Options

[PC Build Thread] It's a weird time in Hardwaretown

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I'm looking for an efficient way to hook a TV up to my PC. The problem is I have 3 monitors already on it. I have the ports to connect all 4 of them but I ideally want to just switch to TV if I want to watch something or play a game, then switch back to the 3 monitors. I'd rather not have to fiddle around with the display settings every time I wanted to go from one to the other. Is there an easy way to do this?

Apostate, I actually was fiddling with this exact setup last weekend and unfortunately, I was not able to come up with great solution. I have 3 1080p 60Hz monitors on my desk but I wanted to see what kind of performance I could get if I used my 4K TV with the 120 Hz refresh which is around the corner from the computer. I had the 3 monitors connected via DisplayPort and the TV connected via HDMI. The best I could do was opening the NVIDIA control panel or whatever it's called, de-selecting the 3 desktop monitors and selecting the TV. I tried not disabling the 3 monitors but 4K performance definitely suffered.

Ideally, I would want to be able to quickly toggle between 2 monitor profiles:
    1. 3 Desktop monitors enabled / TV disabled
    2. TV enabled / 3 Desktop monitors disabled

Look at getting a cheap HDMI switch and just route your primary monitor through it would probably be the easiest choice.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    If you like the M60 why not just buy the updated version the M65? There also the Corsair Ironclaw. You don't have to use to RBG crap by going into the mouse config program and turning them all off?

If you want something not Corsair there are lots of good affordable mice like a Logitech G403, SteelSeries Rival 110 or 310, or Roccat KONE Pure SE to name a few.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    So I was researching mice (thanks thread!) and looking at stuff in stock in Vancouver and randomly the Computer Shop around the corner from my house had 1 left of last year's model G502 (the Proteus Spectrum) on clearance for $69.99CAD (around 52usd). This year's g502 (the Hero) costs 99.99 so I did some digging and the consensus is if you can still find the last model anywhere and it's cheap, buy that one.

so..... I did. Cost under what the M65 or Deathadder Elite, or a few other things people are liking would have cost and apparently if something somehow does go wrong Logitech just RMAs it with a new Hero model since even their warehouses no longer have the Proteus Spectrum in stock. (ALSO WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THESE NAMES LOGITECH).

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    The 502 is a great mouse, you done good.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Aridhol wrote: »
    no and it only ever was when pre-builts were sold at a loss by the manufacturer :)

Here or /r/buildapc could get you setup easy :) Just need budget and use case.

My computer will be used for gaming and game development. It'll be hooked up to a 144Hz 24" monitor running at 1920x1080. Possibly a second monitor further down the line, but only one will be used for gaming.
    My wife's will be used for ART and some gaming. ART includes both 2D and 3D work. It will be hooked up to a 24" Cintiq Pro and (most likely) a 24" monitor running at 1920x1080.

I'm unsure about budget. We only just recently moved to the states and I've no metric to judge local prices. I can say that we both carry computers for a while. My last one was with me for eight years, and hers about the same. The only things changed during that period was replacing a busted graphics card, adding 8 gigs of ram, and buying a couple of SSDs.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I'll vouch for the 502. 3 years and still kicking.

I broke the left mouse button on my Razer Mamba and collapsed in the mouse wheel on my Steelseries D3 mouse, so my grip on mice is rough. The 502 has taken everything I've thrown at it with a smile.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I'm looking for an efficient way to hook a TV up to my PC. The problem is I have 3 monitors already on it. I have the ports to connect all 4 of them but I ideally want to just switch to TV if I want to watch something or play a game, then switch back to the 3 monitors. I'd rather not have to fiddle around with the display settings every time I wanted to go from one to the other. Is there an easy way to do this?

Apostate, I actually was fiddling with this exact setup last weekend and unfortunately, I was not able to come up with great solution. I have 3 1080p 60Hz monitors on my desk but I wanted to see what kind of performance I could get if I used my 4K TV with the 120 Hz refresh which is around the corner from the computer. I had the 3 monitors connected via DisplayPort and the TV connected via HDMI. The best I could do was opening the NVIDIA control panel or whatever it's called, de-selecting the 3 desktop monitors and selecting the TV. I tried not disabling the 3 monitors but 4K performance definitely suffered.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do as well. I haven't been able to figure out a solution for it.

• Options
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    no and it only ever was when pre-builts were sold at a loss by the manufacturer :)

Here or /r/buildapc could get you setup easy :) Just need budget and use case.

