As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do you put a case on your phone?

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
In which we holler about otterboxen and popsockets until we drop our phones.

I have not used a case for the decade I’ve had my smartphones, but I did buy the Apple leather case for my new phone because I heard the back was slippery. And because the buttons aren’t ass and it doesn’t make my phone an unwieldy nightmare. But I also grab Applecare just to be safe.

I guess you can also talk about screen protectors, cause I heard you like glass on your glass.

YL9WnCY.png

Do you put a case on your phone? 187 votes

Yes, and it’s super durable.
20%
WhippyMacro9PMAversMunkus BeaverButlerAshcroftAl_wattynicbowensarukuntsplitterSilverWindTrenogwebguy20OlivawMechMantisCraigopogoGrey GhostPeewiEnd 39 votes
Yea, but only moderately durable.
36%
LegacyNothing#pipeMulysaSemproniusTheBlackWindRaijin QuickfootHouk the NamebringerIndie WinterKadithBendery It Like BeckhamWeaverLindsay LohancrwthOne Thousand CablesBeef AvengerDoodmannGreenPerrsunDJ EebsDouglasDanger 68 votes
Yup, but mostly for aesthetics and/ or other features.
5%
Kane Red RobeStericaVeldrinJandaruCentipede Damascusadejaan101Lost SalientBethalizDr. Flamingo 10 votes
No, but I have a protection plan.
4%
ASimPersonDrezSanderJKrhylithSkeithSir PlatypusjgeisDongs Galore 8 votes
Nay, for I am no coward.
32%
MachwingShortyTubeLord DaveHenroidDarmakSnorkInquisitorJasconiusGarthorJaven-SPI-ph blakeGrobianbsjezzBlueBlueStraightziTallahasseerielAphostilespono 61 votes
I don’t own a phone, you bougie fucks.
0%
Virgil_Leads_You 1 vote

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I haven't found a case cool enough for my flip phone.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Mine's pretty durable I think, but somehow part of the back plate got damaged so "moderately durable" it is.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I have a leather case with slots for cards in the front and a little magnet strap to hold it closed

It's saved me from cracking the screen more than once and it's not a pain to open or close ever

I would never get a case that did not have something similar

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    ye ye, it's a plastic case that i customized with a cool sticker my friend made.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Absolutely. It's a hard plastic thing with a photo of mine on the back. I also have a front cover that is clear plastic that doesn't interfere with the touch screen.

And despite many drops, the phone itself has stayed well intact up until the point where I have to get a new one. So I totally reccomend having an outer casing.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I didn't have a case for any of my phones for the longest time, then I got one of those rubber bumper cases for the cheap little Samsung phone I got when my S3 finally gave up the ghost, that was fine is a little goofy looking. I got the same kind of case again for my Xperia Z3 but managed to break the back twice and the screen once despite the case. Now with my Nokia 8 I have a folio case because I don't want to bust it while I'm working.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I've been using the same case for 2 phones now, since early 2013. the case has been super strong and somehow has kept my phones from being damaged despite how many times I've dropped it

the case is starting to get damaged a little bit though

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I drop my phone a lot so now I keep it in a chunky vibrantly coloured case

london-phone-booth-rhianna-lederman-canvas-print.jpg

it's less portable but at least I can always find it

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    I work construction, grading and demolition. Tons of dirt and rocks. My phone is currently sans case.

I bought and tried and otterbox which made my phone huge but dust would just get INSIDE the otterbox and then scratch the screen from there. Without the box I get scratches from dust getting into my pocket.

I'm trying to figure out a good solution, thoughts? Maybe a screen protector and a thin case?

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    i had a really nice case for my iphone 7 some time ago, with an expanded battery, and it ended up failing (no charge)

since then I've gone without and I must say this phone has taken much more punishment than I expected it to survive

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    I used to drop my phone a lot but when I got a new phone I got a case and now I don't drop it at all

I guess it's just easier to grip

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    my iphone 4 is caseless and practically pristine

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    The Galaxy Note 8 is a big phone and putting a case on it made it just a little bit too big, so I go without and just suck it up and pay $8 a month for insurance.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    No case for my phone. Don't really want one, I don't really have it out when moving around and my monstrous hands curl around it in a way to make it falling pretty difficult.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Waterproof Lifeproof fre cases are standard issue at my company for all mobiles and they make a huge difference in the amount of broken and damaged phones given the heavy construction and field component elements of our work. They are also drop resistant and cracked screens are rare since they got implemented. The big drawback is the mic/speaker for the phone functio requires a bit more precise positioning.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    I always crack my beautiful phone's screen by dropping it and then get a solid casing for it after
    I never learn

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I didn't and then someone launched my phone off a bench two days after I'd started a new job and instantly ruined the screen, so I've since taken precautions to avoid this

