Options

[Yu-Gi-Oh] Card Games On Message Boards

OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
edited October 2018 in Social Entropy++
SxKQtOX.jpg

Yu-Gi-Oh, a franchise that's lasted 22 years which isn't bad at all really. Between the various series and card game, it's managed to make a lot of money for Studio Gallop and Konami respectively not to mention make at least a couple of Guinness World Records. It's creator Kazuki Takahashi must get up every day marveling at it all seeing the sort of games he originally came up with for his comic.
5pbsrZV.jpg

Yeah, noseless Yami is a scary bastard.

Anyway, been getting into both the game and series again so I thought I'd open up a thread to see if anyone else still feels the urge to talk about them if not duel. If you don't want to spend a ton of money on the cards themselves, there's a few options.

- If you got a XBox One, PS4 or PC, you can pick up Legacy Of The Duelist which has in it's core over 6000 cards. The major negatives for it though are that there's not a lot of folks playing it anymore and some of the newer cards are locked off in 5-dollar DLC.

- If you have iOS, Android or (again) PC, there's Duel Links, the latest of the digital games for the franchise. The problem here though is that it's just gotten to 5Ds-era cards, having slowly built it's way up to it likely due to the game running on 'Speed Duel' rules. In this case, that means only three slots for monsters and three for Spells/Traps instead of five for each and 20-40 card decks instead of 40-60.

-For the straight PC player, there's always the option of online simulators created by fans though because of that, they're naturally not going to have as much quality as the official games.

There's been some interesting changes with the VRAINS era of cards coming it and it's new Monster type, Link Monsters, as the playing field was actually modified for them and other cards belonging to the Extra Deck (Fusions, Synchros and XYZs). To see what's changed, check out this PDF of the guide included with the current Starter Decks.

As for what's good here, chatting about the game, the animes (and their Abridged counterparts) & manga as well as the video games (even the weird ones like the RTS one and the one based on the real-life War Of The Roses) all pass. However, try not to make the anime the sole subject of the thread and certainly don't get stupid about talking about it either lest we bring down the wrath of our mod overlords who will drop the Winged Dragon Of Ra on this thread and send it into the Shadow Realm.

Owenashi on

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I only got the 3DS game a while ago and it almost inspired me to get paper cards.

I mostly keep up with the news by watching Lithium2300's channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpgVzS0K0Jc

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    You mean ZEXAL World Duel Carnival? I wanted to get it but I heard they gutted a lot of the single-player stuff as well as it not having online capability AND missing cards. How does it play?

Speaking of the physical cards, a new expansion called Soul Fusion's coming out in a few days. Ican't believe one of my favorite families, Gravekeeper's, will be scoring new cards from it like this one.

JCJla0C.png
    While a “Gravekeeper's” monster and/or “Necrovalley” are on the field, all monsters your opponent controls lose 500 ATK/DEF. Once per turn, during the Main Phase, if you do not control a card in your Field Zone: You can activate 1 “Necrovalley” from your hand or GY. If this card is destroyed by your opponent’s card effect and sent to the GY: You can Set 1 “Necrovalley” Spell/Trap from your Deck, except “Necrovalley”.

Also, the archetype's FINALLY getting a Extra Deck Monster.

tPU8wX7.png
    2 “Gravekeeper's” monsters
    Gains ATK/DEF equal to the total original Levels of its Fusion Materials x 100. While “Necrovalley” is on the field, this card and cards in your Field Zone cannot be destroyed by card effects. During your Main Phase: you can activate this effect; Add 1 “Gravekeeper’s” monster or 1 “Necrovalley” card from your Deck to your hand during the End Phase of this turn. You can only this effect of "Gravekeeper's Supernaturalist" once per turn.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    can anyone tell me what this card does

latest?cb=20070617033710

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2018

latest?cb=20070617033710

Help get the Forbidden/Limited Card list started.

Proper answer: draw two cards.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Owenashi wrote: »
    You mean ZEXAL World Duel Carnival? I wanted to get it but I heard they gutted a lot of the single-player stuff as well as it not having online capability AND missing cards. How does it play?

It was alright. A little outdated and it could have used more cards.

Bujin and Fire Fist got me through the game and didn't bother much with the campaign. There you can build decks from predefined lists for each protagonanists.

Gravekeepers ain't doing much. It's all about the link spam.

BTW, Black Luster Soldier got a Link monster. So cool.