My computer will be used for gaming and game development. It'll be hooked up to a 144Hz 24" monitor running at 1920x1080. Possibly a second monitor further down the line, but only one will be used for gaming.
    My wife's will be used for ART and some gaming. ART includes both 2D and 3D work. It will be hooked up to a 24" Cintiq Pro and (most likely) a 24" monitor running at 1920x1080.

I'm unsure about budget. We only just recently moved to the states and I've no metric to judge local prices. I can say that we both carry computers for a while. My last one was with me for eight years, and hers about the same. The only things changed during that period was replacing a busted graphics card, adding 8 gigs of ram, and buying a couple of SSDs.

I'll toss something together tonight for intel and amd and I'm sure others will chime in and we can at least get you a comparison to any pre-built :)

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

That's exactly what I'm trying to do as well. I haven't been able to figure out a solution for it.

Windows sucks for this.

Good luck.

• Options

Windows sucks for this.

Good luck.

Are there not applications specific settings for this in the Nvidia control panel and amd? I coulda sworn this was possible on a game by game basis

• Options
    edited March 2019
    @AkimboEG

AMD System

I set a ~$1500 buget as to me that would be a pretty good machine that will pull through several years of gaming and be reliable.
    I went with the 8 core Ryzen as you mentioned game development and anything multithreaded is gonna benefit (I assume compiling and rendering stuff is multithreaded these days?)
    I chose the 2070 as it's damn good at 1080p and you should max out 144hz in most games. A 2080 or higher is a big price jump and right now you don't have displays to really take advantage.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($135.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ B&H)
    Storage: Seagate - IronWolf 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.69 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card ($489.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: NZXT - H500i (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1462.40
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-22 21:46 EDT-0400

Intel System

The main advantage is also the main drawback. This CPU will perform better for gaming and single threaded use (including most if not all Adobe suite products) but it has 2 less cores and no hyperthreading).

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($259.99 @ Walmart)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: MSI - Z370M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($135.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($114.99 @ B&H)
    Storage: Seagate - IronWolf 4 TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.69 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card ($489.99 @ Amazon)
    Case: NZXT - H500i (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1487.40
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-22 21:55 EDT-0400

Final notes:
    • Intel processors generally have no issue overclocking to some pretty great speeds (my i5 is at 5ghz on all cores no problem) and it's trivial to do with a decent cooler.
    • AMD's AM4 socket is going to be getting processors through 2020 so there is potentially a great upgrade path a couple years down the road with significant performance gains (if your motherboard supports it).
    • RAM & Case I kept the same throughout as I feel they are the best performance/looks value out there right now but it's kind of an aesthetic choice.
    • Storage I just chose the best size per GB with a reputable manufacturer and good speeds. Some people are concerned over the life of the 660p from intel but that would be from extreme use and IMO the samsung is not worth the price increase.

edit: forgot to add that budget can go up and down and all that should change is CPU choice and GPU.
    If on a more extreme budget like $500-700 we can get creative :)

Aridhol on
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Windows sucks for this.

Good luck.

Are there not applications specific settings for this in the Nvidia control panel and amd? I coulda sworn this was possible on a game by game basis

I think you can assign monitors, but I don't know if you can just switch things off. Windows likes to automatically fill stuff in. The opposite end of that is turning off monitor recognition.

It's not very helpful to people who want dynamic monitor setups.

I know AMD had hotkey setups in Catalyst that would allow this, but I hope you didn't have your icons set up a certain way because Windows will put them all on the active monitor

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'd recommend 24 or 32GB for the Art Station, just to keep things smooth, but it's not a deal breaker if you stick with 16GB. You can look for spot deals and add more RAM later.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    This monitor was unimpressive so I returned it to Best Buy. Even at 144Hz, there was still too much blur, likely due to the lack of DisplayPort.

I'll be picking up this beast instead for fifty bucks more. (The sale is no longer visible to me after purchasing it)

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

Windows sucks for this.

Good luck.

I think you can assign monitors, but I don't know if you can just switch things off. Windows likes to automatically fill stuff in. The opposite end of that is turning off monitor recognition.

I know AMD had hotkey setups in Catalyst that would allow this, but I hope you didn't have your icons set up a certain way because Windows will put them all on the active monitor

The simplest solution I've come up with is to use a Steam Link or Raspberry Pi converted into a Steam Link. But unfortunately that doesn't really let me take advantage of the higher refresh rate or higher resolution of the fancy TV. As well as the small amount of latency it adds.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Orca wrote: »
    NOT Logitech. Their mice are no longer reliable. They use cheap switches that break in a year.

