Options

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Just have a video official. Making the ref walk to the replay booth is stupid af.

So many reviews are visible on the first or second play through and then we wait 8 more minutes to wonder how the nfl will screw this one up.

This is the college system. It's not better.

Just because the ncaa has managed to shit the bed doesn’t mean everyone else has to.
    NFL wrote:
    Hold my beer!

The only sports organization worse than the nfl is the ncaa.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Challenges aren't even bad most of the time. In stadium everyone loves it...nothing gets a crowd so reliably pumped regardless of situation as a challenge. They add like 5 minutes to a 3+ hour game. The action is too fast for the human eye to get it consistently right and sometimes you need to double check. Better accurate officiating than a 5 minute faster unfair outcome

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Just have a video official. Making the ref walk to the replay booth is stupid af.

So many reviews are visible on the first or second play through and then we wait 8 more minutes to wonder how the nfl will screw this one up.

Just because the ncaa has managed to shit the bed doesn’t mean everyone else has to.
    NFL wrote:
    Hold my beer!

I understand the point of view, but I couldn't disagree more.

If you want to confine it just to America, I think US Gymnastics has a sporting chance.

If you want to open it up worldwide, both the IOC and FIFA look at the NFL/NCAA and derisively remark "Amatuers.".

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    FIFA. It has to be FIFA by a country mile based on Qatar alone.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Thinking of terrible organizations, here's a fun thought:

Once this down year ends for the Patriots, they're projected to have twelve draft picks this year to reload with.

It's nice to see something finally going the Patriots' way.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I think the only viable "unlimited challenge" thing is basically you risk a timeout. If you win the challenge, you don't lose it. If you lose the challenge, you lose a timeout. Between that, and booth reviews being what they are, you should be able to challenge anything that needs it. At that point, it's on officiating to just get better at making better calls. Maybe once per half a "ruling stands" doesn't cost a timeout? Maybe. Ruling confirmed should always cost a timeout, though. In the short term, some coaches would lose timeouts, but that's just a revision to the job description, get good at challenging, or get someone on staff who you trust who is very good at it.

I'm not sure how I feel about an interaction between challenges and PI calls. If they're going to make them reviewable, my instinct is that it would be like TDs, they'll get called more often and official review'd. Unlike TDs, PIs are almost always clearer, one way or the other, so that's probably fine, although it'll make the game run a bit longer, and there'll be a few spotty calls (as opposed to a few spotty missed calls, which is ...better?)

In theory this could open the door for a team to challenge for a PI call, and that would slow the game down more, and probably lead to a need to revamp how challenges are allotted.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I think the only viable "unlimited challenge" thing is basically you risk a timeout. If you win the challenge, you don't lose it. If you lose the challenge, you lose a timeout. Between that, and booth reviews being what they are, you should be able to challenge anything that needs it. At that point, it's on officiating to just get better at making better calls. Maybe once per half a "ruling stands" doesn't cost a timeout? Maybe. Ruling confirmed should always cost a timeout, though. In the short term, some coaches would lose timeouts, but that's just a revision to the job description, get good at challenging, or get someone on staff who you trust who is very good at it.

I'm not sure how I feel about an interaction between challenges and PI calls. If they're going to make them reviewable, my instinct is that it would be like TDs, they'll get called more often and official review'd. Unlike TDs, PIs are almost always clearer, one way or the other, so that's probably fine, although it'll make the game run a bit longer, and there'll be a few spotty calls (as opposed to a few spotty missed calls, which is ...better?)

In theory this could open the door for a team to challenge for a PI call, and that would slow the game down more, and probably lead to a need to revamp how challenges are allotted.

Are you sure about that? Wouldn’t this basically end up making the Torrey Smith strategy even more viable, as it’s easy to get some contact by running a fast route, and officials will be more likely to throw a flag knowing they could be challenged?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

NFL wrote:
    Hold my beer!

Whether-or-not this is true does not prevent the NFL from trying to top it in some way. Fucking up rules interpretation in new and interesting ways is a cottage industry for the league.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Have more officials making better calls

It’s money

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Have more officials making better calls

It’s money

Working full time to become better referees.

