As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] It's a weird time in Hardwaretown

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    You're all crazy.

I have 1 SSD in my machine, that's it.
    If you got more storage needs than that get a NAS :P

whynotboth.jpg

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    1 SSD (boot drive, fast shit)
    4x4 TB HDDs in a 2x2 RAID 1 config
    1 Blu-ray drive

• Options
    My Define R5 doesn’t QUITE have all its drive bays filled, but I’m distressingly close.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I've just got two SSDs

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I've just got two SSDs

GET ON MAH LEVEL

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    You guys know you can create new folders right? No need to buy a new drive for everything.

• Options
    You guys know you can create new folders right? No need to buy a new drive for everything.

You mean folders that comprise multiple drives! Yes!

bn5u0wulr50e.png

I don't have a problem, YOU have a problem.

>_>

• Options

I mean, I could do that

but how else will I be able to hold onto literally every file that has ever passed through my hands since 2003

• Options
    someday I might need that copy of pkzip again

you never know

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    you guys be whack
    pn9mhol1lutw.png
    C = 240gb boot nvme ssd
    D = 1TB Games nvme ssd
    E = 3TB Games Overflow/dropbox/whatever spinning disc
    F = blu ray drive
    Z = mount to the media portion of my NAS to easily rearange stuff on my plex server, that's got 6TB in it right now (2x6) with plans to eventually get up to 18 (4x6) as I need to expand the storage pool in it (ie once I start lossless ripping all my blu ray discs)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Honestly, I just seem to have good luck with drives not dying and keep using them instead of not using them?

My pool is 3 drives - a 3TB from an older build, a 4TB which is what I had in this computer when I built it a few years ago now, and I got a 10TB that I shucked this past Christmas. It lets me just have every game I own installed so I can play them if I get the urge. The SSDs are a similar case - two old SSDs (so the oldest one is actually pretty slow as SSDs go), and a newer PCIe one. I've got the ports, why not use 'em, right?

I've also got a media server, but we won't talk about that. Every movie I've ever owned is ripped and encoded and available, etc. I built it originally years ago, and some of the old drives are still in there and working (6+ years now), and I've just slowly expanded it as I got the urge, since I keep everything mirrored (don't want to lose pictures, etc).

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Honestly, I just seem to have good luck with drives not dying and keep using them instead of not using them?

My pool is 3 drives - a 3TB from an older build, a 4TB which is what I had in this computer when I built it a few years ago now, and I got a 10TB that I shucked this past Christmas. It lets me just have every game I own installed so I can play them if I get the urge. The SSDs are a similar case - two old SSDs (so the oldest one is actually pretty slow as SSDs go), and a newer PCIe one. I've got the ports, why not use 'em, right?

I've also got a media server, but we won't talk about that. Every movie I've ever owned is ripped and encoded and available, etc. I built it originally years ago, and some of the old drives are still in there and working (6+ years now), and I've just slowly expanded it as I got the urge, since I keep everything mirrored (don't want to lose pictures, etc).

You stream from the media server or direct play? You go with actual server drives, like WD reds or just any ol thing? 5400 rpm or nvme ssds?

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I just have the plain old 120 GB ssd for OS and programs, plus a 2TB HDD for storage. I also have several external drives though for various backup and long term storage of stuff I don’t use very often (like old photos).

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    Direct play, and the older drives were cheaper 5400s, but the newer ones are better quality.

Honestly, I don't use it as much as I used to. It's still around mostly out of inertia.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    yavfnjeopf5c.png

Extra whip? Like a swap drive? That is bigger than all other drives?

Also, you know drives come in larger than 1TB right?

Extra Whip as in extra whipped cream. I needed to name it and the first thing I looked at was my starbucks cup.

C is a new SSD and my main system drive. G is my old small SSD that was my system drive before I got the 1 TB drive. I kept it around as another place for things where I want good load times. D and E are both fairly old drives from back before big drives were as cost effective. F is fairly new and is a hybrid drive. It stores games without loading times and projects I'm working on.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    I just have the plain old 120 GB ssd for OS and programs, plus a 2TB HDD for storage. I also have several external drives though for various backup and long term storage of stuff I don’t use very often (like old photos).