Their joysticks have been like that for something like ten years now.
    Orca wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I'm still keeping my eyes on Nvidia's offerings but that new Navi GPU coming out might give Nvidia a reason to lower the price on RTX cards. Who knows, maybe new Vega will actually give Nvidia a run for its money.
    it won't. but maybe the intel discrete cards in 2020 will, we'll see.

I'm not holding my breath that Intel is going to go from "not even an also-ran" to "competitive" in one generation.

Xe is likely to be more influential in the laptop space then PC, early on; Intel's known tactics there are likely to lose nVidia basically everything outside of the gaming SKUs if it's in any way good.

Jeep-Eep on
    I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    My current computer's old and dying so i'm doing the unreasonable thing and building a wholly new one...

The only thing is, i'm not super knowledgeable about Hardware... So I headed on to PCPartPicker and checked one of the featured build (It seems good to me) and changed the PSU according to advice from another poster...

I'd like an opinion or two more, though.

the list (Is that link working?)

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-core processor
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill - Value 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
    Storage: TCSunBow - X3 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive and Western Digital - Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB OC Video Card
    Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Two questions, though.

A) Is there anything to know about displayport-to-DVI cables? Do they work fine? My monitors don't seem to have Displayport, uh, ports.
    B) Anything else i'd need? I have all the peripherals, i know i'll need a couple new display cables... anything else not-so-obvious for a novice computer assembler?

Note that this is basically reaching the upper limits of my budget already.

Thanks.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular

Windows sucks for this.

Good luck.

The simplest solution I've come up with is to use a Steam Link or Raspberry Pi converted into a Steam Link. But unfortunately that doesn't really let me take advantage of the higher refresh rate or higher resolution of the fancy TV. As well as the small amount of latency it adds.

I think I found a solution. It's this program: https://www.displayfusion.com/

It allows you to make profiles of different monitor configurations. So for instance you can have one that sets the TV as the primary and disables the rest of the monitors. You can try for free but you have to buy the software if you want to save profiles. It's only $30 and it can do a lot other stuff as well.
    ucxlohymdio7.png

• Options
    My current computer's old and dying so i'm doing the unreasonable thing and building a wholly new one...

The only thing is, i'm not super knowledgeable about Hardware... So I headed on to PCPartPicker and checked one of the featured build (It seems good to me) and changed the PSU according to advice from another poster...

Storage: TCSunBow - X3 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive and Western Digital - Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Two questions, though.

A) Is there anything to know about displayport-to-DVI cables? Do they work fine? My monitors don't seem to have Displayport, uh, ports.
    B) Anything else i'd need? I have all the peripherals, i know i'll need a couple new display cables... anything else not-so-obvious for a novice computer assembler?

Thanks.

First thing is - don't bother with Intel unless you have finickety productivity software that wants it, overpriced for the performance, and the forward compatiblity that a high end AM4 board brings to the table is pretty good, and if you aren't OCing, the out of the box cooler for a 2600/2700 is quite good. I'd consider waiting until after the launch of the Ryzen 3000 series to build, as it's gonna be a really good arch. Just upgrade to DDR5-3200 to get the most out of a Ryzen, and make sure it's in dual channel. Also, Western Digital has gone down the toilet in their main brand, get a Hitachi Deskstar, they may be noisy, but they bring enterprise level reliability to the desk space. If one goes on sale, there's an arguement for a Vega 56 over the 2060, namely, better VRAM before a console rollover; rumor has it Navi may be launching beside the Ryzen 2 arch as well.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with Intel's offerings in the CPU department. The way some of you guys talk about it is just bizarre.

• Options
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with Intel's offerings in the CPU department. The way some of you guys talk about it is just bizarre.

Perf wise, certainly, but the other costs - the mainboard and cooler, are big issues.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    As much as I am hyped for Ryzen 3000, at the moment Intel does enjoy a healthy advantage in per core performance. I'd hardly knock either when building a rig though.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I have no stake in the CPU fight, I'm just fed up with Overclocking and the patience and trial n' error it requires after it fried my GPU (when it was the CPU that was being overclocked), so I'm going with AMD this time.

Looking at modern computer cases, I noticed many don't have bays for DVD/Blu Ray Drives. I have an unused license and DVD of Win 10 sitting here waiting for my next machine. How do I get Windows 10 installed on such a device?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Jeep-Eep wrote: »

Two questions, though.

Thanks.

