Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Keyforge: Call of the Archons - The first Unique Card Game in existence!

123457

Posts

  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades 地獄のようにかわいい あなたは嫉妬深いかRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    $10 buy in, your wallets way safer here than with similar games :)

    Don’t you need tokens and shit that comes with the starter?

    ジェイムズ・ブラウンの好きな色は何ですか?
    青!
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    $10 buy in, your wallets way safer here than with similar games :)

    Don’t you need tokens and shit that comes with the starter?

    Well, you need some kind of tokens, but we're assuming you have plenty of those by now. I could, for instance, get away with just using tokens out of my piles of X-Wing stuff.

    Probably shouldn't use dice, imo - amber gets added/removed fairly easily so piles of tokens are easier when you have constant +1/-1 happening.

    Half the people I've played with either borrowed from my core set tokens (it has enough for both players) or just used other stuff.

    Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    I picked up a core set at a Barnes and Noble tonight after trying the game at Unplugged. Very excited to sink my teeth into this.

    crimsoncoyoteElvenshae
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Yeah, we got by with some cardboard coins of 1,2, and 5. 1s were Amber or damage. 2s status effect, and the 5s were keys.

    jswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1og83npmjgeii.pngT298pV7.pngSteam:ArcSyn
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Hell I use pennies for aember, quarters for keys, white dice for +power, black dice for -power, and nickels for stuns during the release tourney I went to. Have plenty of dice from 40k and other misc board games.

    akirasig.jpg
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Still got some cardboard MtG tokens that came with the comic years ago, so mana for amber, poison for stuns, +1's en -1's for power and have some loose chips for keys.

    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • RingoRingo Stardust, Golden Caught in a Devil's BargainRegistered User regular
    I went to an event with an unopened deck buy-in and my new deck turned out to be a horsemen deck with a bunch of rares in it

    With which I went 0 for 2

    https://burgertokens.com/pages/keyforge-deck-analyzer?deck=KoOwjgrgpgzgLgSwPYgIYCMA2BPABAYSUwBNcA1VEKTTJABygB8ARBGRgWVQCd2BlSgGM4EALaMArAGZJEyQDZG8xQHYAjIxUAmTYoAcGg4z1yAnIrUAGS4zXybdjXb22VMtaZcfTjLdd-+fjp+Mn5yfopaWiq+0b5SMVpSPloALOGpkamJqS5pKRI2WhIaWvISQA

    It's a creature heavy deck with some of its heaviest hitting cards causing indiscriminate creature removal (and purges!). I'm gonna keep trying to figure out how to utilize it, but right now it feels like those horsemen cards are more dead weight than anything useful.

    ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG now featured at the Exigency Forum
    ElvenshaecrimsoncoyoteDizzy DMatev
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    I went to an event with an unopened deck buy-in and my new deck turned out to be a horsemen deck with a bunch of rares in it

    With which I went 0 for 2

    https://burgertokens.com/pages/keyforge-deck-analyzer?deck=KoOwjgrgpgzgLgSwPYgIYCMA2BPABAYSUwBNcA1VEKTTJABygB8ARBGRgWVQCd2BlSgGM4EALaMArAGZJEyQDZG8xQHYAjIxUAmTYoAcGg4z1yAnIrUAGS4zXybdjXb22VMtaZcfTjLdd-+fjp+Mn5yfopaWiq+0b5SMVpSPloALOGpkamJqS5pKRI2WhIaWvISQA

    It's a creature heavy deck with some of its heaviest hitting cards causing indiscriminate creature removal (and purges!). I'm gonna keep trying to figure out how to utilize it, but right now it feels like those horsemen cards are more dead weight than anything useful.

    Fine name, and I think I could make that deck dance. The best way to think of the Horsemen is as various tools in a box, knowing when to play each one to maximize their potential is the way to go, and with the nature of the game as it is, you should get some utility out of them before they're gone, and if you cycle quick enough, they'll be back.

    Vanellope looks like a very tough control deck that wants to purge the opponent's power cards, and then you counterpunch with your bombs. Playing Annihilation Ritual into 3 Fates or Fair Game to can alter the complexion of an opponent's deck, with Vezyma Thinkdrone and Whispering Reliquary to bounce it away before it hurts your own board. Additionally, Creeping Oblivion can be used to sap their useful actions and artifacts, or pesky creatures that escaped the Ritual.

    Otherwise, Dis wants to Keyhammer the opponent and then jack the Amber with it's creatures to stop them from reforging. Mars brings the utility to clean up the board or snarl it with the mass stuns, then use the creatures from the other houses while you draw in Amber or clear out the enemy creatures. Sanctum gives you capture and stun on demand when Dis or Mars isn't feasible, the Horsemen toolbox (With Death recurrence. Kill a bunch of stuff in fighting with War, then bring the Horsemen back with Death afterwards, great for parties!) The merchants just want you to lean on Sanctum and play/bounce artifacts to keep making more Amber, and Protect the Weak keeps key creatures in play.

