As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hades II] These deities are hotter than Hades (Early Access Q2!)

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I really like using the Exagryph with the ability that powers up your attack if you stand in its blast radius, especially when you get the upgrade that let's you fire off 3 before cooldown occurs.

Edit: although I'd imagine aiming the grenades is much easier with a mouse. I'm playing on the Switch and the situation is usually so frantic that the grenade ends up going wherever I was already pointing the joystick before I hit the button.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    There are two correct ways to be that I've found so far:
    1) Dodge fist with Ares/Athena, basically an ambulatory chainsaw
    2) Bow/Crystal Beam, where you aren't even in the same time zone as the enemy but they die regardless.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Playing the heck out of this, having a lot of fun, but imho it’s way too grindy

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Playing the heck out of this, having a lot of fun, but imho it’s way too grindy

An unfortunate function of long early access is that the you have about eight major patches worth of throwing enough content for a couple dozen runs in

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Did the difficulty go down between early access and release?

I played it about a year back and it was a difficult time.... i think i got to Asphodel twice.

Now I picked it back up and I get to Elysium fairly easily...... Did they rejigger the balance a lot or something?

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    They've made biomes slightly shorter as they've added them and tweaked boss balance over time until 1.0 launch.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Yeah, the bosses in particular were extremely difficult during early access (and we had fewer tools to work with)

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    My new way to clear screens: 3 crystals with the festive bog grenade ability, and triple grenades for the Exagryph.. add on some damage bonuses and you can rain death on everything, or focus them all into the same spot for a crazy amount of damage on bosses.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    So I like Diablo 3 a bunch. Children of Morta was tons of fun. I am eternally playing Dead Cells on and off. Given those, would I likely enjoy this game? It certainly has my interest peaked.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Been playing this on the switch, still very much in the just smash the dodge button as often as possible phase, but I'm really enjoying it.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Hades (thankfully) steers widely away from the "minute bonuses over time" approach of the likes of Diablo 3 and Dead Cells, and instead is oriented towards letting you pick from a smaller number of either new, significant upgrades to a given attribute or moderate upgrades to an existing bonus. Dead Cells does this with some abilities (basically, the stuff that adds utility like letting you kick out turrets and whatnot), but Hades tends to add a major change with every upgrade. There's a lot less inching your way towards being powerful and hoping the game drops a not-shitty upgrade on you in the near future.

You also get to choose what your next chance of upgrade type will be, most of the time. Most rooms have two exits and each exit has a symbol to tell you which type of upgrade is ahead; it can be something as simple as a cash reward sitting in a room, or it can be a double upgrade (albeit you have to survive a battle to get the second upgrade).

It's got grind to it, but I'd say it's FAR less grindy than Dead Cells or Diablo 3. The grind also is part of the storytelling as it unlocks conversations, and there is an exchange system so you can use the various types of currency to get the more rare currency types instead of just relying on drops and grinding.

The gameplay is pretty fast and enjoyable with a variety of playstyles to pick from. Enemies also definitely do not tend towards being HP blobs in the endgame where fighting is a huge chore unless you've managed to get overpowered; unless you get some really awful drops (which I've only had happen once or twice so far), there's always a way to make yourself pretty strong.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Oh no.... I unlocked the weapon aspects. So far i have 5 Titan Bloods, and i guess i could unlock the second aspect of 5 weapons but i'm not sure if i shouldn't instead get a godly aspect for bow instead?

Like, you only get 1 titan blood per weapon per game when beating meg, right? I can't farm that resource, right?

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Well been smashing this over the last couple of days. I made a promise to myself that once 1.0 has come out I would dedicate some time.

Got the credits. Finally got the game locked in that I can play with a run comfortably. Time to increase the difficulty now.

It still amazes me after the all the chatting and interactions I’m still seeing new dialogue. It’s great.

Genji-Gloves on
  • Options
    Well been smashing this over the last couple of days. I made a promise to myself that once 1.0 has come out I would dedicate some time.

Got the credits. Finally got the game locked in that I can play with a run comfortably. Time to increase the difficulty now.

It still amazes me after the all the chatting and interactions I’m still seeing new dialogue. It’s great.

yeah, there is a lot of dialogue content for the type of game it is, which makes it all the more impressive!

and now i wonder how Pyre would've been with full voice acting.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Me like good old sword with have less health, heal every attack.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Oh no.... I unlocked the weapon aspects. So far i have 5 Titan Bloods, and i guess i could unlock the second aspect of 5 weapons but i'm not sure if i shouldn't instead get a godly aspect for bow instead?

Like, you only get 1 titan blood per weapon per game when beating meg, right? I can't farm that resource, right?

Theres a dude in the lounge who trades shit, and uThere will be more ways to get blood
    Once you've completed a full run, you'll have the opportunity to add difficulty modifiers, or 'heat', and every time you go up a heat you get more prizes.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    YggiDee wrote: »

Theres a dude in the lounge who trades shit, and uThere will be more ways to get blood
    Once you've completed a full run, you'll have the opportunity to add difficulty modifiers, or 'heat', and every time you go up a heat you get more prizes.

One more way to get blood:
    Charon always sells a "boss tier" resource (blood, diamond, or ambrosia) for about 1000 obols in the final zone.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yes! I did it! I took down the Temple of Styx boss!
    And then his second phase kicked in, the cheating motherfucker

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    YggiDee wrote: »

One more way to get blood:
    Charon always sells a "boss tier" resource (blood, diamond, or ambrosia) for about 1000 obols in the final zone.

And one more I forgot!
    The Fated List in your bedroom hands out various prizes and there's another thirty blood in there.

