As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Tournaments are back!

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I am

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the rocks of the eternal shore, crash against me and be broken

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I was going to go for Daisy, but sure.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I mean, I'm not good at anyone else, either.

• Options
    Oh, Daisy? So more of a tiger-force at the core of all things than the rocks of the eternal shore, got it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Crazy detail that may only appeal to Olds: the Burrowing Snaglet assist trophy makes a fantastic chicken scream when it pops up. You can hear it here (from the old Isabelle glitch):

https://youtu.be/NOIkDhzmRj0

I thought that scream sounded familiar, so I looked it up. It's from the Warner Bros. sound library, and was first used in 1949. Meaning it's almost certain that cartoon voice legend Mel Blanc is a small part of Smash Ultimate.
    Bugs Bunny DLC confirmed.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    i do not have the manual dexterity or reflexes to desync ice climbers

but that's fine, keeps me honest.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    As a follow-on on the subject of classic animated characters: the deedlebobs on the top of Isabelle's head pull a Mickey Mouse and maintain their orientation regardless of which direction she's facing.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Sub Zero Suit Samus

That is excellent wordsmithery.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I think I'm doing myself a disservice by comparing my skill level to people who played Smash 4 and Brawl.

I consistently make it into elite, then get crushed out of it again, and it's really demoralizing each time

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Javen wrote: »
    I think I'm doing myself a disservice by comparing my skill level to people who played Smash 4 and Brawl.

I consistently make it into elite, then get crushed out of it again, and it's really demoralizing each time

If it makes you feel better, this keeps happening to me too, and I'm using the same character I've been using since 2001

It doesn't really reflect on you if you get beasted on in there. Some of the people in Elite Smash are just beasts at this game

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    a ridley/bowser main made it to grand finals in Valhalla II

ridley is doin it

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    a ridley/bowser main made it to grand finals in Valhalla II

ridley is doin it

Heavies getting serious rep in tourneys is making me really happy.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I’m so glad that I enjoy playing Ridley. Mah boy hasn’t let me down.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Ridley is definitely a contender for my favorite. I'm having the worst time narrowing it down to a main or even a pair of mains.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Breaking into elite without that prior experience is absolutely something you should be proud of. Especially since (as I've heard) this game isn't far off from Smash 4 2, mechanically, so the previous-edition-experience is even more valuable.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I regularly get ruined by people at like 100k GSP so I don't think you should feel bad about being on the edge of elite.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    I'm getting good enough at Zero Suit Samus that a loss isn't an inevitable conclusion when I play online. Had a lot of good, smooth matches this weekend. I have (and don't we all) some quibbles about matchmaking and options, but actual performance has been mostly good for me for the most part.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Crazy detail that may only appeal to Olds: the Burrowing Snaglet assist trophy makes a fantastic chicken scream when it pops up. You can hear it here (from the old Isabelle glitch):

I thought that scream sounded familiar, so I looked it up. It's from the Warner Bros. sound library, and was first used in 1949. Meaning it's almost certain that cartoon voice legend Mel Blanc is a small part of Smash Ultimate.

why do you think it's not a recording of an actual chicken?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    So 3 stock game. I've run into a couple cases where after I take the first stock they they go and SD twice. Like really? People just give up after that?

I know I'm playing Isabelle, but still.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019

Don't feel bad, I played Smash4 a decent amount and the highest I've gotten was like 980k on my main. Keep getting crushed down to like 80k by dudes rated at 2mil, it's been brutal. Though I did have a sick 4 player no items ffa where i just beast moded and wasted everyone for some reason. It felt cool to throw an axe and go "that Falcon is toast (before it hit him), lets kill this Ike...upB GAME!". Doesn't happen often lol.

I'm wondering if I should stick with Richter as my main. I enjoy him alot but the matches can be one sided because he doesn't do too great vs alot of characters if you get in close on him. Anyone else playing him have advice?

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Because it sounds like Mel and actual chickens don't scream like that. And even if they did, it would be easier to get Mel to scream into a microphone than to lug 1940s recording equipment to a farm and hope a chicken gets sufficiently pissed off.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Okay, new crazy-ass rumor about Smash DLC. IGN's saying this came from a Japanese guy back in December 9, and has gained traction because it included mention of Persona 5R and Erdrick as a fighter. So, the other three. Hold onto your butts.

Minecraft Steve, with Alex and Master Chief skins.
    Ryu Hayabusa, from Ninja Gaiden.
    Doomguy. As in the guy from Doom. Supposedly will have the Doom 64 skin.

I know, I know. Doomguy? Pretty bananapants. But Bethesda has been a pretty enthusiastic supporter of Switch...

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited January 2019

Because it sounds like Mel and actual chickens don't scream like that. And even if they did, it would be easier to get Mel to scream into a microphone than to lug 1940s recording equipment to a farm and hope a chicken gets sufficiently pissed off.

Actually, little-known fact about Mel Blanc: he was a chicken. And he was frequently pissed off.