44317390_1116579291844631_3449493122537488384_n.png?_nc_cat=1&oh=cdf733bb892da11cbcc8f6d6d6be9c8e&oe=5C58771D
    Black Luster Soldier, the Chaos Warrior
    EARTH/Warrior/Link/Effect
    3000 ATK / LINK-3
    Link Arrows: Top, Bottom-Left, Bottom-Right

3 monsters with different names

(1) If this card was Link Summoned using a Level 7 or higher monster, it cannot be targeted by an opponent's card effect, nor can it be destroyed by an opponent's card effect.
    (2) When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can activate 1 of these effects.
    -This card gains 1500 ATK.
    -This card can make a second attack during the Battle Phase of your next turn.
    -Banish 1 card on the field.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod

latest?cb=20070617033710

I was just making a joke, apparently pot of greed is a meme because of the way they spell out its card text every time it shows up in the anime

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

I was just making a joke, apparently pot of greed is a meme because of the way they spell out its card text every time it shows up in the anime

Look for a card named Mistaken Arrest. Poor Sangan.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

Bujin and Fire Fist got me through the game and didn't bother much with the campaign. There you can build decks from predefined lists for each protagonanists.

44317390_1116579291844631_3449493122537488384_n.png?_nc_cat=1&oh=cdf733bb892da11cbcc8f6d6d6be9c8e&oe=5C58771D
    3000 ATK / LINK-3

(1) If this card was Link Summoned using a Level 7 or higher monster, it cannot be targeted by an opponent's card effect, nor can it be destroyed by an opponent's card effect.
    (2) When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle: You can activate 1 of these effects.

I don't understand and also hate this.

This is how people felt about planeswalkers, isn't it.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Doubt it. Links placed restrictions on Extra Deck abuse.

Problem is they also made really good Link monsters.

But if you played decks worth more than $200 you probably didn't like them.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I managed to pull a firelink dragon but what I really want is for my El Shaddoll Construct to be unbanned cowards

Oh hey the shaddoll link came out as well nifty

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Wasn't it removed from the list in Japan?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Ilpala wrote: »

3000 ATK / LINK-3

I don't understand and also hate this.

This is how people felt about planeswalkers, isn't it.

If you're talking about the newer types of monsters and summoning, yeah, it's gotten a bit complicated lately. Like I mentioned in the OP earlier, they actually made two new card-spaces above the regular monster-card line just for Links, regulating the other Extra-Deck monsters to those spots as well if they're normally brought out.

POMa7vw.png

Owenashi on
  • Options
    For those playing Duel Links, you might be interested to know that the second 5Ds box was leaked recently. A mini-box called Power Of Bravery, it's primary archetype is Lua's (AKA Leo in the dub) Morphtronics as well as his ace card Power Tool Dragon. The box also includes the Scrap archetype.

Also, if you haven't checked in lately, the Cyberdark event has started. Earn enough points battling Zane Truesdale's (Ryo Marufuji) Season 2 emo-self and you can unlock him as a selectable character as well as earn Cyberdark cards. You know, if you're into listening 'Crawling In My Skin' while you play.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Man, I haven't played this since the XYZ stuff. Pendulums and Links are kind of intimidating me, but I guess I'll probably get used to it after a few games.

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I'll be going to YCS London (only because it's happening at the same time my sister invited me to visit her). I'm strongly considering using either my counter fairy deck (using Condemned Witch from Soul Fusion) or a burn deck using 3 copies of Michion, the Timelord.

Condemned Witch

"When this card is Normal Summoned: You can add 1 “Forbidden” Quick-Play Spell from your Deck to your hand. During your opponent’s Main Phase (Quick Effect): You can Tribute this card; Special Summon 1 Level 4 Fairy monster from your Deck, except “Condemned Witch”. You can only use each effect of “Condemned Witch” once per turn."

Michion, the Timelord

"Cannot be Special Summoned from the Deck. If you control no monsters, you can Normal Summon this card without Tributing. Cannot be destroyed by battle or card effects. You take no battle damage from attacks involving this card. At the end of the Battle Phase, if this card battled: Halve your opponent’s LP. Once per turn, during your Standby Phase: Shuffle this card into the Deck."

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Duel Links is fun stuff 👍

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    It's pretty good but I wish it had an option to allow standard duels. I know it's a mobile game but it'd be nice to be able to play a full game with someone with all the space needed for five Monster cards and five Spell/Trap cards along with the strategy to go with them. I think one of the reasons they're only up to 5D'S-era cards (though they do have some archetypes beyond that) is because they've had to take their time in figuring out which cards work in the three-card field and which won't.

