and stop giving conservative parties blank cheques and approvals that you KNOW they wouldn't reciprocate if the positions were reversed.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Proposing changes that get shot down and then voting for the bill anyway is a bad look.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    edited July 2019

This isn't a fair summary.
    It's 'we have no leverage in the House, so we'll send it to the Senate where you actually do have to negotiate with us or the cross-bench'.

It's when they pass the entire package to try and stimulate the economy that we can sigh in resignation.

Otherwise, I shot an email off to my Labor reps requesting they continue blocking stage three.
    Stage one is .. k, we need to inject money into the economy and this government's not going to spend it on public works so, do what we can I guess.
    But stage three can get stuffed and I don't know what stage two is.

discrider on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Also I may be missing something, but doesn't the proposed change actually raise taxes on the low end of the spectrum?

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Also I may be missing something, but doesn't the proposed change actually raise taxes on the low end of the spectrum?

So, just like the US' Tax Cut and Jobs Act.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

No?
    If anything, it appears to ignore the lowest bracket entirely.

• Options
    My understanding of the bill is:
    Stage 1: Bribes for votes, likely one-time thing but probably need to do economic stimulus so eh
    Stage 2: ???
    Stage 3: Reduce 45k - 180k 32%, 37% (180k+ is 45%) brackets to a single 45k - 200k 30% bracket

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Isn’t stage 3 still bribes for votes?

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Isn’t stage 3 still bribes for votes?
    It's more dividends to the Liberal Party owners/shareholders.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Like a lot of our friend in the US and UK, getting fucking tired of the leftists just fucking capitulating all the time to the conservatives.

Now, I don’t want them opposing purely out of contrariness. But put up a fucking fight for your priorities, and stop giving conservative parties blank cheques and approvals that you KNOW they wouldn't reciprocate if the positions were reversed.

Leftists? Today's Labor are centrist at best (hell, they're PRO concentration camps!). That pesky overton window just keeps on sliding right...

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

Leftists? Today's Labor are centrist at best (hell, they're PRO concentration camps!). That pesky overton window just keeps on sliding right...

I was meaning more from a binary choice, rather than on a sliding scale.

But yes, the absence of movement for leftist policies has shown Labor to be either abdicating their responsibility, or actively choosing to change their platform, and it's disheartening.

They got some wins on a few things (getting gay marriage passed), but their at best apathy, at worst complicity in asylum rights, and worker's rights, means they'll continue to be second on my ballot for the forseeable future.

I had Greens, Labor, LNP, Palmer and Fanning on my last House ballot. Couldn't put Labor any lower and still walk out with my self respect.

• Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    :/
    Our government bought their power with mines.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

It's 'we have no leverage in the House, so we'll send it to the Senate where you actually do have to negotiate with us or the cross-bench'.

It's when they pass the entire package to try and stimulate the economy that we can sigh in resignation.

Otherwise, I shot an email off to my Labor reps requesting they continue blocking stage three.
    Stage one is .. k, we need to inject money into the economy and this government's not going to spend it on public works so, do what we can I guess.

Sigh.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    MEanwhile, in NZ: https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/checkpoint/audio/2018702678/people-queue-from-2am-outside-work-and-income-for-help

Because our benefit system definitely isn't broken or anything. Source: One salty beneficiary who just recently updated their accomdination costs and lost 50 per week as a result.

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular

Fun fact, she's the new defence minister. Imagine how they feel!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »

Sigh.

Good to see Labor continuing to fuck themselves.

Don't blame me though. I voted for Kodos.

(Actually voted greens, as they were the only party to want a federal ICAC)

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    The actions of Liberal ministers make far more sense if you replace "for" with "against" into their titles.

• Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »

Sigh.

Good to see Labor continuing to fuck themselves.

Don't blame me though. I voted for Kodos.

(Actually voted greens, as they were the only party to want a federal ICAC)

Sounded like the Liberals had the support of the cross-bench anyway though, after promising jacquie Lambie jobs in Tas or whatever the spoken bribe was.

Still a shame to see Labor politicians vote for it just so that they can say they voted for stage 1 (but not stage 3 please don't hold us to that).
    Cowards.

• Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jul/04/tax-cuts-pass-senate-in-full-as-labor-backs-down
    The Labor leader, Anthony Albanese, said that despite Labor’s concern that the bill locked in unaffordable tax cuts from 2024-25, the shadow cabinet had decided it would not stand in the way of relief for “working Australians”.

“We do not want the circumstances whereby an economy that’s struggling prevents people getting a tax benefit of up to … $1,080,” Albanese said.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    gee i wonder why labor can't win elections. what a mystery

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ah yes. Benefits to 'working Australians' while lowering the hecs repayment threshold to 45k. Using 'working' to mean middle class is such an LNP dogwhistle, fuck you Labor for running with it.

• Options
    Labor need to realise that there is no action they take that results in the Libs and Murdoch press not attacking them. So either start actually fighting or give up now.

• Options
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Labor need to realise that there is no action they take that results in the Libs and Murdoch press not attacking them. So either start actually fighting or give up now.

Well..
    Nine was still trying to frame it as 'the opposition that was against tax cuts'.
    So I don't disagree that not passing the stage 1 tax cuts would have resulted in voters getting annoyed at Labor.

Doesn't mean passing the whole thing was the right thing to do, but it was probably politically advantageous.
    That is; cowardice.

• Options
    Don’t think I’ve ever been this furious about someone giving me a significant amount of money (albeit in a few years time).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Simpsons against the liberals on point again.7bwysc1vx9ja.jpeg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    ... why that picture?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Theyre pushing the "love nest with mistress" angle as it sells better.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Anyone pushing the thought of a ‘love nest’ and putting the beetrooters face on the article is a monster.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Anyone pushing the thought of a ‘love nest’ and putting the beetrooters face on the article is a monster.

Gotta promote the "family values" of Barnaby Joyce.

You know, the family that started when he had an affair with a woman who worked for him (a disparity of power dynamics), and left his wife for.

But gays wanting to get married, that's the problem with society, right, Barney, you asshole?

• Options
    edited July 2019

Dutton has even more power than I thought.

The AFP must be disbanded.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Wow, even going after Murdoch. Or at least, thinking about it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Wow, even going after Murdoch. Or at least, thinking about it.

They left them until last so they could claim it was "because of the backlash" they didn't go ahead with the raid, but really it's just to put the fear into News Corp journos and ensure they toe the line.

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    "How good are jobs?"

Ummmm.

Is our Prime Minister a space alien? Is this how people talk now?

edit: actually I'm getting weird deja vu... Who was it... Maybe it was Beazley? Or Crean? I remember making fun of one of them for being seemingly unable to make a speech without it just basically sounding like "jobs jobs jerbs jebs jobs jobbs jobs jobbez jobz." Maybe Morrison's been afflicted with the same form of verbal diarrhoea.

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    my memory is hazy but i thought beazley was a reasonable public speaker. I'd believe it of Crean, though.

ScoMo addressing the country is the cringiest version of "yer da at a teen birthday party" I've ever seen.

This discussion has been closed.