As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFRK] One does not simply gacha into Mordor. (LOTR starts 3/8).

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Starting an event on Tuesday is weird as hell. Are we getting another one on Thursday?

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: Β»
    Attempting to replicate my famfrit sub30.

Managed to kill it even faster, once.

In two hours. Couldn't even kill it, period, for the rest of the two hours.

I am just a ball of sadomasochistic self loathing right now.

Funny story, I just upgraded to a new phone this week, and that improved my Famfrit clear rate from something like 20% to more like 80%. Not getting random massive input delays all the time during fights helps a lot when everything's riding on whether Edge can get his SSB off or not.

I jumped from an s5 to an s7, but didn't notice any increase in speed.

I don't understand how FFRK clears on YouTube have the first action around 0.95 seconds on Shelke and her kind. I'm usually at 1.12, and it gets progressively worse from there.

My problem with Famfrit is not enough W-casts in general and Imperil lightning procs from Edgar to push phase 2 fast enough to skip Waterja. I've left phase 1 with as many as 6 stacks, though 1 or 2 is most common.

Also tiny variations in ATB make different characters go first on different runs, which means multiple failed runs just to improper entry via muscle memory. This makes it hard to tell when RNG is going well enough for a clear, because some potentially good runs end prematurely due to my incompetence.

I had hoped to be able to determine what level of imperil is needed to reach phase 2 consistently, and what the odds of that happening is, because my muscle memory for phases 2 and 3 is horribly unpracticed, and I'd like to come to the conclusion whether this is a mathematically practical farming team.

My only conclusion is that I'm trash at active time games, and wish the timer would pause when it's someone's turn.

If you want to list out your full team, I can help you try to workshop it. I got one more +lightning sword from a realm draw, and I think that's put me over to where I don't have to get any doubles or imperils to clear the DPS checks for either phase one or phase two. Which is good, since the only double on my team is Edgar's LM2.

Re: ATB variations and characters acting in different orders. One of the smart people on Reddit mentioned that that can happen if two characters have similar speeds, but the faster one is in the lower slot. If the faster character is in a higher slot, you shouldn't see that as often. Though if the problem is uneven input delays or unequal cast times... also, Famfrit is a very slot-dependent fight, so you may not be able to move people around as freely as you would like.

Did the Cid Missions for the XV event. Had Ignis run Titan over with a train for the lols. Choo choo, mother ducker.

Right, so my initial clear was:
    Lightning Quadstrike x2 (USB) +DMG (LM2, R)
    Edgar Offer/Snipe (USB) +DMG (LM2, R)
    Aerith Curada/Protectga (USB2) Mako Might (LM2, R)
    Garnet Tritoch/Dispel (Chain) Ace Striker
    Onion Knight Ripper Bolt/Magic Breakdown (pUSB) DMT (LMR, W-Cast)
    Behemoth King

It's a super consistent ~35s clear, which could maybe push 32s with a little luck, but no faster.

I wanted to go faster, and made a YOLO team.

Lightning Quadstrike/Ripper Bolt (USB) +DMG (LM2, R)
    Garnet Tritoch/ATK Song (Chain) DMT
    Edge SiT/Flash Disaster (SSB2) Ace Striker (LM2)
    Edgar Offer/Snipe (USB TGM (LM2, R)
    TG Cid Banishing Strike/Stormspell Strike (OSB) MM (LM2, 1)
    Mimic Queen

This relies on a few of many things going right in the first 20%, so I push into phase 2 with Water Blink up, which eats Tsunami, I can shrug off Gravity, then put up edge SSB2 and ride it out the rest of the fight. This does not happen consistently, RNG wise, and is MUCH less forgiving on me, input wise, because I have to be SO fast and precise or else I fail to clear phase 1.

Phase 2 also requires a critical mass of DPS, or else I run out of SB meter for Edge and can't finish the fight.

If I manage to push phase 3, it's still a DPS race. Also timing the Dispel is tricky because each scenario it comes up in is different.

I don't know if there's a way to massage the first setup to go sub30, or to change the second clear to be a little more forgiving.