Hello brother. Let us stay strong and hold the line against these extra drive-ists.

For media serving I used to have a fuckload of stuff on my local network (so many hours ripping my DVD's :/) but I am more on the move these days so I moved that to an encrypted business Gdrive and VPS about a year ago and life is much better :)

What the hell do you guys do with all the physical stuff you buy? Who puts a DVD/BluRay in to watch a movie in 2019!?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    y'all got issues :)

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    m7330z79161g.png

I am running dangerously low on media storage. Since I'm going to be building a new rig when Ryzen 3000 comes out I'll be using this rig just for NAS. I'm going to take the Personal drive with me to my new computer so I'll probably replace it with one of those fancy 8tb+ drives.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I have 1 boot SSD, 1 platter drive for media, and 4xSSD in a raid 0 for my games.

E: I bought into the SSD fad super early so the 4xSSDs are like 120-256GBs.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I watch movies via streaming services now, despite owning physical copies. We just tossed/donated a big swath of them actually.

Honestly I try to play games instead, most of the time.

I have 4-5 drives sitting on my desk waiting for me to come up with a solution for them. I had a FreeNAS box set up at one point but I can't yet find a good home for it, since it will be on most of the time.
    I need more electric receptacles in my basement.

• Options
    I use my dvd drive to run physical ps2 games.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I have a SATA SSD boot drive, a M.2 games drive, a 2TB HDD that's nearly full with media, and an old "documents" drive that is honestly mostly legacy stuff that I don't need anymore like my old iTunes library. I actually think that's the drive where I'm currently syncing my onedrive and google drive to, etc.

When I upgrade next year I'll consolodate the two HDD's into one, probably just buy a 6TB drive and migrate both and be done with it. that'll eventually leave me with the SATA OS SSD, the m.2 games SSD, and a storage HDD.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I love the M.2 form factor but heat concerns still have me worried about using it exclusively. Will this get better as the controllers mature or is it more the fact you're installing it on a board in between other major heat sources?

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I love the M.2 form factor but heat concerns still have me worried about using it exclusively. Will this get better as the controllers mature or is it more the fact you're installing it on a board in between other major heat sources?

I've noticed with my latest build that high end motherboards are including M.2 heatsinks as part of their onbard M.2 slots. Heck, when I ordered that optane drive that gave me all that trouble, it even came with an aftermarket heatsink as well. Granted, I don't know about how well those things work, but both Gigabyte and Asus mobos included them when I was tinkering with my build. I guess that's going to be their workaround for now.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    My board has an entire heat plate over it's two M.2 slots. Even if your board doesn't, you can get some sticky backed heat spreaders and put them on the drive if you're that worried about it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Navi gpu leaks are coming out like crazy.
    Seems like 2060 to 2070 performance between the range. Nothing better than the Radeon VII.

Not a big discount either from what I read so I have no idea wtf amd is doing.

Why am I gonna buy a card that is similar in performance and price to a 2070 but without ray tracing cores?

I don't get it.

This has been the trajectory for a while. AMD has effectively given up on high end consumer parts. Can't blame them really when both console makers are using their chips, and likely will continue to use them next generation. Why push to take a slice of the very niche high end market when Nvidia has it on lock down and you can produce much cheaper, much easier to design, much higher yield silicon that is plenty fast enough for the consumer set top segment.

Especially when you see what kind of yield issues Nvidia had at the very highest transistor density (e.g. the TU102 die).

They might want the extra 3+ billion dollars Nvidia makes every year?

My view of this is not one of choice but of capability. This is also born out by the rumour/announcement of "Big" navi for next year.

They can't just wave a wand and catch up to Nvidia. For that matter that huge chunk of Nvidia's "extra" 3bn comes from mid tier cards, which even on price/performance (where AMD generally wins) they can't penetrate Nvidia's strangle hold. Even if they could wave a wand and have a 2080 Ti competitor, it would take a Herculean effort to penetrate that segment where people are heavily entrenched with expensive cards. If Nvidia beats them to the punch again before "big Navi", they are simply behind again in a segment they were going to have trouble penetrating anyway. The numbers don't lie, Nvidia owns a huge chunk of the consumer GPU market, and is the only player at the ultra high end.

