As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] We are that guy. He is us.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Got the imgur album up. Hopefully it helps. I tried to be pretty detailed. If you have any questions let me know.

Repulsor Magnet album.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    New post to their Facebook page:

k2xcez8wlwqu.jpg

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    In today's Regimental Standard, we skip past the idea of uparmoring and upgunning the venerable Leman Russ and get right to the heart of improving the tank.

Stencils!

see317 on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So I guess we're getting new possessed csm?

honovere on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Chrysis wrote: »
    Viking wrote: »
    @Chrysis don't forget your Rubrics/Sorcerer/combi-bolter terminators all benefit from the new Bolter rules

I haven't, but it's my first time going and it's a group in Japan, mixed Japanese and English-speaking, so I don't know if they'll be in effect just yet.

Rubric squads can also be used to inflict some subtle anti-tank damage if you use the Vets of the Long War stratagem. They'll wound Toughness 7 and below on 4s and T8 on 5s, then they're taking saves at -2.

It's no substitute for dedicated anti armor, but it can help plink a few wounds of a dred.

• Options
    Also, a friend of mine has been keeping his eyes on the Genestealer Cult rules, and heres a neat balance mechanic: you can take Astra Militarum formations, but you only get half cp for them (rounding up). So if you take a Battalion of Astra, you would get 3 cp instead of 5.

I wouldn't be opposed to that making its way to other armies be they Imperial, Eldar, or whoever else is making soup. You want some Guard in your Marine list? Cool, but you don't get Loyal 32 cp spam as well.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »
    I do pretty well against both as Tau, bringing the trusty broadside+shadowsun Death Star.
    Clever use of Montka will shut down eldar shennanigans, letting you get close enough to blank alatoic on planes, and you have infinity smart missiles to kill reapers pretty easily.

Against Knights you just ignore the castellian and kill everything else in the list in the space of 1-2 turns and win on objectives. I know of no other list that can have one unit fire on six seperate guard squads and do enough reliable casualties to clear them out on morale.

Most other armies you table turn 2-3.

Can you explain this Tau list to me? My friend plays them and they're one of the few armies I don't really "get" making lists for, due to how drones work. PM if necessary.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    So I guess we're getting new possessed csm?

That thing in the background with the spikes also looks an awful lot like a similar looking vehicle on the box art for Urban Conquest which also happens to take place on Vigilus...

This thing, above the Land Raider- spoilered for likely huge:

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'll buy 3 of any CSM vehicle that does not look like goofy as shit

I'm starving over here

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'll buy 3 of any CSM vehicle that does not look like goofy as shit

I'm starving over here

99120102041_LordofSkulls01.jpg
    Graaah! Check me out! I'm a tank that's also a dude! Look at how big my axe is!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I always start to mock the big goofy skull gun but then get distracted by the baby juggernaut heads.

He does look a lot better with his forgeworld legs. I wish there was another similar kit for making the bottom part a legitimate tank.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    He can drive himself closer to hit them with his axe.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Norgoth wrote: »
    I do pretty well against both as Tau, bringing the trusty broadside+shadowsun Death Star.
    Clever use of Montka will shut down eldar shennanigans, letting you get close enough to blank alatoic on planes, and you have infinity smart missiles to kill reapers pretty easily.

Against Knights you just ignore the castellian and kill everything else in the list in the space of 1-2 turns and win on objectives. I know of no other list that can have one unit fire on six seperate guard squads and do enough reliable casualties to clear them out on morale.

Most other armies you table turn 2-3.

Can you explain this Tau list to me? My friend plays them and they're one of the few armies I don't really "get" making lists for, due to how drones work. PM if necessary.

It’s cool, I’ll post it here because it’s good advice for anyone really.

So this is the Tau list I won the recent local tournament with
    ++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [81 PL, 1475pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: Markerlight

Commander Shadowsun [9 PL, 110pts]

+ Troops +

Strike Team [2 PL, 35pts]
    . Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Pulse rifle
    . 4x Fire Warrior w/ Pulse Rifle

Strike Team [2 PL, 38pts]
    . Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse rifle

Strike Team [2 PL, 38pts]
    . Fire Warrior Shas'ui: Markerlight, Pulse rifle

+ Elites +

XV104 Riptide Battlesuit [14 PL, 278pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system, Heavy burst cannon, Velocity tracker

XV104 Riptide Battlesuit [14 PL, 278pts]: 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system, Heavy burst cannon, Velocity tracker

XV8 Crisis Battlesuits [12 PL, 243pts]
    . Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Cyclic ion blaster
    . Crisis Shas'ui: 3x Cyclic ion blaster
    . Crisis Shas'vre: 3x Cyclic ion blaster