That's pretty similar to my team! Your Edgar is better (LMR), my Lightning is better (has Arcane to finish, though it's not necessarily required). I'm using Kain's chain instead of Garnet's, so I probably get a good deal more damage out of that character slot (Kain usually deals 4x9999 at the end of a chain, and his chain entries usually deal around 25k). On the other hand, your chain has more raw power, so your Edgar probably ends up dealing more damage per Snipe than mine.

Here's some things to try:
    - hone your lightning snipe to R5 if you haven't already
    - Lightning's RM should be +30% weakness, that's ever-so-slightly better for her than +weapon damage or +lightning damage
    - equip as much +lightning gear as you can, you'll be well over the ATK softcap, especially once Garnet's song gets rolling. If you don't have enough for everybody, Edgar is priority, and Orlandu is probably second. Don't forget that Lightning can use a spear if you have one. It may even be worthwhile to use something like Dagger's Dagger (of Daggering), though since you have a big-boy chain, maybe not
    - I have one Hades and one Darkmare in my loadout, but two Hades would be better
    - Garnet LD might help - having quickcast for the whole fight might get you an extra action or two.
    - it's probably worth rolling the dice on Offering for Edgar's first action, but if you're having trouble clearing the first phase in time, you might want to switch to Snipe as soon as the Chain is up (which should be by Edgar's second action). That said, for me, Edgar's actions are: Offering x4, USB, Snipe the rest of the time
    - Orlandu actions: call Raider, wait for chain to start, spellblade, OSB. Magicite when it's ready, OSB whenever you have meter. During the "wait," switch to Edge for a Flash Disaster, but don't try to switch to Edgar to input an action, that never ends well for me. I haven't quite worked out how to know when to do the Banishing Strike for Protect, since it varies so much based on Imperil stacks, BUT since everybody is acting super fast, it's pretty rare that Protect goes up at an unfortunate time.
    - Lightning actions: Thunder Quad x4, USB, Ripping Bolt a bunch, Arcane. Since you don't have the Arcane, you probably want to do a second USB when it's up
    - Kain's actions for me are: Chain, Cyclone Bolt, Lightning Dive x2, wait for Graviga to fill in the last bit of meter, repeat. No idea what you ought to be doing with Garnet, especially if you LD for quickcast, but ideally you're not any slower to put up the second Chain than I am.
    - team position matters a ton, so it gets a bunch of sub-points:

A) Edge should probably be in Slot 3 so that he gets the most meter from hits
    B) Slots 1 and 5 are getting hit for 9999 the first time they take a real hit, so no point giving them resist, they might as well have +30/35 mainstat accessories
    C) Slots 2-4 take the first Cannonade, so their HP gets set low the soonest. If you put your hitters in those slots, you'll get a little more early damage. Ideally those characters can take the hit without resist accessories, so they can also equip mainstat accessories. See if you can get there via Crystal Water, if necessary
    D) Slots 1-3 take the second Cannonade, which could potentially get someone meter to turn on a SB sooner (doesn't in my build)
    E) Slots 3-5 take the Cannonade in the last phase, which sometimes kills those slots. I like to have my heaviest hitters in 1-2 for a last hurrah

My order is (from top) Edgar, Lightning, Edge, Kain, Orlandu. I don't really want Kain in slot 4, but he has to take one of the first two Cannonades in order to have enough meter to refresh the chain in time. And I don't want him in slots 1-2 since his damage is not the best. Since Garnet has access to Valigarmanda, she may not need to take that hit, so you might be able to get away with putting her in slot 5. Also, I find that Orlandu is just short of meter to get one last OSB off, so having him take an extra Cannonade hit at some point might get him there. For you, I would try Edgar, Lightning, Edge, Orlandu, Garnet.

• DaffyddDaffydd Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Jragghen wrote: Β»
    Daffydd wrote: Β»
    When Damage Reflect is used, is the damage calculated before or after the damage is applied? That is, assuming that Evrae and Hades bonuses can affect Damage Reflect damage, which one is better for a combination Damage Reflect plus Last Stand strategy?