    Honestly, Slightly jealous of that setup, be interested to see how it played against my Posilla.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    Ringo
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I and some friends picked up like 10 packs from Pax Unplugged over the weekend. I haven't tried it yet, but heard you can play online with these? Is that true?

    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    There's an unofficial in-browser implementation that you can upload your decks to.

    https://www.thecrucible.online/

    It's in active development so has a few kinks in places, but is otherwise staggeringly good for how quickly it has been put together by fans for free.

    TingleSigBar.gif
    crimsoncoyote
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    I just played a game on that site and it was pretty good. One complaint is it doesn't show power counters if they're granted by passive card text. My opponent had Mushroom Man in play (which I'd never seen before, yikes) and I had to double-check it's power from time to time.

    Also, unless Elusive means something other than what I think it does, it didn't handle my 4 power 1 armor guy attacking a 2 power 0 armor elusive guy correctly. Nobody took any damage, when I was expecting to take one.

  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    I just played a game on that site and it was pretty good. One complaint is it doesn't show power counters if they're granted by passive card text. My opponent had Mushroom Man in play (which I'd never seen before, yikes) and I had to double-check it's power from time to time.

    Also, unless Elusive means something other than what I think it does, it didn't handle my 4 power 1 armor guy attacking a 2 power 0 armor elusive guy correctly. Nobody took any damage, when I was expecting to take one.

    That is actually how elusive works. The card text say no damage is dealt, note that it doesn't limit it to the creature with elusive. The rulebook spells it out in more detail.

    And technically it is correct not to use power counters for passive boosts like Mushroom Man.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    crimsoncoyote
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I don't think it's come up for me yet, but I definitely did not read "Elusive" closely enough

    RiusRingoDarkewolfe
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited December 3
    Well I've definitely been playing Elusive wrong

    Edit: and I've played bunches of times, relatively, and I haven't seen anyone play it right yet. Dang ol' quick start rules in the starter box combined with my basic assumptions.

    Rius on
    RingoDirtmuncherMatevDarkewolfe
  • RingoRingo Stardust, Golden Caught in a Devil's BargainRegistered User regular
    That changes my Shadows play significantly

    ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG now featured at the Exigency Forum
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Yeah we definitely played elusive wrong the first session as well. Second time around I read the keyword rules a little more closely and we played that and armor right.

    It might seem that we lost the battle
    But if no one wins the war
    Then why keep score
  • RingoRingo Stardust, Golden Caught in a Devil's BargainRegistered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Yeah we definitely played elusive wrong the first session as well. Second time around I read the keyword rules a little more closely and we played that and armor right.

    What did you get wrong with armor?

    ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG now featured at the Exigency Forum
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    I'm assuming they thought Armor applies to every damage interaction, instead of running out per turn

    Ah_PookMatevFrem
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »
    I just played a game on that site and it was pretty good. One complaint is it doesn't show power counters if they're granted by passive card text. My opponent had Mushroom Man in play (which I'd never seen before, yikes) and I had to double-check it's power from time to time.

    Also, unless Elusive means something other than what I think it does, it didn't handle my 4 power 1 armor guy attacking a 2 power 0 armor elusive guy correctly. Nobody took any damage, when I was expecting to take one.

    That is actually how elusive works. The card text say no damage is dealt, note that it doesn't limit it to the creature with elusive. The rulebook spells it out in more detail.

    And technically it is correct not to use power counters for passive boosts like Mushroom Man.

    I'm pretty sure it showed the armor granted by my Grey Monk though...why would that be different?

    akirasig.jpg
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    It shows all armour as little tokens, even inbuilt natural armour.

    Easier to track what has and hasn’t had its armour used in a turn.

    TingleSigBar.gif
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    I'm assuming they thought Armor applies to every damage interaction, instead of running out per turn

    Yeah this. We were applying the damage reduction to each incoming damage.

    It might seem that we lost the battle
    But if no one wins the war
    Then why keep score
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    wait what

    holy cow...

    Ah_Pook
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Yah no, think of armor as "Temp HP/Toughness" It only applies for the hits it can soak up, and then it's done for the turn.

    Elusive I've been doing wrong this whole time and it makes it far less of a utility than the initial read makes it look.

    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    crimsoncoyoteRingo
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Yah no, think of armor as "Temp HP/Toughness" It only applies for the hits it can soak up, and then it's done for the turn.

    Elusive I've been doing wrong this whole time and it makes it far less of a utility than the initial read makes it look.

    Skirmish is the thing you want, but it doesn't protect from being attacked only while attacking.

    It might seem that we lost the battle
    But if no one wins the war
    Then why keep score
    crimsoncoyoteMatev
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Yah no, think of armor as "Temp HP/Toughness" It only applies for the hits it can soak up, and then it's done for the turn.