For all the shit baseball refs get for calling balls and strikes bad... theyre pretty damned good all things considered. Look at how well they can do on the basepaths and how close those calls are. They still have some issues around the new sliding rules but theyre all together a good set of officials.

Because theyre payed well and because theyre full time

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    maraji wrote: »
    Unlike TDs, PIs are almost always clearer, one way or the other

Are you sure about that? Wouldn’t this basically end up making the Torrey Smith strategy even more viable, as it’s easy to get some contact by running a fast route, and officials will be more likely to throw a flag knowing they could be challenged?

Compare the frequency of a close/controversial PI situation (whether called or not), to a goal line pile. To me, the latter is both more common and harder to review.

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    at this point, its either all plays are reviewable or you make the last 5 mins have all plays reviewable. The game is already slowed down enough that adding 30 mins t an hour is just a chance for the teams to rest some players, really.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Well... no

The problem is that the standards of overturning are clearly not what the rulebook states. In the interest of “getting it right” the rule which states “overturning occurs when there is clear and convincing evidence” has been replaced with “if you didnt know which way the call was how would you rule?”.

There should be no replay review that takes more than a minute or so... because if it takes that long there could not be clear and convincing evidence.

And additionally “we might get things wrong but we have a method which is fair and consistent” assuages a lot of problems that people have with replays.

If the NFL would actually commit to doing that then reviewing more plays would not be much of an issue. Want to review non-call fouls? Well if the evidence is clear and convincing there would be no problem with it.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Umpires are working nearly every day between March and October.

Football refs work for what boils down to about a month’s worth.

Without overhauling the system, I’m not sure how you make them full-time employees.

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Well?”. There should be no replay review that takes more than a minute or so... because if it takes that long there could not be clear and convincing evidence.

Small point of order is sometimes if the call is overturned they need time to figure out the new down, distance, and time

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    Unlike TDs, PIs are almost always clearer, one way or the other

Compare the frequency of a close/controversial PI situation (whether called or not), to a goal line pile. To me, the latter is both more common and harder to review.

There’s an opportunity to call PI on every passing play. It’s not quite as bad as holding, but it’s close. Also, a TD has a clear rule: break the plane (unless the play was a pass for some asinine reason), PI is all judgement calls.

I’d be afraid any contact at all would be ruled PI in slow motion, and I don’t relish the idea of handicapping DBs further then the current NFL rules do.

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Well?”. There should be no replay review that takes more than a minute or so... because if it takes that long there could not be clear and convincing evidence.

Small point of order is sometimes if the call is overturned they need time to figure out the new down, distance, and time

They can always do that separately. After a minute of review, "The call is overturned. Readjusting the clock/down/distance.", and just take the time to do that, like when they have to do measurements.

But the decision on the call itself is being handled quickly.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    I honestly don’t care if they change the PI rules. Id probably prefer they didn’t.

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Without overhauling the system, I’m not sure how you make them full-time employees.

The only reason this seems like a problem is because of how we’re conditioned to think of work

• Options

The only reason this seems like a problem is because of how we’re conditioned to think of work

Yep. Also, that's assuming that full time refs can't get other responsibilities to take up any "down time". They can do training seminars for upcoming refs, and for players and coaches so that teams know exactly what to expect come the opening of preseason. They can do publicity drives, like going out and umpiring local games. They can do more tape study, collectively with their colleagues, so that there's an active attempt for more consistency on decision making across crews.

It's not hard to figure out how "professional" referees can legitimately fill up their time between March and August.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Or even just Tuesday to Saturday.

• Options
    Larry Fitzgerald will return to play next year.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I'm sure the Cardinals will find some way to squander another year of his career.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Are you forgetting that they are now coached by Sean McVey's bestest friend in the whole world?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    I'm sure the Cardinals will find some way to squander another year of his career.

yeah this is the harshest truth. He's going to have like the corpse of Andy Dalton throwing to him and he'll go "God damn it I should be at home embarrasing my kid"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Pittsburgh also negotiating with Ben Mongoloid.