+ Heavy Support +

XV88 Broadside Battlesuits [24 PL, 413pts]: 5x MV4 Shield Drone
    . Broadside Shas'ui: 2x High-yield missile pod, 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system
    . Broadside Shas'ui: 2x High-yield missile pod, 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system
    . Broadside Shas'vre: 2x High-yield missile pod, 2x Smart missile system, Advanced targeting system

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (T'au Empire) [10 PL, 192pts] ++

+ HQ +

Cadre Fireblade [2 PL, 42pts]: 2. Through Unity, Devastation, Markerlight, Puretide engram neurochip, Warlord

Ethereal [2 PL, 45pts]: Honour blade

+ Troops +

++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (T'au Empire) [18 PL, 333pts] ++

+ HQ +

Commander in XV85 Enforcer Battlesuit [7 PL, 148pts]: 4x Cyclic ion blaster

+ Elites +

Firesight Marksman [1 PL, 25pts]: Markerlight, Pulse pistol

+ Fast Attack +

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]
    . 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
    . Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight

Pathfinder Team [3 PL, 40pts]
    . 4x Pathfinder: 4x Markerlight
    . Pathfinder Shas'ui: Markerlight

Tactical Drones [4 PL, 80pts]: 8x MV4 Shield Drone

++ Total: [109 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

There’s a few things you need to consider with Tau list building.

First is CP. Your really CP hungry as an army so you want at least two battalions. This is an easy pick because MSU squads of firewarriors are (effectively) fearless under an ethereal and easily one of the best infantry units in the game with buffs.

Second is markerlights. Common Tau threads online will tell you to only take character ML. This is wrong. You do take character ML because they are reliable, but you also need volume. Most Tau lists will only be able to mark one unit a turn, this one can do two which is a huge increase. People who complain pathfinders are fragile and die turn one are not playing them correctly. Deploy them out of LOS and then use the scout move if you go first so they can shoot. They will die turn two, but the damage is done at that point.

Third is drones. People take way too many. Some advice I’ve seen is 12 per riptide which is insane. Realistically games of 8th are decided by round 3. You only need to have enough drones for one turn of shooting to come out ontop of that race. Again it’s really common to see people play their drones terribly. Your normal anti-tau advice is to shoot the drones, a good tau player won’t let this happen. No LOS is needed for protocols so drones should be hugging cover constantly. Play them well and you don’t need that many.

Your’e going to see in any competent Tau list the combo of missilesides and shadowsun. It was really powerful before, but then GW dropped the points on broadsides and now they are incredibly undercosted. Even a 400 point unit shouldn’t be able to kill anything from six seperate guard squads up to a knight but here we are. These are a prime example of how to play Tau correctly this edition. Volume of fire + all the buffs. (+1 to hit, +1 to wound reroll misses really screws with math in your favour with two sets of 24 shots). Your’e also going to see at least one to three riptides. I like two, I think three isn’t as good as it seems and I personally prefer the crisis suit squad simply because it’s a more mobile element in an otherwise static list. That and having a scary deepstrike forced more conservative play from opponents which is good for Tau as a whole.

It’s worth knowing how drones work and playing them correctly to get the most out of them. The sequence goes
    1.Hit
    2.Wound
    3.Saviour protocols
    4.Save.
    5. Damage

The key is that if protocols goes off on its 2+ the sequence ends. The wound is converted into a single mortal wound only. Resolve each wound individually rather than fast rolling because of the drone FNP. A drones unit can soak more wounds than there are drones because of this. I have seen people take say, five wounds, have a three drone unit and just roll three saviours and take the other two saves even if drones survive, this is wrong. This is why you can survive easily against the castellian. It’s targets are going to be the big suits, having a 2+ “Save” vs it’s guns will stop its firepower dead. (Especially on riptides who have a 2+ drone Save and then a 3+ invulnerable)

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    That post makes me want to play Tau. I am still torn on who my Xenos army should be since I am selling my orks. I just don't care for them. GSC looks amazing too. I was going to do Eldar but the Eldar I want to play isn't that great and I am not sure I want to paint such tiny bodies.

On the new Chaos stuff. I just want updated models. My 50 plus CSM that 20 years old can be retired. I would happily slowly rebuild and repaint the army with new stuff. Also maybe not paint them my custom colors but who knows. It is nice to be able to swap legions. Though I am technically painted like an offshoot of Emp's Children mostly by accident.

Also I like the dinobots. They take forever to paint but I think they look neat.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Apparently we will be getting news from LVO later this evening, 6pm Vegas time.