I don't think Evrae or Hades (or indeed, any magicite) affect Damage Reflect. Some enemies have a % modifier to the damage they take (either an increase or decrease) and that will change the reflected damage. Elemental Damage Reflect also factors elemental weakness, chain field, and chain count.

More importantly is that you don't WANT a last stand strategy. You want health. The damage dealt is actual damage dealt - if you're last stand strumming, the damage reflected would be piddly.

Yes, which is why I use Eiko for Ixion, not Edge or similar. I'm trying to refrain from saying "duh", and losing that battle. If I'm going to bother with Damage Reflect, I'd like to be able to whack into the Last Stand, instant heal+Last Stand to full, then repeat. With an imperil, an elemental Damage Reflect, and a good magicite deck, this produces repeated 5x9999.

Daffydd on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Did my ii draw. 2/11, dupe Josef BSB and minwu lmr

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    WoFF 100 gems: 3* nada.

Data for posterity:
    28 misses in a row

38/338 lifetime

5/83 this batch

14/95 2nd batch (about on EV for this batch.)

9/65 1st batch (0.1 items below EV, which is pretty much exactly expected return, though quite a few duds even on my hits)

Note to self: No whining, Rikku USB, never forget. Also Cloud BSB2, Mustadio USB, Water Chain (dupe), Seymour Chain, Basch USB, Nine USB, Sephiroth USB, Pecil USB1, Sice USB.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Cursed Painting Ends Tonight!

Also wow Dr. Mog is such a goose.

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Chocoshop Wednesday reminder.

Also I got my first 6* hit in the Daily Draw: Meliadoul USB.

Probably won't get a lot of use but it's a 6* earth boosting light armor, so definitely score. Now I can get the mental image of everyone having to wear Tifa's outfit out of my head.

Reddit reports a ~4% drop rate on Power Crystals from the 1 stamina Behemoth fight in the WoFF event. Probably not worth the sanity cost, since Power Crystals aren't especially useful, but it's there.

Now that I suddenly have items/people who warrant the 6* spellblades (and one of those is Bartz's glint, which wants R5), I want a ton, but 4% probably isn't worth the sanity.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    How tf do you beat this train. Jesus.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Hit it with lifesiphon/wrath/attack for 6 turns then retreat. Repeat.
    Train Jump Start is pretty easy.

38thDoE on steam

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: Β»
    How tf do you beat this train. Jesus.

Non element team, make sure you aren't reliant on the rw you bring with you because it gets overwritten. Or bring an rw that you can spam early like a Eiko usb to make early fight easier while building meter.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    Also, Astra if you have it. Diabolic Whistle may as well be Black Cauldron

Finally caught up on all content. Ish.
    No magicites for this week even though I can probably do Q I just don't have the effort in me right now.
    Did managed all the non CM content for all events and all of the seven paintings. Did the train with JS Famfrit team. Put in Relm for acceleration and didn't need astra.

38thDoE on steam

38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Hit it with lifesiphon/wrath/attack for 6 turns then retreat. Repeat.
    Train Jump Start is pretty easy.

this sounds promising. my non-ele teams are a bummer but with full meter maybe.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I just used my siren team with larsa usb as a healer for the train, killed it before it could do all that much really. Non-elemental still feels like a trap.

Maytag on
    3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
    edited November 2018
    Did my I draw. 4/11 one disco

WoI BSB, which is a break, sure.
    WoL LMR1 bleh
    WoL LMR2 cool
    WoL USB (does he have multiple? It's damage, enHoly, ability boost, and break damage cap when ex mode ends)

So now I've got his over, ultra, both lmr, and chain.

My WoL is uh... Kinda good now.

Jragghen on
    WoL has two USBs, yeah. I think you have his USB2? I always get multiple SBs on a character confused.

I've got a stacked WoL too (AOSB, Chain, OSB, Glint, BSB, LMR1&2), but I still dunno if I can/want to field him too often. I kinda want to make it work though.

• MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    I did a xi pull, just a zeid bsb. It's endark and he has heavy and darkness at least.

3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
    Did XI get a torment? Feels like the rarest realm.

38thDoE on steam

38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Did XI get a torment? Feels like the rarest realm.

XI got one in Japan a couple of months ago I think.

We've also not gotten some XI relic banners still and I don't have the faintest idea if we ever will.

I still want Beyond to get an actual story door. There's some meat on the WOFF bone that could make for some neat fights and events.

If the game goes on long enough I think it’s inevitable.

38thDoE on steam

edited November 2018
    WoL has two USBs, yeah. I think you have his USB2? I always get multiple SBs on a character confused.

I've got a stacked WoL too (AOSB, Chain, OSB, Glint, BSB, LMR1&2), but I still dunno if I can/want to field him too often. I kinda want to make it work though.

Yeah, looks like I got the better one of the two. Other one is damage, enHoly, and "increase damage of Knight based off of Knight abilities used"

So I get moderate damage boost the whole time with enough hones AND there's an overstrike hit after 15s.

e: Also it's a 6* +holy heavy armor, so...that's cool.

e2: Goddamn it. Alll three of these relics are armors. Which is good, because I needed I armors. But I can only train one of them at a time :P

Jragghen on
    Finished up doing all of the 15 mythril realm draws:
    I: Garland Glint, dupe Garland USB
    II: Minwu BSB2, Firion BSB, Firion LMR (W-samurai), Leon LMR (W-darkness)
    III: dupe Desch LMR (growing MAG), Arc BSB (damage/heal/self MND buff), CoD USB (party MAG buff, self dark chase)
    IV: Porom BSB, Edward BSB, Kain Brave USB
    V: Galuf BSB (imperil fire), Faris USB (interrupt + pentabreak)
    VI: dupe Locke LMR (start fire aura)
    VII: dupe Cloud BSB1, dupe Cloud USB2, Sephiroth USB2
    VIII: Raijin LMR (start lightning aura)
    IX: Eiko LMR (W-white)
    X: Braska BSB, dupe Lulu BSB
    XI: dupe Lion BSB, Lion USB, Shantotto Chain
    XII: dupe Penelo BSB1
    XIII: Vanille LMR (chance to weaken), Lightning Glint
    XIV: dupe Yda BSB, Yda USB, dupe Yda USB
    XV: dupe Iris BSB, Ignis BSB, Ignis USB
    Tactics: dupe Marche BSB
    Type-0: Machina LMR (start earth aura), Ace OSB, Ace USB1

Ended up happy with maybe nine of the seventeen, which is not too bad considering the price. How many of the above would you have been happy with?

Oddly enough, some of the realms with the least likelyhood of happiness (XI and XIV) ended up as good draws, while some of the realms with the highest chance for me (V, VI, X) were duds. Funny how that works out.

god fuck this stupid train.

resist all fight with a thousand debuffs and also possesses cloud 90000 times more than everyone else so he can literally never do damage. fucking christ.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Non-elemental strategy is kind of a trap on this fight. I'd suggest going as hard as possible with an element instead. It takes one 2-stack of Imperil to bring the train back down to neutral.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I got bored and did the X pull.

1/11 - Braska USB

I don't see much use for this; my fire parties are pretty crowded and Garnet is always going to need Valigarmanda in lightning teams.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Wyvern wrote: Β»
    I got bored and did the X pull.

1/11 - Braska USB

I don't see much use for this; my fire parties are pretty crowded and Garnet is always going to need Valigarmanda in lightning teams.

Maybe we'll get Lunar Ramuh some day.

edited November 2018
    literally 80% of possesses are on cloud.

i just don't know what to do. i can't do fucking damage. cast usb1, literally didn't get to cast usb2 before usb1 ended.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    A DPS-focused summoner pretty much needs a summon in both slots, so Lunar Ramuh wouldn't really solve the problem. I'd give it to Garnet if she had space and leave Braska on the bench even if she didn't.