• Options
    Don't they have another app for that Duel Generations?

I am quite enjoying it as I stopped playing before synchros were even a thing (never mind all the stuff after that), so it's nice to have it closer to what I remember . Also needing only 20 cards to a deck makes it a lot easier to acquire cards for a deck imo

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Yes, made it as far as getting Cyberdarkness Dragon in Duel Links' Cyberdark event. Just need to fight Zane a few more times in the hopes of padding out what Cyberdark Monster cards I do have as I've gotten a lot of Keels but only one Edge and two Horns. Also, I'm stocked full of Cannons but I only have one Claw.

• Options
    Yeah, it was my first event and spent a lot of time trying to get his drops, ended up with lots of everything but only got one cyberdark dragon and two impacts (got my 2nd one on the last day too )

• Options
    edited October 2018
    A new, nearly identical event has started in Duel Links, this time featuring 5D's Tetsu Trudge (Tetsu Ushio). He was Yusei's first rival in the show, showing off the Speed Duel aspect of the show. He also happened to be Yami Yugi's first victim opponent as you can see in the OP. He's got what seems like most of his cards available save for Goyo Guardian which ended up on the Forbidden list for a while. That said, it doesn't stop him from using it on you much like Zane not sharing Cyberdark Inferno in the last event. Instead, players get Goyo Chaser as his top card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB6u3PAYcMc

Here's a look at Tetsu and Goyo Guardian in action for those wanting a better understanding of how their playstyle works.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Sorry for the double-post but I wanted to share probably one of the craziest rounds of Spell-card juggling I've seen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DuelLinks/comments/9swffk/duel_replay_so_i_heard_you_guys_hate_spellbooks/

• Options
    When I tried to get back into the paper game, veteran players recommended me Ritual Beasts.

Nope.

I had some money to throw away, not time.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Blackwing box coming out on Monday! Missing the good tuners though

• Options
    Behold! Retrains of old cards: https://ygorganization.com/thelegendsarefromthepast/

- Blue-Eyes Alternative Ultimate Dragon
    - Magician of Black Chaos MAX
    - Exodia, Master of The Guard
    - Palladium Oracle Mana
    - Red-Eyes Alternative Black Dragon
    - Neo Kaiser Glider

And few more on the site.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    With the release of the Sisters of the Rose set, I'm thinking of rebuilding my Harpie deck, just for fun.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I have never played this game and I doubt I’ll ever get into it, but I still want to say: “You’ve activated my trap card!” out loud some day.

• Options
    Isn't Duel Links f2p? You could try that.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I will consider it. But I don’t know if it will meet my need to shout something condescending to an oddly dressed person while a light breeze moves my poorly animated jacket.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    So you are more of a Kaiba person?

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    If anything, I'm a Joey.

Also, new banned list wrecked the side deck of my lightsworns, because it had the Brilliant Fusion engine in it. Now I need to build a new side deck, and I have no idea what cards to pick.

• Options
    Speaking off of the ban-list, guess who finally got off the Forbidden side of it.

• Options
    With an errata. Good for making Rank 8s.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    In case anyone is interested in Jump Force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpZUZ5qjhyY

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    It's hilarious how he's so dirty but his hair remains immaculate as ever

• Options
    Legacy of the Duelist: https://ygorganization.com/noworldwideevolutionforlinksyet/
    A new non-Mobile video game gets announced for Yu-Gi-Oh!

A new game is announced, and will be released on the Nintendo Switch.

Fight with the tactical card game with the current “New Master Rule” rule set, where you can Duel characters from every era, as well as people across Japan.

Further information will be announced in the next issue of V Jump. (i.e. 21st-ish of February 2019)

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Last Yu-Gi-Oh I played was Master of the Cards for the Wii.

I have the dreadful feeling that if picked up the Switch Yu-Gi-Oh there'd be a bunch of new kinds of monsters around that I'd be pretty darn lost. Most likely my old 'Lock down the board, then win with Fire Princess' strategy from the DS games isn't going to work any more.

• Options
    Well, it's gonna include Link monsters.

Firewall Dragon did enable burn loops but it's likely gonna be banned.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I always build a lightsworn deck in the video games, if the cards are available.

They've already banned Firewall Dragon in the tcg, they'll probably ban it in the switch game too.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Kaiba in Jump-whatever??