Edit: According to the Hyrule Historia compendium, the Cuccos in Zelda were originally called "Mel Blancs," but they changed it because his estate (his family, and their team of lawyers) threatened to sue. That's where the whole swarming-pack-of-Cuccos thing originates.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Okay, new crazy-ass rumor about Smash DLC. IGN's saying this came from a Japanese guy back in December 9, and has gained traction because it included mention of Persona 5R and Erdrick as a fighter. So, the other three. Hold onto your butts.

Minecraft Steve, with Alex and Master Chief skins.
    Ryu Hayabusa, from Ninja Gaiden.
    Doomguy. As in the guy from Doom. Supposedly will have the Doom 64 skin.

I know, I know. Doomguy? Pretty bananapants. But Bethesda has been a pretty enthusiastic supporter of Switch...

Nothing would make me happier than Doomguy...

...except Zero from MegaMan. Maybe.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Space Marine would be interesting . The fact that Steve has a Master cheif skin means I'll never need to play as Steve so I can forgive this frankly dull addition.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I will be over the goddamn moon if that leak is real. Just because it's so zany and terrific. I'm not a big fan of Minecraft or Ninja Gaiden, but Joker/Erdrick/Steve/Ryu/Doomguy is such a solid lineup for the $$$. Representative of Nintendo's history and also modern gaming. That Master Chief skin is a bit harder to believe, but if true, wow.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    do minecraft and doom have like, any japanese presence at all

maybe minecraft i could see but i can't imagine doom being big there in the slightest

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

maybe minecraft i could see but i can't imagine doom being big there in the slightest

If nothing else, Sakurai's played it, and there's a Japanese Youtube series on it. Minecraft is the second highest-selling individual game of all time, after Tetris. I'd be astonished if it didn't have notable market penetration in Japan, at least.

Doom I'll give you as being more obscure in a Nintendo context, but 1) DOOM 2016 was recently ported to the Switch, 2) Bethesda has had closer ties with Nintendo recently, and "Nintendo made the decisions regarding the DLC characters this time", and 3) Sakurai is something of a games historian, and I feel like he couldn't be completely unaware of DOOM's significance-- what we call "first-person shooters" were referred to for a while as "Doom clones".

It's implausible but not impossible, meaning I don't give this """leak""" a single whit of genuine credibility.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Minecraft is VERY big in Japan. Halfway through 2018, the top-downloaded digital game for Switch in Japan was Minecraft.

Doom might not be quite the phenomenon, but it's at least popular enough to show up in a Japanese poll of favorite first and third-person shooters.

Though, as always, the whole "Japan doesn't like this game" sentiment is pretty useless in predicting Smash stuff. All the asserting that Japan hates Metroid Prime didn't stop Smash from getting a Metroid Prime stage and Dark Samus.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The sheer saturation of DOOM grants it a minor following everywhere. Some form of DOOM has appeared on everything from DOS to Game Boy to Sega 32X to Switch.

He’s a presence on par with the Castlevania boys to be sure, and outsold the pair of them many times over world wide.

• Options

Minecraft is VERY big in Japan. Halfway through 2018, the top-downloaded digital game for Switch in Japan was Minecraft.

Doom might not be quite the phenomenon, but it's at least popular enough to show up in a Japanese poll of favorite first and third-person shooters.

Though, as always, the whole "Japan doesn't like this game" sentiment is pretty useless in predicting Smash stuff.
    fair enough. i did a quick google and found an interview where Sakurai referenced Carmack as a big name, too

i don't know, i just feel like generally the "western" stuff in smash has been nintendo's own? i think metroid and maybe punch-out iirc

but if you're selling a standalone piece of DLC i would expect a pivot toward broader appeal. it's possible Doom is significant enough overseas to fit that i suppose.

• Options

Doom is at least from a historical context probably internationally recognized by gamers.

Minecraft is a phenomenon. I still argue that nobody cares about the generic player avatar at all

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Dragonborn is 1000% more likely than Doomguy

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Given its creator, I'd really rather Minecraft not be given notoriety by appearing in Smash.

• Options
    Given its creator, I'd really rather Minecraft not be given notoriety by appearing in Smash.

He doesnt have anything to do with it anymore at least. Microsoft is fully in charge of it

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    If Minecraft is already second only to tetris, it’s the one giving smash notoriety by appearing

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

I don't think you can really give minecraft any more notoriety than it already has. Everyone knows about minecraft.

But also yeah, Notch has had nothing to do with it for quite a while.

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I also seriously doubt anyone who sees Minecraft Steve in Smash who isn't already familiar with Notch is gonna go, "oh, hey, it's Steve. Now that he's in Smash, I guess I'll go research Minecraft's creator now."

Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    Hayabusa and Doom guy would be worth $25 alone for me, but by this point I've learned to completely ignore smash leaks. Remeber that one before release? Soooo many hopes raised and dashed.

This discussion has been closed.