As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Teen [Titans] Go!

Launched through the new DCU streaming service the first series to make its debut this week was Titans. Unlike the Arrow-Verse this new live action universe seems to have embraced the edginess from the Martha!verse, with the mixed response from critics to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2nN_CC-Us8&frags=pl%2Cwn

The cast:

mqdefault.jpg

Robin/Richard "Dick" Grayson (Brenton Thwaites)
A former partner/sidekick to Batman who left Gotham to forge his own super-heroic path. Favorite phrase: "Fuck Batman."

raven.jpg?resize=735%2C413&ssl=1

Raven/Rachel Roth (Teagan Croft)
A confused, tormented young girl who is possessed and being hunted down by a cult.

l0tx3ht128c11.jpg

Starfire/Koriand'r/Kory Anders (Anna Diop)
A woman who woke up with amnesia in a car, with powers she doesn't understand - instinctively trying to track down Raven for unknown reasons.

Titans-Beast-Boy.jpg

Beast Boy/Garfield Logan (Ryan Potter)
A former member of the Doom Patrol who can shapeshifter into animals

alan-ritchson-minka-kelly-titans-hawk-dove.jpg

Dove (Minka Kelly)
A woman dressed like Big Bird, who murders people.

Hawk (Allan Richardson- he was Aquaman AC on Smallville)
The manifestation of Chaos, who is Dove's partner.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    It sort of looks like the Titans are all from separate Elseworlds. That’s not a comment for good or ill, just a statement.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I watched the pilot.

It was about what I expected it to be. I didn't love it, and I didn't hate it. It was just kind of there.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I don't think I can actually bring myself to watch the pilot after the trailer. I'll just keep my memory of the original cartoon instead.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    ...man what the hell why is H&D not the Hall brothers.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Gender parity?

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Gender parity?

There is a more to gain from having a non-toxic heroic guy, I feel.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Gender parity?

There is a more to gain from having a non-toxic heroic guy, I feel.

They could have done that with literally almost every male on this team, and that slot on this show seems to be taken by Beast Boy. And the team gender dynamic is split equally with a female Dove. Dawn Granger's cool, and the actress is talented - it's a pity this show isn't the Teen Titans at their peak.

DRJb9vpV4AAHpYE.jpg

• Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    The first episode was surprisingly not shit. I was expecting it to be shit. The production value was decent. The directing was okay.

Unfortunately, none of the characters resemble their comic book counterparts.

Starfire is a sociopath? Wakes up remembering nothing. Beats people up. Burns them alive. And she doesn't look freaked out, doesn't feel any strong emotions. Robin is angsty and edgy and full of rage. Very violent. Raven is super adorable. She sold the show for me. She scared and vulnerable. Unfortunately, that's nothing like Raven's characterization in any other media.

Beast Boy is CGI.

I really was pleasantly surprised while watching this. I was expecting to cringe and not stop cringing. Instead, I barely cringed at all. Mostly at Robin. I feel like he needs another decade before he's believable as a police detective.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I haven't seen it but it looks bad to me.

I wish DC would stop trying to be Marvel at this point and just renew the animated universe.

Also where is cyborg? Oh right oops they put him in Justice League.

Is this gonna be one of those "shared universe" things where the show constantly references the movies, but the movies never reference the show?

Gaah I know I shouldn't dump all over it without watching first but it just looks so bad...

RT800 on
  • Options
    RT800 wrote: »
    I haven't seen it but it looks bad to me.

I wish DC would stop trying to be Marvel at this point and just renew the animated universe.

Also where is cyborg? Oh right oops they put him in Justice League.

Is this gonna be one of those "shared universe" things where the show constantly references the movies, but the movies never references the show?

They're bringing Young Justice back for a third season on the service. Their New 52 based animated movie line ins't half bad, with the occasional weird AF concept like that Batman in ancient Japan movie.

Yeah.

It's a shared universe in that this is the start of their own little universe on the streaming service, supposedly at least Doom Patrol (which will be getting a series and is in production) will cross over via Beast Boy. Forget the movies, this has nothing to do with the movies - aside from the 90's edginess.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    The first episode was surprisingly not shit. I was expecting it to be shit. The production value was decent. The directing was okay.

Starfire is a sociopath? Wakes up remembering nothing. Beats people up. Burns them alive. And she doesn't look freaked out, doesn't feel any strong emotions. Robin is angsty and edgy and full of rage. Very violent. Raven is super adorable. She sold the show for me. She scared and vulnerable. Unfortunately, that's nothing like Raven's characterization in any other media.

Beast Boy is CGI.

I really was pleasantly surprised while watching this. I was expecting to cringe and not stop cringing. Instead, I barely cringed at all. Mostly at Robin. I feel like he needs another decade before he's believable as a police detective.

