As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Running old games on Windows 10

ReznikReznik Registered User regular
What are my options for running old games on Win 10?

I have original discs for C&C Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge, Warcraft 2 + expansion, Diablo 2 + expansion, Fallout 1, and Fallout 2. I tried installing RA2 setting the Setup.exe to compatibility mode for Win XP and then Win 98 but literally nothing happened, the disc didn't even spin up (the disc and the drive are both fine though).

DOSBox seems to support War2 and Fallout 1, but the others seem a bit too new -- any similar options? I really would rather not have to buy all these games again on Steam or GOG or whatever.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
Forget it...

• BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    If you have a Battle.net account, you can apply the CD Keys to your original discs of Diablo 2 and LoD to their classic line on their website (after you log in, it's in the account management page), and you'll be able to download the digital versions and play from there. That version has support for Windows 10.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    DOSbox is usually the gold standard for running old DOS games, but it's not perfect, especially without tweaking everything. There are guides on getting stuff working for it, but it's a lot of work sometimes, there's no set of "it just works" settings you can leave it on.

I have used Virtualbox a lot myself, working in IT I keep a good library of legacy operating systems handy, though. Without a handy compatible OS it's useless, but with one it can do some amazing things with less fiddling than DOSbox.

Hevach on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Red Alert 2 is worth chucking the CD key into Origin to see if it works. As far as I remember I did this with my old copy and it redeemed just fine.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Thanks guys. The RA2 keys didn't work in Origin, but I opened a support session and they added it to my account. Will try Battle.net next.

I thought about trying a VM with Virtualbox or VMWare, but I don't have any legit copies of the old OSes on hand so tracking down Win7 was gonna be my last resort.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    Try using "simple" game directories. No folders with more then 8 letters and no spaces or other weird symbols. For example, install your old games in c:\oldgames\

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    For operating systems, Microsoft does have a server with isos of several old operating systems. It doesn't bypass the need for a key, but if you have an old PC around it might have one stickered on it.

If you want to get crazy, run a free Linux distro. Wine for Windows games, DOSemu for DOS (DOSbox is on Linux, too, but it's basically the same as Windows. DOSemu has it's own quirks and compatibility that makes it worth a shot when the other fails). I haven't gamed on Wine in years, but I remember it being slightly less painful than getting DOS stuff running.

Now, there does come a point when you're nesting environments inside other environments when, "How much is a new copy on GOG something?" becomes a relevant question. Admittedly I've offered a solution here that could well end with you running a game in DOSbox on Wine on a Linux virtual machine from a Windows 7 dual boot to play a game just for you to remember ten minutes in why you stopped playing in the first place.

Hevach on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    For whatever it's worth, you can buy both Fallouts for $2.49 US each, on GOG.com, right now. I know it's rebuying, but they collectively cost less than a Starbucks coffee.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    There are fan patches to get the Command and Conquers to run. There is a whole website dedicated to it.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    There is a site out there with fan patches for the Sierra games. The only problem with a fan patch is that they usually don't have an uninstaller.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    There is a site out there with fan patches for the Sierra games. The only problem with a fan patch is that they usually don't have an uninstaller.

Flipside is most old games and fanpatchs take up less space than your average chrome browser add on nowadays

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508