• Options
    sgt robsgt rob Pure Rock Fury Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    So I like Diablo 3 a bunch. Children of Morta was tons of fun. I am eternally playing Dead Cells on and off. Given those, would I likely enjoy this game? It certainly has my interest peaked.

I greatly enjoyed ALL of those games, so it's probably a safe best you'd like this one too.

Alien imposter. Pretender. I'll keep you safe now. Close to my heart.
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I've been having a rollicking time with this lately. About a baker's dozen runs in, and I feel like I've been doing pretty good so far. It only took me a couple tries to get out of Tartarus (died to the boss on my introductory run), and my last three runs have been stopped by the boss of Elysium. I really need to stop spamming dash and attack so much and take each encounter more methodically -- I can tell I'm losing way too much health by rushing in to combat too quickly. I'm a big fan of the Aegis Shield so far, though I've been switching things up regularly for Darkness bonuses.

Anyways, there's no real point to this post other than to just connect to the community. Game's still feeling good, I'm just hoping that enthusiasm sees me to the end. (I just remembered I never got the dark ending or tried any Hell Mode tiers in One Step From Eden, that's a game that's gonna be rough to return to if I ever do.)

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Me like good old sword with have less health, heal every attack.

All of my deepest runs have been with that

Elysium boss kicks my ass though most of the time

• Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Earlier today I accepted that I'm just not good enough at this game, I'll never get past the Elysium boss, or finish the game. Since then I've beaten him with 4 different weapons. Unfortunately the next boss is way too hard and I've accepted that I'll never be able to beat him.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Earlier today I accepted that I'm just not good enough at this game, I'll never get past the Elysium boss, or finish the game. Since then I've beaten him with 4 different weapons. Unfortunately the next boss is way too hard and I've accepted that I'll never be able to beat him.

Don’t let that discourage you.

Unlock double dash, Athenas Deflect on Dash will make the game a lot easier. Dionysus lob cast is good for damage as well or Zeus.

I felt the same when I was playing through since early access but it’s all clicked now. The game will reward you with continuous play.

Keep fighting!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

When in doubt, stop and analyze.

For example, that boss
    It's always better to dash into Asterius whenever he is leaping. He always leaps a minimum distance, so you will always travel under him and end up in a position to dash back into him to get a few shots in before his next attack. His main attacks are iirc swing-swing-leap, leap-leap-leap, charge, spin, and swing-swing-swing. Lead him into a pillar or the wall whenever he charges.

Theseus is basically ignorable for most of the fight, don't waste any time on him.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Spesr is best weapon

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Spesr is best weapon

You appear to have misspelled shield

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    One thing I like about this game is that every god is worthwhile to invest into as heavily as you would like.

I've had really good success with all of them. That doesn't include super high heat levels, since I'm around the 8s.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Love the game.

Why the fuck can I suddenly not attack with any of my weapons or do anything at completely random moments? Switch version btw.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Whelk wrote: »
    One thing I like about this game is that every god is worthwhile to invest into as heavily as you would like.

I've had really good success with all of them. That doesn't include super high heat levels, since I'm around the 8s.

People like going deep into one? I'd have assumed the majority of good builds spread out the boons, like picking a status effect from one of them, and then a better means of attacking and applying that effect from others.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    I waited til the game hit 1.0 despite buying the game ages ago. It's a damn masterpiece.

I finally unlocked all the weapons. I'm still not sure what I like best yet. But, should I upgrade anything yet?

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    Catalase wrote: »
    I waited til the game hit 1.0 despite buying the game ages ago. It's a damn masterpiece.

I finally unlocked all the weapons. I'm still not sure what I like best yet. But, should I upgrade anything yet?

There's a Prophecy about unlocking all the (non-secret) weapon aspects, so getting them all even if you don't plan to use them is something you'll probably want to do eventually. If you're desperate for a run clear, I'd say pick your favorite base Aspect and max its level out.

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    Yeah I've yet to clear a full run, haven't managed to be
    Thesus
    yet. Will take whatever leg-up I can get

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    Septus wrote: »

People like going deep into one? I'd have assumed the majority of good builds spread out the boons, like picking a status effect from one of them, and then a better means of attacking and applying that effect from others.

I like setting up one god to get a legendary and then the others to support the style with duo boons. Sometimes it's fun to see just how many duos you can cram into a run, though. I've gotten 5, which is probably the most you can do.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Septus wrote: »

A lot of the gods' boons really come into their own when you have additional ones that stack modifier effects on the first. My easiest runs have been Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon runs where I stack the initial damage (lightning, doom, and knockback) with modifiers that add even more damage and effects.

Poseidon's knockback splash plus additional damage from hitting barriers plus rupture plus more damage from hitting barriers plus even more damage to bosses using knockback booms bolstered by Athena's invulnerability while dashing and Hermes extra dashes let me get through the last fight very quickly while taking very little damage.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Zeus and Poseidon in particular can carry a run on dashes alone.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Got all the way to the boss of Elysian.

Lost the run because I could not attack, cast spells or dash for a full five seconds.

What am I missing here?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Got all the way to the boss of Elysian.

Lost the run because I could not attack, cast spells or dash for a full five seconds.

What am I missing here?

I don't think I've seen this. Could be a Switch-specific bug? Does it matter whether you're using disconnected joycons vs. being in handheld mode?

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    I can definitely say that in 20 hours of play I haven't seen any in-game effect that would produce that result, so my vote is hardware defect as well.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Sounds like a switch issue, yeah — almost nothing in the game lasts for five seconds