For competition sake I hope AMD does keep trying to play in that market, but I'm not holding my breath. Intel seems to be our great hope to have real performance-pushing competition in the GPU segment again in the near term.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I wouldn't expect Intel's entry to the GPU market to be competitive.

• Options
    edited May 2019

What the hell do you guys do with all the physical stuff you buy? Who puts a DVD/BluRay in to watch a movie in 2019!?

I put it in to rip it and watch it after the fact :d

I actually went through the process of buying most everything I pirated while in college after I got a good paying job because it felt....right? A lot of it used, but still. The discs are just in storage now, but yeah.

And then I've been convinced that the streaming heyday would come to an end via balkanization which seems to be finally happening, so that's why I never stopped?

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Going from 0 to competitive in an established market against the leading entrenched incumbent

yeah good luck with that

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Orca wrote: »
    Going from 0 to competitive in an established market against the leading entrenched incumbent

yeah good luck with that

Their integrated cards get shit on by AMD's integrated stuff pretty consistently even still, don't they?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    They have some experience making low power gpus with their integrated offerings; I imagine they could build something at the low/middle end that could be competitive in it's own weight class. High end though? While fighting problems with their own process improvements? Nah.

• Options
    They have some experience making low power gpus with their integrated offerings; I imagine they could build something at the low/middle end that could be competitive in it's own weight class. High end though? While fighting problems with their own process improvements? Nah.

Low-powered offerings that are universally reviled for how crap they are. It's good enough to run Word in my experience, but that's about it.

• Options

Low-powered offerings that are universally reviled for how crap they are. It's good enough to run Word in my experience, but that's about it.

hey now. my 90's DOS games from GOG run great on my laptop with a UHD 620.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

hey now. my 90's DOS games from GOG run great on my laptop with a UHD 620.

I remember running a game from the late 90s on a laptop from the mid teens and it struggled to keep it above 25 fps. Are they still using the same iGPU stuff from the early naughts?

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    What are you guys keeping on these drives? I have a 1TB drive that is half filled and thinking about it makes me want to go clean something.

Am I neurotic? Or are you guys the digital equivalent of hoarders?

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »
    What are you guys keeping on these drives? I have a 1TB drive that is half filled and thinking about it makes me want to go clean something.

High definition audio/visual media.

• Options

my OS drive has about 200GB used out of 500, my 1TB games SSD is sitting at about 800GB used, and my media drive is sitting at 1.7 out of 2TB used. Media files are big, especially really good quality ones.

and it's not all movies, I have old gopro, etc video on that drive as well.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

I do 4k video editing for work that I sometimes work on at home, and then do hobbyist video and game design stuff as well here and there. Almost everything I'm not actively working on goes up to Google Drive, but I can still easily have several hundred GB of files at the same time. And like Bowen, I was an early adopter of SSDs and haven't had any fail, so I've got a mix of 128, 256 and 512 drives that I keep adding to.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

yeah good luck with that

Their integrated cards get shit on by AMD's integrated stuff pretty consistently even still, don't they?

Didn't always, but this kinda ties back into the process node problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units

Note how it goes straight from Ninth Generation to Eleventh Generation? Yeah.
    I will not comment on personal expectations as to competitiveness of any discrete cards that may come out

• Options
    Just tossing this out there (don't know why Anandtech didn't do a full comparison instead of only generational, like they did for the AMD release):

76303.png

74847.png

76304.png

74848.png

etc. Articles in question, if you want to see:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/9307/the-kaveri-refresh-godavari-review-testing-amds-a10-7870k/5

https://www.anandtech.com/show/9482/intel-broadwell-pt2-overclocking-ipc/9

Both from 2015. Just a specific point I remember being happy about that, which is why I went and found them.

Intel integrated graphics has not always sucked. :) We just did for a long time, got better, and then have been held hostage by our node problems >_>

This discussion has been closed.