As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] We are that guy. He is us.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I agree. This was 15 minutes+5 minutes to base coat it because it was grey plastic. So 20 minutes total.
    PbnDoz2l.jpg

WScWeVcl.jpg

kTk83EMl.jpg

eNl0Iy6l.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I’ve heard that you should consider putting a varnish on contrast painted models (and definitely on the texture paints). I picked up mine today but I won’t have a chance to use them for the next two weeks.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    You should put varnish on every model that isn't just sitting in a cabinet, I think.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    zrccjsm3df1u.png

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/06/16/pre-order-preview-bring-on-the-apocalypse/
    Hmm a different rule set to speed up the game and other reasons I am now kind of interested

• Options
    Also the return of Battalions
    nw47b4grt4zc.pngn65xjoxuqc2o.png
    bdfhgx80pdx5.pngktmse20udkso.pngagi6r2yydtcg.png
    aykokt6abu83.png
    nss5rk7phjyb.png
    eia8y1zqg753.png
    0lizylh6a2gg.png
    wdtgqwccdp4c.png
    Some of them look like good deals others not so

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I kind of want the Necron, T'au, and Admech one. I don't mind having in total 18 Wraiths, 18 Tomb Blades, 4 Crypteks, and a third Dooms Day Ark.

I only have T'au and Admech for KT but I've always wanted to at least have a T'au 40K army.

I wonder how much these will cost.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    I'd guess £100-120/$150-200 - price of two start collecting boxes kind of thing (as that's pretty much what the Eldar one is)

• Options
    I am probably going to get the necron one since i have none of those models other than the ones i got in the admech/necron game the eldar i am talking my brother into it since he is building a beil tan army with the haterd of the ynnari

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    The rules for Apocalypse are looking pretty interesting too. Damage gets applied at the end of round, so when you bring the big toys, they don't get alpha struck off the table never having had a chance to do anything. Infantry arranged by movememt bases with big things striking whole bases. GW has obviously learned important lessons from the problems with previous versions of Apocalypse.

GW meant it when they said KT/40K/Apocalypse would present three different ways to play.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Gotta say GW is being a right arsehole by designing a bunch of functional shit I actually want to play with models just affordable enough I can justify em in my entertainment budget.

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I kind of want the Necron, T'au, and Admech one. I don't mind having in total 18 Wraiths, 18 Tomb Blades, 4 Crypteks, and a third Dooms Day Ark.

I only have T'au and Admech for KT but I've always wanted to at least have a T'au 40K army.

Be aware when buying the Admech one that you will literally never have use for more than one Datasmith aside from filling out Brigades, and most Admech players don't think you should take any at all.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm not going to start a guard treadhead army

• Options

The Baneblade will now offer all 8 flavors in one box

4x8twplnwz4a.png

• Options
    Monwyn wrote: »

Be aware when buying the Admech one that you will literally never have use for more than one Datasmith aside from filling out Brigades, and most Admech players don't think you should take any at all.

Oh, that is a bummer. I'll just stick to the Necron and Tau one then.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

Oh, that is a bummer. I'll just stick to the Necron and Tau one then.

I’m pretty sure you can’t get the
    kastelan robots without the data smiths (the battalion box looks to just be 3 kastelan boxes with a mech priest), I.e. I’m not really sure why their inclusion would put you off if you like the rest of that battalion box.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I just threw out my old apocalypse shit from the last time they did Apocalypse. Which was hilarious for one weekend when we played a 200k game, but every turn took like two hours.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I just threw out my old apocalypse shit from the last time they did Apocalypse. Which was hilarious for one weekend when we played a 200k game, but every turn took like two hours.

Apocalypse always feels like the peak of impractical gaming to me, but I also find carrying around a 2000 point army to be approaching the limits of awkwardness that I'm prepared to tolerate so I am very much not the target audience here.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »

Apocalypse always feels like the peak of impractical gaming to me, but I also find carrying around a 2000 point army to be approaching the limits of awkwardness that I'm prepared to tolerate so I am very much not the target audience here.

I like doing it once or twice a year at a big bbq type thing. And drinking and such.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

This was my X-Wing 1st edition gripe as well. I had one of those Plano toolboxes to carry around all the movement trays and tokens, a giant deck box for the character cards, and then 4 Feldherr custom foam storage cases. Oh, and the non-slide space mat to play on. Every time I brought this over to a friends house I felt like I was moving in.

So far I can still transport each army in it's own army case. I ended up buying the enhanced rules for my factions (I really like easy of browsing them on my iPad). So the case, and an iPad with ruler/tokens/laser pointer/1-page army print outs that all fit nicely in a messenger bag is much more manageable. Of course aside from Arena I haven't even painted up any terrain yet, and I've got no idea what those are like to store or transport.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I have been told that the new apocalypse rules are actually quite streamlined, and it is no longer just an absurdly big game of 40k which takes forever to play. But I guess we'll see how it looks.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    I feel like just transporting, setting up, and moving around models, and coordinating with multiple other people doing the same makes it take a pretty stupid amount of time, regardless of ruleset.
    I like that they're deling more into alternating activations though. Maybe one day they'll have the guts to do it with 40k proper instead of just keeping it in their side-games.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    I still think KT and now Apoc are testing grounds for what will eventually be 9th. Just how AoS had a lot of its systems move over to 40k and then with AoS 2.0 it gained some of the 40k systems that were really highly rated.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    The question is, are we getting 9th edition before Space Marines 2.0?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I'm not necessarily convinced that we'll be getting a 9th edition, GW seemed to be pretty firmly saying for a while that we'll just have 8th edition with updates.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I'm just sitting here wondering how much those clear movement trays will be

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    The apocalypse rules previews sort of make me want to play it with epic models.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    I see one of the new chaos knights on there.

GIVE ME THAT MODEL!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    That was the feeling I got about it too, was that it really reminds me of epic in a few ways. Definitely would be legit to play if you still had the models.

• Options
    The apocalypse info dump is starting and I'm so ready for it.

• Options

When I was last playing 40k it was driving a wedge between the people that could afford or have a large army to do apocalypse with and those that could not.
    This is why I feel the store I was playing at was "giving" away as prizes the prebuilt apoc armies in the small army tournaments. I could maybe do it with my eldar army and what I got as a prize but did nothing with in the tyranid army

That battalion box of the tyranids is partly what I need {the tervigon/ tyrannofex kit} Just what had stopped me is I kind of would like 2 of each but finding a way I could swap or use them as plug ons but I don't know if it's possible

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    The new apoc rules remind me a bit of War of the Ring and I am here for it.

40k has been trying to become Epic @ 28mm for years, it's about damn time they go all in and just do that. Because I am way more interested in that than 40k proper.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    Apocalypse looks a hell of a lot like Epic Armageddon, with AP/AT stats and detachment orders (Advance, Aimed Fire, Assault etc).
    Definitely curious to see if blast markers are just wound counters, or if there's some suppressive element (I doubt it) rather than just for additional battleshock kills.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Khraul wrote: »
    I'm just sitting here wondering how much those clear movement trays will be
    £25/€32.50
    Dakka has a full £/€ release price list here but, as usual, take it with an appropriate measure of sodium chloride.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    "Damage is applied at the end of the turn"
    "DAMAGE IS APPLIED AT THE END OF THE TURN"
    "DAMAGE IS APPLIED AT THE END OF THE FUCKING TURN"

Congratulations GW for taking ~30 years to figure out the most glaring flaw in your entire game system.

Mayday on
  • Options

This was my X-Wing 1st edition gripe as well. I had one of those Plano toolboxes to carry around all the movement trays and tokens, a giant deck box for the character cards, and then 4 Feldherr custom foam storage cases. Oh, and the non-slide space mat to play on. Every time I brought this over to a friends house I felt like I was moving in.

So far I can still transport each army in it's own army case. I ended up buying the enhanced rules for my factions (I really like easy of browsing them on my iPad). So the case, and an iPad with ruler/tokens/laser pointer/1-page army print outs that all fit nicely in a messenger bag is much more manageable. Of course aside from Arena I haven't even painted up any terrain yet, and I've got no idea what those are like to store or transport.

As a side my biggest gripe about X wing is I wanted something other than the models shoot at each other I wanted missions or a campaign. So a bit of random would have been fun to account for instead of swaping out a tie or two for a different tie

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    "Damage is applied at the end of the turn"
    "DAMAGE IS APPLIED AT THE END OF THE TURN"
    "DAMAGE IS APPLIED AT THE END OF THE FUCKING TURN"

Congratulations GW for taking ~30 years to figure out the most glaring flaw in your entire game system.

Blast markers! The Small Arms rule has you place a ‘blast marker’ for each damaging hit. From the context those sound a heckuva lot like Epic: Armageddon blast markers. I also note they neglected to mention saves too.
    I suspect that the ‘resolve damage’ phase is going to be slightly more involved than just “remove a model for each blast marker”…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The space marine data sheet has them having a 6+ save in apocalypse.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    The space marine data sheet has them having a 6+ save in apocalypse.

Not using a d6 either.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    My guess is that "blast markers" are just d12's (theyve shown, with little explosion icons on them). Add blast markers when you take damage. At the end of the round, pick up all your blast markers and roll your saves with them, and apply the unsaved damage.

This also solves the massive problem of "walking ghost syndrome" that can come with this sort of system. If damage is applied at the end of the round, you could shoot at something and "kill" it. The other player knows it's already dead, so they act differently with it (suicidal charges etc).
    But if you roll for saves at the end of the round too, then you dont know if something's died until the end of the round either. Neato.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    The shift to a D12 on anything is a huge shift in gradation. It allows a lot more flexibility. One of the biggest weaknesses of any Warhammer system is its dependence on the d6 instead of a d10,d12,d20 or something like that. The more sides the more you can spread out power levels. I would love if they did that for more of the game.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.