    Elusive I've been doing wrong this whole time and it makes it far less of a utility than the initial read makes it look.

    I think the armor thing is easy to miss with just the Quick Start rules. It does say "each turn", but it's easy to miss or forget that like I did.

    Elusive doesn't specify "this creature", but it could be assumed either way if you aren't paying close enough attention. Elusive is still pretty good I think because it still makes your opponent waste a creature Use on a fight if they don't have another way to remove/damage your elusive creature.

    Ah_PookPolaritie
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    Elusive is still good, just not super duper good like I thought it was

    crimsoncoyoteAh_PookMatev
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    My buddy just registered this deck, it's super scary

    https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/08374d03-4220-471a-895d-179ee88069c2

    Little light on creatures, but no individually bad cards that I can see. Miasma + Bait and Switch, lots of Omni effects for unpredictability, 18 bonus Amber generation on cards (this is like 95th percentile good), huge stuns, very swingy. I'm not sure any of my decks can stand up to this one.

    crimsoncoyote
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Whoa the sting is a crazy card, hadn't seen that one before

    It might seem that we lost the battle
    But if no one wins the war
    Then why keep score
    crimsoncoyote
  • RingoRingo Stardust, Golden Caught in a Devil's BargainRegistered User regular
    I've got a deck with two Stings, and it is very interesting to use a Shadows deck and still allow your opponent to forge keys

    ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG now featured at the Exigency Forum
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    My buddy just registered this deck, it's super scary

    https://www.keyforgegame.com/deck-details/08374d03-4220-471a-895d-179ee88069c2

    Little light on creatures, but no individually bad cards that I can see. Miasma + Bait and Switch, lots of Omni effects for unpredictability, 18 bonus Amber generation on cards (this is like 95th percentile good), huge stuns, very swingy. I'm not sure any of my decks can stand up to this one.

    Jeezus. 2 x Nepthene Seed as well. All the Baits and Switches.

    And two Blinding Lights and a Radiant Truth for constant mass stunning.

    That is a deck alright.

    TingleSigBar.gif
    crimsoncoyotePolaritie
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 4
    There's an unofficial in-browser implementation that you can upload your decks to.

    https://www.thecrucible.online/

    It's in active development so has a few kinks in places, but is otherwise staggeringly good for how quickly it has been put together by fans for free.

    Well this is helpful for practice.

    Only ran into one (understandable) issue - it doesn't handle mavericks well, and they show up with broken images. The effects work correctly, but I feel bad for anyone not knowing what my Sanctum Earthshaker does. And only slightly bad for the guy whose whole first turn (after I dropped Yxili Marauder on the play) I undid with it because I blew up a bunch of untamed crap.

    Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Ionshank, Spawn of Tooththing

    Played this during a pre-release my LGS was doing a couple of weeks back. I seem to have a problem with trying to clear the board and never reaping anything. I need to read up more on mechanics and practice...

    Also anyone else notice that these factions are kinda like Hearthstone heroes? Brobnar=Warrior Dis=Sorta Warlocky and Shadows=Rogue. Not that theres a problem, but now I kinda wanna get all the factions!

  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    That looks like a pretty good deck!
    Lots of control in it, and Mugwump looks disgusting (it needs direct removal). Give it Blood of the Titans and just remove their creatures forever or just reap away with it while they can't do anything about it.
    Key Hammer+Charette or Drumble is a good combo too.
    It looks like its only shortcoming is bonus amber generation, but has a decent amount of amber steal/capture/loss to stall until you get your big amber swings (Loot the Bodies, Warsong, Tolas), and then reap in-between.

  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Only played two games against the same opponent. He had a pretty good deck with archives and a skirmish/poison creature that kept on destroying my heavy hitters.

  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    That skirmish/poison creature is brutal if you can keep it alive somehow (taunt, bunch of grey monks, whatever)

    It might seem that we lost the battle
    But if no one wins the war
    Then why keep score
    crimsoncoyotePolaritie
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited December 5
    Today's comic is very good:
    sd8uto1t5sva.png

    crimsoncoyote on
    RiusAuralynxPolaritieNipsArcSynMatevRiokennBedlamDirtmuncher
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    That skirmish/poison creature is brutal if you can keep it alive somehow (taunt, bunch of grey monks, whatever)

    One Stood Against Many. Ready and fight against three separate creatures. I have this combo in a deck and it's silly.

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    crimsoncoyoteAh_Pook
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Just realised my triple ember imp deck has 26 creatures. Makes it pretty reliable as a body on the board is always useful.

    TingleSigBar.gif
    crimsoncoyoteDirtmuncher
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    My LGS is having a Keyforge sealed event this Saturday. Any tips and/or tricks on playing well?

  • RiusRius Registered User regular
Sign In or Register to comment.