First thing is - don't bother with Intel unless you have finickety productivity software that wants it, overpriced for the performance, and the forward compatiblity that a high end AM4 board brings to the table is pretty good, and if you aren't OCing, the out of the box cooler for a 2600/2700 is quite good. I'd consider waiting until after the launch of the Ryzen 3000 series to build, as it's gonna be a really good arch. Just upgrade to DDR5-3200 to get the most out of a Ryzen, and make sure it's in dual channel. Also, Western Digital has gone down the toilet in their main brand, get a Hitachi Deskstar, they may be noisy, but they bring enterprise level reliability to the desk space. If one goes on sale, there's an arguement for a Vega 56 over the 2060, namely, better VRAM before a console rollover; rumor has it Navi may be launching beside the Ryzen 2 arch as well.

I don't really get most of what you said here.

Can you dumb it down a bit for me? What's a Ryzen and would the DDR5-3200 memory cost more? if so i can't really afford it.

Also my current computer is dying as we speak so i can't really wait much longer.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I have no stake in the CPU fight, I'm just fed up with Overclocking and the patience and trial n' error it requires after it fried my GPU (when it was the CPU that was being overclocked), so I'm going with AMD this time.

Looking at modern computer cases, I noticed many don't have bays for DVD/Blu Ray Drives. I have an unused license and DVD of Win 10 sitting here waiting for my next machine. How do I get Windows 10 installed on such a device?

Use the following Microsoft link to create installation media (USB). Then just use the license you have when the install asks for it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media

• Options
    edited March 2019

Two questions, though.

Thanks.

Can you dumb it down a bit for me? What's a Ryzen and would the DDR5-3200 memory cost more? if so i can't really afford it.

Also my current computer is dying as we speak so i can't really wait much longer.

Ryzen is AMDs line of chips. They're good but for right this moment they're only better in certain workloads due to low per-core clock speeds. If you're going to do a lot of multitasking, it's something to look at. For gaming, right at this second, Intel is better.

I understand you also don't have the luxury of waiting, as such I think what you've got will suffice quite nicely.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

Two questions, though.

Thanks.

Ryzen is AMDs line of chips. They're good but for right this moment they're only better in certain workloads due to low per-core clock speeds. If you're going to do a lot of multitasking, it's something to look at. For gaming, right at this second, Intel is better.

I understand you also don't have the luxury of waiting, as such I think what you've got will suffice quite nicely.

cool... what about the displayport to DVI cables? Do those work well? My monitors don't have displayport ports that i can see and HDMI is used by my consoles (I don't have a TV)

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Windows sucks for this.

Good luck.

I think I found a solution. It's this program: https://www.displayfusion.com/

It allows you to make profiles of different monitor configurations. So for instance you can have one that sets the TV as the primary and disables the rest of the monitors. You can try for free but you have to buy the software if you want to save profiles. It's only $30 and it can do a lot other stuff as well.
    ucxlohymdio7.png

If you're willing to wait, it's on Steam (35 there, though) and regularly good on sale during the sales.

As low as 6 bucks, but I don't think it reaches that point anymore.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

Two questions, though.

Thanks.

cool... what about the displayport to DVI cables? Do those work well? My monitors don't have displayport ports that i can see and HDMI is used by my consoles (I don't have a TV)

DisplayPort to DVI should work just fine, they're both digital signals.

• Options

Two questions, though.

Thanks.

Displayport and DVI work fine. Startech makes some decent ones that don't need an adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-DVI-Video-Converter-Cable/dp/B0028YWOYQ/ref=asc_df_B0028YWOYQ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198076677096&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3835739903083686629&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9024742&hvtargid=pla-319429316611&psc=1

• Options
    edited March 2019

@21stCentury

Two questions, though.

Thanks.

1. DisplayPort or HDMI to DVI works great since they are basically identical :)
    2. Nothing else that I can see.

Are you gaming at 1080p?
    I made a couple edits and saved some money but I think kept or increased performance.
    That PSU you had is great though it's vastly overpowered for the machine you are building.
    If you could squeeze even $75 more bucks out of this you could step into a 2070 which would be so so worth it but I wanted to be concious of the budget you laid out.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($357.28 @ Canada Computers)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($46.95 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace)
    Motherboard: MSI - B360M MORTAR TITANIUM Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($128.30 @ Vuugo)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($139.98 @ Memory Express)
    Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($83.98 @ Canada Computers)
    Storage: *Western Digital - Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.18 @ Memory Express)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card ($530.86 @ Newegg Canada)
    Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.18 @ Canada Computers)
    Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.58 @ Canada Computers)
    Total: $1511.29
    *Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-24 13:08 EDT-0400

