As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] New Series Starts May 11th

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    The "Everybody Lives!" bit was a great Eccleston moment. Also, his regeneration speech was good.

There are lots of great moments in New Who.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Here is the last screen appearance of Hartnell.
    https://youtu.be/kDUCrOOFyWQ

• Options
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    The family and I at ComicCon.
    tardis.jpg

sig.gif
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    That is awesome.

Please tell me someone yelled, " Donna Noble has left the Con." when you walked out.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    That is awesome.

Please tell me someone yelled, " Donna Noble has left the Con." when you walked out.

Sorry, no. But one woman was looking at Doctor Who backpacks in the shops then turned around and saw us, and in her words "it gave her chills".

sig.gif
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    That is awesome.

Sorry, no. But one woman was looking at Doctor Who backpacks in the shops then turned around and saw us, and in her words "it gave her chills".

Did you tell her you're sorry...so sorry?
    Give her a right heart attack.

• Options
    Geez. Tennant had five kids since 2011 and the eldest is already pursuing acting.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2019/10/doctor-who-star-david-tennant-and-wife-georgia-welcome-fifth-child

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Geez. Tennant had five kids since 2011 and the eldest is already pursuing acting.

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2019/10/doctor-who-star-david-tennant-and-wife-georgia-welcome-fifth-child

The metaness of their relationship is still fucking with me

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

The metaness of their relationship is still fucking with me

Sigmund Freud would take one look at the overall structure of that family and go "Nope. I'm out.".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Tennant kind of owes it all to Doctor Who.

• Options
    You could almost say the whole thing is pretty disturbing. Guy grows up watching Doctor Who. Becomes an actor specifically to be the Doctor. Then gets into good standings with and marries into the family of the man who played the Doctor when he was growing up. Bonus creepy points for marrying the daughter of the man, who also literally played his daughter in an episode.

Dude could come out on TV, look at the camera, and say "Exactly as planned.", and nobody would have a rebuttal. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    What can you say, the hearts want what they want

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I really don't see the issue, once you factor in that the chronology of the Doctor is fiction.

She was never a part of the Fifth Doctor's tenure. She played a single episode role as an adult, who was a clone, not a daughter, even if that's how they ended it.

Granted, there's an age difference, but she's only two years younger than Billie Piper, and that on-screen relationship wasn't controversial.

Unless the reports that they met on set are wrong, and he's been creeping on her for a good decade plus before that, I just don't see how this is any different to Michael C. Hall and Jennifer Carpenter, or any other couples meeting on set with familial roles.

They met, they probably spent a lot of time talking while the cameras were off, they kept talking after the job was finished, fell in love, got married, had children. That she's related to someone who already had that role is just... I dunno how to define how irrelevant I found it.

If Henry Cavill met Alexandra Reeve, as adults, and got married, I can't begin to descibe how little I'd give a crap. It's a nice trivia thing, but nothing beyond that.

• Options
    Oh to be clear, there's not a thing wrong with it. It's just really weird how it all turned out. But funny weird, not "weird weird".

• Options
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Oh to be clear, there's not a thing wrong with it. It's just really weird how it all turned out. But funny weird, not "weird weird".

During a Graham Norton interview Tennant described his marriage as “statistically quite unlikely.”

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I watched the Silence in the Library episodes recently and man, going back to the the whole River Song thing was interesting.

Must have been very odd for Kingston to play her 'death' scene on her first episode.

And just confirmed how much I liked Tennant.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    I watched the Silence in the Library episodes recently and man, going back to the the whole River Song thing was interesting.

Must have been very odd for Kingston to play her 'death' scene on her first episode.

Interesting thing is she is supposed to be playing the oldest version of River.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Interesting thing is she is supposed to be playing the oldest version of River.

Yeah, they covered that, sorta, in the let’s kill hitler episode; she makes an offhand comment about ageing backwards while she’s regenerating.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I still felt her losing her regenerations was silly.

• Options
    I guess this thread is open spoilers.

• Options
    I guess this thread is open spoilers.

I mean, when we're talking about an episode that aired in 2011, yeah it is.

Spoilers are for current season/specials.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, how far away are we from the next thing?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    My God, has it been so long?

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

No Christmas special this year. Next season will be at some point in 2020.

sig.gif
  • Options
    2020 is going to be a weird year.

• Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    It still rubs me the wrong way that they decided to take a year off when they had just gotten started with 13. Chibnall, I curse your name.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    I think it will raise the stakes for them to do better episodes.

• Options
    I think it will raise the stakes for them to do better episodes.

Hope so. I think I'm in the minority where I enjoyed most of season 11. Definitely felt different from Moffat-era episodes but overall I enjoyed them. Bummed about not having a Christmas special this year.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    There's a VR game featuring Whittaker's Doctor (I think) coming out in November, for what it's worth.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    The last VR game was pretty entertaining.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I wonder whether that one was region-locked somehow; for me it doesn't show up on the Oculus Store, where it should be sold AFAIK.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    I watched a playthrough on YouTube.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    New Years was close enough, but no new Who over the festive break at all is going to be very weird. Very much settled in the nation’s consciousness at this point I think.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Holiday Who would have been great.

• Options
    I would think the first Tennant episode was the best Christmas episode. The Chirstmas Carol one was also pretty good.

• Options
    I would think the first Tennant episode was the best Christmas episode. The Chirstmas Carol one was also pretty good.

"A Christmas Carol" is the best standalone Christmas special, in my opinion. I used to use that to introduce my family to Who. :+1: Lots of the Christmas specials are very important to the plot (introduction/final episode with a Doctor), but "A Christmas Carol" is just a lovely, emotional, well done episode that uses the time travel element brilliantly.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    I like how he goes into the old man's past and shows him how he changed him.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    I actually quite liked the Husbands of River Song, it managed to give her a life and story and goals outside of the Doctor and it was actually quite a sweet ending.