• Options

Yup, I have club members there. They tend to send it out asap before it hits the news sites.

We also all usually get the NoVA news this way too.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Yup, I have club members there. They tend to send it out asap before it hits the news sites.

So... so... we can hear it from you first Mazzy?

No-Quarter on
  • Options

So... so... we can hear it from you first Mazzy?

I am out tonight, so probably Warhammer Community site. They tend to put it all up right afterwards anyway.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Betting on new Chaos models, personally.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Betting on new Chaos models, personally.

Yeah me too. They teased chaos yesterday and generally they follow up with the announcement quite quickly after a major tease.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    guessing slaanesh and khorne factions, and probably new chaos marines

maybe angron and fulgrim?

also, sigmar generals handbook 2019 should be coming out soon with some big nerfs to nagash and DoK hopefully

• Options
    Bought a stormtalon gunship awhile ago to make a stormhawk interceptor but the box doesn't have instructions for a stormhawk. This is kind of frustrating.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    For some reason I cannot edit my post. So the box also does not have the parts to make a stormhawk interceptor. Is this something GW might be able to help with by sending the sprue with the stormhawk interceptor parts?

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    If it was supposed to come with an extra sprue of those parts, then email or call their customer service and they will most likely send it. Their customer support is top notch.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    If it was supposed to come with an extra sprue of those parts, then email or call their customer service and they will most likely send it. Their customer support is top notch.

I will go ahead and email them and hopefully I can get that sprue.

In the meantime I will build the models from that new AdMech KT box. Just not sure what to equip the tech-priest with. Transonic cannon or magnarail lance.

• Options
    In case ya'll didn't know Marc Merrill founder of riot is playing Alex Fennell who received that $5k good sportsmanship thing last year at the LVO on FLG.

It has 2,100 people watching. That is nuts.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I'm also seeing primaris Telion, scouts, and reiver/scout librarian.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    I like the helbrute with the big cannon on top and two fists.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    This was really cool. Ha! That last dice roll.

Now... where is my preview of new stuff? Come on, G Dubs!

• Options
    How similar are Necrons and AdMech? I like to joke with my friend that AdMech are wannabe Necrons and I have an AdMech KT but I do really like how they look and I think they are interesting and possibly make an AdMech 40K army at some point but I also have my Necrons and I'm not sure how much they might overlap.

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    How similar are Necrons and AdMech? I like to joke with my friend that AdMech are wannabe Necrons and I have an AdMech KT but I do really like how they look and I think they are interesting and possibly make an AdMech 40K army at some point but I also have my Necrons and I'm not sure how much they might overlap.

They don't really overlap at all. The servitor/destroyers are very similar in look but not play. No resurrection protocols. Long range in a lot of things. Have the canticles rule for buffs through out the game. Also much faster.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Worth noting that the pic's named "Shadowspear" and it looks like there's space for the 40K logo on it, so good chance it'll be a new boxed set.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    #4 in particular...
    <meta property="article:tag" content="Warhammer 40000" />
    <meta property="article:tag" content="Chaos" />
    <meta property="article:tag" content="Sylvaneth" />
    <meta property="article:tag" content="Abaddon" />
    <meta property="article:tag" content="Shadespire" />
    <meta property="article:tag" content="Warhammer Underworlds" />
    <meta property="article:tag" content="Blades of Khorne" />
    <meta property="article:tag" content="GW.com Homepage Post 1" />
    <meta property="article:tag" content="Sisters of Battle" />
    <meta property="article:tag" content="Primaris" />
    <meta property="article:tag" content="Warhammer Age of Sigmar" />
    <meta property="article:tag" content="The Big Community Survey" />
    <meta property="article:tag" content="Warhammer Heroes" />
    <meta property="article:tag" content="Endless Spells" />
    <meta property="article:tag" content="40k" />
    <meta property="article:tag" content="AoS" />
    <meta property="article:tag" content="nightvault" />
    <meta property="article:tag" content="Shadowspear" />

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    So from the guy in the preview:

Abbadon confirmed
    New plastic oblits
    New Black Legion box set
    Primaris snipers/scouts

Not a ton more info but that is the new stuff.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    So on the new box set.

CSM vs. New Marines.

Every model is new.

The loyalist are special ops.

Typing this as I get whatsapp info.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    JUST PLUG IT ALL INTO MY VEINS

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    The Warhammer Community page updated with all relevant info

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Sounds like their going to spin up the sisters preview soon

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    New Chaos Marines is good.

More loyalist Marines is ehhhhhh.

This discussion has been closed.