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    God my S3 was a fucking tank. That screen was damn near invincible - it survived multiple falls out of various pockets onto dirt, concrete, into drums of smashed rock gold ore, onto the metal floor of mine vehicles... The screen was fine, the plastic back was cracked, chipped, scratched and dented. I forget what eventually broke the screen, but I know that whatever it was it fucked it up real bad. It happened in Melbourne when I was at AusPAX which is why I had to get an emergency shitty phone for cheap.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    usually i keep my phone in a really durable case

but i got a new phone as a birthday gift last year and it's a weird nonsense phone that you can't really make a case for because of its form factor

and it's killing me to watch it slowly get dinged and scratched as time goes on

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I can't seem to find a decent slim case with raised face edges any more and it is driving me bananas

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You wanted the nightmare spawn of a 3ds and the N-Gage

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have a fairly tough case. All the corners of it are broken from being dropped so much so that's probably a sign having the case is a good idea? I don't have a screen protector, and the screen has been cracked since about 3.5 days after I got the phone

Best thing about my case is it has a little kickstand on the back to prop the phone up while I'm watching the tubes. That broke recently though so it keeps falling over :(

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    My old 5s iphone was a tank, and beat to hell. When I got my X I decided to put it into a lifeproof FRE case, because the phone is huge and slippery. I have to carry a phone for work sometimes and it's an iphone 8s+ and and having two big ass phones with cases in my pocket sucks. I'm getting wear spots in my jeans.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Oh oh can we talk about tempered glass screen protectors for a second?

Tempered glass screen protectors are great at protecting your screen and also slicing up your freaking hands

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Sterica wrote: »
    You wanted the nightmare spawn of a 3ds and the N-Gage

I didn't really! My dad just watches a lot of unboxing videos for random shit and my mom doesn't know how to express affection aside from buying overpriced gifts!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I have a case but no screen protector. Also have the protection plan.

This is generally how I roll, though the first smartphone I ever got had the screen protector too, until I got annoyed with it.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    I never screw around with my phone when it's on my person so it's in good shape, even without a case.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I drop my phone a lot so now I keep it in a chunky vibrantly coloured case

london-phone-booth-rhianna-lederman-canvas-print.jpg

it's less portable but at least I can always find it

You can't fool me, that's a spaceship.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I can't seem to find a decent slim case with raised face edges any more and it is driving me bananas

the case I have is from gelaskins, and it's a hardcase with raised face edges, maybe check them out?

• Options
    I have a fairly tough case. All the corners of it are broken from being dropped so much so that's probably a sign having the case is a good idea? I don't have a screen protector, and the screen has been cracked since about 3.5 days after I got the phone

Best thing about my case is it has a little kickstand on the back to prop the phone up while I'm watching the tubes. That broke recently though so it keeps falling over :(

There are a couple of companies that make ruggedised smart phones for things like mining companies and private military contractors, but the internals are always at least a few generations old (so you're effectively spending brand new flagship phone money to get a ugly heavy Galaxy S5 with a smaller screen), and the ones I just Googled quickly were all running Android 5.1.1 for some reason? That's also three major generations behind. Which, damn...

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I had a case but things happened and it fell apart. Haven't gotten around to buying a new one yet.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I'm pretty much on the 2-year treadmill for phones at this point, so I guess I don't really see the point.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Oh oh can we talk about tempered glass screen protectors for a second?

Tempered glass screen protectors are great at protecting your screen and also slicing up your freaking hands

Mine is currently cracked. I couldn't find a normal screen protector, and this came in a pack of two. I can't seem to find the package the second one was in, and I am reluctant to but a new one since I am cheap.
    I do like my hands to not be sliced up, however, so I may just buy a new one to replace the cracked one..

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I always get the mid-range Otterbox and a screen protector, but with my current phone because of the curved screen the screen protector had like a billion-step process to put it on including leaving it alone overnight so I stuck it in a drawer and forgot about it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    Henroid wrote: »
    I never screw around with my phone when it's on my person so it's in good shape, even without a case.

Last time this kind of conversation came up I got yelled at for not realizing people apparently drop stuff and that I'M the weird one for being able to hold onto a phone. I was also being a condescending prick about it, so maybe that was it

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My phones would have an average lifespan measured in hours if I didn't use an OtterBox.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    As @sassori can verify by the number of times I have spilled or broken something in her house, I'm incredibly clumsy

So I buy the biggest, least likely to fit in a pocket option OtterBox sells, because I drop it at least once or twice a day, and the only time it failed me was when I accidentally crushed my Pixel between steel and concrete

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    My phone needs to fit in my pocket and the overwhelming majority of cases aren't compatible with that so it's no case for me.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I didn't get one when I got my s7 edge because I got a protection plan and the cost to replace the screen was only like fifty bucks.
    Then I dropped it and completely bricked the phone's internals a month and a a half later.
    Even with the protection plan it cost about 250 to get a new one.

Now I have a case, and it's been in similar drops at least a couple dozen times and no cracks or broken functionality.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Nay, for I am no coward.
    Phones are too damn big and putting a case on my phone would make it even bigger