Also, "I transferred from Gotham and had problems with my last partner" and "hey look fucking ROBIN is in Detroit!" seems pretty ridiculous.

Like, I give it two episodes before his partner figures it out.

I liked Robin enough, I just wish it was Jason Todd. It would make the show make so much more sense.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

Beast Boy is CGI.

Also, "I transferred from Gotham and had problems with my last partner" and "hey look fucking ROBIN is in Detroit!" seems pretty ridiculous.

Like, I give it two episodes before his partner figures it out.

I liked Robin enough, I just wish it was Jason Todd. It would make the show make so much more sense.

Show spoiler
    IMDB has someone listed as being Jason Todd in 12 episodes, so it appears he will be involved.

I’m probably going to end up getting this service at least for a short time once Young Justice drops, and will probably try Titans out then, but from the trailer and what has been said here, I don’t have high hopes based off of what appears to be dramatic change to Starfire’s backstory and personality.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    So, this happened this week.

NSFW - violence

What's the Batman like in this universe? Titans' Robin makes Nolan's Batman look like Adam West's Batman in comparison.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    "Jesus."

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    So, this happened this week.

NSFW - violence

What's the Batman like in this universe? Titans' Robin makes Nolan's Batman look like Adam West's Batman in comparison.

I figure this universe's Batman must fall somewhere between Gerard Butler's character in Law Abiding Citizen and Jigsaw from the Saw movies.

RT800 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Robin is a teenager so I imagine Titans' Robin is extremely nice and kind to everyone.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Robin is a teenager so I imagine Titans' Robin is extremely nice and kind to everyone.

Weirdly, it's like they switched the persona's between Jason and Dick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxkOWmImhXo&frags=pl%2Cwn

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’ve yet to watch this but I’ve decided it’s various Elseworlds merged together, it’s the only thing that makes sense.

I suspect Grant Morrison as Time Trapper (as Grant Morrison) will appear soon, and Animal Man, Brainiac 5 and The Phantom Lady will save the day.

• Options
    I’ve yet to watch this but I’ve decided it’s various Elseworlds merged together, it’s the only thing that makes sense.

I suspect Grant Morrison as Time Trapper (as Grant Morrison) will appear soon, and Animal Man, Brainiac 5 and The Phantom Lady will save the day.

Yeah I picture the Arrowverse being all "man, this Titans Earth was apparently like REALLY close to that Nazi Earth on the parallel dimension stack and shit just kind of went dark"

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Titans really strikes me as having a lot of potential, fine actors and performances, a decent budget, and an interesting setup. So far the worst things are the cheap-as-fuck CGI blood and their tendency to just ever so slightly ruin a good thing.

(spoilers for first two eps)
    It seems clear to me that Starfire was acting more like Blackfire before her amnesia. Fine and good--the "I was a horrible person" personal arc is fine, regardless of how the character gets to "but I want to be better now". But then she reveals she's still kind of a terrible person? Like, the burning I have no problem with; that was clearly reflexive. But no Starfire should ever murder someone after promising to get them help in exchange for information and then getting that information. Even if they are definitely some variety of hired muscle or hitman. The giggle at the burned dudes isn't as bad but still doesn't fit, to me. . If it wasn't for those two things she'd be far and away my favorite part of the show, but they just kind of...wreck it for me? Everything else is good; we'll see how she shakes out once she meets the rest of the cast

Beast Boy seems...like...pointless? "I want these video games but I can't afford them. I know, I'll turn into a green tiger and break into a conspicuously mid-low tier electronics chain to steal them." It feels to me like they couldn't think of a way to fit in a Beast Boy scene in the first two or three eps but still have three minutes in episode 1 to fill so they just did whatever the first person thought of. Starfire didn't show up in episode 2 either but she at least at least a third of episode 1 to herself.

Rachel/Raven is fine. Probably the best realized and most likeable character so far--terrified of being abandoned and desperately afraid of yet reliant on her own power.

Dick definitely feels like a mashup of the various Robins, which makes the appearance of another Robin who's joined up with Batman later in the season feel doubly weird. His name and arc is that of Dick, but character wise he's more like Jason, and he fights like a combination of Tim (with the staff) and Damien (with the brutality).

Hawk and Dove are all right, I guess; I don't know if they're going to be more than guest stars at the moment. I wish Hawk were more than just a meathead. Supposedly they're going for Order and Chaos rather than Peace and War, which would explain Dove's viciousness but makes no sense because these two appear to just be street vigilantes, not embodiments of any cosmic forces at all. I guess Dove was a bit less brutal in the four-years-ago flashback, but if there's any hero on this should who should never draw blood it's here. Also I don't know if it was deliberate but between the actor's features and makeup effects he looks a lot like if Chris Pratt were more hard-living. And also I recall there being something about "Hawk and Dove were out of balance because a previous Hawk/Dove was killed and the person who replaced them wasn't fit for the role" explaining their savage fighting...but then it seems like Dove might (probably not, but maybe) die next ep, and there's never a reference to a previous Hawk/Dove.

