As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Tournaments are back!

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Getting some spirits in Ultimate from the ultimate Paper Mario.

You have chosen wisely, Masahiro.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Smash unlocked here in Spain. Did a few versus CPU before going to bed. Playing on the Switch is going to take some getting used to, I keep messing up all my tilts on the joycon joystick. Too asleep to play gud right now, hopefully I'll have time tomorrow.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the joycons seem like non-ideal controls for smash, yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    the joycons seem like non-ideal controls for smash, yeah

Well, I mostly Switch on handheld mode, so I better start learning.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    The left analog stick on my pro controller is prone to making dust, everywhere I read online says that's normal for all sorts of controllers. I clean it off, but I'm sure playing smash is going to make that more often.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Finished Classic with Mario. Ended up with 527,460 points at intensity 7.7.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I can confirm those are numbers

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    AWESOME numbers

probably

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Bowser's new down smash seems really good.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Well, everyone, The Game Awards are almost upon us. And in the spirit of vacuous award ceremonies related to video games getting one-upped by the release of Super Smash Brothers Ultimate, I feel it's high time we handed out

The First (and Last) Annual Penny-Arcade Smash 5 Roster Prediction Game Run By Kupi
    's Bonus Awards

A while back I forewarned the Penny-Arcade commentariat that in addition to the final results of the roster prediction game, I would be tabulating a few alternative scores and handing out bonus awards, akin to the extra Power Stars they hand out at the end of a game of Mario Party to screw with everyone's carefully-managed expectations. And though I still don't know if Kass shows up to play music on the Breath of the Wild stage (seriously, that question will determine who's going to win overall), the scores for every other category are clear. So without further ado, let's hand out the awards.

The Uncle Who Works At Nintendo Award
    Honoring Excellence In Distinctive Predictions

We all know that the true oracle of what's coming in Nintendo-land is your uncle. You know the one. The one who works for Nintendo. For this award, I gave everyone a second score that tracked the value of their successful predictions divided by the ratio of their wager to the sum of everyone's wagers on that character. That is to say: the fewer people guessed a particular character got in, the more the points for successfully guessing that character counted for.

This game's winner is:
    @T-Danger! A completely unique vote for Dark Samus was enough to put T-Danger's Uncle Score over everyone else's.

Honorable Mentions:
    @Kupi
    @Cruor

The Luigi Wins By Doing Nothing Award
    For A Spectacular Performance Of Needless Self-Destruction

Besides having a mean glare, Luigi is also known for being dead standing perfectly still while his enemies embarass themselves into a self-inflicted defeat. This award memorializes the unfortunate ones who lost the most points to bad guesses, regardless of their net final score.

This game's "winner" is:
    @T-Danger (again)! With so many guesses and so few available right answers, perhaps it was inevitable that the person with the best track record for unique guesses also had the most total points lost to misses. Can't win 'em all, eh? Unless you win by not winning. This, uh... made more sense before I said it. Moving on...

Dishonorable Mentions:
    @Cruor - 42 points lost
    @Kupi - 37 points lost

The Wii-U Ad Strategy Award
    Commemorating Those Who Weren't Confident Enough

The Wii-U had some truly fantastic games. Not enough of them, to be sure, but the ones they had were terrific. And yet, the world's television screens were mostly silent about the console. Was Nintendo simply overconfident that the Wii name would drive sales on its own? Who can say. Either way, as the Wii-U ad strategy baffled with its lack of effort, the Wii-U Ad Strategy Award is bestowed upon the particpant who lost the most points to underbidding on successful guesses. If you wagered 2 points on a correct guess, well, you could have had 5, so that's 3 Wii-U Points.

This game's winner is:
    @Kupi! ... oh hm. Though I managed to call Ridley, Wolf, K. Rool, and even Simon Belmont, my cautious betting strategy left 13 whole points on the table.

Hesitant Mentions:
    @T-Danger: 9
    @Zombie Hero: 7

And finally...

The 4Chan """Leak""" Committee Award
    A Tribute To The Game's Most Massive Misdirection

The """leaks""" posted to 4Chan were a plague on discussion of Smash Ultimate all the way up to the final Nintendo Direct, as chucklefucks took potshots into the dark hoping to get just enough right to make people trust them and get Smashboards hopping excitedly for Geno once again. The worst part was the same names popping up reliably one after the other as the fakers fed on each other for inspiration. In that same spirit, this award is given both to the character who drew the most collected confidence from our prognosticators without actually appearing in the game, and the posters who were led astray by them.

This game's winner is:
    Spring Man! Voted for by @BlueBlue (5), @Zek (5), @Cruor (5), @T-Danger (4), @Kupi (4), and @Maz- (4), for 27 points lost in total.

Other "Obvious" Choices:
    Decidueye: @BlueBlue (5), @T-Danger (5), @Kupi (4), @Maz- (4), and @Cruor (2), 20 points in all.
    Rex: @BlueBlue (5), @Maz- (5), @T-Danger (4), @Kupi (4), 18 points in all.

This concludes the Bonus Awards. Come back Saturday after I've had to the opportunity to stare at the Breath of the Wild stage for a while to see if I can find Kass playing any music, and typed up the final announcement.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I feel pretty good about getting both an honorable and dishonorable mention. I feel like they cancel out and I'm back to neutral. Huzzah!