Even in a fire team I'd just as soon give Lunar Ifrit to Krile or Terra for meter-building rather than try to shoehorn Braska into the team.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • LeeksLeeks Registered User regular
    Did the FFI pull.

2/11 both discos

Wol USB, which looks fairly lame for most current content.
    Garland Chain, that is great, but I already have Seifers chain 2.0

i just don't know what to do. i can't do fucking damage. cast usb1, literally didn't get to cast usb2 before usb1 ended.

Do you have any of the haste+proshell+<whatever> stuff, so you don't have to rely on RW? It took a while, but I actually wanted to try a crazy water chain (so I RW'd rikku) and brought edge, yuffie, my new USB for Paine, a healer, and Tyro with godwall. Tyro with affliction break seemed to really mitigate most of the stuff. I was annoyed as hell because the chain was effectively useless because I could only cast once and the stupid possessess, but I ground it out just because there was enough DPS.

Basically, I'm saying ignore the element resist (or bring an imperil so it doesn't matter) and just bring your best elemental team and go to town.

• DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    god fuck this stupid train.

resist all fight with a thousand debuffs and also possesses cloud 90000 times more than everyone else so he can literally never do damage. fucking christ.

For reference, I beat it with a NE team:

OK - Magic Breakdown/Dervish, pUSB, MM
    Tyro - Multi Break/Enfeebling Jitterbug, GodWall, DMT
    Vaan - Lifesiphon/Thief's Revenge, USB1, +30% Dagger
    Noctis - Lifesiphon/Omega Drive, BSB, +30% Sword
    Larsa - Ultra Cure/Curada, USB, Gathering Storm
    RW - Cloud USB1
    Magicite - Enkidu

Everyone was geared to resist Slow and/or Confuse, using the multi-resist accessories.

I popped the RW early on both Vaan and Noctis, letting them Lifesiphon for 15k, since the RW changes mid-fight. The boss does almost no damage with breaks, and having both Enkidu and Astra let me ignore pretty much everything.

It's a slow fight, but with three breaks you'll never be in danger. I used the Elarra RW as soon as anybody got possessed, because going slow and steady works better on this fight than trying to squeeze out DPS.

I got lucky, it didn't bother possessing Cloud more than once or twice the whole fight. I applied lots of stat breaks so it wasn't dealing much damage at all - Vaan BSB, and Iris can carry Enfeebling Jitterbug. A good chunk of the train's actions deal no damage or are piercing, so I was fine with just one cast of Divine Veil Grimoire as RW.

The train is highly susceptible to Hit and Run, if you want to go that route. Also, as other folks have said, it's only 20% resistant to elements, so most any old magicite chain team will probably do fine. Just maybe not fire, lightning, or holy damage, due to counters.

Oh really? I should have read the ai. I thought it just countered everything since I used lightning.

38thDoE on steam

Details out for new XIII relics in Japan

Hope AOSB
    Hope USB2: 10 ST Holy, holy radiant shield, increasing holy cast speed, Overstrike chase at the end.
    Nabaat BUSB: 10 ST dark, en-dark, party dark damage 10%, brave level 3 does damage and 40% dark imperil
    Fang XIII realm chain
    Glints for Hope and Nabaat, new LMRs for Nabaat and Fang

• DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    That Nabaat BUSB sounds neat for the party +dark boost, but I'm kinda skeptical of how useful it'll be if the imperil only comes out at the very end, because that's practically halfway through a sub-30 run.

edited November 2018
    Darklyre wrote: Β»
    That Nabaat BUSB sounds neat for the party +dark boost, but I'm kinda skeptical of how useful it'll be if the imperil only comes out at the very end, because that's practically halfway through a sub-30 run.

Party dark boost ten percent is actually kinda garbage due to stacking rules. But getting four imperils for one bar rather than two is interesting, especially since it's a decent damage tool on its own, what with the dark aura and the overstrike action. It is a valid point that a 30 second fight will be almost over by the time that imperil is deployed, though.

Fry on
    Nabaat with Bubsy and Mark of Darkness.

This discussion has been closed.