And to whomever was worried that Dick's partner was going to figure out his identity, guess not! Seemingly tortured to death by the Nuclear Family, who are suitably creeptastic. ...wait, did Dick's partner know where he was? I don't think so. Unless she told them how to track his phone or something?

See what I mean? Always something just slightly spoiling an otherwise very good product.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I just love Doves cloak.
    "So it's bullet proof and rather stiff, but very lightweight. If I wear it as body armor it will leave gaps, and I need something that will give me full protection from at least one direction yet a lot of mobility. Like a cloak? Still rather stiff though so how do I increase flexibility? Turn it into a scalemail-like garment maybe? You mean like a birds wing?"

But overall the level of violence makes me feel that they should have gone with expys. Robin and Raven are both approaching full-breakdown. Which is fine as a part of a darker superhero story, especially since the story seems to be going for "Kindred souls and we can help each other to be human", but not something I want to see happen to Robin and Raven.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    I just love Doves cloak.
    "So it's bullet proof and rather stiff, but very lightweight. If I wear it as body armor it will leave gaps, and I need something that will give me full protection from at least one direction yet a lot of mobility. Like a cloak? Still rather stiff though so how do I increase flexibility? Turn it into a scalemail-like garment maybe? You mean like a birds wing?"

:biggrin:
    But overall the level of violence makes me feel that they should have gone with expys. Robin and Raven are both approaching full-breakdown. Which is fine as a part of a darker superhero story, especially since the story seems to be going for "Kindred souls and we can help each other to be human", but not something I want to see happen to Robin and Raven.

Among the entire cast Raven is the only one who captures the concept faithfully. Sure, they exercise artistic license with her but how she's executed feels very close to the concept. Similar to what the MCU does with its adaptions, like Bullseye and Kingpin in Netflix Daredevil. Solid performance from the actress, organic story and reactions - the only thing I don't like is how they CGI her "super-power." I've only seen snippets from You Tube so I don't have a full grasp of Beast Boy or Starfire yet.

Hawk is fine, it's Dove where they go all wrong. They have her so close to right out of costume from the scenes I've viewed while in costume she's a psychopath.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Been watching this on Netflix lately, up to episode 5 I think.

Wasnt sure about it at first but I am starting to enjoy it. The only thing I am iffy on is some of the shit CG.. Beastboy as a tiger is just terrible.

Starfire is my favorite so far even though the amnesia shtick is played out. Digging Robin more, even more so when he explains why he left and why he is so grimdark as Robin.

Raven is a likeable character but once again meh CG. Gar the character is also likeable and I just wish they coughed up some bucks to make his animal form not look like shit.

Cameo stuff
    Unnfff loved the Doom Patrol episode I would watch more of that in a second. Seeing Hawk and Dove was pretty cool even though they are just costumed vigilantes and have no powers. I really liked the Family that was hunting Raven, very cool and creepy. Will watch the rest of the first season soon

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »

Wasnt sure about it at first but I am starting to enjoy it. The only thing I am iffy on is some of the shit CG.. Beastboy as a tiger is just terrible.

Starfire is my favorite so far even though the amnesia shtick is played out. Digging Robin more, even more so when he explains why he left and why he is so grimdark as Robin.

Raven is a likeable character but once again meh CG. Gar the character is also likeable and I just wish they coughed up some bucks to make his animal form not look like shit.

Cameo stuff
    [/Spoiler] Unnfff loved the Doom Patrol episode I would watch more of that in a second. Seeing Hawk and Dove was pretty cool even though they are just costumed vigilantes and have no powers. I really liked the Family that was hunting Raven, very cool and creepy. Will watch the rest of the first season soon [/Spoiler]
    I like The Family and I liked the mansion with the misfit heroes and I liked Starfire. Everything else is just very very over the top bad and needlessly grimdark and violent. It is clear they are doing everything in their power to avoid ever having Beastboy do anything because CGI in this universe must cost billions.

• Options
    darkmayo wrote: »

Cameo stuff
    Unnfff loved the Doom Patrol episode I would watch more of that in a second. Seeing Hawk and Dove was pretty cool even though they are just costumed vigilantes and have no powers. I really liked the Family that was hunting Raven, very cool and creepy. Will watch the rest of the first season soon
    The Doom Patrol are getting their own tv show. Coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7fROyILwzk

I don't know why they put Cyborg with them, rather than Titans.