Here's an AMD build that let's you step up into a 2070 which IMO would be worth it.
    The tradeoff is the single core gaming performance is less so some titles in 1080p may stress it.
    If you ask me the tradeoff between the 2070 and the lower per core performance is a no brainer. The GPU will be much more important in 1440p gaming as well.
    Additionally the 2600 can be overclocked though not to the extent the i5 can.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($278.88 @ Canada Computers)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($111.86 @ Canada Computers)
    Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($141.10 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($83.98 @ Canada Computers)
    Storage: *Western Digital - Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.18 @ Memory Express)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB DUAL OC Video Card ($699.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.18 @ Canada Computers)
    Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.58 @ Canada Computers)
    Total: $1539.74
    *Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-24 13:17 EDT-0400

Let me know if you have any questions.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    Ok just one more :)
    Here's the intel system with a slightly worse motherboard (though not terrible), budget but capable cooler, and cheaper memory.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($357.28 @ Canada Computers)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($35.82 @ Newegg Canada)
    Motherboard: ASRock - B360M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($95.47 @ Vuugo)
    Memory: Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($111.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Storage: Kingston - A400 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($44.78 @ Amazon Canada)
    Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.18 @ Memory Express)
    Video Card: Asus - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB DUAL OC Video Card ($699.98 @ Newegg Canada)
    Total: $1569.25
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-24 13:22 EDT-0400

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    @21stCentury

It’s been a while since my last build, but I would also check to make sure the case comes with fans (my tiny Lian-li case didn’t).

Hard drives an ssd’s usually come with sata cables, but might as well buy a few just in case?

Speaking of ssd’s, I’ve never heard of TCSunBow, and that seems like it’s on the cheaper end. I would probably step up to the adata’s posted or another reputable brand.

Buy a small pack of zipties (smallest you can get). Helps with cable management (i.e. getting cables out of the way and looking nice).

Make sure you have a smallish screw driver as some of the screws can be small.

Don’t know if the cooler master comes with thermal paste. Either google around to see if it does or just buy some.

Make sure you have some kind of OS (windows probably). You can usually transfer a retail license from a dead computer to a new one, but technically I think you are supposed to get a new one. Ideally this should be preloaded into a bootable usb stick so your ready to go once the build is done.

If your case comes with a usb 3.0 front port, make sure your motherboard has an onboard USB port. Some motherboards only have usb connections at the back, which means you can’t use the case’s front port.

Don’t build your computer while standing on carpet wearing socks. But don’t bother buying an anti-static wrist-band either.

That’s most of what I can think of right now, but you should probably just watch one of the many many pc build videos and see if they mention anything else.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    My p300 came with 2 front fans and no exhaust so I'd get one exhaust too. Obviously rgb, the more the better.

• Options
    My p300 came with 2 front fans and no exhaust so I'd get one exhaust too. Obviously rgb, the more the better.

Also some fire resistance.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Thanks @Aridhol! I'll look into your alternatives tonight.

And Thanks @Jebus314, I totally forgot zipties and fans.

That said what do you mean by "Obviously rgb", Arid?

EDIT: About the overly powerful PSU, it's straight up because my current one is dying and i was overcompensating, i guess.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    I was just joking because rgb stuff is all "cool" now. You can get any fan you want :)

That power supply is great but at over 150 bucks I don't know if that's worth it. It's double the price...

• Options
    I was just joking because rgb stuff is all "cool" now. You can get any fan you want :)

That power supply is great but at over 150 bucks I don't know if that's worth it. It's double the price...

Fair enough! I think i'll go with the first build you suggested. One question, though.

i get this "potential issue"
    Some Intel B360 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

i'm not sure i understand how to ensure it's not gonna affect me, though? Thanks.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

let me make a CRAZY suggestion here and posit this? what if you just didn't overclock?

cause CPUs are SUPER FAST now and like, you don't gotta do it.

(i realized this after never overclocking my i7 2600k in 8 years and then just buying a regular i5-8600 when my old mobo died)

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options

Fair enough! I think i'll go with the first build you suggested. One question, though.

i get this "potential issue"
    Some Intel B360 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Coffee Lake Refresh CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

i'm not sure i understand how to ensure it's not gonna affect me, though? Thanks.

That is a warning that the b360 chipset has to be updated to work with the new 9th generation intel processors. This is done by updating the bios but these motherboards being sold now are 99.99% guaranteed to have been updated.

The warning is there in case you get an old board that has been sitting in the back of joe's computer shop for the last year and half.

Any reputable place would definitely have either a new board from the manufacturer with an updated bios or will have done it themselves.

Tldr: don't worry about it.

This discussion has been closed.