I really want to see Brown end up in Cleveland and see then dominate the division into the playoffs.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Wow. Clashing in Cleveland: How Hue Jackson, Jimmy Haslam and Baker Mayfield collided.

Some choice quotes:
    But the team had soured on Bridgewater after his interview dinner and workout with team brass; something about Bridgewater's handshake rubbed Haslam the wrong way, he told team executives.
    After a few rounds of interviews, the brass voted. It was 4-1 in favor of Sean McDermott, the Panthers' defensive coordinator, a coach who had crushed his interview and was known to be open to new ideas.

Haslam voted for Hue Jackson, the former Raiders head coach and then-Bengals offensive coordinator.
    The Browns adopted a plan to lose and then warred over whether the team lost too much.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Jesus. How do you follow that shit show?

Pro Bowl game to simulcast on four channels
    ESPN will offer unprecedented coverage of the 2019 Pro Bowl with four different networks – ESPN, ESPN Deportes, ABC and Disney XD (for the first time) – carrying the matchup of AFC vs. NFC stars on Sunday, Jan. 27, at 3 p.m. ET from Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Fla.

Quarterbacks Patrick Mahomes (AFC/Chiefs) and Russell Wilson (NFC/Seahawks), who led their respective teams to the NFL Playoffs, are among the marquee players in this year’s Pro Bowl. The telecast will feature in-game audio of the Pro Bowl quarterbacks and captains, all of whom will wear microphones. Other planned enhancements include C360 cams on the goal posts, Ref cams and Line-to-Gain cam.

ESPN’s Monday Night Football commentator team of Joe Tessitore, Jason Witten, Booger McFarland and Lisa Salters will call the action for ESPN, ABC and Disney XD, while Eduardo Varela, analyst Pablo Viruega and reporter John Sutcliffe will call the game in Spanish for ESPN Deportes. This will be ESPN’s 15th Pro Bowl telecast and the 24th for ABC. The Pro Bowl will also be available via the ESPN app.

So, not only are they going to media blitz a stupid exhibition game, they're going to put an assload of cameras to broadcast it. Something they can't be bothered to do for real, meaningful games. Also, too, the MNF announce crew that everybody loves.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Really wish Romo could just rotate through networks and call big games (and also the pro bowl).

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Jesus. How do you follow that shit show?

Pro Bowl game to simulcast on four channels
    ESPN will offer unprecedented coverage of the 2019 Pro Bowl with four different networks – ESPN, ESPN Deportes, ABC and Disney XD (for the first time) – carrying the matchup of AFC vs. NFC stars on Sunday, Jan. 27, at 3 p.m. ET from Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Fla.

Quarterbacks Patrick Mahomes (AFC/Chiefs) and Russell Wilson (NFC/Seahawks), who led their respective teams to the NFL Playoffs, are among the marquee players in this year’s Pro Bowl. The telecast will feature in-game audio of the Pro Bowl quarterbacks and captains, all of whom will wear microphones. Other planned enhancements include C360 cams on the goal posts, Ref cams and Line-to-Gain cam.

ESPN’s Monday Night Football commentator team of Joe Tessitore, Jason Witten, Booger McFarland and Lisa Salters will call the action for ESPN, ABC and Disney XD, while Eduardo Varela, analyst Pablo Viruega and reporter John Sutcliffe will call the game in Spanish for ESPN Deportes. This will be ESPN’s 15th Pro Bowl telecast and the 24th for ABC. The Pro Bowl will also be available via the ESPN app.

So, not only are they going to media blitz a stupid exhibition game, they're going to put an assload of cameras to broadcast it. Something they can't be bothered to do for real, meaningful games. Also, too, the MNF announce crew that everybody loves.

I figure somebody pitched new ideas for game broadcasts and the Pro Bowl is where their boss's boss's boss gave the approval to run a pilot program.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Really wish Romo could just rotate through networks and call big games (and also the pro bowl).

