As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Australian & NZ Politics] 'Straya's closed

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Holy fork.

That was a quake alright. Felt it down in Wellington, reports indicate a 7+ off the east coast of the north island.

Yikes. Hope everyone's okay and we're not dealing with a tsunami

Edit: https://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/2021p169083

Here's the report. Remember to mark it if you felt it!

Further edit: A Tsunami warnign has been issued. If it was long or strong, get to high ground people. Be safe!

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Still active tsunami warnings as of 9:49AM following the 8.1 quake: https://www.civildefence.govt.nz/

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2021
    So loud civil defense warning sms for the tsunami warning, sure fine makes more sense than the covid ones. But another one for it being over? Don't they have an ability to send those messages without the load accompanying sound?

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    or at least give me a mute button so i can keep reading it without a headache.

but no, they do need to be loud

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    WA state election today. Should be interesting given the liberals pretty much conceded a month ago and their strategy is “Don’t give Labor too much power”.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Already called by Antony Green in Labor’s favour 30 mins after polls closed. Absolute landslide. Coalition looking to take maybe 10 seats tops.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Already called by Antony Green in Labor’s favour 30 mins after polls closed. Absolute landslide. Coalition looking to take maybe 10 seats tops.

Less. Labor have 51, with 2 undecided, last time I checked.

Haven't been following WA politics. What the hell happened?

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    7tsgajf55c21.jpeg
    Just getting absolutely bodied lmao.

Mark and labor did a fantastic job with covid-19. I’m really hopeful that it’s people starting to wake up and realise that the liberals are ghouls. Only time will tell I guess

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Is Labour center-left like Labour in the UK, and the Liberals in Canada?

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    oldmanken wrote: »

Depends where you put the center but yes-ish.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    oldmanken wrote: »

Depends where you put the center but yes-ish.

To expand, Labor (no U) is the main leftist party in Australian politics, and are at least ostensibly the party of workers rights and unions.

Greens are further to the left on a lot of things, but rarely have power, let alone majority. Their focus tends towards environmentalism, but like all of the parties here, they're not one-issue focused.

Liberals (economic liberalism, ie corporatism, not traditional liberalism) are the main rightist party. While primarily about tax cuts and cutting social welfare, they're not as strident as their UK or US contemporaries. They might want to be, but severe austerity wouldn't be tolerated (an advantage to compulsory voting, is pissing off the apathetic gets you turfed).

Nationals are the rural party. Focused on farming, mining, etc. They're in a symbiotic relationship with the Liberals (called the Coalition), usually as the weaker partner.

Then there's a scattering of minor parties that very rarely get seats, let alone any real representation or power.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »
    KafkaAU wrote: »

Less. Labor have 51, with 2 undecided, last time I checked.

Haven't been following WA politics. What the hell happened?

Labor/Mark handled COVID really well, he is quite popular, liberals had a change of leader late last year and put in quite a young, inexperienced leader.

Early days on the senate but looks like the greens have lost a few seats. Disappointing from a social equity perspective.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I didn't realize how much I needed to see the Liberals get annihilated somewhere recently.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    The part I like the most is that the incumbent Labor candidate from my electorate who, at least from my vantage point, has been well received and liked by the community, improved his election margin from 8% in 2017 to nearly 70%.

Now that is a proper thumping

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    ScoMos response to the women’s March 4 Justice today is just... ugh. Can’t we vote this fucking guy out?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    ScoMos response to the women’s March 4 Justice today is just... ugh. Can’t we vote this fucking guy out?
    Sounds like someone needs another round of "empathy training"

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Viking wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Sounds like someone needs another round of "empathy training"

At this point, a Voight-Kampff test, if not just a straight Turing test is probably in order.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    look. you might get raped by a member of govt or their staff, but rest assured the PM is trying everything possible to do nothing at all about this.
    and on the bright side he didn't order the people protesting this to be shot.... so really it is ScoMo that is the real hero in all of this.

How can anyone be this tone deaf?

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    look. you might get raped by a member of govt or their staff, but rest assured the PM is trying everything possible to do nothing at all about this.
    and on the bright side he didn't order the people protesting this to be shot.... so really it is ScoMo that is the real hero in all of this.

How can anyone be this tone deaf?
    The earnest belief that consequences are for other, lesser people. Also, I would assume, a complete lack of understanding how people normally experience the world, and no empathy whatsoever.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I would imagine it's self-selecting at this point, what with the removal of the previous PM for following popular policy.

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    I don't know, comments like that wouldn't cause the average Liberal voter to bat an eyelid. The government seems to have given up on winning undecided or traditionally Labor voters for some time now, so I don't find this comment all that surprising.

Many people I know would sagely nod their heads and agree that yes, it is good that protestors aren't usually shot in Australia, and would move on with their day.

Terrible as that may be.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    Solvent wrote: »
    I don't know, comments like that wouldn't cause the average Liberal voter to bat an eyelid. The government seems to have given up on winning undecided or traditionally Labor voters for some time now, so I don't find this comment all that surprising.

Many people I know would sagely nod their heads and agree that yes, it is good that protestors aren't usually shot in Australia, and would move on with their day.

Terrible as that may be.

Also let's face it, your average conservative voter doesn't really believe rape accusations ever really happened if it's too anyone on "their side".

• Options
    From my view over here, which is totally skewed, but it looks like either:
    A) the government figures they've been in power too long, they were actually surprised to win last time, and they suppose they will not win next time because the wheel will eventually turn. Therefore, they are only interested in ever more blatantly speaking to/handing out favours to their base and donors while they can.

Or,
    B) the government thinks that the opposition under Albanese's lead is so ineffectual that, as long as property prices are rising, they can do whatever the fuck they want and they'll still be voted in at the next election.Therefore, they are only interested in ever more blatantly speaking to/handing out favours to their base and... will do so forever.

Two different hypotheses explaining the same outcome. Right, I'm being way too much of an armchair general here but thoughts?

All the evidence looks to me like they're no longer giving any fucks about people who aren't rusted-on supporters, but I suppose from a certain cynical viewpoint it was ever thus.

• Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    Nope, you're about spot on. Property prices keep on going up, Boomers keep voting for the Coalition. Add to that tax cuts coming for the top end of town and the usual fear, uncertainty and doubt and voila, a core group who keep voting for ScoMo irrespective of whether he grabs a woman's hand to force her to shake hands with him during the bushfires, flees to Hawaii, doesn't understand that rape is a thing that happens and can't seem to grasp that other people might be angry about that.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Even if one were to play devil's advocate and take Scotty at his word to what his intention was with the comments about it being good that people can peacefully protest...

So fucking what Scomo? That is a completely vacuous statement, it has no content whatsoever. "People can protest", and...?!

And he does this constantly, if you can ignore the repulsion instinct and actually pay attention to his announcements or speeches and what he actually says he doesn't say anything of value ever. It's just generic politician sounding speech with no actual content. It's like a yr 9 english essay that got a D+ because they didn't actually understand the topic and just talked around it to get to the word limit.

• Options
    Whoops! The 9/fairfax/costello media fucked up and exposed themselves as the Liberal Party hacks we all know they are.

The Libs have been trying to use retiring Lib Nicolle Flint as an angle to try and attack Labor because of something something sexist attacks (for... not defending a liberal candidate from attacks? That were mostly from her own party...? And more about her being a horrible arch-conservative...), honestly the whole thing is a Mr Fantastic level stretch.

Well people noticed that Scomo took a question directly from Right Wing cheerleader/journalist and smug-rock-golem Chris Uhlmann about Flint in an unrelated press conference about PNG, just picked him out randomly from the crowd like a planted assistant at a magic show, and then Scomo gave his Labor attack answer and then ran off before people could bring up all the rapes.

Fairfax reported these remarks on their politics blog, as they do... except they reported them 30 minutes BEFORE he said them. OOPS.

a4strj29vh0q.jpg
    Yeah... not so much.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1371982367791882240.html

• Options
    Well that basically confirms what I have always suspected about Fairfax (their coverage has always been propaganda ish).

• Options
    Hahaha fuckin Jesus Christ. We need to dismantle every major news outlet in Australia

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    There was an interesting link on that thread where someone goes through the needles in Strawberries episode and how quickly Morrison jumped into action - because a few months earlier Australia’s largest strawberry farm was sold to a Chinese company who are also one of the Liberals biggest donors whose bottom line was obviously being impacted.

Foreign donors? Leap into action. Rape accusations to his staff? Hope it blows over.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Aaand there we go. The parliamentary inquiry into who knew about the rape allegation has been suspended because it ‘might interfere with the police investigation’.

Right when record floods in NSW are topping the news.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Kelor wrote: »

I mean, why would you talk to the person at the very centre of the thing you're investgating?

Wonder if the accused got an interview where he got to give his accounting of events, unchallenged.

That's how justice works, right?

Fucking conservatives and "Law and order, LAW AND ORDER! Wait, it applies to us too? Shut it all down!"

Fucking complicit creeps.

• Options
    Kevin Rudd is doing some good, bite sized stuff on his YouTube channel. Well worth clicking through and checking it out

https://youtu.be/UNSUUDS35s4

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/mar/22/coalition-adviser-sacked-over-allegations-staffers-performed-solo-sex-acts-on-desks-of-female-mps

This whole debacle just keeps getting worse, doesn't it? I don't even know how you'd go about uprooting the levels of rottenness that are clearly present in the culture right now. Having more women in positions of power in the Liberal party would damn sure be a good start, though.

• Options
    Getting tired of all the old men’s crocodile tears over the last few weeks.

No one believes you’re upset about it, and that doesn’t work for 5 year olds let alone 50 year olds. Act your age and take some fucking responsibility for what’s going on.

• Options
    In a press conference that was ostensibly to address this government's problem with women the PM thought it was a smart move to reveal a previously unknown sexual assault case and immediately weaponize it to attack a journalist asking him an inconvenient question.

He is so fundamentally incapable of doing anything even approaching the right thing.

• Options
    -SPI- wrote: »
    In a press conference that was ostensibly to address this government's problem with women the PM thought it was a smart move to reveal a previously unknown sexual assault case and immediately weaponize it to attack a journalist asking him an inconvenient question.

He is so fundamentally incapable of doing anything even approaching the right thing.

Was that the one about a News Corp employee?

Because the boss of News Corp has come out and said Morrison was lying then.

What a surprise.

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Can our MPs not be fucking terrible people for one fucking day?
    During the conversation, which she said happened at a Hobart citizenship ceremony on March 1, she asked him if the then-unnamed minister accused of rape was Attorney-General Christian Porter.

“The senator quickly responded that, ‘Yes, it was the first law officer of the nation, Christian Porter, but not to worry, the woman is dead and the law will protect him,’” she said.

“He then said, ‘As for that Higgins girl, anybody so disgustingly drunk who would sleep with anybody could have slept with one of our spies and put the security of the nation at risk.’”

No they can’t.

Edit - that was Eric Abetz.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm.....

Jesus Christ.

• Options
    Of course that fucker doesn't even understand the idea of the honeypot espionage play.

His worldview is on full display there: whatever the issue, the real victim is always the man.

This discussion has been closed.