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Bowser's new down smash seems really good.

Also really good: the new Termina Field remix.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    First character in the pack is the protagonist from Persona 5.

Hooooooolllly shiiiiiiiit. What the actual fuck.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Persoooooonaaaaaa

Joker from Persona 5 coming as the 1st DLC

Kanden on
  • Options
    I fucking love Persona and this just bums me out that I haven't gotten to 5 yet.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    This means Persona music.

Imagine:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jaIo82uT0qs

• Options
    Please let Burn my Dread be in Smash.

Pleeeeeeeeeaseeee.

THIS GAME, YOU GUYS. FUCK!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I fucking love Persona and this just bums me out that I haven't gotten to 5 yet.

Same! P4 and is be squealing so much right now. More incentive to finally play P5 I guess!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I didn’t see it comin’

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    No idea what Persona is.

With Mortal Kombat 11 coming to Switch, maybe we'll get like Sub-Zero or something.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Okay, thread. Here's the plan for tomorrow. I need to work all day long, starting super early (like 5 am) and ending probably somewhat late (like... 8 pm?). So I won't be able to play Smash until night time.

I also need (NEED) to know how well online play works and if it's functional and not a laggy mess, but I don't trust opinions I read on the wider internet because other spaces are so full of trolling. Plus it's not even worldwide launch day yet, so who knows what switches have yet to be flipped or whatever.

I need PA forumers - and not Nintendo Defense Force fanboys! - to let me know tomorrow if, other than typical launch day woes, it seems like Ultimate plays well online. Don't hold back and don't try to be forgiving or cute about it. If you have lag in your online matches - and I mean any of it, other than a very occasional hiccup that doesn't affect gameplay - I wanna know.

I really want Smash to be a game that I can play online a lot. I'm going to be so disappointed if it's anything like Brawl (which was often absolute garbage online). But I never feel like I can get a real, honest opinion about it.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    What I really need is for them to use this to port P5 to the Switch

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Persona 5's music is dope as fuck and the fact that it's coming to Smash is amazing. People were already hype for the game's launch tonight but now they have this. Mama mia what a night.

• Options
    Persona 5 is on sale right now on the PSN store.

Fuck it. You win, Atlus. Buying it now.

The power of cross promotional synergy!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Alright, yeah. Joker makes sense, since Megaten has a long history on Nintendo consoles.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    If Persona was on Nintendo’s list, any worry I may have foolishly harbored is now a distant memory

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Javen wrote: »
    If Persona was on Nintendo’s list, any worry I may have foolishly harbored is now a distant memory
    Indeed.

We can expect/feel free to speculate on some some pretty crazy shit now. The precedent has been set for that pack.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Alright, yeah. Joker makes sense, since Megaten has a long history on Nintendo consoles.

Sure, but Persona specifically doesn't.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I just watched some solo online play on Twitch. Well, one match. Four player. No lag! Looks so good!

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Morgana as a assist trophy that puts enemies to sleep incoming IMO.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Indeed.

We can expect/feel free to speculate on some some pretty crazy shit now. The precedent has been set for that pack.

I dunno, this has kind of almost completely killed my desire to speculate. It proves that it can be anybody from anything. It was fun to speculate under some sort of limitation. But there's no limitation anymore, it's now virtually all of media. That's too big of an ocean to even bother trying to guess anything.

...And yet guess I will.

Master Chief from Halo. Because Nintendo and MS are on fairly friendly terms, and MS could leverage it as a dig against Sony.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited December 2018
    Indeed.

I dunno, this has kind of almost completely killed my desire to speculate. It proves that it can be anybody from anything. It was fun to speculate under some sort of limitation. But there's no limitation anymore, it's now virtually all of media. That's too big of an ocean to even bother trying to guess anything.

...And yet guess I will.

Master Chief from Halo. Because Nintendo and MS are on fairly friendly terms, and MS could leverage it as a dig against Sony.

Well, medium. It's still a video game character, and they haven't yet broken that "character has been on a Nintendo system" rule yet.

Enlong on
  • Options
    No idea what Persona is.

With Mortal Kombat 11 coming to Switch, maybe we'll get like Sub-Zero or something.

Persona is a spin-off series from Megami Tensei. The actual Persona games haven't appeared on Nintendo systems (aside from the spin-off Persona Q dungeon crawlers by the Etrian Odyssey folks), but Megaten has a long history on them (most of the main line games, at least half the spin-offs, and the upcoming Shin Megami Tensei 5 for Switch, for instance). Megaten definitely has the clout to earn a rep, but I think anyone who was asked would have guessed at Jack Frost (the face of the overall series and Atlus's mascot) or one of the protagonists of the main series games.

Joker is definitely more recognizable to the public though, personas offer the chance to do interesting mechanics (see the Persona 4 Arena games).

His final smash had better be Santanael / Seven Sins.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Zython wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

Sure, but Persona specifically doesn't.

Persona Q and Persona Q2, actually. Joker does, in fact, appear on a Nintendo system already. Er... as of last week, in JP.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    No idea what Persona is.

it's a series of JRPGs basically

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.