He's definitely better than average, especially at knowing audibles and check-down progressions, but it's painful listening to him call any game featuring New England.

His slavish devotion to Belicheck and Brady are only outdone in commentary circles by the near 3 hour orgasm of verbal diarrhea that is Aikman doing a Cowboys game.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    ...Disney XD? Really?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    ...Disney XD? Really?

Not like there'd be anything better on it.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Wow. Clashing in Cleveland: How Hue Jackson, Jimmy Haslam and Baker Mayfield collided.

Some choice quotes:
    But the team had soured on Bridgewater after his interview dinner and workout with team brass; something about Bridgewater's handshake rubbed Haslam the wrong way, he told team executives.
    After a few rounds of interviews, the brass voted. It was 4-1 in favor of Sean McDermott, the Panthers' defensive coordinator, a coach who had crushed his interview and was known to be open to new ideas.

Haslam voted for Hue Jackson, the former Raiders head coach and then-Bengals offensive coordinator.
    The Browns adopted a plan to lose and then warred over whether the team lost too much.

Let's not forget the porn:
    The outside anger was felt inside the building. Marketing executives wanted employees to see how fans were engaging with the Browns on social media, so they projected the Browns feed onto a giant wall at the facility. It was like broadcasting talk radio over the entire building, and one day in particular, it was worse than that. One of the marketing staffers entered a search for #dp — for Dawg Pound. The problem was, that hashtag carried a few different meanings, one of which triggered an array of porn to be broadcast onto a wall for the entire office to see for more than 20 minutes, until a tech employee killed the feed.

• Options

He's definitely better than average, especially at knowing audibles and check-down progressions, but it's painful listening to him call any game featuring New England.

His slavish devotion to Belicheck and Brady are only outdone in commentary circles by the near 3 hour orgasm of verbal diarrhea that is Aikman doing a Cowboys game.

I wouldn't call giving positive coverage, if not outright praise, to probably the most successful coach/QB combo in history 'slavish devotion'. Because I'm pretty sure that if LA doesn't shit the bed from stem to stern that McVey/Goff will get some knob gobbling, too.

Also, while I don't pay much attention to the broadcast of Dallas games on FOX, even though Aikman is nearly always on those broadcasts, I never really hear much in the way of out of context praise for Dallas from him. Just a bunch of Old School Footbaw Played The Right Way nonsense coming from a guy who was never all that good at commentary in the first place.

If anything, Aikman is probably just less likely to criticise Dallas. Maybe because he still has some useless silly loyalty since he played there.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    It certainly felt like the pats/chiefs broadcast crew got a stern memo mid - game to loudly praise "good" calls by the officials after the phantom roughing the passer call and the subsequent makeup call that got Belicheck fired up.

Is acknowledging makeup calls against the code of conduct or something?

• Options
    Kid wins science fair by showing Brady is a cheater:
    Some kids make baking soda and vinegar volcanoes for their science fair projects. Others find a way to turn their passion into a science fair project.

Meet Ace Davis, a 10-year-old kid from Lexington, Kentucky who created a science fair project about Tom Brady. While kids in New England might be trying to figure out how to scientifically prove that Brady is the greatest quarterback who ever lived, Ace decided to go in a different direction. He created a science fair project that proves that Brady is a cheater.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    That's kind of gross to encourage that behavior in a 10 year old. At least in my opinion.

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Kid wins science fair by showing Brady is a cheater:
    Some kids make baking soda and vinegar volcanoes for their science fair projects. Others find a way to turn their passion into a science fair project.

Meet Ace Davis, a 10-year-old kid from Lexington, Kentucky who created a science fair project about Tom Brady. While kids in New England might be trying to figure out how to scientifically prove that Brady is the greatest quarterback who ever lived, Ace decided to go in a different direction. He created a science fair project that proves that Brady is a cheater.

this is an origin story about a jerk in a sports bar with the hottest takes

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yeah, you should never encourage a 10-year-old to cheat like that dirty cheater, Tom Brady.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades